Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 632Likes

post #121 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Mike, the Submersive HP was way ahead of its time and is still arguably the best sub that money can buy. Glad to hear it's still rocking the house!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
truth. i had an original, upgraded the amp to the hp, and acquired a 2nd hp along the way. if i had start from scratch, i’d do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Yes it is Matt. I don't know how low it goes in my room but my guess would be at least 10hz -3db. Maybe lower.
that would not be surprising.
Mark Seaton likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 313
If I had the space for dual Seatons I might think about it. But the single is probably running so low on the amp itself and if I wanted, I could go really loud with one, there really
is no need for two. Plus I get the shake which is fun from the Crowson and if one is "moving" my floor, just think what two would do. No, I am quite happy with my original HP.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #123 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Mike, My HT is in my bedroom upstairs where the ceilings are slanted to make room for the full pitch roof. The calculated space is 2400cf (16'2"X18'6" aprox)

My 1st Seaton purchase was the two Subm(s) that belonged to the person that started the "Seaton Sound SubMersive1" thread - WarrenBuffett. I have now upgraded the amp(s) to a single 240V single 6KW master /slave config. (The subs are at equal position from the MLP (My bed)
My 2nd Seaton purchase was three Cat(s) (The left & right Cat(s) are positioned on the two Subm(s))
The sound system is completed with four Polk 10b(s) for surround powered by two Sumo Polaris amps (The weak link in my system)

I was originally going to have a HT, but now I suspect that this is as far is it will go. (Getting too old for change)

The 13KW of sound power in my 2400cf room is, perhaps a little over the top?

--Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

nope.

my subm’s are behind my mains (salk ht2-tl’s).

i have heard cats a few times. i like cats. 😄

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #125 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
13KW is silly for that space............
Says the guy with 16KW and 1300 cubic feet 🤪
Over kills does not exist on these boards!
MIkeDuke, ccotenj, bulls and 1 others like this.
post #126 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post
13KW is silly for that space............
Says the guy with 16KW and 1300 cubic feet 🤪
Over kills does not exist on these boards!
It’s in my Sig...

2kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
post #127 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5281 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
I was originally going to have a HT, but now I suspect that this is as far is it will go. (Getting too old for change)
Carl. How about a Murphy Bed Home Theater?
ccotenj likes this.
post #128 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marc, I have a bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Med Cat Pict.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	2443080  

--Carl
post #129 of 465 Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5281 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Marc, I have a bed.
You can have a bed and a couch.

DIY Murphy Kits
https://www.createabed.com
ccotenj likes this.
post #130 of 465 Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not possible, the wall behind my bed is slanted like the wall in front.

--Carl
post #131 of 465 Old 08-20-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Mike, My HT is in my bedroom upstairs where the ceilings are slanted to make room for the full pitch roof. The calculated space is 2400cf (16'2"X18'6" aprox)

My 1st Seaton purchase was the two Subm(s) that belonged to the person that started the "Seaton Sound SubMersive1" thread - WarrenBuffett. I have now upgraded the amp(s) to a single 240V single 6KW master /slave config. (The subs are at equal position from the MLP (My bed)
My 2nd Seaton purchase was three Cat(s) (The left & right Cat(s) are positioned on the two Subm(s))
The sound system is completed with four Polk 10b(s) for surround powered by two Sumo Polaris amps (The weak link in my system)

pppffftttt Over the top. Not likely. Sounds just about right to me.
ccotenj and djreef like this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #132 of 465 Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
And then there were 10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56ADDB32-04FA-4A37-B0F3-8B62C409B26E.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	2457970   Click image for larger version

Name:	E59E6975-2340-49D3-ABB9-891ACD23534D.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2457974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBF61BDC-DB46-411C-AA1B-9A9C11B9A2A2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	2457976  
ccotenj, bulls, femi and 5 others like this.
post #133 of 465 Old 09-28-2018, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
And then there were 10

We need more than 3 pictures man! TEN F18’S...TEN!!!!! I hope your house has the structural integrity of a bomb shelter.

BTW—what’s the name of your build thread? (I use Tapatalk so I can’t see signatures or the links therein). I clearly NEED to subscribe to this awesomeness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lasalle and bulls like this.
post #134 of 465 Old 09-28-2018, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW—what’s the name of your build thread?

