Official Monoprice THX Subwoofers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 488Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1286 Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone have an informed opinions based upon the publicly available data of where to place the 10" Monoprice Monolith sub in comparison to other popular subs in the $400 to $600 range for home theatre use?

I bought it yesterday with the $50 discount and I am hoping it is enough of an upgrade in terms of playing movies that I don't mind bypassing the smaller/lighter footprint of the Speedwoofer 10s or SVS SB-12 NSD. I am also gambling that it is a little bit better than the SVS PB-12 NSD which I could have gotten for a little bit cheaper after you figure in taxes.

If I could have gotten the HSU Research 15 ULS MK2 around $75 cheaper, I would have splurged for that sealed sub but ultimately the that sub after shipping/taxes was going to cost me over $400 more. Realistically, I won't be playing it at really high volume since I live in a building with neighbors above/below/next to me!

But the combination of 5 year warranty, up-to-date technology/amp, THX "select" certification, monoprice having a very good reputation for budget subs and some good first impressions on the 12/15 inch subs convinced me to roll the dice.
dan2017 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1286 Old 01-27-2018, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2017 View Post
Anyone have an informed opinions based upon the publicly available data of where to place the 10" Monoprice Monolith sub in comparison to other popular subs in the $400 to $600 range for home theatre use?

I bought it yesterday with the $50 discount and I am hoping it is enough of an upgrade in terms of playing movies that I don't mind bypassing the smaller/lighter footprint of the Speedwoofer 10s or SVS SB-12 NSD. I am also gambling that it is a little bit better than the SVS PB-12 NSD which I could have gotten for a little bit cheaper after you figure in taxes.

If I could have gotten the HSU Research 15 ULS MK2 around $75 cheaper, I would have splurged for that sealed sub but ultimately the that sub after shipping/taxes was going to cost me over $400 more. Realistically, I won't be playing it at really high volume since I live in a building with neighbors above/below/next to me!

But the combination of 5 year warranty, up-to-date technology/amp, THX "select" certification, monoprice having a very good reputation for budget subs and some good first impressions on the 12/15 inch subs convinced me to roll the dice.
Going by the measurements posted by Monoprice, the Monolith 10" looks very impressive. Not only does it have more peak output than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and SVS SB12-NSD, but it also has more output capability across the board (16Hz-100Hz) than the 12" ported SVS PB12-NSD. Some frequencies as much as 3dB more peak output, which would sound 50% louder. Now you can't take this as gospel, since you can't really be comparing measurements done independently from each other with absolute certainty. But if the Monoprice numbers are accurate, including the low THD results, then the Monolith 10" is certainly a strong contender for best sub under $500.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #33 of 1286 Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post
Have anyone reviewed these yet? Not having much luck finding reviews online.
Here's a recent review on the Monolith 12". https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/mo...r-review.2190/
tsteph12 likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2017 View Post
Anyone have an informed opinions based upon the publicly available data of where to place the 10" Monoprice Monolith sub in comparison to other popular subs in the $400 to $600 range for home theatre use?
all of the new mono-p subs look to be very good performers. At 450(?) your pricing you would have a tough time doing much better. The pb10 is really the king of output <$500. The hsu vtf-2($560? would be a slight step up though---at least in terms of overall performance(imo).

Here's the Pb10 cea-2010 (max clean output) and the mono-10. All data referenced to 2m/rms. Also note the "n/a" for the pb1000 at 16hz doesn't imply it couldn't pass at that frequency. At the time of it's test session the reviewer (brent butterworth) only tested down to 20hz.

..........PB1000-------mono-10

16hz...n/a----------90.9
20hz...101.6-------101.8
25hz...104---------105.5
31hz...105.9-------106.3

40hz...110.8-------106.7
50hz...113.2-------107.1
63hz...113.5-------107.6

So under 35hz(ish)...really close. about 0.7dB edge for the mono-10(less than one decibel)

But in the mid/upper bass(35-100hz) the pb1000 has a significant advantage. Not quite double but not far off...107.5 versus 112.9...5.4dB(double = 6)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
biga6761 likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #35 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
That PB-1000 review Brent Butterworth did for S&V is widely regarded as "off", putting it kindly. Not sure what Brent was smoking that day or if his measuring equipment was out of whack, but something went awry. Brent also reviewed the PB-2000 and through a good chunk of the frequency response his PB-1000 measurements show it having more output capability than his PB-2000 measurements, which should throw up a red flag.

The PB-1000 is supposed to be around 2dB down from the PB12-NSD's data-bass.com numbers. So if the Monoprice numbers prove accurate, the Monolith 10" will easily outperform the PB-1000 and even outperform the PB12-NSD.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #36 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
That PB-1000 review Brent Butterworth did for S&V is widely regarded as "off", putting it kindly. Not sure what Brent was smoking that day or if his measuring equipment was out of whack, but something went awry. Brent also reviewed the PB-2000 and through a good chunk of the frequency response his PB-1000 measurements show it having more output capability than his PB-2000 measurements, which should throw up a red flag.

