Official Monoprice THX Subwoofers - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 653Likes

post #1351 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked: 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinoonm View Post
I bought a Monolith 15. I have yet to do any proper setup and calibration. I just played some bass-heavy songs on youtube. Is it normal for the subwoofer cabinet to vibrate with 30 Hz bass? The sub is on furniture movers which are on a slate floor.
Vibrate as in the cabinet is resonating or you feel vibration when you place your hand on it? If it's the former that may be due to the furniture movers and the hard floor surface, if it's the latter that would be the expected behavior.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite.

BTW, did you really need to quote the entire post?

Last edited by JimWilson; 12-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Did some BF shopping and added 2 additional Subs in the rear. I am moving from 2x Rythmik FV15HP in the front to 4x Monolith 12s in all four corners. I love FV15HPs but they were an overkill for my room so rather than buying 2 more of them I chose to switch to 4x Monolith 12s. TBH, even without running the Audyssey, I felt this was the most impactful improvement in the sound in my room. Earlier the bass was uneven. It was either too loud leading to rattles or too low in other scenes at the same volume but now the bass is lot more even from scene to scene and consistent. I would highly recommend 4 'good' subs over 2 'insane' subs.

JOjr and Dootinn like this.

FS: QSC DPA 4.2 Amplifier
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | JBL SDP-55 | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Denon X4400H | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
post #1353 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, thanks for your response. I feel the cabinet shake when I put my hand on it. Didn't know this was expected behavior (thought that it being HDF it wouldn't do that). What did you mean by resonating? How would I check for that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinoonm View Post
Hi, thanks for your response. I feel the cabinet shake when I put my hand on it. Didn't know this was expected behavior (thought that it being HDF it wouldn't do that). What did you mean by resonating? How would I check for that?
You have a powerful subwoofer so there is a strong backwave coming off the driver bouncing around inside the cabinet. To fully dampen that would require some pretty significant (read costly) engineering and materials so some measure of vibration is to be expected.

Resonating in the sense that the cabinet itself is making sound. Every single thing on this earth has a "resonate frequency", the frequency at which it begins to vibrate. Your subwoofer cabinet is no exception. Provided the sound it makes when vibrating is inaudible then it's no big deal, it's only when you can hear the sympathetic vibrations that it becomes objectionable.

post #1355 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Maybe escalating to higher level support and/or mentioning Hobie's name and what he said might help. Worth trying.

It's possible, but he stopped answering my emails so I am not confident in this approach at this point, and don't really want to waste several hours jumping through support calls. At this point, it's much easier to just box the beast up and follow the standard RMA process.
drh3b likes this.
post #1356 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Thank you so much. That's a good explanation.

post #1357 of 1748 Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Looks like they are running a 10% off sale on subs right now for Black Friday.

Use code 2019MSUB, and it works with their multi-sub discounts too.

Going to order 2 12's!!!!

Just ordered two 10” subs with the same discounts. Looking forward to it!
355F1 and JOjr like this.
post #1358 of 1748 Old 12-07-2019, 06:33 PM

I tried googling this but got nowhere (i know I'm not using correct search parameters or something). I know how to read the freq response chart when the Y-axis is in absolute numbers. But this graph has negative numbers. I'm guessing it's relative to something, but I don't know how to read it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monolith-freq-response.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	2650858  

post #1359 of 1748 Old 12-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnz28 View Post
I purchased an open box 12" a few months back which I am regretting and hoping someone here may have some ideas. A couple weeks after getting it I noticed some low level noise coming from the sub. It is not a hum or buzz and not constant and fluctuates. Best way I can think to describe it is if it's windy outside and air is getting through a cracked window or door. When I noticed this I emailed monoprice whom took 2 weeks to respond with an answer that was less than helpful and seemed the person did not understand the issue or question. During that time though I had messed with cables and settings and I can't recall exactly what I had done but I think I had found that I had the subwoofer always on and if I changed it to standby it seemed so stop happening. I honestly don't get to use this whole setup very often so time passes between uses. Anyway sometime later the problem has since recurred a couple times.

I have found that the input cable makes no difference when it happens, if I completely unplug from the receiver the noise is still there. I've tried more than one electrical circuit as well. I have noticed that adjusting the low pass filter will change the amount or what is coming out of the speaker when it is making this noise. The problem is not consistent and does not always occur. Typically unplugging the sub and letting it power down (unplugged the led flashs for a bit of time) and plugging it back in makes the problem go away.

I tried emailing monoprice again a while back for help on what could be wrong and they were quicker to respond this time but basically just said I was outside my 30/90-day window and to find a repair shop. I'm assuming at this point it's probably something on the amp going bad or faulty the curious if anyone has any ideas on what it could be or what I should be looking for. Doing some reading it sounded like it could be maybe a bad solder joint or even just a loose wire
So back on page 41 I reported this above issue with my 12" sub. Someone here pointed me to Hobie who was kind enough to take care of me and sent me a replacement openbox sub. The replacement sub arrived in early September and while I don't get many chances to listen to it for extended periods more than once a week at most it seemed to be behaving properly. Then on Nov 8th I found it started experiencing the noise again, I hoped it was a fluke but then two weeks later same thing.