Here you go https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...nvertible.html
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #135 of 465 Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
@Lasalle , What are you using for main speakers?
post #136 of 465 Old 09-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
@Lasalle , What are you using for main speakers?

Alcons CRMS mkII
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #137 of 465 Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Those look sweet. I am little surprised at how sensitive they are with a ribbon tweeter. I may have to give those a closer look.

https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/crms/
post #138 of 465 Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I am hosting a gtg on 10/27 in Wisconsin for anyone who is interested. The system features Seaton speakers and subs, along with 8 DIY othorns

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-ar...dent-evil.html

For sale: 4 Mackie c300z speakers, Sony HW40es projector, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #139 of 465 Old 10-06-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Does a room that is heavily acoustically damped result in less "exciting" bass? My current room is fully concrete all around with no acoustical treatments. Bass is quite impressive with my SubMersive. Few weeks ago, we had to move everything out of the master bedroom in order to paint the walls and thus moved everything into the home theater room. You could tell even just by walking into the room that it sounded "deader." I watched a movie with all that stuff in the room and the bass seemed less impressive than before. Thought I'd ask because of that.
post #140 of 465 Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5381 Post(s)
Liked: 10065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Does a room that is heavily acoustically damped result in less "exciting" bass? My current room is fully concrete all around with no acoustical treatments. Bass is quite impressive with my SubMersive. Few weeks ago, we had to move everything out of the master bedroom in order to paint the walls and thus moved everything into the home theater room. You could tell even just by walking into the room that it sounded "deader." I watched a movie with all that stuff in the room and the bass seemed less impressive than before. Thought I'd ask because of that.

Hi,

I guess it depends on how we define "exciting". An all-concrete room, with no acoustical treatments, or softening influences, could sound a little too exciting for me. I would especially notice the differences for higher frequencies, but I think it could also be pretty noticeable for mid-bass frequencies. You might not have gotten quite as much chest punch, for instance, while the excess furniture was in the room.

I assume that you at least have some carpet or area rugs on the floor to try to absorb some of the reflections from all of the hard surfaces. If not, you might want to experiment with adding just a little bit of softening influences, in a strategic way. You might end-up needing to boost the volume on your subwoofer a little more. But, not having to hear all of the distortion that you are probably experiencing now, might be a real relief once you got used to things. And, you could always add just the amount of softening treatments that align with your personal preferences.

Here is a great illustration of the reason that most of us don't want to have all hard surfaces in our listening rooms:

Regards,
Mike
shivaji likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #141 of 465 Old 10-06-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Acoustically damped from "stuff" in the room, or acoustically damped in the construction of the room? The "stuff" will have some impact, but considerably less on the bass than the rest of the frequency bandwidth. Consider the wavelengths involved. An 80 Hz frequency has a wavelength of 14 feet. A 40 Hz frequency has a wavelength of 28 feet, and 20 Hz has a wavelength of 56 feet. It would take some very large "stuff" to impact those wavelengths. A large sofa or multiple large seats could impact it some, but just a bunch of smaller "stuff" wouldn't have a great impact. It can certainly impact the frequencies ABOVE the bass, but not the deep bass in the subwoofer range.

If you're asking about room construction and dampening, again consider the wavelengths. It's impossible to stop long wavelengths even with very dense, high mass construction techniques. I was in theater recently that was VERY well constructed, (@BrolicBeast), and the bass was MASSIVE in the room... and MASSIVE upstairs in the living room. One of the other attendees took a video if a water glass walking across a coffee table upstairs! The baby slept right through it, but it was somewhat difficult to carry on a conversation over the very loud bass being transmitted upstairs. It would take a deep, underground concrete bunker to dampen very loud deep bass.

Bottom line, neither "stuff" nor wall/ceiling construction dampening will be able to impact the deepest bass.

Craig
ccotenj and basshead81 like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #142 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
It's impossible to stop long wavelengths even with very dense, high mass construction techniques. I was in theater recently that was VERY well constructed, (@BrolicBeast), and the bass was MASSIVE in the room... and MASSIVE upstairs in the living room. One of the other attendees took a video if a water glass walking across a coffee table upstairs! The baby slept right through it, but it was somewhat difficult to carry on a conversation over the very loud bass being transmitted upstairs. It would take a deep, underground concrete bunker to dampen very loud deep bass.

