2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Subwoofer for my surround

So I am in the midst of building my first surround sound having never had anything more than crappy TV speakers I am quite the amateur at this so please be patient.I am looking to now add my subwoofer this is A little info on what I have going on.

My receiver: Yamaha RX-A660

My Front end speakers:B&W 685 S2's

center speaker: B&W HTMS2 S2

My listening area :Carpeted 13x20x8 I have one small entranceway for my door at one end and two small hallways at the opposite end of my room for the kitchen and bedrooms.we sit about 9' from the TV however we do have A wood burning stove on a rather large stone slab at one end of the room I am not home right now but it is about a foot and a half high by 6' x 7' if this makes a difference I can get exact dimensions when I get home.

Surround sound use: So I listen to all TV Movies/shows/gaming there will be absolutley NO music played through this other than music through TV shows/Movies.

What I am looking for: Something that will blend well with my 685's I do not need wall shaking loud bass just something that emphasizes the deep bass effects in Movies

Looks : not important

Size : not overly important but would like to keep small not A deal breaker though for the right Sub & price

So after searching and getting some opinions from some other posts here are A few Sub's that I have been tossing around I value any of your opinions as I would like to make A decision on what direction I am going to go in over the next few days.

Speedwoofer 10S (very highly recommended by alot of people on this forum)

SVS PB-1000 (also very highly recommended)

HSU VTF-1 MK3 (recomended by quite A few people on here)

Emotiva BASX12 (also highly recomended by quite A few of you)

Definitive PROSUB800 (this was recomended by the BB I bought my speakers from I may be able to wheel and deal with the price not sure if it is as good as the for mentioned though)

Paradigm PDR-100 (this was recommended by An audio place other than bestbuy that I have locally that I forgot about they said it will gel very nicely with my B&W's which they sell)

So this is my list I am sure there is quite A few more but these are the ones the top 4 anyway that have gotten the most thumbs up

any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated

Thank-you

Last edited by Jester102; 04-24-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update I reached out to HSU earlier today and as expected they are so so on the VTF-1 for my room dimensions,I e-mailed them back seeing if the VTF-2 would be A better fit that would push me slightly over my budget waiting to hear back from them.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester102 View Post
Just an update I reached out to HSU earlier today and as expected they are so so on the VTF-1 for my room dimensions,I e-mailed them back seeing if the VTF-2 would be A better fit that would push me slightly over my budget waiting to hear back from them.
Always get the most powerful sub you can afford or fit in your space. There's no such thing as having too much subwoofer.
ChromeJob and indebtbassfreak like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Subwoofer for my surround

I anted up for the VTF-2 after considering slightly lower cost subs (-1, SVS, BIC F12), and couldn't be happier.

You don't need a sub that "blends" with your main speakers.

If your listening is all movies and TV, a ported sub is probably the way to go, but the HSU is still flexible so you can tune it to suit your tastes and the room.

I've read others trying out the SVS and RSL subs, being a little disappointed and sending them back. To date, I haven't read someone who tried out a Hsu but sent it back. What's that say…

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8575 Post(s)
Liked: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester102 View Post
Can't go wrong with HSU imho.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Always get the most powerful sub you can afford or fit in your space. There's no such thing as having too much subwoofer.

Great advice.

Buy once... cry once
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2612
This is just an FYI that the OP has started a new thread here: 2080 sq ft room Sub Suggestions
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank-you I did mention it in my other thread this I think was more of A generalization as the other is for my exact dimensions of my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page