The PB-1000 is supposed to be around 2dB down from the PB12-NSD's data-bass.com numbers. So if the Monoprice numbers prove accurate, the Monolith 10" will easily outperform the PB-1000 and even outperform the PB12-NSD.
The Pb1000 is "supposed" to be 2dB down versus xyz? According to what evidence? At every frequency?

The PB2000 outguns the Pb1000(both measured by brent) from about 45-50hz and down so that shouldn't cause any controversy. The Pb1000 did about the same at 50hz and was 2(?) dB more powerful at 63hz. So one measurement out of six data points. Not sure I'd call that a "good chuck". At any rate that could be easily explained in a variety of ways. The most obvious would be internal(to svs) DSP manipulation. Like the 12" sister sub(the pb12nsd) svs may have throttled back the pb2000 more than usual in the mid/upper bass. Or it could be the 10" in the pb1000 is inherently more efficient. If so, that advantage would show up when the system isn't displacement limited(mid/upper bass). Or, it could be a combination of both. Or it could be something entirely unrelated to these but perhaps contributing to them as well.

Point being. I would caution against casually dismissing any measurement(especially one from a guy like Brent) just because it wasn't what you/me/anyone expected.

Looking at cea-2010 data sets(even from the same reviewer) with a +/- 0.5 window is never a bad idea and I could make the argument for +/- 0.75. There's quite a few variables that no one (that I know of) spends much time worrying about. Also, even taken as absolutely accurate CEA-2010 is still limited in what it infers with regards to how a subwoofer will sound.

The mono-thx subs look to be pretty inefficient at each size. So being outgunned (significantly) in the mid/upper bass shouldn't be any surprise. The hsu vtf-2 does the same to the mono-10, the hsu vtf-3 does the same to the mono 12(at about the same pricing). The bigger hsu stuff and the rythmik fv15hp does the same to the mono-15. The pattern is established. So an efficient 10" doing it to the mono-10. I mean, where's the surprise factor?

.......HSU VTF-2 ($570?) vs. mono-10($500)

20hz........101.3---------------101.8
25hz........103.3---------------105.5
31hz........105.9---------------106.3

40hz........109.5---------------106.7
50hz........112.1---------------107.1
63hz........112.7---------------107.6
80hz........112.5---------------107.9

And it should be noted that this is one port mode for the Hsu which extends deeper than the mono10. If we used two ports for the hsu...it would have more output across the board and a HUGE(more than double) advantage when averaged from 40-100hz.

So all of the comparisons between the mono woofs and the better ID stuff(rythmik, hsu, pb1000) all show the same tendencies. Very close in the deep bass...but the mono stuff is WAY behind in the mid and upper bass at any given price point(or say within +/- $40?)


Putting a good 10" driver in a (relatively) huge ported cabinet will often surprise. Look back on the initial reactions when the Pb1000 predecessor the PB10isd was first measured..

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=35474.0

The reviewer was sure his measurement gear was off kilter. Of course the guy who designed the pb10isd was pretty awesome /s...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
biga6761 likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #37 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unretarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ventura Ca
Posts: 4,078
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
.......HSU VTF-2 ($570?) vs. mono-10($500)

20hz........101.3---------------101.8
25hz........103.3---------------105.5
31hz........105.9---------------106.3

40hz........109.5---------------106.7
50hz........112.1---------------107.1
63hz........112.7---------------107.6
80hz........112.5---------------107.9






It looks like a 11.3 DB variance left side and a 6.1 on the right.........a number war is nice to pick a winner.


But if you are only going to use 3DB over the lowest number, do any of the other numbers matter ?




Granted we get some low end room gain in most usage scenarios, but still, one is +- 5.65DB and the other is +- 3.01 DB....




Unless we disregard the + or - 3DB standard just because these are being pushed to the max, maybe the hsu will do a nice +-3db down at a level you can barely hear it......or with a bunch o DSP.




Looks like one will behave when pushed, the other will not.




If I was pushing a homebuilt sub to the limits and dialing it in.......I would be super happy with the right hand measurements and I would consider the left hand ones to be very poor and need much work.




If you were pushing a sub to the max , which numbers would you want ?


I pick the right hand side, the mono, looks to be very very well behaved when pushed to the max.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
unretarded is offline  
post #38 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post

Unless we disregard the + or - 3DB standard just because these are being pushed to the max, maybe the hsu will do a nice +-3db down at a level you can barely hear it......or with a bunch o DSP.

Looks like one will behave when pushed, the other will not.

If I was pushing a homebuilt sub to the limits and dialing it in.......I would be super happy with the right hand measurements and I would consider the left hand ones to be very poor and need much work.

