Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1424Likes

post #811 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
Jamie, have you gotten all your "Stuff"?
Yeah mate SubMersive and amp turned up 2 days ago! The packaging box was in perfect condition this time, not even a small ding, which is great. Unfortunately I haven't got to open it and set it up,am waiting on a 10M XLR cable to be delivered, and have been working extra shifts at work due to the Coronavirus stuff

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic 65" P65ST60 AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Seaton SubMersives x 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Yeah mate SubMersive and amp turned up 2 days ago! The packaging box was in perfect condition this time, not even a small ding, which is great. Unfortunately I haven't got to open it and set it up,am waiting on a 10M XLR cable to be delivered, and have been working extra shifts at work due to the Coronavirus stuff
That is great news! Very fortunate that shipment got out before the virus shuts everything down here. Congrats!
jamiebosco likes this.
post #813 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
That is great news! Very fortunate that shipment got out before the virus shuts everything down here. Congrats!
Cheers mate, it actually arrived 2 days early, was supposed to get here Thursday or Friday , but arrived on Tuesday, so that was a nice surprise!

10m XLR to RCA cable is getting made up for me currently, so should be able start setting this up soon hopefully
spyboy, chucky7, Billy p and 2 others like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic 65" P65ST60 AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Seaton SubMersives x 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post
You could experiment with phase by using a MiniDSP or altering the distance and level settings in your receiver or preampifier if it allows that degree of flexibility for each output.
I have only the one subwoofer output to worry about for now (2 Submersives, but in a master/slave configuration).

The hole in my in-room response is roughly between 27-45 Hz, not around the crossover (set at 80 Hz) region. As I understand it, this is a function of the subwoofers interacting with my room, not phase issues between the subwoofers and the mains.

So, I'm not sure I understand how manipulating phase (independent of the method used to do so) will help. However, additional subs can help mitigate it. Which is what I'm doing.

Last edited by liverpool_for_life; 03-20-2020 at 07:12 PM.
post #815 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool_for_life View Post
I have only the one subwoofer output to worry about for now (2 Submersives, but in a master/slave configuration).

The hole in my in-room response is roughly between 27-45 Hz, not around the crossover (set at 80 Hz) region. As I understand it, this is a function of the subwoofers interacting with my room, not phase issues between the subwoofers and the mains.

So, I'm not sure I understand how manipulating phase (independent of the method used to do so) will help. However, additional subs can help mitigate it. Which is what I'm doing.

With a single slave setup you can’t play phase games. Setting different delays on multiple subs acts like moving the sub around the room. It requires a separate amp for each sub to play that trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired AV Calibrator
post #816 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool_for_life View Post

In the case of 2 subs being fed the same signal and positioned at the 1/4 and 3/4 points on the front wall (similar setup to mine) you might find that moving your seating 30cms forward or back from its current position may result in a nice flat response. That's what happened in my room, I had to move my couch 1.5ft (0.46 m) further back than I'd prefer, but it resulted in a MUCH better pre-Audyssey frequency response.
Though with the 2 rear subs incoming and Mark's assistance setting them up, you should be good to go now
chucky7 likes this.

post #817 of 842 Old 03-20-2020, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Liked: 4375
Quote:
Congrats mate! don't know how I missed this fantastic news...be sure to wipe down the box with a disinfectant now...
jamiebosco likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #818 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
With a single slave setup you can’t play phase games.
Right. And it seems like the fact that I currently have a single slave setup hadn't gotten across when you made your suggestions, which seemed to be a non-starter for my situation.

To be clear, I was not second-guessing Mark. I implicitly trust his advice both from a technical perspective as well as to be one that's not self-serving (e.g. he advised against the 12C's in my room and I ended up getting the 8C's, as well as suggesting less costly amplifier options apart from the one he sells for the surround/Atmos channels to power the Embers).

Quote:
Setting different delays on multiple subs acts like moving the sub around the room.
I understand that and would've tried that if it were a possibility for me. I have a couple of terrible length modes that would've benefited from such an approach.

