Paradigm SUB 2 vs 2x SVS PB 16 Ultra vs ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 11-23-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Performance comparisons aside for a second...

Those JTR subs mentioned above are huge! Great for a large dedicated theater room, but not so great for a common living area. I love the Funk Audio subs though! That’s the route I’d go if I could afford them.....or maybe Seaton’s F18 stacks. Loved Mark’s products since owning a Submersive HP some years back.

The Sub 2 is still very impressive to me given its size. It’s in the same ballpark pricing wise with the Funk Audio subs after you factor in discounted prices.
Todeseng3l likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3375
There's no doubt if he ends up with the Paradigm he will have an excellent subwoofer. If it's what he really wants, he should get it.
Todeseng3l likes this.

Spoiler!
post #33 of 84 Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Hey all,

Figured I would post an update to the thread if anyone wanted to follow me on my journey. I purchased the Sub 2 and ended up calibrating it on 12/2. To my dismay the full-gain calibrated output using the built in PBK was ~60dB. To get decent output with content I had to use BOTH of the sub outs on my AVR and feed them into the sub at +10dB each. Obviously something is awry here with the sub amplifier and my authorized Paradigm dealer agreed.

Every week since I have been promised a replacement sub would be on its way, "tracking information just a few days out". Today (+21 days) I told them that I am done, I want a full refund and I am never doing business with Paradigm again. The dealer made one last pitch "Are you sure that you want to buy an inferior product out of the box and it will not have PBK room correction? I can still get a replacement sub to you before the end of the week." before conceding and agreeing to the refund.

And so it continues!

I am throwing out my dimensional requirements length wise, so what if it protrudes a bit in front of my mains? haha. The width restriction (27") is still very important as I have a door right next to the sub that requires access.

The next subs on my short list are the PSA S7201 and the JTR CAP ULF 4000. The PSA S7201 has a 60 day in-home trial where I just have to pay return shipping. Does anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two?

Thanks,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	862.5 KB
ID:	2332986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub 2 Full Gain.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2332988  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
The next subs on my short list are the PSA S7201 and the JTR CAP ULF 4000. The PSA S7201 has a 60 day in-home trial where I just have to pay return shipping. Does anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two?
Both should be big, awesome, freaks of nature. Exciting.
oneeyeblind and Todeseng3l like this.
post #35 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I am throwing out my dimensional requirements length wise, so what if it protrudes a bit in front of my mains? haha. The width restriction (27") is still very important as I have a door right next to the sub that requires access.
User @serith bought dual Rythmik FV25HP units and is super happy over in the Rythmik thread too. Not quite the beasts that those other units may be, but a pair of them would only be 5k which is still less than your Paradigm must have been. Don't recall if you had said duals were not an option earlier in this thread.
Todeseng3l likes this.
post #36 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 800
for what it's worth my father has a pair of paradigm s8's in his setup, and he fell in love with the rythmik fv15hp's i had. he has told me that they're the only ported sub he has ever heard that sounds sealed (he runs 8 sealed diy 15 & 18" subs in his setup). he was actually upset when i sold my 15's because i was considering other sub manufacturers. my dedicated room is not exactly large, but it's not tiny either (~1700 cubic sq ft). i considered psa, jtr & rythmik (all of their highest offerings). at the end of the day i stayed with rythmik and couldn't be happier. i also got a great deal on the pair of fv25's which made the decision that much easier.
Todeseng3l and jjackkrash like this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #37 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth View Post
User @serith bought dual Rythmik FV25HP units and is super happy over in the Rythmik thread too. Not quite the beasts that those other units may be, but a pair of them would only be 5k which is still less than your Paradigm must have been. Don't recall if you had said duals were not an option earlier in this thread.
Duals are an option, I would plan on buying 2x S2701 or 2x ULF 4000 if I went that route. It seems that dual FV25s would be inferior to either, correct?

My only hesitation on the S2701 is that the drivers only have a 2" peak to peak excursion. It seems that the quality of the driver is not on par with the JTR ULF 4000 which has 4" peak to peak.
post #38 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Duals are an option, I would plan on buying 2x S2701 or 2x ULF 4000 if I went that route. It seems that dual FV25s would be inferior to either, correct?

