Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2495Likes

post #61 of 1476 Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
wow, just now seeing this. I haven't thoroughly read through it all yet, but just skimmed though it right quick to check it out with limited time today and looks amazing. I'm sure this write up in this thread (as with all your posts) are going to be extremely helpful to this community, well written and easy to digest.

Awesome thread! I'm gonna go read through it thoroughly when I get a chance sometime this weekend.

Make sure to read the whole guide, I think you will enjoy-it after looking at all the details you did in your Theater.
Very nice one, by the way

Ray
SBuger and mthomas47 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1476 Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Woohoo!!! Awesome sticky thread!!
darthray and mthomas47 like this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #63 of 1476 Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Quoted: 5424 Post(s)
Liked: 10209
Lightbulb Edits

I may not always think to do post notifications when I make edits to the Guide. But, I added some things to the section titled Setting Crossovers, mainly adding a fairly detailed description of the LFE+Main feature that most members already know to avoid:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...erences.html#D

And, I reworked some of my descriptions and added more detail to the section on Room Gain today in an effort to do a better job of defining the difference between boundary gain and room mode gain:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...erences.html#H

If anyone is interested in looking at those sections, I have provided direct links to those two sections. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to notify people as to exactly what I have rewritten, other than to note the subject. But, if you are like me, some of the material is fairly heavy reading, anyway, so it may not be a bad thing to go over some of the ground again.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 03-19-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1476 Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Make sure to read the whole guide, I think you will enjoy-it after looking at all the details you did in your Theater.
Very nice one, by the way

Ray
Will do, I started on the thorough read tonight. Its great and chalk full of info for sure!

Hey thanks for the compliment on my the theater, you've got a very nice one as well!

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #65 of 1476 Old 02-26-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Will do, I started on the thorough read tonight. Its great and chalk full of info for sure!

Hey thanks for the compliment on my the theater, you've got a very nice one as well!

Thanks, I appreciate that

As you can see, lots of time was put into this guide.
And I have learn a few things my-self, even playing with audio for around 40 years

Ray
SBuger and mthomas47 like this.
post #66 of 1476 Old 03-02-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

mthomas47, I start to see your guide mention often in other threads now

This member, Alan P even took-it step further and now attach to his Signature
It show that your great work is now, not only appreciated, but also have so much important information that can help so many

It show how much, it is slowly becoming popular.
And now, been a Sticky make-it very easy to find to all

Ray
gene4ht, mthomas47 and Politicking like this.
post #67 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Quote:

This member, Alan P even took-it step further and now attach to his Signature
It show that your great work is now, not only appreciated, but also have so much important information that can help so many

Ray
Thank you very much for the compliment, Ray! I'm flattered to hear that Alan did that, and we have Gene to thank for originally suggesting that I put the Guide in a new thread that could become a sticky.

It has led me to spend even more time on the Guide, so I'm not sure that I want to thank Gene too much. I am actually at work on a new section to the Guide (also at Gene's helpful? suggestion ). I won't officially announce it until it is much more ready for prime time, but it promises to be time consuming to write, if nothing else.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht, darthray and unretarded like this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #68 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Thank you very much for the compliment, Ray! I'm flattered to hear that Alan did that, and we have Gene to thank for originally suggesting that I put the Guide in a new thread that could become a sticky.

It has led me to spend even more time on the Guide, so I'm not sure that I want to thank Gene too much. I am actually at work on a new section to the Guide (also at Gene's helpful? suggestion ). I won't officially announce it until it is much more ready for prime time, but it promises to be time consuming to write, if nothing else.

Regards,
Mike
LOL!!! It's your tireless efforts that advances our knowledge and makes this hobby and visiting these threads enjoyable!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #69 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Lightbulb Edits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
LOL!!! It's your tireless efforts that advances our knowledge and makes this hobby and visiting these threads enjoyable!
Hah! Flattery! Right now, it's more my tired efforts, but I have made a good start to the new section titled Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection. Your idea was to add something of a primer for prospective subwoofer buyers to the Guide. I liked the idea and believe that the writing went much faster than usual because I so often give that kind of advice anyway. Perhaps having this available to all of us will be helpful.

