Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 445Likes

post #301 of 372 Old 05-05-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread

I believe that same error code required my plate amp to go to California for service. Took a while for the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 372 Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I believe that same error code required my plate amp to go to California for service. Took a while for the repair.

How long does did it take? Days or weeks? Was your amp under warranty and if not was it expensive to repair? Been pushing really hard for upgrades and getting additional equipment did not plan on this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #303 of 372 Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 49
It was under warranty, Mark responded right away and sent me a prepaid FedEx to ship the Amp to Speaker Power in CA. SpeakerPower sent it back after the repair and it didn’t cost me anything. Unfortunately it took months.

Amp failed right before Thanksgiving ‘18 and I removed it and shipped it off that week, naively hoping I’d have it for Xmas and New Years parties. I had it by mid Feb so it was 3mos or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 372 Old 05-05-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
It was under warranty, Mark responded right away and sent me a prepaid FedEx to ship the Amp to Speaker Power in CA. SpeakerPower sent it back after the repair and it didn’t cost me anything. Unfortunately it took months.

Amp failed right before Thanksgiving ‘18 and I removed it and shipped it off that week, naively hoping I’d have it for Xmas and New Years parties. I had it by mid Feb so it was 3mos or so.

Wow 3 months is kind of crazy. I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks at most.
llang269 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #305 of 372 Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Wow 3 months is kind of crazy. I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks at most.
Thanks for responding back quickly to the e-mail I sent on Sunday. Lately they've been running 3-5 weeks. I'll e-mail you some options later after we get some shipments out for the day.
llang269 likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #306 of 372 Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Thanks for responding back quickly to the e-mail I sent on Sunday. Lately they've been running 3-5 weeks. I'll e-mail you some options later after we get some shipments out for the day.
Thanks Mark I would always freak out if the amp went out but I’m literally after years of waiting getting atmos installed Thursday so I’m more than a little anxious.

You’ve always helped and I’m hoping there are some options that I can take advantage of. Once gain Thanks 🙏🏽

post #307 of 372 Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 PM

I upgraded to the latest amp and whoa

Mark took care of me now I need to figure out when and how to add another Seaton Sub!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
giomania, llang269 and leehan76 like this.

post #308 of 372 Old 05-11-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Aren't you in the US? If so, how did you end up with the 6000 watt amp (meant for international markets/locations, i.e. 230V) instead of the 4000 watt amp (meant for the US, i.e. 120V)?
post #309 of 372 Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Aren't you in the US? If so, how did you end up with the 6000 watt amp (meant for international markets/locations, i.e. 230V) instead of the 4000 watt amp (meant for the US, i.e. 120V)?
I think the Seaton label is wrong. Down lower on the amp, it is marked "SP1-4000" and next to it the power connector "120V-5A 50/60HZ"

I am in the US and have the 120V / 240V amp (And using 240V to power it)

--Carl
post #310 of 372 Old 05-11-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I think the Seaton label is wrong. Down lower on the amp, it is marked "SP1-4000" and next to it the power connector "120V-5A 50/60HZ"

I am in the US and have the 120V / 240V amp (And using 240V to power it)
Yeah, I noticed that too.
Ediddy likes this.
post #311 of 372 Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I asked this question on the official Seaton Sound forum few days ago but haven't received a reply yet. Thought I would also ask here. I already asked this question in the Rythmik Audio official thread here on AVS so I already have their point-of-view.

Just wanted to get some feedback on how the Seaton Sound SubMersive HPi+ and Rythmik Audio G25HP compare (preferably from Mark, if possible). They seem to be very similar designs but the G25HP has their Direct Servo technology. Does having a servo make a noticeable difference/improvement? Based on what I've read, Rythmik Audio subwoofers are some of the best sounding subwoofers on the market. So, how would these two subwoofers compare in terms of output, extension, and sound quality?
post #312 of 372 Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
I asked this question on the official Seaton Sound forum few days ago but haven't received a reply yet. Thought I would also ask here. I already asked this question in the Rythmik Audio official thread here on AVS so I already have their point-of-view.