My only hesitation on the S2701 is that the drivers only have a 2" peak to peak excursion. It seems that the quality of the driver is not on par with the JTR ULF 4000 which has 4" peak to peak.
Just got done speaking with Tom V from PSA and was sold on the S2701 based on the customer service alone. He answered my question on peak-to-peak excursion and said it was related to his design goals. Really amazing that you can open a web chat on demand with him. There will be 2x S7201s at my door in 2-4 weeks. Can't wait to try them out! Will post pictures/impressions when they come
post #39 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Todeseng3l

Did you give Jeff a call? With a sizable purchase like that I would talk to both companies and gather all the info before making a decision.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #40 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Just got done speaking with Tom V from PSA and was sold on the S2701 based on the customer service alone. He answered my question on peak-to-peak excursion and said it was related to his design goals. Really amazing that you can open a web chat on demand with him. There will be 2x S7201s at my door in 2-4 weeks. Can't wait to try them out! Will post pictures/impressions when they come
I was going to go along with some others that had recommended the Deep Sea Sounds Mariana. Because of the size restrictions I didnt even think about the S72's being able to fit! I own 2 PSA S3601's and enjoy them very much and could only imagine what 2X 7201's would be like! Whether the 7201's are the best looking , sounding , room correction etc etc , I wont get into , but I will say the PSA customer service is hard to beat. There are other good ones out there too , but in regards as to what you just dealt with your dealer , you should be well taken care of! Looking forward to your impressions and drop in the Power Sound Audio Subwoofer thread , you may be the first 2X 7201 owner on AVS we know of!!
post #41 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Todeseng3l

Did you give Jeff a call? With a sizable purchase like that I would talk to both companies and gather all the info before making a decision.
I've spoken with Jeff in the past (and also Dave from DSS), but not with regard to this purchase. I thought the configuration of the 7201 was unique and all else equal who wouldn't want to brag about having EIGHT 18" subs in their HT!? I have nothing to lose except return shipping with the 60 day trial which seems like a fair deal to me and speaks volumes to the confidence of PSA in their products.
oneeyeblind, iceatola and Jsnow17 like this.
post #42 of 84 Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:

it's hard for me to think of the fv25's as inferior when thinking of subwoofers, but in the case of comparing them to the highest psa & jtr offerings i don't think they're trying to compete on the same stage. i ultimately went with rythmik because i love the way they sound and my room is only 1700 cubic sq ft (not sure how large your space is). if i had a much larger space i probably would have went with dual cap 4000s. also, peak to peak excursion is not the only measuring stick for subwoofers as i'm sure you know. that's up there with svs using a 8" voice coil for their 16" ported sub. there is no free lunch with any design, always trade off's.

i saw you ended up going with psa. huge congrats! i am about to pull the trigger on their mtm 210t speakers myself, very excited. every interaction i've had with tom has been first class.
Todeseng3l, jjackkrash and sk373 like this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #43 of 84 Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Whoa! Going big right out of the gate. Congrats on the subs man. You' are the first dual S7201 I know of. We'll be hanging out with baited breath waiting for your impressions.

What kind of placement options do you have? Do you happen to have any diagrams or pics of the room you're putting these two beasts in?

The good thing is that Tom is always ready and willing to help you work through setup and optimization. He's got a lot of knowledge swimming around in that brain of his.
oneeyeblind, Todeseng3l and sk373 like this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #44 of 84 Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Oh man...sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Paradigm. That is indeed unacceptable customer service.

Hoping you have better luck with the PSA’s. Enjoy!

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #45 of 84 Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Whoa! Going big right out of the gate. Congrats on the subs man. You' are the first dual S7201 I know of. We'll be hanging out with baited breath waiting for your impressions.

What kind of placement options do you have? Do you happen to have any diagrams or pics of the room you're putting these two beasts in?