For my room and my setup, an additional pair of smaller subs represented the best choice to tackle the issues I had, with the added potential for a more uniform bass response across a larger portion of the room than was prior. As for who to purchase from, I made the choice to stay with Mark.

Last edited by liverpool_for_life; 03-21-2020 at 01:43 AM.
post #819 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Congrats mate! don't know how I missed this fantastic news...be sure to wipe down the box with a disinfectant now...
hahahahahaha thanks mate...and I actually DID spray the whole box down with Glen 20 before bringing it inside!

imureh likes this.

post #820 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked: 5254
Quote:
Cheers mate, it actually arrived 2 days early, was supposed to get here Thursday or Friday , but arrived on Tuesday, so that was a nice surprise!

10m XLR to RCA cable is getting made up for me currently, so should be able start setting this up soon hopefully
Congratulations, Jamie!

That is the greatest news I have heard in months.

Enjoy your subs!
jamiebosco likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #821 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Congratulations, Jamie!

That is the greatest news I have heard in months.

Enjoy your subs!
Will do brother! I am actually looking forward to the challenge of integrating the 3rd SubMersive in the room! I'm going to try the rear right and left first and see how it goes. Really wishing I didn't cancel my miniDSP 2x4HD order last year right about now...
chucky7 likes this.

post #822 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 12447
Quote:
I'm happy for you Jamie, truly happy for you. You've suffered far more than anyone I've ever seen trying to get their subs working properly. Now you can hopefully sit back and enjoy the bass you've been missing out on.
jamiebosco likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #823 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 2987
Quote:
yeah mate submersive and amp turned up 2 days ago! The packaging box was in perfect condition this time, not even a small ding, which is great. Unfortunately i haven't got to open it and set it up,am waiting on a 10m xlr cable to be delivered, and have been working extra shifts at work due to the coronavirus stuff
+1,000,000^^
jamiebosco likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #824 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys!! I'm sure it'll all be worth the wait!! Doing heaps of OT at the moment so will be looking at getting another HPi amp from Mark after everything calms down

First 3 movies on deck when the new SubM gets added into the mix will be Tron Legacy, Mad Max Fury Road and Pacific Rim... just to break the new woofers in
chucky7 likes this.

post #825 of 842 Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 12447
Quote:
Thanks guys!! I'm sure it'll all be worth the wait!! Doing heaps of OT at the moment so will be looking at getting another HPi amp from Mark after everything calms down

First 3 movies on deck when the new SubM gets added into the mix will be Tron Legacy, Mad Max Fury Road and Pacific Rim... just to break the new woofers in
Don't forget Blade Runner 2049 that another one that's constant bass.
jamiebosco likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #826 of 842 Old 03-22-2020, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

You are one patient and optimistic dude. Happy for you.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #827 of 842 Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I agree these have a much higher noise floor than older versions. It is highly unlikely you can reduce the noise floor if you have already tested what I have suggested. I tried to filter the power as well, but it had no impact. Being that my noise floor is centered at the AC frequency and not the result of a ground loop it is apparently a feature of this product. I have heard others HP+ subs with the same performance characteristic.

It is pretty common that when the amplifier power output increases the noise floor rises as well. I have seen this with many other applications.
After several days my effort to decrease the hum has paid off.. I even got an electrician to build a dedicated ground circuit for my AV equipment but it made no difference.
Then I followed some online instructions to eliminate the hum by removing all connections to the AV chain and check them one by one, in my case I found out the hum was caused by 3 different signal connections, and I also had to remove the ground connection from them to bring the noise level down.

Now the hum is gone and the noise floor (although not completely quiet like the older version of submersive) is so much tolerable in a very quiet room.
post #828 of 842 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwu6000 View Post
After several days my effort to decrease the hum has paid off.. I even got an electrician to build a dedicated ground circuit for my AV equipment but it made no difference.
Then I followed some online instructions to eliminate the hum by removing all connections to the AV chain and check them one by one, in my case I found out the hum was caused by 3 different signal connections, and I also had to remove the ground connection from them to bring the noise level down.

