Is my woofer dead? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is my woofer dead?

So today I had my Home Theater set-up…well, set up and I was playing Demon's Souls, I had my woofer volume set to -6(the minimum on my av samsung ht-dm150) since I don't like the woofer too boomy, loud etc. however I never wanted to have no bass at all, I went to take a wiss quickly and when I came back everything sounded like a tin can, the ambient air sounds were really atmospheric because of the woofer, and the punches sounded really good but suddenly it was missing that thump, and that woosh(?
I then set the volume from my woofer to +6 and it was back but now it sounded all weird, distorted if you will, and it would only be present on stuff such as when an attack landed, I tried music and it seemed to only play the REEAAALLY low frequency bits, such as the drums on Floor by P-Model leaving the rest sounding like a bad phone speaker
Then I unplugged it for 10 minutes and when i tried it again, this time playing Symphony of the Night I managed to catch the woofer in it's old glory, it made everything rumble because it was at +6, but suddenly it sounded like a hiss for a few seconds then went back to the let's call it bad-mode. I turned the Amp off and on again and now it seems to be working in a mix of bad-mode and former glory, it still kinda sounds like a tin can but I can definitely hear it reaching for the more high frequency low frequencies(?
What's there to do? I refuse to believe it's the woofer, a google search made me believe maybe a fuse died and the woofer died as well, but it does work…just, less powerful
The amp could be the culprit, though I wish it's not cuz I'm short on cash(THOUGH I DO NEED TO UPGRADE). Any help or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
P.S: yes it's all properly hooked, it's been for years, and I did double-check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-09-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 185
It's possible that the woofer could be dead or not working properly.
Is there a way you can reach the woofer see if the cone can move in and out freely.
It seems like it's stuck.
Maybe the amp is dying.

7.2: Yamaha RX-A830 | Klipsch Synergy F30 + C20 + Sub12x2 + Onkyo HTIB Surrounds | Epson HC2040 Silver Ticket 120 inch Grey Screen
5.1: Yamaha RX-V475 | Mirage Omni 550 Onkyo HTIB Center + Surrounds + 12 inch Sub | Samsung 55 inch Smart 3DTV
post #3 of 3 Old 06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
It's possible that the woofer could be dead or not working properly.
Is there a way you can reach the woofer see if the cone can move in and out freely.
It seems like it's stuck.
Maybe the amp is dying.
What kind and cost is the speaker with the funny bass driver? It sounds like maybe the voice coil got smashed by a big excursion. If it is a high quality driver it may pay to have it re-coned If the speaker is under $100 it would probably not be worth reconing to replace the voice coil. Then it may be cheapest to replace the speaker bass driver or the whole speaker if necessary. You could tap a 9 volt battery with the speaker leads and see if the woofer jumps one direction. Then reverse the leads and see if uit jumps the other direction both with no "scratching sound" If it moves smoothly it is probably not the voice coil.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
dead , woofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page