If you were pushing a sub to the max , which numbers would you want ?
You're projecting FR tolerances like +/- 3dB onto max output capabilities when they have little/no correlation in this context. If you had one sub that measured (max output) 100dB at every frequency and one sub that measured 97-98-99dB from 15-35hz and then 105dB above that...I can assure you(all else being equal of course) the latter would sound more powerful and be preferred by just about everyone. You can search on this topic and see the same opinions from Josh and M Seaton as well. Linearity within max output numbers is irrelevant. More is always better, always. It's like trying to determine output with a FR graph. Neither works.

There's hundreds(maybe thousands?) of user testimonials available on the subject as well. Dozens and dozens of examples but an easy one to check would be the pb13u versus submersive threads. They would likely looks much like the chart you referenced. Pb13u having much less "variance", stronger in a narrow bandwidth(say 16-30hz) but the subm being much strong 40-100hz. Go back and check on how all of those comparison sessions played out


I have no idea how you are deciding which will be "behaved"? Again, cea-2010 scores really have no relevance to that in any way, shape, or form.

All else being equal, the Hsu would be preferred by the vast majority and sound much more powerful with 99.9% of demanding material at louder levels.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 01-28-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #39 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The Pb1000 is "supposed" to be 2dB down versus xyz? According to what evidence? At every frequency?

The PB2000 outguns the Pb1000(both measured by brent) from about 45-50hz and down so that shouldn't cause any controversy. The Pb1000 did about the same at 50hz and was 2(?) dB more powerful at 63hz. So one measurement out of six data points. Not sure I'd call that a "good chuck". At any rate that could be easily explained in a variety of ways. The most obvious would be internal(to svs) DSP manipulation. Like the 12" sister sub(the pb12nsd) svs may have throttled back the pb2000 more than usual in the mid/upper bass. Or it could be the 10" in the pb1000 is inherently more efficient. If so, that advantage would show up when the system isn't displacement limited(mid/upper bass). Or, it could be a combination of both. Or it could be something entirely unrelated to these but perhaps contributing to them as well.

Point being. I would caution against casually dismissing any measurement(especially one from a guy like Brent) just because it wasn't what you/me/anyone expected.

Looking at cea-2010 data sets(even from the same reviewer) with a +/- 0.5 window is never a bad idea and I could make the argument for +/- 0.75. There's quite a few variables that no one (that I know of) spends much time worrying about. Also, even taken as absolutely accurate CEA-2010 is still limited in what it infers with regards to how a subwoofer will sound.

The mono-thx subs look to be pretty inefficient at each size. So being outgunned (significantly) in the mid/upper bass shouldn't be any surprise. The hsu vtf-2 does the same to the mono-10, the hsu vtf-3 does the same to the mono 12(at about the same pricing). The bigger hsu stuff and the rythmik fv15hp does the same to the mono-15. The pattern is established. So an efficient 10" doing it to the mono-10. I mean, where's the surprise factor?

.......HSU VTF-2 ($570?) vs. mono-10($500)

20hz........101.3---------------101.8
25hz........103.3---------------105.5
31hz........105.9---------------106.3

40hz........109.5---------------106.7
50hz........112.1---------------107.1
63hz........112.7---------------107.6
80hz........112.5---------------107.9

And it should be noted that this is one port mode for the Hsu which extends deeper than the mono10. If we used two ports for the hsu...it would have more output across the board and a HUGE(more than double) advantage when averaged from 40-100hz.

So all of the comparisons between the mono woofs and the better ID stuff(rythmik, hsu, pb1000) all show the same tendencies. Very close in the deep bass...but the mono stuff is WAY behind in the mid and upper bass at any given price point(or say within +/- $40?)


Putting a good 10" driver in a (relatively) huge ported cabinet will often surprise. Look back on the initial reactions when the Pb1000 predecessor the PB10isd was first measured..

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=35474.0

The reviewer was sure his measurement gear was off kilter. Of course the guy who designed the pb10isd was pretty awesome /s...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I had called SVS a few years ago and was told the PB-1000 is down around 2dB compared to the PB12-NSD. I'm sure a little more higher in frequency range, a little less lower. Not sure how you may have missed it, Tom, but the PB-1000 testing BB did was widely panned as inaccurate. I've read many comments on it over the past few years. Even Ed Mullen said it was inaccurate. Post #2 > https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ls-15-mk1.html

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #40 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The Pb1000 is "supposed" to be 2dB down versus xyz? According to what evidence? At every frequency?