I am sure that I will tweak things as I normally do, and I will definitely be adding to the new section. But, I think I will let it marinate for a while and see whether it seems to be useful. Comments (hopefully constructive ones) are welcome. This a direct link to the new section:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...erences.html#I

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht, darthray and Politicking like this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 03-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #70 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Yay!!!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #71 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

This member, @Alan P even took-it step further and now attach to his Signature

Ray
What a great idea...
gene4ht, darthray and mthomas47 like this.

darrellh44's Home Theater

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #72 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Regards,
Mike

Very much looking forward to read-it

That said, You start to cost me lots of money in ink , for my Audyssey binder for personal reference, I may soon move from a 1" to a 1.5" one

Ray
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.
post #73 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post

So well said!!!

No threads, Sticky or Not have provided so much information's on a specific subject, that I can think of, been more Helpful for any situations.

Ray
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.
post #74 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
What a great idea...

LOL

I now see, you already did-it too
And Thanks for doing so!!!!

It took me a "Very Long long long time in a Galaxy very Close", to figure how to post a link of my Theater to my Signature
But would also like to add this one, one day I will figure out "on how to do-it", just slow to figure out stuff on computer.
Just like posting pictures from a URL site, took me years, but finally figure-it out for this Old Cat

Ray
mthomas47 likes this.
post #75 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hah! Flattery! Right now, it's more my tired efforts, but I have made a good start to the new section titled Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection. Your idea was to add something of a primer for prospective subwoofer buyers to the Guide. I liked the idea and believe that the writing went much faster than usual because I so often give that kind of advice anyway. Perhaps having this available to all of us will be helpful.

I am sure that I will tweak things as I normally do, and I will definitely be adding to the new section. But, I think I will let it marinate for a while and see whether it seems to be useful. Comments (hopefully constructive ones) are welcome. This a direct link to the new section:

Regards,
Mike

First a Big Thanks to the direct links, and I personally Love them, so Important

How many time that * Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection:
or Sealed Versus Ported Subwoofers:
been ask? I do not personally recall

Great sub-sections

Ray
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 03-03-2018 at 07:24 PM.
post #76 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
First a Big Thanks to the direct links, and I personally Love them, so Important

How many time that * Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection:
or Sealed Versus Ported Subwoofers:
been ask? I do not personally recall

Great sub-sections

Ray
Thank you very much, Ray! And, you are welcome for the links. I know that I will use them too.

I'm not too sharp at adding links in my signature, so whenever I need to add or to change something I refer to the explanation in the thread below. I think you would just go to the first post on Page 1. The best way would be to click on the link in my signature to take you there. Then, copy the URL in the address box and follow the directions in the thread I'm linking. You won't have to change the name, so that will make it easier.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...signature.html

Regards,
Mike
darthray and drh3b like this.

post #77 of 1476 Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much, Ray! And, you are welcome for the links. I know that I will use them too.

I'm not too sharp at adding links in my signature, so whenever I need to add or to change something I refer to the explanation in the thread below. I think you would just go to the first post on Page 1. The best way would be to click on the link in my signature to take you there. Then, copy the URL in the address box and follow the directions in the thread I'm linking. You won't have to change the name, so that will make it easier.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the link
Will look into-it when time permit!!!

