Official Monoprice THX Subwoofers - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 656Likes

post #1651 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey fellas,

been playing around with the subwoofer reading the calibration thread, but today I just realized that the sound I have been hearing was the monolith 15. I have been hearing a pop sound.

figured out it was coming from the monolith when it comes out of standby.
This point to a defective sub??

i previously thought it was my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
hey fellas,

been playing around with the subwoofer reading the calibration thread, but today I just realized that the sound I have been hearing was the monolith 15. I have been hearing a pop sound.

Both of my mono 15's make a soft popping noise when turning on and have since day one. Hasn't been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #1653 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
Both of my mono 15's make a soft popping noise when turning on and have since day one. Hasn't been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

interesting, thanks for letting me know. Still working on trying to get this thing to sound right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
hey fellas,

Just sent a monolith 12 back for this same reason. Mine would pop then green and red Ied would flash and not work

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #1655 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Replacement came today.... Hope this one holds up #3 . The first one is still going strong of the duals.

355F1 likes this.
post #1656 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Just sent a monolith 12 back for this same reason. Mine would pop then green and red Ied would flash and not work

my sealed 15 had the red and green light flashing issue. I returned that one.
This new one is a ported 15. It doesn’t have the light issue but pops when waking up. The problem is though it’s very quiet.

Another poster said his monolith’s pop too. But he seems to think that this of fine.

I’m not really sure what to think now...

I guess I’ll contact support.

post #1657 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5034 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
interesting, thanks for letting me know. Still working on trying to get this thing to sound right.

Mine does too. It's when the amp relay turns on. It's not as "soft start" as one would hope for the amp, but it doesn't seem very loud.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #1658 of 1753 Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Good luck to those experiencing issues. I hope they get resolved. Having experienced some QA issues of my own with my original elemental designs subwoofer amp, I feel the pain. Many of the ID companies back then (around 2008) had their issues though.

I have a replacement plate amp (YUNG SD500) in my eD A5-350 and it pops a bit on shut down, not start up. I chalk it up to cheapness. My Rythmik sub amp doesn't have such issues, neither did my PSA sub.

Also, what's up with the Tags on this thread? So silly. Should be cleaned up.

Klipsch RP-8000F L/R | Klipsch RP-504C C | Klipsch RP-500SA atmos | elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM surrounds | Rythmik FV18 Rev2 Paper Cone Black Matte + Elemental Designs A5-350 Restored! | Denon AVR-S920W | Vizio P75-C1
post #1659 of 1753 Old 04-13-2020, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bad crossover in receiver or sub issue?

Hi all,
I could use some help with my new monoprice M15-s subwoofers. I've got an onkyo TX-RZ830 receiver, and i'm using Polk LSIM speakers (707/706c up front, and 702 surrounds). I'm noticing a distinct lack of bass when I listen in stereo (2.1) mode on my receiver. Last night I listened to a bunch of different songs on pandora and switched between DIRECT mode (pure 2.0 channel) and STEREO (2.1 where the crossover and subs kick in). The bass was much stronger using the DIRECT mode without the subs. I suspect an issue with my bass management or crossover setup in my receiver. If you all agree, then I'll go poke on the onkyo thread.

Setup:
-Each sub is connected with a single RCA cable (receiver has dual sub outputs). I'm not using a Y-splitter to feed both left and right channels
-Both subs are setup the same: Crossover Max at 160hz, Phase Min at 0 deg, Level THX Ref. Crossover toggle off, EQ toggle extended, Power toggle auto
-Receiver has the crossover points on the front left/right set to 80hz (THX). The accuEQ wanted to set them to full, but I intentionally changed it back to 80hz to allow the subs to be more active
-Subwoofer level was set to -5.0db by the AccuEQ, but I adjusted it up +3db to -2.0 db
-nVidia shield (2019) was the streaming device I was using for these music tests (pandora app)

Observation:
-To get a similar level of bass in STEREO (2.1) mode as I get from DIRECT (pure 2.0 mode) I have to:
A.) Increase the subwoofer level in the receiver to +8.0db (keeping the level on the subs set to THX REF)
B.) Increase the level on the subs to around +8-12db (while keeping the subwoofer level on the receiver at -2.0 db)

Whats really odd to me, is that when watching 4K blurays, or streaming something with 5.1 (dedicated .1 channel), I don't notice this lack of bass. In fact these subs really kick butt and are shaking the hell out of everything in my room during movies. I've also taken a bunch of REW measurements with the sub connected directly to my HTPC (not going thru receiver at all) and get reasonable curves.

