Car Sub Amp Temperature? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Orijen
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Car Sub Amp Temperature?

Hey guys.

So for those who don't know, I have an EDGE EDB12A Car Subwoofer that I use in my home. It's powered by a 600W PSU and works fine. Sounds great now after having to fiddle with the Gain and Bass Boost a bit. I am aware the gain is just a balancer and I am also aware that turning up the bass boost too much will put more strain on the amp. However, I have the bass boost turned up to the middle (from min. low to max. high) and I've noticed that the amp gets really warm still... so I've attempted a makeshift "DIY" method of trying to monitor the external temp of the heatsink with a temp probe that connects to my PC's NZXT Fan controller and it says that the temperature of the outside of the heatsink is 40'C?

What should the temperature be before I should let it cool down like some kind of temperature monitor that peeps when it goes over a certain temp?


Last edited by .Kyle; 03-30-2017 at 03:40 PM.
.Kyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 03:38 PM
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
If you can't touch it it's too hot.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
If you can't touch it it's too hot.
I can touch it but it feels quite hot. I can keep my hand on it for over 1 minute and it doesn't burn but it is quite warm. (temp probe said 40'C) What is the highest safe temp? 50, 55? How will I know if it is too hot? Will the "Protect" LED light up and/or power it off?
.Kyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Orijen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kyle View Post
Hey guys.

So for those who don't know, I have an EDGE EDB12A Car Subwoofer that I use in my home. It's powered by a 600W PSU and works fine. Sounds great now after having to fiddle with the Gain and Bass Boost a bit. I am aware the gain is just a balancer and I am also aware that turning up the bass boost too much will put more strain on the amp. However, I have the bass boost turned up to the middle (from min. low to max. high) and I've noticed that the amp gets really warm still... so I've attempted a makeshift "DIY" method of trying to monitor the external temp of the heatsink with a temp probe that connects to my PC's NZXT Fan controller and it says that the temperature of the outside of the heatsink is 40'C?

What should the temperature be before I should let it cool down like some kind of temperature monitor that peeps when it goes over a certain temp?


Depending on the amp, most car amps have a thermal protection mode and will cut off if they are getting too hot. Look in your manual.
Orijen is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I do believe that this is the manual for my sub. That being said after proof-reading the entire PDF it does not say anything about this subject. :/
Attached Files
File Type: zip edb12a_user_guide.zip (905.2 KB, 11 views)
.Kyle is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Orijen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kyle View Post
I do believe that this is the manual for my sub. That being said after proof-reading the entire PDF it does not say anything about this subject. :/


Interesting.. I've never heard of that brand. Is this considered a quality AMP? All my AMPS, PDXV9 in my scooter and all my JL's in my car have thermal protection.


Anywho, If you can hold your hand on the amp for a minute like you said, it's no where near thermal or anything to be concerned about.
.Kyle likes this.
Orijen is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here's a better photo of it, but yeah, I think it's a quality amp. Not too sure though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_023948.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	2059017  
.Kyle is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Member
 
kobra_commader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lansing IL
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
to me this setup doesnt look like its getting enough power with the PS power supply wires being that small. IDK if this has anything to do with the temp but id try to get some the other 12 volt rail or more 12 volt wires to the amp.
kobra_commader is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys.

Since this temp concern the amp and sub has been working beautifully.. but the settings are as follows;
Crossover: 0
Bass Boost: Possibly 6dB? It's not 10dB or 12dB that's for sure.
Gain is just under half way.

With these settings it's been fine, although a lot of songs I play (Bryson Tiller for example) have a lot of bass and it's heating up the amp. I've had it on for the last 3 hours as I am doing my graphic design work and some web development for my project. Throughout the last 3 hours or so, it's been on and constant. Would this be a reason as to the amp being hotter than it has been before? It is hotter than I've asked about in this thread, I can only touch or hold a touch on the amp for about 8 seconds before it starts hurting my hand. If it does shut off, will it damage it at all? It's never shut off on me as of yet and the PSU has powered it well. I need one of those temperature guns or what ever they're called to get the temp of the heatsink.
.Kyle is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bump
.Kyle is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kyle View Post
Hey guys.

Since this temp concern the amp and sub has been working beautifully.. but the settings are as follows;
Crossover: 0
Bass Boost: Possibly 6dB? It's not 10dB or 12dB that's for sure.
Gain is just under half way.

With these settings it's been fine, although a lot of songs I play (Bryson Tiller for example) have a lot of bass and it's heating up the amp. I've had it on for the last 3 hours as I am doing my graphic design work and some web development for my project. Throughout the last 3 hours or so, it's been on and constant. Would this be a reason as to the amp being hotter than it has been before? It is hotter than I've asked about in this thread, I can only touch or hold a touch on the amp for about 8 seconds before it starts hurting my hand. If it does shut off, will it damage it at all? It's never shut off on me as of yet and the PSU has powered it well. I need one of those temperature guns or what ever they're called to get the temp of the heatsink.
I agree with the post above about the power wires - starving the amp for current will result in major heat generation, so that should be an easy fix. Not sure what you options are but I personally don't use less than 8 gauge power/ground in any car application and most of the time go with 4 gauge by default. That said, your run looks to be much shorter than the typical car install so a smaller gauge should work.

If swapping the wires doesn't help than you could just go by a computer cooling fan or something, set it up to be blowing across the heatsink, and attach to your 12V on a ground. Not a particularly attractive solution but it is cheap and effective in a situation where looks may not matter.
KSpan is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
I agree with the post above about the power wires - starving the amp for current will result in major heat generation, so that should be an easy fix. Not sure what you options are but I personally don't use less than 8 gauge power/ground in any car application and most of the time go with 4 gauge by default. That said, your run looks to be much shorter than the typical car install so a smaller gauge should work.

If swapping the wires doesn't help than you could just go by a computer cooling fan or something, set it up to be blowing across the heatsink, and attach to your 12V on a ground. Not a particularly attractive solution but it is cheap and effective in a situation where looks may not matter.
Thanks for your quality response, KSpan, highly appreciated!

I have still had some heat generation on the amp, especially when I found and tested this song on my sub:
https://soundcloud.com/audiomission/...ission-african
The bass was booming. I tested to see how far I could push the bass boost as I increased from 3 -> 6 -> 12dB, increased the gain slightly and increased the crossover slightly for a bit more deeper bass...the sub handled it great but the amp did heat up quite quickly.

As soon as I get my new car I'll be disconnecting the PSU from the amp power connectors and installing it in my new car. Hopefully. That is of course unless I get this one instead:
http://www.halfords.com/technology/c...ofer-enclosure

Last edited by .Kyle; 06-18-2017 at 07:37 AM.
.Kyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off