The good thing is that Tom is always ready and willing to help you work through setup and optimization. He's got a lot of knowledge swimming around in that brain of his.
You know how they say it is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission? Well that worked out in my favor hahaha, especially going from the Sub 2 to the [two] S7201. I own my house but my girlfriend lives with me and it is technically "her space too". I originally was going to put it along the 7ft wall that separating the foyer from the kitchen, however, to my surprise my girlfriend suggested putting the second one along the wall behind the dining room table! Please see the attached updated diagram.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sub Placement.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2334028  
oneeyeblind, climber07 and sk373 like this.
post #46 of 84 Old 03-10-2018, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by todeseng3l View Post
there will be 2x s7201s at my door in 2-4 weeks. Can't wait to try them out! Will post pictures/impressions when they come
are they here are they here are they here ?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
335 UHD and counting...
post #47 of 84 Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
are they here are they here are they here ?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Sorry for disappearing, life tends gets in the way haha I have had 7201s for a little over two months now. I was disappointing when I first plugged the subs in and was greeted by an obnoxious hum. None of my other components, including sensitive speakers like Klipsch RF-7ii, suffer from hum in my house. Tom from PSA was quick to come to my aid though and sent me isolation transformers (as well as a PSA mug) free of charge. This took care of the issue and I have had no complaints since.

The first month was largely spent fine tuning their integration to realize the smoothest FR possible. I got them flat down to about 10.5Hz. The benefit of the second sub is substantial affording +6dB gain in the 10-20Hz region and aiding the 40-80Hz regime where the first sub struggles.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, I have a very large open concept home. The foyer open up to the living room which both have 14ft vaulted ceilings. The living room opens up to the dining room and kitchen with 9ft ceilings. That is a lot of open space to fill with bass.

Through my evaluation I have gained a ton of respect for what Paradigm was able to achieve in the Sub 2 (despite my negative experience). To get that kind of performance in a form factor so small is nothing short of amazing. In my listening room, cost aside, I would take a single Sub 2 over a single S7201. The Sub 2 sounded marginally better. Factoring in cost it is a no-brainer though, the S7201 is priced over half less than a Sub 2. I take it the Sub 2 premium comes from cramming S7201 performance in a package 1/4 the size, really amazing.

Running through the gamut of tests with both S7201 active struck fear into my soul that my windows were going to break. I could see them flexing as I felt my feet dancing on the floor unintentionally as they rest there when I sat on the couch in awe. I sampled EOT intro scene, Black Hawk Down F' Irene scene and World War Z grenade scene at '40/100' volume on my receiver. For reference the calibration measurements were taken with the receiver at '50/100 volume'. The bass is very clean, authoritative and had no bloat.

I have only watched Dunkirk and Tron since purchasing the S7201 (again life happens), but they performed admirably in both. Tron was particularly a treat. The day after watching it I questioned my girlfriend if she was messing around with my scotch/bourbon collection. The bottles in the pantry had chaotically re-arranged themselves, some close to taking a jump off the edge of their shelf. I then put two and two together (literally), the S7201s were the culprit.

I am holding off on delivering a final verdict until I can work through more source material, in the interim I am satisfied with their performance

Cheers,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-0187.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	871.7 KB
ID:	2373790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0521.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	883.0 KB
ID:	2373792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0519.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	767.9 KB
ID:	2373794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0520.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	789.4 KB
ID:	2373796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub 1, Sub 2 and Combined Response (no correction).jpg
Views:	638
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2373798  

Name:	With & Without Dirac Label.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2373800  

Last edited by Todeseng3l; 03-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.
post #48 of 84 Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Thank you so much for the update! I feel ya on "life happening," so soak in your news toys at your leisure. Would love to hear your final impressions when the time comes.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
335 UHD and counting...
post #49 of 84 Old 04-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know it's too late now, but I believe the SUB2 requires a 240V plug to make the most of its amplifier, otherwise its power output is similar to that of the SUB1.
post #50 of 84 Old 05-04-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Sorry for disappearing, life tends gets in the way haha I have had 7201s for a little over two months now. I was disappointing when I first plugged the subs in and was greeted by an obnoxious hum. None of my other components, including sensitive speakers like Klipsch RF-7ii, suffer from hum in my house. Tom from PSA was quick to come to my aid though and sent me isolation transformers (as well as a PSA mug) free of charge. This took care of the issue and I have had no complaints since.

The first month was largely spent fine tuning their integration to realize the smoothest FR possible. I got them flat down to about 10.5Hz. The benefit of the second sub is substantial affording +6dB gain in the 10-20Hz region and aiding the 40-80Hz regime where the first sub struggles.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, I have a very large open concept home. The foyer open up to the living room which both have 14ft vaulted ceilings. The living room opens up to the dining room and kitchen with 9ft ceilings. That is a lot of open space to fill with bass.