Because of all of the above, I believe the subs themselves are in fact working properly (plus I have 2, what would be the odds of getting 2 bad ones). And I think that there is something wrong with my onkyo receiver or my settings with regard to crossover. I've seen numerous posts in this thread about folks thinking they have "low output" from their monoprice subs, thats the only reason why I question if there still could be something wrong with the subs... (altho those cases are usually folks with yamaha receivers).

If it helps, I do have an old Polk PSW505 sub around somewhere I could hook up instead and do the same music test. I also have an older onkyo non-4k receiver (HT-RC270) I could try to hook up. I was trying to avoid rewiring and swapping out gear, but if thats what it takes I'm open to all troubleshooting suggestions! Thanks for everyones help in advance.

System: LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Monoprice Monolith 7x200
Speakers: 7.2 config: Polk 2xLSIM707, LSIM706c, 2xLSIM702f/x, 2xLSIM703, 2xMonoprice M15-S
Devices: Nvidia Shield TV 2019, Microsoft Xbox One X, LG UBK90 UHD, Win7 MediaCenter HTPC, HD Homerun Prime Network Tuner
post #1660 of 1753 Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Hey fellas,

so after reading the subwoofer calibration thread.

I have moved the subwoofer a total of 2 feet diagonally. And now i can set the gain to 1 o clock and subwoofer trim at -5.5 and get really strong bass first impressions last night.

But it seems that placement was my issue.

I haven’t been able to turn it up yet. So i’ll have to do some more testing.

post #1661 of 1753 Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Well here’s a funny one. I’ve had everything installed for several years now. Last week we started noticing the center channel would randomly cut in and out. Sometimes not at all. It was very random..

I thought either I was having an issue with my Denon receiver or the Emotiva XPA3 amp that drives my mains.
This weekend I checked all my connections to my receiver and amp, did a factory reset on the receiver and reran Audyssey.

Watched about 30 minutes of Disney+ with my daughter and zero issues. Sounded better than ever.

Whole family came down for a movie night last night and about 1/3rd of the way in, center randomly cuts in and out. WTF! So I paused the movie and again checked all my cables between the receiver and amp. Looks great.

One of my Monlith 15 subs is behind my false wall/AT sceeen and is sideways with the front firing into the side of my center channel..

Umm..I guess after 2+ years all the bass shook the binding post of my JBL590 loose and the speaker wire was hanging on for dear life!

WTF! That explains it. Tightened it down and used a banana clip and no more issue.

Thought is was funny. My Denon receiver is three years old and I thought it was dying..
SuperFist likes this.
post #1662 of 1753 Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6729 Post(s)
Liked: 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Umm..I guess after 2+ years all the bass shook the binding post of my JBL590 loose and the speaker wire was hanging on for dear life!

WTF! That explains it. Tightened it down and used a banana clip and no more issue.

Thought is was funny.
Yes, you had no bananas; you had no bananas in play. . .

ack_bk and SuperFist like this.
post #1663 of 1753 Old 04-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just received the Yamaha 3080 receiver today replacement of Denon x4300
Can't seem to figure out dialing in subs
One sub is - 10. Both monolith 15 ported is - 5
Cannot figure out how to match. The Denon was on 1:00 position but with 3080 its almost maxed out on gain
Any help will be appreciated
I know Audessey is better but never used YPAO
post #1664 of 1753 Old 04-15-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post
Just received the Yamaha 3080 receiver today replacement of Denon x4300
Can't seem to figure out dialing in subs
One sub is - 10. Both monolith 15 ported is - 5
Cannot figure out how to match. The Denon was on 1:00 position but with 3080 its almost maxed out on gain
Any help will be appreciated
I know Audessey is better but never used YPAO

I don't believe YPAO can handle separate dual subs. You will have to manually level match them and align them (if they have analog phase knobs). Then run YPAO.