The PB2000 outguns the Pb1000(both measured by brent) from about 45-50hz and down so that shouldn't cause any controversy. The Pb1000 did about the same at 50hz and was 2(?) dB more powerful at 63hz. So one measurement out of six data points. Not sure I'd call that a "good chuck". At any rate that could be easily explained in a variety of ways. The most obvious would be internal(to svs) DSP manipulation. Like the 12" sister sub(the pb12nsd) svs may have throttled back the pb2000 more than usual in the mid/upper bass. Or it could be the 10" in the pb1000 is inherently more efficient. If so, that advantage would show up when the system isn't displacement limited(mid/upper bass). Or, it could be a combination of both. Or it could be something entirely unrelated to these but perhaps contributing to them as well.

Point being. I would caution against casually dismissing any measurement(especially one from a guy like Brent) just because it wasn't what you/me/anyone expected.

Looking at cea-2010 data sets(even from the same reviewer) with a +/- 0.5 window is never a bad idea and I could make the argument for +/- 0.75. There's quite a few variables that no one (that I know of) spends much time worrying about. Also, even taken as absolutely accurate CEA-2010 is still limited in what it infers with regards to how a subwoofer will sound.

The mono-thx subs look to be pretty inefficient at each size. So being outgunned (significantly) in the mid/upper bass shouldn't be any surprise. The hsu vtf-2 does the same to the mono-10, the hsu vtf-3 does the same to the mono 12(at about the same pricing). The bigger hsu stuff and the rythmik fv15hp does the same to the mono-15. The pattern is established. So an efficient 10" doing it to the mono-10. I mean, where's the surprise factor?

.......HSU VTF-2 ($570?) vs. mono-10($500)

20hz........101.3---------------101.8
25hz........103.3---------------105.5
31hz........105.9---------------106.3

40hz........109.5---------------106.7
50hz........112.1---------------107.1
63hz........112.7---------------107.6
80hz........112.5---------------107.9

And it should be noted that this is one port mode for the Hsu which extends deeper than the mono10. If we used two ports for the hsu...it would have more output across the board and a HUGE(more than double) advantage when averaged from 40-100hz.

So all of the comparisons between the mono woofs and the better ID stuff(rythmik, hsu, pb1000) all show the same tendencies. Very close in the deep bass...but the mono stuff is WAY behind in the mid and upper bass at any given price point(or say within +/- $40?)


Putting a good 10" driver in a (relatively) huge ported cabinet will often surprise. Look back on the initial reactions when the Pb1000 predecessor the PB10isd was first measured..

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=35474.0

The reviewer was sure his measurement gear was off kilter. Of course the guy who designed the pb10isd was pretty awesome /s...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks for the information and analysis.

I looked fairly hard at 2 ported and one sealed HSU Research subwoofers but I just deemed their non entry level ported subs as too large.

7740 is the volume of the 12" HSU sub you reference here.
The 10" Monoprice is 5585 in terms of volume and given I live in a fairly small place, I didn't want to get a subwoofer that dominated my living room. I guess DAF instead of WAF. Monoprice Monolith 10" is already stretching it a little beyond what I would like and that more than just price is why I ruled out the Monoprice 12" and many other ported subs.

Other than it being a little larger than I would like, it does appear to me that the Monoprice 10 was designed really well for a customer like me. In my particular case, output in the low range and low distortion is more important to me than additional output in the upper ranges since I just don't think I will be able to play the subwoofer that loud unless I move which I don't anticipate doing anytime soon.. I rarely expect my room to go much beyond 100 db while watching Blu-rays so I had even been contemplating whether or not the sealed SVS SB-12-NSB was going to be loud enough.

The HSU Research sub didn't make sense for me since not only was it too big for what I was looking for but it was more expensive after figuring in taxes + shipping by around $165. ($648.77 for HSU VTF-2 after taxes/shipping vs $483 for 10" Monoprice after taxes/shipping(with $50 discount). Now if one lives near HSU Research showroom in Anaheim, CA or if one can't get a $50 discount on the Monoprice, the price difference is less significant. If I was a local buyer I probably would have splurged and gone with the sealed ULS 15 MK2 since any needed repairs would be easy and maybe I take that sub to a new place if I move 5 years from now.
dan2017 is offline  
post #41 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I had called SVS a few years ago and was told the PB-1000 is down around 2dB compared to the PB12-NSD. I'm sure a little more higher in frequency range, a little less lower. Not sure how you may have missed it, Tom, but the PB-1000 testing BB did was widely panned as inaccurate. I've read many comments on it over the past few years. Even Ed Mullen said it was inaccurate. Post #2 > https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ls-15-mk1.html
I've seen it all "widely panned", myself included, so that never revs my tach much.. I would also need a large grain of salt to base my opinion on an anonymous third party taking a tiny snippet of a claimed text from ed. ed says it is inaccurate, where's his measured cea-2010 for it? I'm sure he has it filed somewhere?

And with reviews like this it is sent to the manufacturer for accuracy checks before publishing. If svs *knew* the data was heavily skewed in their favor why would they give it the thumbs up? And even now, if they STILL know it is inaccurate and misleading...why have it bannered at the very top of the product page? The whole thing would reek a bit, no?