Seems to only typically do it after listening a couple hours. I have to pull the plug or at minimum flip the power switch and let it power down, pulling the RCA has no impact. When I pull power it will continue until the light shuts off. Once I power it back on it is usually fine again at least for a while but then the other day when it happened if I pulled power and only waited a short time it seemed to happen again quick, I had to pull power and let it sit for a while.

I have tried contacting Hobie a handful of times about this 2nd sub and got one response a few weeks back asking about was it on a power strip or shared circuit. Informed that it was on a strip with a few other devices (not the TV or receiver) and that I have put both this sub and the prior on a circuit with no other AV equipment, or much else for that matter, and it has again happened.

One thing I should have done sooner was take a clip of the sound. I took this with my phone and sent to him as well last week. In-person the sound has more flutter or dynamic to it than the audio recording seems to have caught but it gives an idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16bz...tQd2e6pkA/view

Could I have just gotten a 2nd defective one? I think I saw someone here say they had parts now.... maybe I can just get a new amp for it sent if so.
post #1360 of 1748 Old 12-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
So back on page 41 I reported this above issue with my 12" sub. Someone here pointed me to Hobie who was kind enough to take care of me and sent me a replacement openbox sub. The replacement sub arrived in early September and while I don't get many chances to listen to it for extended periods more than once a week at most it seemed to be behaving properly. Then on Nov 8th I found it started experiencing the noise again, I hoped it was a fluke but then two weeks later same thing.

Seems to only typically do it after listening a couple hours. I have to pull the plug or at minimum flip the power switch and let it power down, pulling the RCA has no impact. When I pull power it will continue until the light shuts off. Once I power it back on it is usually fine again at least for a while but then the other day when it happened if I pulled power and only waited a short time it seemed to happen again quick, I had to pull power and let it sit for a while.

I have tried contacting Hobie a handful of times about this 2nd sub and got one response a few weeks back asking about was it on a power strip or shared circuit. Informed that it was on a strip with a few other devices (not the TV or receiver) and that I have put both this sub and the prior on a circuit with no other AV equipment, or much else for that matter, and it has again happened.

One thing I should have done sooner was take a clip of the sound. I took this with my phone and sent to him as well last week. In-person the sound has more flutter or dynamic to it than the audio recording seems to have caught but it gives an idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16bz...tQd2e6pkA/view

Could I have just gotten a 2nd defective one? I think I saw someone here say they had parts now.... maybe I can just get a new amp for it sent if so.
Probably something at your house..

I don't have this sub and this is just a guess, you can try shorting XLR pin 1 to 3. (I know you are not using RCA)
This will ground the audio signal ground and may get rid of any noises that appear intermittently, and sounds intermittently

You can also try a ground lift adapter to see if it occurs with the adapter.
post #1361 of 1748 Old 12-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
Probably something at your house..

I don't have this sub and this is just a guess, you can try shorting XLR pin 1 to 3. (I know you are not using RCA)
This will ground the audio signal ground and may get rid of any noises that appear intermittently, and sounds intermittently

You can also try a ground lift adapter to see if it occurs with the adapter.
I am using a Monoprice Onix subwoofer RCA cable to connect this sub to my Marantz SR7010. Is this a problem? I previously had my two Pinnacle subs plugged to this same receiver the same way with no issue
post #1362 of 1748 Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I am using a Monoprice Onix subwoofer RCA cable to connect this sub to my Marantz SR7010. Is this a problem? I previously had my two Pinnacle subs plugged to this same receiver the same way with no issue
Don't think so, I think you said it even happen without RCA cable plugged in?
post #1363 of 1748 Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
Don't think so, I think you said it even happen without RCA cable plugged in?
Ah sorry for the confusion. What I meant is if the sound is happening if I pull the RCA to stop feeding signal to the sub the sound will continue.
post #1364 of 1748 Old 12-13-2019, 07:31 PM

So I received two monolith 10” subs today and yesterday. Both have mold on the grills. One of them quite bad. I just unpacked and will of course contact Monoprice but has anyone seen this before? It’s kind of gross.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F1128B9-C0F4-4EDB-957F-1144881E10AE_1576294209192.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	2653692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB67EEA9-27A7-4B03-BE19-A127792DF951_1576294225185.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	2653694   Click image for larger version

Name:	407656AF-BDE6-4398-91CA-C7B41CCBDFAD_1576294279245.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2653698   Click image for larger version