Otherwise you will need a miniDSP to properly align your dual subs.

EDIT: basshead corrected me. Since YPAO tunes subs separately it should already level match them for you.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H

Last edited by badtlc; 04-18-2020 at 08:04 AM.
post #1665 of 1753 Old 04-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
I don't believe YPAO can handle separate dual subs. You will have to manually level match them and align them (if they have analog phase knobs). Then run YPAO.

Thanks, will give that a try
post #1666 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, will give that a try
Best I could do after numerous tries was to dial in both subs at - 6
Could not get both to the preferred - 10

The gain on both subs are almost maxed out
post #1667 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Aligning two subs, "A" and "B", can be done manually.

Connect one only, "A", and do a YPAO run. Record the reported distance. Now connect "B" and record its distance. It is not critical that the two are exactly the same however by altering the physical distance by moving the sub "B" closer or further away from the listener, or by rotating the phase knob on the back of the sub until the YPAO reported distance is less than 90 degrees different (3.5ft for 80Hz), you can achieve an adequate match.

Ideally level matching so that YPAO selects the same subwoofer output level, within say 2dB, can be achieved with the sub's own rotary level knob, again leaving sub "A" as the master and then tweaking "B" until it is close.

Now once the two are reasonably time aligned and level matched you then connect both, using the dual sub out ports or a Y-cable, and do the final YPAO adjustment for the two working in unison. Now that the room is being excited by two aligned subs the expected result is that YPAO will dial down the AVR's sub out level by 3 to 6 dB, so anticipate this during the initial runs.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
post #1668 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 AM

Phase alignment of just "under 90 degrees" would be inadequate for main speakers but subs are a totally different story due to the huge wave lengths of deep bass frequencies and the nature of our hearing and how it finds monophonic subs perfectly acceptable. This is why they invented 5.1 sound rather than 5.2.

The reason we phase align is so the subs compliment each other rather than fight each other to achieve maximum total output. Don't believe the lies "we hear stereo in deep bass". We don't: it is an auditory illusion based on the simultaneous high frequency content we are keying on. Our brain doesn't like that direction perception is lost so it assigns a direction based on what it can directionalize: the simultaneous highs from that musical instrument such as the pluck sound of an upright bass.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-16-2020 at 09:42 AM.
post #1669 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 03:27 PM

quick question i forgot to mention that I am using nothing inputs.

The way i did this was to use a y splitter at the receiver which plugs into 1 of the subwoofer outputs, then has 2 female rca connections , then i plug a red and white cable into this splitter and connect the other end to both subwoofer inputs.

My question is should I be using both subwoofer out puts on the receiver to take advantage of the y splitter?

post #1670 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5034 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
quick question i forgot to mention that I am using nothing inputs.

The way i did this was to use a y splitter at the receiver which plugs into 1 of the subwoofer outputs, then has 2 female rca connections , then i plug a red and white cable into this splitter and connect the other end to both subwoofer inputs.

My question is should I be using both subwoofer out puts on the receiver to take advantage of the y splitter?

No. You only use the Subwoofer 2 output of the receiver for a completely separate subwoofer. The receiver's calibration software then calibrates for 2 subs if you have the menus set up correctly and actually have 2 subwoofers.
darthray likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #1671 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Aligning two subs, "A" and "B", can be done manually.

Connect one only, "A", and do a YPAO run. Record the reported distance. Now connect "B" and record its distance. It is not critical that the two are exactly the same however by altering the physical distance by moving the sub "B" closer or further away from the listener, or by rotating the phase knob on the back of the sub until the YPAO reported distance is less than 90 degrees different (3.5ft for 80Hz), you can achieve an adequate match.

Ideally level matching so that YPAO selects the same subwoofer output level, within say 2dB, can be achieved with the sub's own rotary level knob, again leaving sub "A" as the master and then tweaking "B" until it is close.