Through my evaluation I have gained a ton of respect for what Paradigm was able to achieve in the Sub 2 (despite my negative experience). To get that kind of performance in a form factor so small is nothing short of amazing. In my listening room, cost aside, I would take a single Sub 2 over a single S7201. The Sub 2 sounded marginally better. Factoring in cost it is a no-brainer though, the S7201 is priced over half less than a Sub 2. I take it the Sub 2 premium comes from cramming S7201 performance in a package 1/4 the size, really amazing.

Running through the gamut of tests with both S7201 active struck fear into my soul that my windows were going to break. I could see them flexing as I felt my feet dancing on the floor unintentionally as they rest there when I sat on the couch in awe. I sampled EOT intro scene, Black Hawk Down F' Irene scene and World War Z grenade scene at '40/100' volume on my receiver. For reference the calibration measurements were taken with the receiver at '50/100 volume'. The bass is very clean, authoritative and had no bloat.

I have only watched Dunkirk and Tron since purchasing the S7201 (again life happens), but they performed admirably in both. Tron was particularly a treat. The day after watching it I questioned my girlfriend if she was messing around with my scotch/bourbon collection. The bottles in the pantry had chaotically re-arranged themselves, some close to taking a jump off the edge of their shelf. I then put two and two together (literally), the S7201s were the culprit.

I am holding off on delivering a final verdict until I can work through more source material, in the interim I am satisfied with their performance

Cheers,

Tony
Great follow up.

Sounds like the smaller footprint of the sub 2 is a great fit for many homes. Integration can be very important.

Bryston SP3
Bryston BDP-2, BOT-1
Bryston 14B SST, 6B SST
B&W 802N's, HTM1
Paradigm Sub 2
Paradigm ADP 470 v3

Last edited by HDVidGuy; 05-04-2018 at 05:48 PM.
post #51 of 84 Old 05-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I know this is late but I have a Sub 2 which I got for ~40% off back in 2011 or 2012. I can't remember. I have no issues with it. My room is oopen but I can't say my dimensions are the same as your. I am using a single 110v outlet and it hammers for the modest volume I listen. I would buy a second one if I could get the same discount and if I didn't now have kids. I would also like to play with other brands but with the kids I'm screwed.

My one issue with Paradigm was when I purchased 2 new Sig ADP3s and one of the mids had a problem. My dealer ordered a new one right away but Paradigm wanted to repair it. My dealer went to bat with them stating that new speaker shouldn't need to be repaired and I got my new one and haven't had a problem since. Now, to be honest I don't get to use my system anymore. Sad sad me!
post #52 of 84 Old 05-11-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Definitely consider dual Monolith 15 THX subs. 🙂

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #53 of 84 Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
I know this is late but I have a Sub 2 which I got for ~40% off back in 2011 or 2012. I can't remember. I have no issues with it. My room is oopen but I can't say my dimensions are the same as your. I am using a single 110v outlet and it hammers for the modest volume I listen. I would buy a second one if I could get the same discount and if I didn't now have kids. I would also like to play with other brands but with the kids I'm screwed.

My one issue with Paradigm was when I purchased 2 new Sig ADP3s and one of the mids had a problem. My dealer ordered a new one right away but Paradigm wanted to repair it. My dealer went to bat with them stating that new speaker shouldn't need to be repaired and I got my new one and haven't had a problem since. Now, to be honest I don't get to use my system anymore. Sad sad me!
I had mine running on 110v for about six months. I had 220v piped in. Whole new ball game! It’s much more powerful and slams much harder. I have mine in a large open room in my house. 16x20 and 18’ ceiling. Room is open to large kitchen and into main hallway, dining room then living room. In total about 2100 square feet of space. I cannot comment on having two subs, but can say there is no lacking of low end slam and extension.

