Review: SVS Sound 16" PB16-Ultra Ported 1500W Subwoofer - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,325
Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5529 Post(s)
Liked: 10648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Does anyone know if there is an article/review comparing the PB-16 Ultra and the Powersound Audio V3600i? There is a thread on AVS comparing the PB-13 Ultra to the V3600i, but I was wondering if anyone had written a similar comparison with the PB-16 Ultra. Thanks.
Hi,

I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but I think that I could make some observations which would be reasonably valid. First, the V3600i, with it's dual 18" woofers is inherently a much more powerful sub. SVS's ported Ultras are intended to be tuned low for maximum performance, and the PB16 has about 4db more output than the PB13 from about 35Hz down. From about 30Hz or 35Hz down, the PB16 in extended mode, would compare favorably with the V3600i. In fact, they should be pretty well neck-and-neck. But, from about 35Hz and up the PSA sub would be capable of creating far more SPL.

If you were trying to decide between the two, the PSA sub would give you more overall output for your money. I am fortunate enough to be able to have multiple PB16's, so I don't lack for any output, at any frequency. And, I like the fact that, when I really crank my subs, I am getting relatively more low bass than I am mid-bass. But, most people probably would value having the additional mid-bass that the V3600i can supply, while still being able to go low.

There can be a lot of reasons to select a particular subwoofer. And, in my opinion, any of them can sound good, so I'm not sure there is much to choose from, in that respect. They are all designed by people who know what they are doing. But, if you are picking a sub, based mainly on output, then either the V3600i, or the Cap 1400, will have more overall output, throughout the subwoofer frequency range, than the PB16.

I may sound as if I am trying to discourage you from buying a PB16, and I don't mean to do that. I like mine very much, and the simple fact is that relatively few people who buy a really powerful ported sub ever find its output limits. Most people just don't listen that loud, with that much sub boost. But, I did want to give you an honest answer regarding comparative output.

Regards,
Mike
Tim Glover, Cal68 and Hopinater like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 70 Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked: 11097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I may sound as if I am trying to discourage you from buying a PB16, and I don't mean to do that. I like mine very much, and the simple fact is that relatively few people who buy a really powerful ported sub ever find its output limits. Most people just don't listen that loud, with that much sub boost. But, I did want to give you an honest answer regarding comparative output.

Regards,
Mike
I agree Mike, very few of us ever push our subs to their output limits. It's nice to have the extra headroom if you feel the need but usually that's done in demo situations when we are showing off our subs to our friends or if we want to show them what it's like to be at the epicenter of an earthquake.
imagic and mthomas47 like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #63 of 70 Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,325
Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5529 Post(s)
Liked: 10648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I agree Mike, very few of us ever push our subs to their output limits. It's nice to have the extra headroom if you feel the need but usually that's done in demo situations when we are showing off our subs to our friends or if we want to show them what it's like to be at the epicenter of an earthquake.
And, even in those situations, I have found that most guests get impressed before I do.
Hopinater and mikeTRON250LM like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 70 Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM
S6A
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Not sure where you got that info from, but as an owner of the JL Audio F112 and F212, they both have balanced inputs and outputs.

As for sound difference, no, but balanced is better at keeping any potential hum at bay.
Thanks and yes, for the record, I was mistaken on the balanced inputs/outputs.

As an owner of an F112, any chance you've been able to compare it to the SB13 or SB16?
S6A is offline  
post #65 of 70 Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 PM
S6A
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6A View Post

As an owner of an F112, any chance you've been able to compare it to the SB13 or SB16?
Or the F113? I'm having a tough time deciding mainly between the F113 and SB16. The price, of course, is the main consideration between the two.
S6A is offline  
post #66 of 70 Old 03-26-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but I think that I could make some observations which would be reasonably valid. First, the V3600i, with it's dual 18" woofers is inherently a much more powerful sub. SVS's ported Ultras are intended to be tuned low for maximum performance, and the PB16 has about 4db more output than the PB13 from about 35Hz down. From about 30Hz or 35Hz down, the PB16 in extended mode, would compare favorably with the V3600i. In fact, they should be pretty well neck-and-neck. But, from about 35Hz and up the PSA sub would be capable of creating far more SPL.

If you were trying to decide between the two, the PSA sub would give you more overall output for your money. I am fortunate enough to be able to have multiple PB16's, so I don't lack for any output, at any frequency. And, I like the fact that, when I really crank my subs, I am getting relatively more low bass than I am mid-bass. But, most people probably would value having the additional mid-bass that the V3600i can supply, while still being able to go low.

There can be a lot of reasons to select a particular subwoofer. And, in my opinion, any of them can sound good, so I'm not sure there is much to choose from, in that respect. They are all designed by people who know what they are doing. But, if you are picking a sub, based mainly on output, then either the V3600i, or the Cap 1400, will have more overall output, throughout the subwoofer frequency range, than the PB16.

I may sound as if I am trying to discourage you from buying a PB16, and I don't mean to do that. I like mine very much, and the simple fact is that relatively few people who buy a really powerful ported sub ever find its output limits. Most people just don't listen that loud, with that much sub boost. But, I did want to give you an honest answer regarding comparative output.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for the detailed response Mike. It answers all my questions. Much appreciated.

Cal68
mthomas47 likes this.

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
post #67 of 70 Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrazda View Post


Number 2 has arrived!!
OMG the walls are going to crack!
DVD MAN and imagic like this.
wse is offline  
post #68 of 70 Old 04-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
DVD MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My PB-16 Ultra's has arrived!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17759723_1525331984166762_1904815583526734729_n.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2075401   Click image for larger version

Name:	17862641_1525331977500096_1077096751044168067_n.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2075409   Click image for larger version

Name:	17799105_1525332017500092_1497531273939449904_n.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2075417   Click image for larger version

Name:	17862589_1525332014166759_8454394737049212111_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2075425  

Last edited by DVD MAN; 04-25-2017 at 05:51 PM.
DVD MAN is offline  
post #69 of 70 Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Member
 
atoddiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Excellent review! Pretty much sealed my decision to not go dual SB-2000's!
imagic likes this.
atoddiv is offline  
post #70 of 70 Old 06-12-2017, 03:02 AM
Member
 
tv4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to decide whether I should get one of these or a used B4 plus I've found across the country hehe. I currently have a PB12-2/ISD I bought second hand a while back, but I want to get something new for my first house I'm closing on later this month...
tv4184 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
pb16-ultra , subwoofer , Svs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off