Bass, LFE Trim and Low Pass. HELP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tom Vodhanel

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bass, LFE Trim and Low Pass. HELP

I have at least four settings here that relate to bass and I'm lost as to what they should all equate to.

Volume:
Obviously this is just the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (a physical toggle), pretty straightforward. I move it up and down based on need but typically keep it around 70%.

Low Pass:
Another physical toggle on the subwoofer itself, ranges from 60Hz to 120Hz . No idea what to use here.

LFE Trim:
This is a setting on the receiver that ranges from -10db to 0db. I currently have it at 0 but not sure why...

Bass:
This is the bass tone setting on the receiver. I usually keep it about middle of the road and manage the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (see first line).

Any suggestions here? I'm lost!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by diofree View Post
I have at least four settings here that relate to bass and I'm lost as to what they should all equate to.

Volume:
Obviously this is just the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (a physical toggle), pretty straightforward. I move it up and down based on need but typically keep it around 70%.

You want what ever room correction software your receiver or pre/pro uses to set your sub trim around -8 - -10.

Low Pass:
Another physical toggle on the subwoofer itself, ranges from 60Hz to 120Hz . No idea what to use here.

This should be turned all the way to 120hz. By turning it to 120 you essentially bypass the subs filter in turn for the filter in your processor. Most people chooose 80hz as the cutoff. Basically, 80hz and down goes to the sub, above goes to the speakers. Speakers should be set to small.

LFE Trim:
This is a setting on the receiver that ranges from -10db to 0db. I currently have it at 0 but not sure why...

See Tom Vs reply below

Bass:
This is the bass tone setting on the receiver. I usually keep it about middle of the road and manage the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (see first line).

Again, see Tom Vs reply

thanks
My replies are in bold. Honestly, more info about your processor and setup would be very valuable. Also, primary uses. The more info you share, the better we can help you. Depending on your answer to these questions, the above answers may not work for your setup.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1

Last edited by Rowan611; 08-15-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: To remove replies made in error
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Volume:
good setting

Quote:
Low Pass:
this restricts the frequency of the subwoofer to 60hz and below or 120hz and below - set at 120hz and use the receiver crossover

Quote:
LFE Trim:
this is signal volume to the sub , do not go above 0db, if you have room correction like audyessy, mcacc, ypao etc, get the sub trim set low with that and then turn up to personal taste ( never above 0 , the idea here is to have sub trim low on the receiver and have the dedicated amplifier on the subwoofer do most of the heavy lifting

Quote:
Bass:
This is the bass tone setting on the receiver. I usually keep it about middle of the road and manage the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (see first line)
. - personal choice, how much bass you like mixed in, like the bass on a car stereo,

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2990 Post(s)
Liked: 9922
Quote:
Originally Posted by diofree View Post

Volume:

Low Pass:

LFE Trim:

Bass:

thanks
1)Volume control on the subwoofer itself. Set as needed to achieve desired bass levels.

2) Low pass control on the subwoofer itself. This is a crossover filter that allows the "lows" to pass" and restricts the frequencies higher than the setting you use. Set it to 100hz and everything <100hz is allowed to "pass" to the subwoofer's amplification stage for reproduction. In a home theater setting with a receiver, it is almost always best to set any crossover control on the subwoofer to bypass or its highest setting. The receiver is already filtering the bass signal going to the subwoofer. No need to filter it again at the subwoofer.

3)LFE TRIM. This is often misunderstood(see prior replies). The LFE trim is a control that attenuates the LFE channel only. This control option should be removed from receivers as it really serves no purpose other than to confuse most audio enthusiasts. Back in the day there were some recordings (cough, dts, cough) that would have the LFE channel recorded 10dB "hot". In these extraordinarily rare cases setting the LFE trim to "-10" would be beneficial. Set it to 00 and never look back..

4)THIS is the control in the receiver that should be adjusted when setting the bass levels---not the "lfe trim". The range is typically -10 to +10 or -12 to +12. The general rule of thumb is to keep this setting somewhere in the -06 to 00 range and then adjust the gain control on the subwoofer as needed.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
chadsmith013, asere and SyNTaX like this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 08-15-2017 at 10:26 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
3)LFE TRIM. This is often misunderstood(see prior replies). The LFE trim is a control that attenuates the LFE channel only. This control option should be removed from receivers as it really serves no purpose other than to confuse most audio enthusiasts. Back in the day there were some recordings (cough, dts, cough) that would have the LFE channel recorded 10dB "hot". In these extraordinarily rare cases setting the LFE trim to "-10" would be beneficial. Set it to 00 and never look back..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Ah, I misread his post. I flip flopped the LFE Trim with Bass. My bad.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THANK YOU ALL so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page