Bottom line, neither "stuff" nor wall/ceiling construction dampening will be able to impact the deepest bass.

Craig

Yeah man, and that’s with extreme soundproofing measures (three layers of 5/8” drywall with green-glue between each layer, clips and channel, IB-3 clips isolating the stud wall top plates from the joists, and countless other measures. The soundproofing is great with normal listening volumes and in “The Movie Experience” (normal) mode and “The Music Experience” (music) mode, but at spirited volumes in the ‘The Ultimate Experience (extreme)” mode we were listening to with the LF hot at specific frequency ranges, the low frequencies coming from the eight F18’s could not be contained, despite the extreme soundproofing measures.

BTW—was it Josh or Dennis who took that video? I’m very interested in looking at that!

post #143 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah man, and that’s with extreme soundproofing measures (three layers of 5/8” drywall with green-glue between each layer, clips and channel, IB-3 clips isolating the stud wall top plates from the joists, and countless other measures. The soundproofing is great with normal listening volumes and in “The Movie Experience” (normal) mode and “The Music Experience” (music) mode, but at spirited volumes in the ‘The Ultimate Experience (extreme)” mode we were listening to with the LF hot at specific frequency ranges, the low frequencies coming from the eight F18’s could not be contained, despite the extreme soundproofing measures.

BTW—was it Josh or Dennis who took that video? I’m very interested in looking at that!

I would have liked to spend more time listening to your system in the less extreme listening modes. The one we listened to, (Ultimate/extreme), was very cool for those extreme movies sequences, but it's not one I would watch most movies in, and I think the music I brought along didn't benefit from it either. I wish I had asked you to switch to a less extreme mode when I was auditioning that stuff. I would bet the *overall* sound quality would be even better in a more normal mode.

Josh took that video.

Any further progress on setting something up with Adam Pelz?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #144 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would have liked to spend more time listening to your system in the less extreme listening modes. The one we listened to, (Ultimate/extreme), was very cool for those extreme movies sequences, but it's not one I would watch most movies in, and I think the music I brought along didn't benefit from it either. I wish I had asked you to switch to a less extreme mode when I was auditioning that stuff. I would bet the *overall* sound quality would be even better in a more normal mode.

Josh took that video.

Any further progress on setting something up with Adam Pelz?

Craig

The next G2G will likely be much smaller, and I plan to have a hard-wired laptop on the seating’s insertable aluminum tray at the MLP to allow each guest to create their own preferred curve in real-time while listening to the material they’ve brought. Pro calibration will come later on—there are a couple things I need to finalize—the first being possibly replacing the rear four F18’s with the 12” deep F18’s (taller and wider so cabinet volume is retained) so I can hide them behind the rear wall fabric. Also, part of my spec gave me an option that I haven’t sat down to select yet. It allows me to put drilled ply over my first reflection point treatments to play around with a few soundstage effects. Once I finalize these, then it’s time for pro calibration.

BTW, your Goucho material caused me to create a new listening mode last week. When you were going through your material, I think we found that the “Native” mode had the best affect....except that mode didn’t benefit from the midbass fine-tuning of the other modes because I hadn’t touched it in about 4 months. I’ve taken that Native mode, and tweaked the midbass to create a very clean, enjoyable listening mode for all types of music. Basically, all kick and no boom. Of course, once pro calibration is done, these modes won’t mean anything since they’ll be based on an older baseline, but I’ll most certainly be recreating them based off the pro calibration baseline!

I’m going to reach out to Josh to get that video!

post #145 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The next G2G will likely be much smaller, and I plan to have a hard-wired laptop on the seating’s insertable aluminum tray at the MLP to allow each guest to create their own preferred curve in real-time while listening to the material they’ve brought. Pro calibration will come later on—there are a couple things I need to finalize—the first being possibly replacing the rear four F18’s with the 12” deep F18’s (taller and wider so cabinet volume is retained) so I can hide them behind the rear wall fabric. Also, part of my spec gave me an option that I haven’t sat down to select yet. It allows me to put drilled ply over my first reflection point treatments to play around with a few soundstage effects. Once I finalize these, then it’s time for pro calibration.