Anyway, I do see your point and I'll eliminate the pb10 from any of my responses until we get Scully and Molder on it. The truth is out there! ..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
biga6761 likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #42 of 1286 Old 01-28-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I've seen it all "widely panned", myself included, so that never revs my tach much.. I would also need a large grain of salt to base my opinion on an anonymous third party taking a tiny snippet of a claimed text from ed. ed says it is inaccurate, where's his measured cea-2010 for it? I'm sure he has it filed somewhere?

And with reviews like this it is sent to the manufacturer for accuracy checks before publishing. If svs *knew* the data was heavily skewed in their favor why would they give it the thumbs up? And even now, if they STILL know it is inaccurate and misleading...why have it bannered at the very top of the product page? The whole thing would reek a bit, no?

Anyway, I do see your point and I'll eliminate the pb10 from any of my responses until we get Scully and Molder on it. The truth is out there! ..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Look no further. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...qxjynv7-3.html
Ed doesn't give the PB-1000 numbers above 40Hz, which is where the bigger disparity lies in BB's measurements. Also, the PB-1000 is 3dB down to the PB12-NSD lower in range and the advantage lessens higher in range. Which is probably why the phone jockey at SVS told me the PB-1000 was around 2dB down to the PB12.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #43 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Well look what showed up unannounced. Shipped UPS Freight and only shipped out late Monday, so I was surprised when the sub arrived today. I can say the UPS Freight delivery was on a tractor trailer with a liftgate, so delivery was smooth. Kudos to Monoprice for shipping this freight instead of UPS ground, which greatly increases the chance for damage.


Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #44 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 PM
Member
 
GiantBubbleGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 81
[QUOTE=MIX_MASTER_ICE;55609488]Well look what showed up unannounced. Shipped UPS Freight and only shipped out late Monday, so I was surprised when the sub arrived today. I can say the UPS Freight delivery was on a tractor trailer with a liftgate, so delivery was smooth. Kudos to Monoprice for shipping this freight instead of UPS ground, which greatly increases the chance for damage.

Nice. I look forward to your thoughts on it. I love mine.
GiantBubbleGuy is offline  
post #45 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Look no further. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...qxjynv7-3.html
Ed doesn't give the PB-1000 numbers above 40Hz, which is where the bigger disparity lies in BB's measurements. Also, the PB-1000 is 3dB down to the PB12-NSD lower in range and the advantage lessens higher in range. Which is probably why the phone jockey at SVS told me the PB-1000 was around 2dB down to the PB12.


You do realize the numbers ed gave and the numbers I quoted from Brent are pretty close right? I mean, the whole "I don't know what who was smoking stuff..but something was whack and screwed up for sure..."


BB----ed

20hz...101.6----99.8
25hz...104------102.9
31hz...105.9----104.0

So averaged we're talking +/- less than one decibel..more like +/- 0.75dB.

This is well within equipment/weather/condition tolerance from test to test. Check with Mark Seaton, or Josh

Perhaps above 40hz is more head scratching without seeing the svs measurements to compare its conjuncture to some degree.

Ideally someone might get a re-measure at some point for clarity of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #46 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
You do realize the numbers ed gave and the numbers I quoted from Brent are pretty close right? I mean, the whole "I don't know what who was smoking stuff..but something was whack and screwed up for sure..."


BB----ed

20hz...101.6----99.8
25hz...104------102.9
31hz...105.9----104.0

So averaged we're talking +/- less than one decibel..more like +/- 0.75dB.

This is well within equipment/weather/condition tolerance from test to test. Check with Mark Seaton, or Josh

Perhaps above 40hz is more head scratching without seeing the svs measurements to compare its conjuncture to some degree.

Ideally someone might get a re-measure at some point for clarity of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yeah, it's less of an issue lower in range, but becomes odd higher in range, such as 40Hz. At 50Hz Brent has the PB-1000 having more output than the PB-2000 per his testing of each. I think he needs to find a more consistent way to measure.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #47 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
[quote=GiantBubbleGuy;55609576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Well look what showed up unannounced. Shipped UPS Freight and only shipped out late Monday, so I was surprised when the sub arrived today. I can say the UPS Freight delivery was on a tractor trailer with a liftgate, so delivery was smooth. Kudos to Monoprice for shipping this freight instead of UPS ground, which greatly increases the chance for damage.

Nice. I look forward to your thoughts on it. I love mine.
First off, I'm very impressed with the packaging of the sub. Heavy double boxes with the sub itself even coming in a cloth drawstring bag. It's similar cloth material that the Outlaw subs come in. Even the grille came in a cloth covering. No plastic in the box other than the bag the power cable came in. The packaging is second to none. As I mentioned previously, also impressed Monoprice sends the 12" out via UPS Freight. This is more costly for them, but I bet it will drastically reduce damage claims compared to UPS or FedEx ground.