Now the hum is gone and the noise floor (although not completely quiet like the older version of submersive) is so much tolerable in a very quiet room.

Glad to hear that worked.

That is why I suggested you disconnect the input. That should shown you if a ground loop or source noise was making things worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hifi59 and kenwu6000 like this.

Retired AV Calibrator
post #829 of 842 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Yes...glad you resolved your hum issue by isolating the culprits.

As a general rule, it's usually an easy fix....in some cases a little more complicated. In my case the hum suddenly appeared and had me perplexed...panic mode...the RF signal causing grief was triggered by the missus dusting and the power cord from another source coming to close to the sub cable not immediately visible.
kenwu6000 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #830 of 842 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

It's tricky to eliminate the hum when there are multiple sources.
I have to identify and disconnect them all.. the humming sound persists even one of them is still in connection, and it can be quite complicated to sort them out.
post #831 of 842 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have to identify and disconnect them all.. the humming sound persists even one of them is still in connection, and it can be quite complicated to sort them out.
Do you any other sources connected like a firestick or media source in the chain....even though HDMI.

Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #832 of 842 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Do you any other sources connected like a firestick or media source in the chain....even though HDMI.
I do have a Roku ultra but it doesn't cause any issues. The S-video output on the prepro to the projector did cause severe hum.
Billy p likes this.
post #833 of 842 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I do have a Roku ultra but it doesn't cause any issues. The S-video output on the prepro to the projector did cause severe hum.
Thought I'd ask....because my firestick....even with everything turned off....caused a hum thru an alternative HDMI port. It wasn't even connected to the home theater and why things of this nature at times are difficult to troubleshoot.

I wish you well....finding a solution.

post #834 of 842 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Thought I'd ask....because my firestick....even with everything turned off....caused a hum thru an alternative HDMI port. It wasn't even connected to the home theater and why things of this nature at times are difficult to troubleshoot.

I wish you well....finding a solution.
Thanks and good luck to you too.

I must have spent at least 10 hours on this matter and 100+ times power on/off to locate the problem.
Since you have located the equipment/connection to the problem, I would imagine that you're close to fix it.
Sometimes replacing a faulty cable or a cheater plug may just be the cure.
post #835 of 842 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
You're using a "pre/pro" and a projector, and you're running S-Video?

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System
(Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #836 of 842 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
That is true. I always start by disconnecting the input on the subwoofer. If that solves it then I work my way back through the system and disconnect everything and add an item at a time.
darthray and kenwu6000 like this.

Retired AV Calibrator
post #837 of 842 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Is it so shocking that S-Video is still being used? I have a Super Beta tape machine & a Laser Disk machine that both uses S-Video as their video outputs.

--Carl
post #838 of 842 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Now I use it mainly for velodyne SMS-1 OSD
It occurred to me that I should've checked the component cables for my old DVD players..
post #839 of 842 Old Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked: 4146
Quote:
Now I use it mainly for velodyne SMS-1 OSD
It occurred to me that I should've checked the component cables for my old DVD players..
This is old school, while been a great piece of gear in it's days
And still have mine, only as Volume control for my TT. Since I rely on my Audyssey, now a day.

Darth
kenwu6000 likes this.
post #840 of 842 Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
This is old school, while been a great piece of gear in it's days
And still have mine, only as Volume control for my TT. Since I rely on my Audyssey, now a day.

Darth
Recently I use it to boost ULF to simulate the BEQ effect by setting and assigning a bunch of 15Hz(lowest possible in SMS-1 ver. 2.1.3) freq gains and Q's into the SMS-1 presets.
It may not be as delicate as the Minidsp but it kinda work I can simply use the remote to switch between presets to taste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All presets 2020 0401.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	2704322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page