"Shallow" SUB needed and required: Can't find one: NEED HELP!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Alright. So what if I did something more along these lines (see attached pic)

If my Room Size = 151.5"W x 185.75"L x 156"H or 2540.518 ft3

I can go as deep with a baffle wall as is absolutely necessary. I was just thinking I could go up instead of going out that is all. I don't want to reduce or restrict my subs. I'm just wanting to get my air volume in the WxH directions instead of the D so that I can give as much throw distance for my PJ.

So multiple 15" 's are more than fine. Right? Is an 18 going to go any deeper than an 15"? I mean it's just WxH volume I could have one 18 in the middle. And spread 3-4 more (or however many I could fit in my WxH volume) around a single wall 151.5x156 minus 3 mains and potential 2 heights eventually. Right?

Updated w new pictures:
Baffle Wall, Baffle Wall w Purple showing available space for subs, Top View of proposed room. First row seat 3, HT seats, forward recliners, second row stationary auditorium / stadium seats (hopefully rockers).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle_Wall_Start.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	2245753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Available_Sub.Space.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2249689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2249697  

Last edited by Michael Stiedle; 07-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
If you're up for DIY, check out the https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...02-design.html - design is 16" x 24" x 48" ported, & multiple build threads associated with it.
Yes, thanks @scotthal I'm thinking I'm going down the DIY path for sure. I have some depth. I was just trying to minimize my depth and gain it back in my room. My Mains are 12" so 16" in this scenario (I think is the Depth) isn't far from that. And I could use the 4" of the studded wall as well. So I could conceivably make my baffle wall 12" from the front face of the studded wall then?
post #33 of 47 Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Here's the 12" deep, 15" ported slim sub we co-developed with PSA: https://store.acousticfrontiers.com/...woofer-cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awe dude you are awesome. I love your work @Nyal Mellor . I have spent 100's of hours on your site studying your work that's visible. I'd love to pick your brain on this. It was your site that got me interested in the baffle wall to begin with. Please look for my Thread (future) on building my baffle wall I need to get started. Look at post #31 I think it was. I just put up my first pic of my first thoughts and concept for the baffle wall. I'm going to need a lot of your help. Along with all the other experts here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stiedle View Post
Awe dude you are awesome. I love your work @Nyal Mellor . I have spent 100's of hours on your site studying your work that's visible. I'd love to pick your brain on this. It was your site that got me interested in the baffle wall to begin with. Please look for my Thread (future) on building my baffle wall I need to get started. Look at post #31 I think it was. I just put up my first pic of my first thoughts and concept for the baffle wall. I'm going to need a lot of your help. Along with all the other experts here.
The link to your thread is broken...

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #35 of 47 Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

lol. @Nyal Mellor . It wasn't broken, I hadn't created a thread yet. I was trying to figure out just what to say. But I'll get it started. It is now located at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post54425865

Last edited by Michael Stiedle; 07-20-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #36 of 47 Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Michael,

If you want to get the most out of your subs, install two in diagonally opposing corners. We do this for clients all the time and it works very well. You don't have a very large room so I recommend (2) Triad InWall Bronze/4 SlimSubs. Each sub comes with it's own RackAmp.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...onze4-slimsub/

If I can be of any help finding a Triad dealer please let me know.

Dawn
Marc Alexander likes this.

[email protected]
post #37 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Not sure if you have any interest in an "On wall" sub? Here is one with dimensions of (HxWxD) 14.25 X 44.5 X 3.5 . It might be worth a look? http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=27

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #38 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5528 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
I don't understand why the OP doesn't just contact/contract @Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound) or @dgage (Deep Sea Sound) to customize a solution? I have seen many of their custom installs with seamless subwoofer integration.

OP, are you trying to DIY?
post #39 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

OP? what's that?

Yes, Almost all DIY proj's.

I can't afford to pay Mark for his innovation and design. I'm wishing I could afford his Sparks and Spark XC's and some Embers. LOL. Big $$$ for that technology. Maybe when I grow up. I have reached out to Mark with an email for help back right after Axpona2017. Still haven't heard from him. I think my email fell into a deep black hole.

I'm not familiar with @dgage . Can you give me the brief?
post #40 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5528 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
OP=Original Poster

Axpona? Yeah, that email probably got lost. I don't think a Seaton solution will be any more than Triad. I'm pretty sure Mark is in the office this week so it won't hurt to place a phone call for discussion. He also has great suggestion for DIY.

I've seen some installs where David Gage installed subwoofers right into the riser. He is very responsive www.deepseasound.com .
post #41 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

lol. I can't afford Triad either. That's why i like the DIY.