Just wanted to get some feedback on how the Seaton Sound SubMersive HPi+ and Rythmik Audio G25HP compare (preferably from Mark, if possible). They seem to be very similar designs but the G25HP has their Direct Servo technology. Does having a servo make a noticeable difference/improvement? Based on what I've read, Rythmik Audio subwoofers are some of the best sounding subwoofers on the market. So, how would these two subwoofers compare in terms of output, extension, and sound quality?
I've been behind on keeping up with forums as we are short staffed for production with some people out, so I've been in back more than at the computer. I was about to respond on our forum when I saw the post here. IMO of listening on multiple occasions and seeing measurements to back up impressions, the DirectServo does a very good job of reducing distortion... to the similar levels we can with good motor design. In the days before precise DSP, it also made for an efficient and very effective way to correct the frequency response in what ever box size the woofer is placed. DSP is now extremely flexible, and with the right efforts, it's possible to design very low distortion woofers.

Taking a look at the final specs I see the overall size is pretty much the same, swapping height for width. With the driver and amp used it's probably more similar than different in capabilities. The SubMersive does have a serious amount of dynamic headroom above 40Hz, and given the FV25HP uses the same driver and amps, it appears they will be close in this regard. Below 20-25Hz is where I could see the Rythmik having lower distortion within the limits, similar to what the much newer driver in the F18 offers in lower distortion below 25Hz.

In older versions of the DirectServo designs, the "autocorrect" action of the servo could result in some hard clipping of the amplifiers which would put the stops on the fun with big dynamics in movies. They've greatly reduced this behavior when you engage the limiting switch on the current offerings, but I would argue this behavior near and into the limits is something we do a bit differently and allows our subwoofers to play so much beyond what might otherwise be expected in real use.

Another harder-to-quantify quality is the SubMersive's ability to excels with impact, articulation, and snappy response with even rather high crossover frequencies. Subjectively the SubMersive's can deliver an intensity that I haven't heard to the same degree from Rythmik offerings, which often lean toward a very composed operation. I would most certainly expect different personalities from each.

Of course keep checking back as who knows what will be out when you get around to upgrading from your original 1000W SubMersive. FWIW, we have recently finalized a new single amplifier per unit option for the SubMersive which has a universal power supply that gives the same input controls and options of the latest + amplifiers without the need for a separate version for our international customers, and less than 1/2 the cost of what we had to charge for the HPi+/F2i+ amplifiers. We'll be adding these as the HPi / F2i versions to the website as we get closer to having units in stock.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #313 of 372 Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks!
post #314 of 372 Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
@Kain , I have heard both.

The Submersive is a better HT sub (more impact, TR). The Rythmik is better for music. All IMO, but I'm sure others would agree.

For a home cinema I would go with Seaton (look at the F18+ as well).

For Rythmik their sealed offerings are incredible for the price point. But for home cinema you need to look at their ported subs.
post #315 of 372 Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Kain , I have heard both.

The Submersive is a better HT sub (more impact, TR). The Rythmik is better for music. All IMO, but I'm sure others would agree.

For a home cinema I would go with Seaton (look at the F18+ as well).

For Rythmik their sealed offerings are incredible for the price point. But for home cinema you need to look at their ported subs.
Thanks.

You stated the Rythmik is better for music. Is this because it has better sound quality or because of something else?
post #316 of 372 Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3375
Quote:
Thanks.

You stated the Rythmik is better for music. Is this because it has better sound quality or because of something else?
Rythmik has a slightly different sound than most other high quality subwoofers. A little more subtle. Supposedly more articulate. It's a matter of taste. I had 4 SVS12-NSD for about a year, sounded great, but I wanted more. I got two Rythmik F18s, definitely not as in your face, and it took about 10 hours to get used to them, and I love them for music. Don't watch enough movies to comment on that. I've also never heard any other expensive ID offering, but the SB12 were rated quite highly by Audioholics a few years back. I think most people would be happy with most of the offerings by the ID companies, but it depends on what you want to a certain extent. I think a music first person should definitely look hard at Rythmik. It's more complicated, IMO, if you are movies first. Lots of excellent choices, plus, tbh, I think most of them would be great for music, as well, just a slightly different sound signature.

Spoiler!
post #317 of 372 Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread

Quote:

I am a big fan of Seaton’s Submersive HP+. I have not heard a subwoofer that I like better for music and I have worked on over 3000 home theaters. The subwoofer is also great for movies, but does not rattle the house like some 18” units. It fits my preferences perfectly. I could not be happier with the sound and build quality of these subs.

The fact that you can add a slave unit for a much lower cost than the master is another plus in this products favor.

This comes with the caveat that there is much more to bass performance in a room other than the subwoofer alone. Things like preamp performance, room acoustics, placement and audio calibration can wreck a perfectly performing subwoofer.