Physically, the Monolith 12 is big. It's built like a tank and this is probably the heaviest 12" commercially available sub. I have no problem moving my SVS PB12-NSD's or RBH subs around, but this Monolith is a different story. Had to break out the furniture sliders for fear of throwing my back out. Sub is covered in a wood grain vinyl wrap, much like what you would find on the SVS PB-2000. It looks good enough, but obviously not as slick as something like a premium piano black finish. Sub rides on 6 small feet, again, much like the 4 feet you would find on the PB-2000. Small, cone shaped "nubs" as I like to call them. I personally would have preferred something a bit more substantial, but that's not the case here. The grille is a full 1" thick MDF. Again, Monoprice didn't skimp here and it's a very sturdy, substantial grille with a very transparent covering.

Sound wise I haven't done much with it yet, giving it a chance to stretch it's legs after it's truck ride to my house. Two things initially struck me, however. The gain isn't very sensitive on the amp. I had to turn the gain noticeably higher than I would have with either the PB12 or I-12/e. The sub has a very different sound to it compared to probably any of the many subs I've previously owned. It seems very tight (in a good way) and has a presence to it that's hard to describe. Even in 1 port extended mode it just sounds "deep" and extremely composed listening to music. It sounds like a bigger sub if I didn't know better, like a 15" driver. I've only played music and increased the volume to moderately high volume after a couple of hours. I can say the Monolith 12" has no problems at all filling my 2700 ft^3 room for music by itself. The verdict is still out for movie LFE, which I will probably tackle this weekend after the sub has 15-20 hours on it. So far for music this sub is excellent.
chucky7, Leon! and unretarded like this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 01-31-2018 at 05:34 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #48 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,505
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2815 Post(s)
Liked: 3513
[quote=MIX_MASTER_ICE;55610626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

First off, I'm very impressed with the packaging of the sub. Heavy double boxes with the sub itself even coming in a cloth drawstring bag. It's similar cloth material that the Outlaw subs come in. Even the grille came in a cloth covering. No plastic in the box other than the bag the power cable came in. The packaging is second to none. As I mentioned previously, also impressed Monoprice sends the 12" out via UPS Freight. This is more costly for them, but I bet it will drastically reduce damage claims compared to UPS or FedEx ground.

Physically, the Monolith 12 is big. It's built like a tank and this is probably the heaviest 12" commercially available sub. I have no problem moving my SVS PB12-NSD's or RBH subs around, but this Monolith is a different story. Had to break out the furniture sliders for fear of throwing my back out. Sub is covered in a wood grain vinyl wrap, much like what you would find on the SVS PB-2000. It looks good enough, but obviously not as slick as something like a premium piano black finish. Sub rides on 6 small feet, again, much like the 4 feet you would find on the PB-2000. Small, cone shaped "nubs" as I like to call them. I personally would have preferred something a bit more substantial, but that's not the case here. The grille is a full 1" thick MDF. Again, Monoprice didn't skimp here and it's a very sturdy, substantial grille with a very transparent covering.

Sound wise I haven't done much with it yet, giving it a chance to stretch it's legs after it's truck ride to my house. Two things initially struck me, however. The gain isn't very sensitive on the amp. I had to turn the gain noticeably higher than I would have with either the PB12 or I-12/e. The sub has a very different sound to it compared to probably any of the many subs I've previously owned. It seems very tight (in a good way) and has a presence to it that's hard to describe. Even in 1 port extended mode it just sounds "deep" and extremely composed listening to music. It sounds like a bigger sub if I didn't know better, like a 15" driver. I've only played music and increased the volume to moderately high volume after a couple of hours. I can say the Monolith 12" has no problems at all filling my 2700 ft^3 room for music by itself. The verdict is still out for movie LFE, which I will probably tackle this weekend after the sub has 15-20 hours on it. So far for music this sub is excellent.
Very cool. So far have not hard anything negative about these subs, on the contrary its been quite positive and from folks that have some potent subs like JTR

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #49 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
[quote=MIX_MASTER_ICE;55610626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

F The grille is a full 1" thick MDF. Again, Monoprice didn't skimp here and it's a very sturdy, substantial grille with a very transparent covering.
Can you confirm that the specs/size listed for it include the grill and the controls on the amp(ala hsu)? I couldn't find any mention of that. Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #50 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
[QUOTE=Tom Vodhanel;55611292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

F The grille is a full 1" thick MDF. Again, Monoprice didn't skimp here and it's a very sturdy, substantial grille with a very transparent covering.
Can you confirm that the specs/size listed for it include the grill and the controls on the amp(ala hsu)? I couldn't find any mention of that. Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I'm not at home now, but I will measure it and post them asap.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #51 of 1286 Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Member
 
GiantBubbleGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 81
[quote=Tom Vodhanel;55611292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post