I'll have to check out @dgage though. Maybe he'll share some thoughts.
post #42 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Hi Michael,

I'd be glad to help out if I can but with my current 18", it is pretty far away from being a candidate for a shallow sub. The 18" driver I use is 80 lbs with a mounting depth of almost 12". Add in the high-excursion surround that can reach out about 4" and its pretty far away from a shallow sub. I did help @Aareses with a custom in-riser subwoofer and we barely fit it with enough room in front of the driver to handle excursion. But he's quite happy with his sub system and entire theater, which was a relief since he was a top car stereo competitor back in the day (sponsored by Rockford Fosgate). And by back in the day, don't ask as I don't want to date myself or him. LOL!

But if you think I can help or answer questions, don't hesitate to reach out.
Aareses likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #43 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
lol. I can't afford Triad either. That's why i like the DIY.

I'll have to check out @dgage though. Maybe he'll share some thoughts.
Start a post in the DIY section then.

You can get full build options there.
post #44 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
...which was a relief since he was a top car stereo competitor back in the day (sponsored by Rockford Fosgate). And by back in the day, don't ask as I don't want to date myself or him. LOL!...
Lol. Me too. But the mid-late 80's was a long time ago design wise...lol...my windshield leaked because it didn't have any goo around it because I had approximately an 1 1/2" glass movement in each direction in my cutlass back in "the day". Running just a single 18 and 2- 10's or 12's don't remember and Linear Power Amps...dang those were beautiful military spec'd amps...they kicked some serious butts. That was back before Fosy got into amps too. Back then, at that time, they only made our subs.........oh the days.....We once made our heard skip a beat....It was on a Thomas Dolby song....sure wish I remembered the name..it thumped so dang hard.....lol....it'd take your breath away!
post #45 of 47 Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Bringing back memories. Linear Power were my favorite amps; had some up until about 5 years ago when I gave them to my brother in law. I now run class D for everything.

Just last Friday I was picking up an order of sub drivers from Stereo Integrity, who happens to share space with Sundown Audio. Sundown gave me a quick demonstration of their demo van with 9 15" high-excursion drivers and over 70,000 watts (7,500w per amp/sub). Turned it on and when the bass note hit (~25 Hz), my hair instantly started dancing. Not my style but fun nonetheless.

And I agree, post a thread in the DIY forum as there are many knowledgeable and helpful people. Really some great people on AVS and I'm fortunate to call quite a few friends.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #46 of 47 Old 07-28-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

what!!!?????? No way?! Ask him, please, please, please for one? Oh, I sound like a school child on christmas day. I lost all mine about 10 yrs ago I guess, in a severe storm that flooded my floorboards and drowned them. I held a memorial service that even the president was invited to. Seriously, I want one! I tried performing surgery on mine but didn't have a replacement board or the right replacement parts. I'm serious. What will he trade, bargain, or swap for?

No sh&%!! 70k. Wow!! 7500 ea. And I thought running mono at 3000 was awesome. That has to be killer.

Serious dude, pick up the phone. You heard me. Pick up the phone, that's right, now text him.

Lol, you funny thing. I just left your area like 2 months ago. Bought my wife a car over at Grayson. Then came back in town a month later and had a guy there do some custom decaling for me to it. I've got a good friend who lives there I visit whenever I pass through..Funny..if I'd just known then, I'd have to have made a play date to visit your awesome studio.
post #47 of 47 Old 04-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Lol. It is now 230a. I have been reading on AVS since 7p. 1000's and 1000's of posts. But still to many to read and too much info to get through. So I'm asking for help.

Building my first "dedicated" theater ever.
Have decided to build a Baffle Wall. My room isn't that big and my depth will just be eaten up with the standard traditional size sub. I was planning to go 18" but that really is deep considering it's only about 185.75" in depth total, so minus 18 becomes pretty deep.

So I was wondering if the masses knew of different subs that weren't so deep. For instance I looked at Wisdom's subs, but not happening at 4k$ each. And before you ask, I'm not sure what my budget is, I just know I want to be sensible in price, quality and sound. I mean I want to pay as little as I have to, to get the job done. You know how it is with building a theater. There's always something else to spend your money on. Plus Sound&Vision said that the Wisdom SCS sub has no explosive punch for the movie geek. A boy's gotta have his punch.

I like the Seaton subs, but i'm not sure Mark has anything shallower than 15 5/8". And that's the old F2 if I can still find those being sold.

So what size you ask. Well, good question. I'd like to go as big as I can go in the space. What I'd truly love is for Seaton or JTR or SVS or any other 1300-2800 Sub to be like 15-18" Cone, 10-12" deep and as tall as it needs to be to acquire the cubic air space it needs. Height I've got.

So what other choices do I have?

what did you end up with? I'm in the same position, really want 12". How much was the Mark Seaton? Any other high end ones 12" I'm willing to spend 2-3K. I need 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page