2Likes
  • 2 Post By grasshoppers

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sub question - setup problem

My new Monitor Audio SW-12 sub won't recognize the AVR's output via the dedicated sub jack unless double bass is enabled (no high pass filter on content passed to sub) on the Onkyo AVR, that is it seems incapable of recognizing only true low frequency content and simply will not play. The input on the sub is to the LFE jack vs. the full range inputs. This is annoying because it means the sub and mains are doubling up above the high pass setting of the crossover, which I would like to avoid. Even setting the crossover on the AVR as high as 150 Hz does not help. I know I could use the full range pre outs into the full range pre-ins on the sub with the sub's own crossover (which is ignored when using the LFE input) outputting filtered content back to the AVR's main ins instead, but that is a lot of cabling and extra signal path I should not have to bother with. The AVR's mains are set to large as per the instructions.

I have used the same AVR with a Klipsch sub without this issue, and have tested with all sorts of material with low bass content, so I suspect the sub is somehow defective, any ideas on other things to check though?

SVicious

Samsung KS8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ 810 | Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch RP-260F Mains, RS-25 Surrounds, SA-140 Heights
Klipsch R-SW 12 Subwoofer | Def Tech Mythos 10 Center | Roku Premier

Last edited by svicious; 01-14-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Liked: 2
Which model of Onkyo AVR do you have?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
TX-SR 701 is the model of the AVR. This is for a 2.1, mainly music system with Mnitor Audio Silver 10 mains.

SVicious

Samsung KS8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ 810 | Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch RP-260F Mains, RS-25 Surrounds, SA-140 Heights
Klipsch R-SW 12 Subwoofer | Def Tech Mythos 10 Center | Roku Premier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 699
"The AVR's mains are set to large as per the instructions."

Does this quote mean that the main speakers are set to "large"??

If so reset them to "small".
Alan P and altpensacola like this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I too have Silver 10's and the W-12 (5th generation). Mine are part of a 5.1 system and driven by a Pioneer receiver with MCACC. The sub is connected from the AVR's sub out to the sub's LCE in. Usage may be something like 2/3 music and 1/3 movies. I am not sure I follow everything in your story (your sub works with "double bass" but still "won't play") but I don't seem to have had any such issues. Not that I can see how it would solve your problem, but did you run the sub's auto calibration, as per the manual?

When setting up the system, I first ran the sub's own auto calibration feature with its own microphone, and then the MCACC. I have the sub in "Auto" mode, except during calibration, when it's in "On" mode. The S10's are set as Large speakers, as per the MCACC results. Whenever I start something containing LCE signal, the sub's power LED goes on automatically and the sub starts to play. My receiver doesn't have a 12V trigger output, so the sub is switching between Standby and On based on sensing whether there's an incoming LFE signal.

I have experimented with Large/Small for the mains, with different crossover frequencies, setting the sub in MCACC as Yes or Plus (only working with LFE or always working except in Pure Direct for music) and some of the receiver's sound processing features, like Auto Surround, Direct, and Pure Direct. I actually prefer the sound of Pure Direct mode, without any modifications at all and in the case of stereo music, no sub - which annoys me a bit since I am not using the sub then For movies with LFE track, the sub works even in Pure Direct mode, naturally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Monitor Audio , SW-12 , sw12

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page