Can you confirm that the specs/size listed for it include the grill and the controls on the amp(ala hsu)? I couldn't find any mention of that. Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
The published dimensions do not include the grill or controls. The depth including the grill (not including controls) is 25 3/8".
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

Last edited by GiantBubbleGuy; 01-31-2018 at 07:55 PM.
GiantBubbleGuy is offline  
post #52 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
[quote=MIX_MASTER_ICE;55610626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

First off, I'm very impressed with the packaging of the sub. Heavy double boxes with the sub itself even coming in a cloth drawstring bag. It's similar cloth material that the Outlaw subs come in. Even the grille came in a cloth covering. No plastic in the box other than the bag the power cable came in. The packaging is second to none. As I mentioned previously, also impressed Monoprice sends the 12" out via UPS Freight. This is more costly for them, but I bet it will drastically reduce damage claims compared to UPS or FedEx ground.

Physically, the Monolith 12 is big. It's built like a tank and this is probably the heaviest 12" commercially available sub. I have no problem moving my SVS PB12-NSD's or RBH subs around, but this Monolith is a different story. Had to break out the furniture sliders for fear of throwing my back out. Sub is covered in a wood grain vinyl wrap, much like what you would find on the SVS PB-2000. It looks good enough, but obviously not as slick as something like a premium piano black finish. Sub rides on 6 small feet, again, much like the 4 feet you would find on the PB-2000. Small, cone shaped "nubs" as I like to call them. I personally would have preferred something a bit more substantial, but that's not the case here. The grille is a full 1" thick MDF. Again, Monoprice didn't skimp here and it's a very sturdy, substantial grille with a very transparent covering.

Sound wise I haven't done much with it yet, giving it a chance to stretch it's legs after it's truck ride to my house. Two things initially struck me, however. The gain isn't very sensitive on the amp. I had to turn the gain noticeably higher than I would have with either the PB12 or I-12/e. The sub has a very different sound to it compared to probably any of the many subs I've previously owned. It seems very tight (in a good way) and has a presence to it that's hard to describe. Even in 1 port extended mode it just sounds "deep" and extremely composed listening to music. It sounds like a bigger sub if I didn't know better, like a 15" driver. I've only played music and increased the volume to moderately high volume after a couple of hours. I can say the Monolith 12" has no problems at all filling my 2700 ft^3 room for music by itself. The verdict is still out for movie LFE, which I will probably tackle this weekend after the sub has 15-20 hours on it. So far for music this sub is excellent.
Mix_master_ Ice,
Would you say this has a lot more output than the pb12nsd and does it dig deeper? I’m really wanting to run duals. Was thinking of grabbing one of the monolith 12 to go with my pb12nsd or adding another pb12nsd. How well do you think the mono 12 would integrate with the pb12nsd and would it be advantageous to add this instead of a second pb12nsd?
Thanks in advance

Klipsch RB61ii FL/FR
Klipsch RC62ii Center
Sony Core Surrounds
SVS PB12NSD
Sony 45ES & Silver Ticket 120”
wolverines06 is offline  
post #53 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
[quote=GiantBubbleGuy;55611394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

The published dimensions do not include the grill or controls. The depth including the grill (not including controls) is 25 3/8".
That's what I was thinking just from the eyeball test per the photos available. That puts the overall size just about equal to the Hsu vtf-2.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #54 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
[quote=GiantBubbleGuy;55611394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

The published dimensions do not include the grill or controls. The depth including the grill (not including controls) is 25 3/8".
With grille off I measure the cabinet only depth at 23.75". I believe Monoprice lists the depth at 23.6"

[quote=wolverines06;55613196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post

Mix_master_ Ice,
Would you say this has a lot more output than the pb12nsd and does it dig deeper? I’m really wanting to run duals. Was thinking of grabbing one of the monolith 12 to go with my pb12nsd or adding another pb12nsd. How well do you think the mono 12 would integrate with the pb12nsd and would it be advantageous to add this instead of a second pb12nsd?
Thanks in advance
I can't really say how the Monolith sounds for movie LFE, as I have yet to run my usual test scenes through it. Output wise this thing seems very strong. It sounds quite a bit stronger than either the PB12-NSD or RBH I-12/e. This weekend I plan to put the sub through it's paces with Edge of Tomorrow, WWZ, Underworld Awakening, Tron: Legacy and a few others.