Name:	29841F31-F450-4C57-BEC4-25C24782275C_1576294292002.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	2653700  
post #1365 of 1748 Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtscode View Post
So I received two monolith 10” subs today and yesterday. Both have mold on the grills. One of them quite bad. I just unpacked and will of course contact Monoprice but has anyone seen this before? It’s kind of gross.
woah! That's not just kind of gross...that's fully fledged GROSS! I would be contacting them immediately and asking for replacements to be sent out ASAP

Are the rest of the subs ok? No signs of water damage/moisture?
JimWilson likes this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic 65" P65ST60 AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Seaton SubMersives x 3
post #1366 of 1748 Old 12-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
woah! That's not just kind of gross...that's fully fledged GROSS! I would be contacting them immediately and asking for replacements to be sent out ASAP

+1

What you see is bad, what you don't see is likely worse. Were they mine I would ask for replacements.
residentsystems likes this.

post #1367 of 1748 Old 12-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Ah sorry for the confusion. What I meant is if the sound is happening if I pull the RCA to stop feeding signal to the sub the sound will continue.
Sounds like a grounding issue. I could be wrong but that is my guess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #1368 of 1748 Old 12-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtscode View Post
So I received two monolith 10” subs today and yesterday. Both have mold on the grills. One of them quite bad. I just unpacked and will of course contact Monoprice but has anyone seen this before? It’️s kind of gross.

No other signs of water damage or mold but I am obviously nervous having just spent $1,000 on subwoofers. I’ll talk to Monoprice on Monday and look forward to their thoughts.
post #1369 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just received my new Monolith 15 ported Subwoofer today from Amazon.
I tried setting up through Audyssey on my Denon x4300. It’s not recognizing the Subwoofer and calibration shows in the 50’s
And I tried raising the level to the highest level and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1370 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post
I tried setting up through Audyssey on my Denon x4300. It’s not recognizing the Subwoofer and calibration shows in the 50’s
And I tried raising the level to the highest level and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is the power light flashing red and green? I had a similar issue and had to RMA the subwoofer.
post #1371 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Is the power light flashing red and green? I had a similar issue and had to RMA the subwoofer.
Yes, it was flashing Red and Green and finally went green.
Do I return through Amazon? By boxes are all ripped up.
Thanks,

Bob
post #1372 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it was flashing Red and Green and finally went green.
Do I return through Amazon? By boxes are all ripped up.
Thanks,

Bob
Not sure. I bought from monoprice so had to RMA through them, but you have options it seems.
post #1373 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Use a Y-splitter to connect to both RCA ins and turn up the gain on the sub to the 3 o'clock position. These subs thrive with high gain. Mine flashed red and green initially but it's working perfectly.

Edit. Just realized your gain was already maxed (if that's what you mean by "raising the level to the highest level"). Try another cable also. If yours still isn't working after trying another cable and Y-splitter (and also trying the other LFE out on the Denon) then sounds like an amp issue.

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 12-15-2019 at 07:41 PM.
post #1374 of 1748 Old 12-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Use a Y-splitter to connect to both RCA ins and turn up the gain on the sub to the 3 o'clock position. These subs thrive with high gain. Mine flashed red and green initially but it's working perfectly.

Edit. Just realized your gain was already maxed (if that's what you mean by "raising the level to the highest level"). Try another cable also. If yours still isn't working after trying another cable and Y-splitter (and also trying the other LFE out on the Denon) then sounds like an amp issue.
Thanks for your help. I will try the Y-Splitter
post #1375 of 1748 Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Tried the Y adapter and new cable but still no output. The power light now is solid green. Any additional suggestions to try?
post #1376 of 1748 Old 12-17-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No suggestions other than to return the sub, it's faulty.
post #1377 of 1748 Old 12-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Shame reading another getting a bad sub from Monoprice. They have to sort this out. It's stopping me from grabbing a second sub. Because if it died like the first one I bought, I'll want to sell my current one and go to a different brand. Fix your issue.
post #1378 of 1748 Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yeah I’m not getting great service on my issue. (Moldy Grills) I am thinking of cutting my losses and looking for something else.
post #1379 of 1748 Old 12-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have recently narrowed my new sub choices down to 2, now maybe only one. I really like the idea of the monolith, but it is a lot of money (2 M15's) and I should not have to wonder if they will work and/or be covered without resistance. I'm sure Rythmik approves this message, they are my first choice.
muscles likes this.
post #1380 of 1748 Old 12-18-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by residentsystems View Post
Yeah I’m not getting great service on my issue. (Moldy Grills) I am thinking of cutting my losses and looking for something else.
This is disappointing to hear. Mold on a product fresh out of the box should be a no brainer from a customer service perspective. Please keep us updated. If they don’t take care of you I will have to stop recommending Monolith to friends.
355F1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
bestsubs , better than psa , monolith 12" thx ultra 500w sub , monolith 15" thx ultra 1000w sub , psa sucks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page