Last edited by umr; 05-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #318 of 372 Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the replies.
post #319 of 372 Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I’m at the very very beginning of thinking about adding another Seaton. I currently have two subMersives master/slave. My marantz 8805 which has two sub outs. I currently have both seatons up front near my projector screen. If I wanted to add one more sub but in the rear to to smooth out the basement. Would it be better to stick with another subMersive or an F18. What makes the most sense? If you need more detail about my set please don’t hesitate to ask
llang269 likes this.

post #320 of 372 Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
I’m at the very very beginning of thinking about adding another Seaton. I currently have two subMersives master/slave. My marantz 8805 which has two sub outs. I currently have both seatons up front near my projector screen. If I wanted to add one more sub but in the rear to to smooth out the basement. Would it be better to stick with another subMersive or an F18. What makes the most sense? If you need more detail about my set please don’t hesitate to ask
I have a mixture of F2's and F18's (4 F2's up front and 4 F18's in back) in a 24x15x9 room. It's overkill, but wth. I moved from 4 F2's with 2 HP's in the rear...which sounded great and was just as impactful.

Since you have 2 subwoofer outputs on your Marantz (like me), Audyssey should be able to correct things...although, having matching subs all the way around would be ideal.
giomania and llang269 like this.
post #321 of 372 Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 111
My Integra has two sub outputs, but Audyssey calibrates as one. I upgraded the amp(s) in my two SubMs to a 6KW Master / Slave setup & am now using only one Integra output.
(Both subs are equal-distant up front)
Ediddy likes this.

--Carl
post #322 of 372 Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
I have a mixture of F2's and F18's (4 F2's up front and 4 F18's in back) in a 24x15x9 room. It's overkill, but wth. I moved from 4 F2's with 2 HP's in the rear...which sounded great and was just as impactful.

Since you have 2 subwoofer outputs on your Marantz (like me), Audyssey should be able to correct things...although, having matching subs all the way around would be ideal.
Thanks for taking the time. Do you have pics for your setup? What processor are you using?

post #323 of 372 Old 05-31-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time. Do you have pics for your setup? What processor are you using?
I have the Marantz 7703...I have 2 F2's at bottom of AT screen on sides and 2 behind the screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1,008.6 KB
ID:	2574052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	918.7 KB
ID:	2574054  
jamiebosco, femi and llang269 like this.

Last edited by DRC3; 05-31-2019 at 03:09 AM.
post #324 of 372 Old 05-31-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I have the Marantz 7703...I have 2 F2's at bottom of AT screen on sides and 2 behind the screens.

Love the setup! You have me thinking that it would definitely work. Now I have to come up with a plan! What projector do you have?

post #325 of 372 Old 05-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Love the setup! You have me thinking that it would definitely work. Now I have to come up with a plan! What projector do you have?

I have a Panasonic PT8000...been waiting for just the right time to upgrade to 4K, but the picture quality and setup I have is really great. Been super impressed with the image quality, color, and brightness.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #326 of 372 Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I have a Panasonic PT8000...been waiting for just the right time to upgrade to 4K, but the picture quality and setup I have is really great. Been super impressed with the image quality, color, and brightness.

Nice I’m literally going 4K right now. Hanging new JVC 4K projector tonight. I have been waiting for a long time as well.

post #327 of 372 Old 06-02-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
What are you trying to accomplice? –
What are you not happy with –
Most important upgrade is measuring gear if you don’t have any.
Everything you hear is dependent on frequency response / headroom and room interaction-
Room correction is so good these days that best location based on my gazillion hours of experiments
is where you get highest output without nulls and then correct the response for your listening bubble.
Biggest reason for sub upgrades is reference movie playback –
You require 115-120 db playback throughout LFE range if that is your goal –
Biggest myths out there are more subs sound better , subs are faster or slower or are better for music/movies - big NO.
The better come into effect when you exceed output captivity of your current setup-
Oh there is also the cool effect ( I have 4 submersives 😀😀)
jamiebosco likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #328 of 372 Old 06-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Are those Jtr speakers? I’m really thinking about them in my next system!

post #329 of 372 Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Nice I’m literally going 4K right now. Hanging new JVC 4K projector tonight. I have been waiting for a long time as well.

which one did you get- My N7 is friggin amazing
llang269 likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #330 of 372 Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
which one did you get- My N7 is friggin amazing

I got the NX5 and so far I love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GPBURNS likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page