[quote=Tom Vodhanel;55613208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

That's what I was thinking just from the eyeball test per the photos available. That puts the overall size just about equal to the Hsu vtf-2.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
The Monolith 12 cabinet is actually closer to the VTF-3 than the VTF-2. Overall, it's actually even a bit larger than the VTF-3 mk5 HP.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #55 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,833
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 10165
[quote=MIX_MASTER_ICE;55615380][quote=GiantBubbleGuy;55611394]

With grille off I measure the cabinet only depth at 23.75". I believe Monoprice lists the depth at 23.6"

[quote=wolverines06;55613196]
I can't really say how the Monolith sounds for movie LFE, as I have yet to run my usual test scenes through it. Output wise this thing seems very strong. It sounds quite a bit stronger than either the PB12-NSD or RBH I-12/e. This weekend I plan to put the sub through it's paces with Edge of Tomorrow, WWZ, Underworld Awakening, Tron: Legacy and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

The Monolith 12 cabinet is actually closer to the VTF-3 than the VTF-2. Overall, it's actually even a bit larger than the VTF-3 mk5 HP.
Yup, my bad. I was thinking back to the poster who mentioned (one of the reasons)he went with the mon-10 over the VTF-2 because it was much smaller(when they are about the same size). I need a vacation. Thanks for the sanity check mix!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #56 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,055
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Yup, my bad. I was thinking back to the poster who mentioned (one of the reasons)he went with the mon-10 over the VTF-2 because it was much smaller(when they are about the same size). I need a vacation. Thanks for the sanity check mix!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
As many hours as you put in and as accessible you are to customers and potential customers, you certainly deserve a nice vacation.
indebtbassfreak likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #57 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
neelesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Don't suppose anyone has bought the 10" sub? With the 20% off, $450 is striking price for me, and I want to see if upgrading from a PB-1000 to this would be worth it (this wouldn't be for many many months).

If this is only slightly better, I may have to start considering the higher ended subs like the PB-2000 or HSU VTF2 MK5 or Rythmik LV12R. I won't ever be able to spend more than $800 on a sub, but I want my next step up to be at minimum 33% more powerful .
neelesh is offline  
post #58 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sk373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelesh View Post
Don't suppose anyone has bought the 10" sub? With the 20% off, $450 is striking price for me, and I want to see if upgrading from a PB-1000 to this would be worth it (this wouldn't be for many many months).

If this is only slightly better, I may have to start considering the higher ended subs like the PB-2000 or HSU VTF2 MK5 or Rythmik LV12R. I won't ever be able to spend more than $800 on a sub, but I want my next step up to be at minimum 33% more powerful .
IMHO, the Monolith 10 would be an incremental upgrade from the PB1000. I wouldn’t bother, unless you were going to run it with the PB1000 in a dual configuration.

Why wouldn’t you ever be able to spend more than $800 on a sub? If you can spend $800, you can wait and save a bit more. It would be well worth it, because there is a considerable performance jump once you get to the $900 to $1,300 price range.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
sk373 is offline  
post #59 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelesh View Post
Don't suppose anyone has bought the 10" sub? With the 20% off, $450 is striking price for me, and I want to see if upgrading from a PB-1000 to this would be worth it (this wouldn't be for many many months).

If this is only slightly better, I may have to start considering the higher ended subs like the PB-2000 or HSU VTF2 MK5 or Rythmik LV12R. I won't ever be able to spend more than $800 on a sub, but I want my next step up to be at minimum 33% more powerful .
IDk that it'd be a significant upgrade over any respectable 12" but hold on- 20% off $499 isn't $450, and aren't the monolith subs excluded from the 20% off coupons anyways? Let me know what I'm missing, I too am interested.
Leon! is offline  
post #60 of 1286 Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
neelesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
IMHO, the Monolith 10 would be an incremental upgrade from the PB1000. I wouldn’t bother, unless you were going to run it with the PB1000 in a dual configuration.

Why wouldn’t you ever be able to spend more than $800 on a sub? If you can spend $800, you can wait and save a bit more. It would be well worth it, because there is a considerable performance jump once you get to the $900 to $1,300 price range.
Ah... maybe I should wait for a better one then. I want duals one day, and want to stick with the subs for 10 years plus. My fiance already thinks the PB-1000 is too big and too powerful (she doesn't like super loud) and so I want my next subs being only a little bit bigger (PC-2000 may be an option) but with better deep bass. Duals for those subs will already run me $1,300+ one day (including selling my current sub), and that is going to take some serious hardcore persuading to spend even that much, since that's basically the cost of an international trip! Maybe I will have to stick with dual pb-1000s, but if I can get ONE sub that's better for $200/300 more after selling the PB-1000, that will be much more acceptable (then I can down the line try for duals, and worst case I'll have one slightly powerful sub as even dual PB-1000s will take up a lot of room).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post
IDk that it'd be a significant upgrade over any respectable 12" but hold on- 20% off $499 isn't $450, and aren't the monolith subs excluded from the 20% off coupons anyways? Let me know what I'm missing, I too am interested.
Yes I think all the 20% off coupons exclude the monolith but I heard a recent 20% off coupon did work on it. So I guess they have very limited 20% off coupons that work on the monoliths.
neelesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
muchbetterthanpsa , overrated , overrated wannabe sub , psasucks

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off