Bryston SP3
Bryston BDP-2, BOT-1
Bryston 14B SST, 6B SST
B&W 802N's, HTM1
Paradigm Sub 2
Paradigm ADP 470 v3
post #54 of 84 Old 05-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy View Post
I had mine running on 110v for about six months. I had 220v piped in. Whole new ball game! It’s much more powerful and slams much harder. I have mine in a large open room in my house. 16x20 and 18’ ceiling. Room is open to large kitchen and into main hallway, dining room then living room. In total about 2100 square feet of space. I cannot comment on having two subs, but can say there is no lacking of low end slam and extension.
Yeah, I'm gonna do that for this house. Truth is I wanna get out of here in ~2 years but I don't think that is gonna happen. I forget the dimensions of my room but it is open on the back right to a front area and front door along with stairs. I also have a hallway on the right in the middle of the room going down to the garage. One other thing I can say is that my PBK and ARC graphs got worse when I moved my couch to the left side wall next to the sub after I got 3 recliners. My room sucks and I know it so I will only put forth so much effort at the moment. In my next house assuming I intend to stay in that house I will make more long term plans and try and solve room issues. For now, I don't even get to turn my system on anymore. Kids!!!!
post #55 of 84 Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Tony
Tony, were you running 110 or 220 volts to the Paradigm Sub 2?

Thanks!

Bryston SP3
Bryston BDP-2, BOT-1
Bryston 14B SST, 6B SST
B&W 802N's, HTM1
Paradigm Sub 2
Paradigm ADP 470 v3
post #56 of 84 Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy View Post
Tony, were you running 110 or 220 volts to the Paradigm Sub 2?

Thanks!
I was running a dedicated 220V line.
post #57 of 84 Old 06-10-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I own sub25 and it is a beast on the 120v. I did get a chance to hear a dual room setup with 2 sub 25. My pants legs were flapping in the wind with the amount of pressure they delivered in a seal room.

I also heard the Sub 2 on a 240v line and the pressure is created was amazing. Both subs on the higher volt line takes them to a different level.

None of the shoot outs if I remember correctly did not have the sub2 plugged in a 220v line to get the best out of it.

My deal fell through and I cannot get a second Sub25. There were many subs mentioned in this thread. Do they provide that room pressure that make your pant legs flap? I would have 2 get 2 subs as I also have a large space.

They do improve on their products. The Sub 2 has gotten better. I was told they have made fine adjustment over the years to make it better and that's why it costs more now then it did before.

I don't want to hear the sub I want to feel it.

Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts(2) & Rears (2)
Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel(1)
Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides(2)
Paradigm Signature Sub25 -
Pioneer Elite SC-99 & Panasonic UB900 & Sony XBR75X940C
post #58 of 84 Old 06-10-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 46
@can you watch pearl Harbor. You should be able to feel the gun shots.

The subs mentioned and the one you purchased I am very curious. I felt the shots with the sub2 and the sub25;

Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts(2) & Rears (2)
Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel(1)
Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides(2)
Paradigm Signature Sub25 -
Pioneer Elite SC-99 & Panasonic UB900 & Sony XBR75X940C
post #59 of 84 Old 06-11-2018, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post
I own sub25 and it is a beast on the 120v. I did get a chance to hear a dual room setup with 2 sub 25. My pants legs were flapping in the wind with the amount of pressure they delivered in a seal room.

I also heard the Sub 2 on a 240v line and the pressure is created was amazing. Both subs on the higher volt line takes them to a different level.

None of the shoot outs if I remember correctly did not have the sub2 plugged in a 220v line to get the best out of it.

My deal fell through and I cannot get a second Sub25. There were many subs mentioned in this thread. Do they provide that room pressure that make your pant legs flap? I would have 2 get 2 subs as I also have a large space.

They do improve on their products. The Sub 2 has gotten better. I was told they have made fine adjustment over the years to make it better and that's why it costs more now then it did before.

I don't want to hear the sub I want to feel it.
You will definitely feel the PSA 7201, in my case 2x 7201. I had some friends over last weekend and watched Mad Max for the first time with the 7201s. A half empty wine glass was dancing around the coffee table, a decorative candle tray found its way off a bookshelf (the girlfriend wasn't too happy) and a ceramic jar met its demise when it decided to jump off the pantry shelf. I have a very large open layout to fill (it is described in earlier posts on this thread), the tactile sensation produced by the 7201 is admirable given the area. I couldn't imagine the response in an enclosed dedicated room- well, yes I can: it would be scary.