BTW, your Goucho material caused me to create a new listening mode last week. When you were going through your material, I think we found that the “Native” mode had the best affect....except that mode didn’t benefit from the midbass fine-tuning of the other modes because I hadn’t touched it in about 4 months. I’ve taken that Native mode, and tweaked the midbass to create a very clean, enjoyable listening mode for all types of music. Basically, all kick and no boom. Of course, once pro calibration is done, these modes won’t mean anything since they’ll be based on an older baseline, but I’ll most certainly be recreating them based off the pro calibration baseline!

I’m going to reach out to Josh to get that video!

Matt, you have a great ear, and your listening mode tweaks display that. However, I believe you told me that they weren't based on REW measurements, at least not the most recent iterations of the listening modes. If I am invited to another GTG, (fingers crossed!), and I am provided with the ability to create my own listening mode, I will need some measurements to guide me. My ears are not as good as yours, especially when it comes to converting what I'm hearing to specific frequency bands. Would you be OK id I brought my measurement gear along? I'm nowhere close to Adam Pelz in terms of EQ capability, but I will at least be able to visualize what I'm hearing. My stuff is fairly easy to set up and use.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #146 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Seaton Sound Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Matt, you have a great ear, and your listening mode tweaks display that. However, I believe you told me that they weren't based on REW measurements, at least not the most recent iterations of the listening modes. If I am invited to another GTG, (fingers crossed!), and I am provided with the ability to create my own listening mode, I will need some measurements to guide me. My ears are not as good as yours, especially when it comes to converting what I'm hearing to specific frequency bands. Would you be OK id I brought my measurement gear along? I'm nowhere close to Adam Pelz in terms of EQ capability, but I will at least be able to visualize what I'm hearing. My stuff is fairly easy to set up and use.

Craig

I probably should have explained my process better. Looking back, I guess I was a little vague—so I used REW to dial in the room to conform to the JBL curve (I use the UMIK-1 microphone for REW measurements). I also have XTZ-Room Analyzer II Pro, but I find REW to be more powerful. So once I dialed in the JBL curve using REW, I began making tweaks for different modes. So the modes themselves weren’t tweaked based on REW measurements, but the baseline was. There’s a mode available on the iPad called “Technical: Calibration”. This is the standard JBL curve. I don’t like it much though—the midrange is not my cup of tea. You’re absolutely welcome to bring your equipment....we could post the bass results in this thread. I’m going to edit this post with my REW raw bass measurements once. I track them down.
@craig john i did some digging—I think these were the results that all modes are based on. If this isn’t it, it’s at least the penultimate baseline before I started tweaking modes.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 10-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.
post #147 of 465 Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If you have XTZ Pro, I can use that, as that's what I have as well. I find it much easier to use than REW.

I knew that you based your initial EQ curves on REW and the JBL curve. I thought you had the tweaked those curves by ear, without REW afterwards, and it seems that's what you did. And that's fine. It's just that I don't have a sharp enough ear to do it that way, and I need to rely on the measurements to tell me what I'm hearing.

Looking forward to some further listening. I have some other material I would like to listen to as well.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #148 of 465 Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi

I have ordered 2 f18i subs in july by Mark Seaton. I still haven’t received my order. The last time i have heard of him was 19 September. He wrote that the subs will be shipped on 24/25 September. Since then I have heard nothing of him. He doesn’t respond to the mails if have sent. Does anybody knows what is going on with Seaton Sound ?

Thank you
Martijn
post #149 of 465 Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartijnHigh View Post
Hi

I have ordered 2 f18i subs in july by Mark Seaton. I still haven’t received my order. The last time i have heard of him was 19 September. He wrote that the subs will be shipped on 24/25 September. Since then I have heard nothing of him. He doesn’t respond to the mails if have sent. Does anybody knows what is going on with Seaton Sound ?

Thank you
Martijn
I have seen him posting here on AVS, so I assume everything is fine. Have you tried calling him?
(773) 290-8436
post #150 of 465 Old 10-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
He just send me a mail that the subs will be shipped today. I am really happy about that and really looking forward to install them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page