Now once the two are reasonably time aligned and level matched you then connect both, using the dual sub out ports or a Y-cable, and do the final YPAO adjustment for the two working in unison. Now that the room is being excited by two aligned subs the expected result is that YPAO will dial down the AVR's sub out level by 3 to 6 dB, so anticipate this during the initial runs.
Thanks for your helpful info. Unfortunately my space is limited on placement. See picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_161254_1_1587086385051.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2711102  
post #1672 of 1753 Old 04-16-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your helpful info. Unfortunately my space is limited on placement. See picture
Well if the two identical subs are symmetrically placed it should (fingers crossed) result in the same distance reading (phase) so you should have that covered at least. Level may be different though.
post #1673 of 1753 Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This topic come up in another thread, surely someone in here knows the answer. What is Monoprice's return policy for the monolith subs? I know they will give a full refund within 30 days or whatever but who pays for the return shipping? The website isn't very clear and best I can tell the buyer is on the hook for return shipping unless the item is defective. Is that correct or will monoprice cover return shipping?

post #1674 of 1753 Old 04-17-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked: 5583
Quote:
This topic come up in another thread, surely someone in here knows the answer. What is Monoprice's return policy for the monolith subs? I know they will give a full refund within 30 days or whatever but who pays for the return shipping? The website isn't very clear and best I can tell the buyer is on the hook for return shipping unless the item is defective. Is that correct or will monoprice cover return shipping?
As far as I know, SVS is the only ID company that will eat the return shipping cost.

I found the following:

Return Shipping Labels
Monoprice is not responsible for the return shipping of your order. Your return request may require you to return the item(s) at your own expense.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
post #1675 of 1753 Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
As far as I know, SVS is the only ID company that will eat the return shipping cost.

I found the following:

Return Shipping Labels
Monoprice is not responsible for the return shipping of your order. Your return request may require you to return the item(s) at your own expense.

That is what I thought, too. Thanks for responding.

post #1676 of 1753 Old 04-18-2020, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked: 5466
Quote:
Can't see the rest of your space. What about the entire rest of the room? No where else in the entire room to put a sub if needed?

Front stage placement *might* be ok, but its easy to check. Grab a Umik-1 mic and download REW. Then you will see if you are getting all the benefit of a good pair of subs(smooth, accurate low frequency response). Dual subs placed as close together as you have them will act as a single sub in terms of frequency response. All you get is extra output but no FR improvement vs a single sub.
post #1677 of 1753 Old 04-18-2020, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Quote:
Can't see the rest of your space. What about the entire rest of the room? No where else in the entire room to put a sub if needed?

Front stage placement *might* be ok, but its easy to check. Grab a Umik-1 mic and download REW. Then you will see if you are getting all the benefit of a good pair of subs(smooth, accurate low frequency response). Dual subs placed as close together as you have them will act as a single sub in terms of frequency response. All you get is extra output but no FR improvement vs a single sub.
Unfortunately my bedroom is a converted attic and the room is large but irregular.
The walls are slanted. See pictures.
(excuse the mess)

Name:	IMG_20200418_083216_1587213346305.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2711906Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_083216_1587213346305.jpg
Views:	55
ID:	2711906
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200418_083234_1587213375791.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2711908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_083225_1587213385649.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2711910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_083216_1587213400166.jpg
Views:	52
ID:	2711912  
post #1678 of 1753 Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

The only other option may be this location but the sub too big and will be blocking access near window. See picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200418_091330_1587215723323.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2711924  
post #1679 of 1753 Old 04-18-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
...No where else in the entire room to put a sub if needed?...
My preferred placement is as bad1550's and I actually don't WANT to put the subs anywhere different. So I hope they work there, for me and for bad1550!
post #1680 of 1753 Old 04-18-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
My preferred placement is as bad1550's and I actually don't WANT to put the subs anywhere different. So I hope they work there, for me and for bad1550!
For me, I wasn't really very concerned about placing subs symmetrically on the front stage for looks. So I just put them where they are out of the way and perform the best. Just as well prefer them out of sight. If I wasn't willing or able to place dual subs properly, I'd probably just get a single more capable sub, but sometimes its harder to fit a larger sub. I also wouldn't bother with dual subs without measuring, since there might not be an advantage for all the money spent.

However, this is simply personal preference and doesn't make it any more "right" than prioritizing aesthetics.
d-rail34 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-18-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
bestsubs , better than psa , monolith 12" thx ultra 500w sub , monolith 15" thx ultra 1000w sub , psa sucks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page