I still haven't watched enough content to deliver my final review on the dual PSA 7201 yet. Although I am happy with them, it still has me wondering how the other brand's big players would sound in my room. The best way to describe my experience with the PSA 7201s is with a food analogy. Growing up in Buffalo NY I know good chicken wings (what most parts of the country call 'Buffalo Wings'). Duff's are my favorite, every time I am in town I stop at Duff's. Many chicken wing joints have opened since I left the area but I will never give them a chance. Why? Because I know there cannot be a better wing than Duff's and I would not want to miss out on an opportunity to have Duff's by trying another bar's attempt at making a good wing. I do not have the same sentiment with regard to the 7201, I am left wondering if there is a better experience out there for my listening environment.

The thing I am struggling with is what is ultimately limiting the movie experience- is it the way the content is mixed or the way the 7201 reproduces it. For example Mad Max offered thunderous, deep and tight bass with regard to the truck noises and orchestral drums, however, the gun shots/explosions paled in comparison. So much so that my friends pointed it out after the movie was over. They were still impressed by the performance, but were quite perplexed at the discrepancy in sound effects.

In the films I have watched I am constantly evaluating. There have been bright spots- but also moments where I am thinking "well, that should have been louder/deeper". Has the PSA 7201 turned me into a content snob or is it not meeting my expectation because of design+integration limitations? I am honestly not sure. Prior to delivering my final review I want to watch a wide variety content to better unpack this question- I am currently viewing ~1 movie/month.

I am curious how dual JTR Captivator 4000ULFs would sound in my room compared to the dual PSA 7201. If anyone wants to bring some over I would be more than happy to host a shootout at my home in Albany NY

Last edited by Todeseng3l; 06-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.
post #60 of 84 Old 06-11-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
You will definitely feel the PSA 7201, in my case 2x 7201. I had some friends over last weekend and watched Mad Max for the first time with the 7201s. A half empty wine glass was dancing around the coffee table, a decorative candle tray found its way off a bookshelf (the girlfriend wasn't too happy) and a ceramic jar met its demise when it decided to jump off the pantry shelf. I have a very large open layout to fill (it is described in earlier posts on this thread), the tactile sensation produced by the 7201 is admirable given the area. I couldn't imagine the response in an enclosed dedicated room- well, yes I can: it would be scary.

I still haven't watched enough content to deliver my final review on the dual PSA 7201 yet. Although I am happy with them, it still has me wondering how the other brand's big players would sound in my room. The best way to describe my experience with the PSA 7201s is with a food analogy. Growing up in Buffalo NY I know good chicken wings (what most parts of the country call 'Buffalo Wings'). Duff's are my favorite, every time I am in town I stop at Duff's. Many chicken wing joints have opened since I left the area but I will never give them a chance. Why? Because I know there cannot be a better wing than Duff's and I would not want to miss out on an opportunity to have Duff's by trying another bar's attempt at making a good wing. I do not have the same sentiment with regard to the 7201, I am left wondering if there is a better experience out there for my listening environment.

The thing I am struggling with is what is ultimately limiting the movie experience- is it the way the content is mixed or the way the 7201 reproduces it. For example Mad Max offered thunderous, deep and tight bass with regard to the truck noises and orchestral drums, however, the gun shots/explosions paled in comparison. So much so that my friends pointed it out after the movie was over. They were still impressed by the performance, but were quite perplexed at the discrepancy in sound effects.

In the films I have watched I am constantly evaluating. There have been bright spots- but also moments where I am thinking "well, that should have been louder/deeper". Has the PSA 7201 turned me into a content snob or is it not meeting my expectation because of design+integration limitations? I am honestly not sure. Prior to delivering my final review I want to watch a wide variety content to better unpack this question- I am currently viewing ~1 movie/month.

I am curious how dual JTR Captivator 4000ULFs would sound in my room compared to the dual PSA 7201. If anyone wants to bring some over I would be more than happy to host a shootout at my home in Albany NY

To see how gun shot sound effects perform with your subs, rent Den of Thieves. Some of the best gun shot sound effects I've heard.

I'm in the minority but I didn't care for the sound track on MMFR much. To me it was just mostly droning bass with no texture or variation. Much like the first Pacific Rim.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Paradigm , pb16ultra , sub2 , subwoofer , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page