Ray
post #78 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 435
@MJB1023 Rather than quote your detailed post regarding the replacement of a plate amp in an older sub, I thought I'd relate my experience with a blown amp in an old ED 7S450 18" 8 cf sealed cabinet. I used one of the SpeakerPower DSP plate amps, which has some boost at the bottom to compensate for the drop off of a sealed sub with excellent results.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #79 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
@MJB1023 Rather than quote your detailed post regarding the replacement of a plate amp in an older sub, I thought I'd relate my experience with a blown amp in an old ED 7S450 18" 8 cf sealed cabinet. I used one of the SpeakerPower DSP plate amps, which has some boost at the bottom to compensate for the drop off of a sealed sub with excellent results.
Thanks for the post Ted99. I am familiar with the brand and it has a rock solid reputation. I always thought they only sold to speaker builders like JTR, Seaton, etc, but it looks like they changed that policy. Having SpeakerPower plate amps as an option is very attractive.
post #80 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB1023 View Post
Thanks for the post Ted99. I am familiar with the brand and it has a rock solid reputation. I always thought they only sold to speaker builders like JTR, Seaton, etc, but it looks like they changed that policy. Having SpeakerPower plate amps as an option is very attractive.
When I bought mine a couple of months ago, they had significantly lowered their MSRP. I've had some bad experiences with Parts Express

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #81 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Lightbulb Edits

Quote:
Very much looking forward to read-it

That said, You start to cost me lots of money in ink , for my Audyssey binder for personal reference, I may soon move from a 1" to a 1.5" one

Ray
Bad news, Ray! I have just added a new subsection to Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection. The new section title is: Bass Preferences, and Subwoofer Selection and Placement. The new subsection provides some very basic advice on subwoofer location. How helpful any of this will actually be is hard to say, but it does round-out an aspect of the subject that I had been trying to find a place for. This is a direct link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...erences.html#I

I wish you wanted to read this on the screen. You may need a 2" binder before long.

Regards,
Mike
darthray likes this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 03-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #82 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bad news, Ray! I have just added a brief subsection to Bass Preferences and Subwoofer Selection. It provides some very basic advice on subwoofer location. How helpful any of this will actually be is hard to say, but it does round out an aspect of the subject that I had been trying to find a place for. This is a direct link:

I wish you wanted to read this on the screen. You may need a 2" binder before long.

Regards,
Mike

No problem here!
As the Emperor said in Star Wars "So be It"

I will keep out an eye on-it and reprint in the future, just like buying new Audio Toys, patience is your friend

Will work on adding your link to my signature, in a near future, and will also add the Audyssey FAQ.

Ray
mthomas47 likes this.
post #83 of 1476 Old 03-04-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem here!
As the Emperor said in Star Wars "So be It"

I will keep out an eye on-it and reprint in the future, just like buying new Audio Toys, patience is your friend

Will work on adding your link to my signature, in a near future, and will also add the Audyssey FAQ.

Ray
Quote:
Thanks for the link
Will look into-it when time permit!!!

Ray
Quote:

Regards,
Mike

, I got it working in less than a hour

The link you have provided, did help, but when following the instructions, it look Funky
It show all the add, [] +...

After doing a few experiments, I found a very easy way

Since, I had already a link to my Theater, all I had to do was the following;
- I paste and copy the link directly from your signature (without opening-it)
- then exit the thread
- then went into my profile
- then click on "Tools"
- then "User CP"
- then "Edit Signature"
- from there, I just click Enter on the key board after my Signature
- this brought me below my Signature for the next line
- then I just pasted your link on your signature, from my first step.
- Click on accept change

And Voila
It work!!!

Sharing this, so others may benefit from those simple steps.

Ray
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 03-05-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #84 of 1476 Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
. . . The two most influential room modes are the tangential mode, which is based on a two-dimensional diagonal of a room, and the axial mode, which is based on a three-dimensional diagonal measurement.
I can't figure out what you mean by "diagonal measurement," and you seem to have these switched. Axial modes are created by two parallel surfaces (front/back wall, left/right wall, ceiling/floor) and tangential modes are created by four surfaces (all four walls or two walls and the ceiling/floor). Tangential modes are about half the strength of axial modes. I recommend putting axial mode, the stronger mode, first in your description.
mthomas47 likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #85 of 1476 Old 03-06-2018, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I can't figure out what you mean by "diagonal measurement," and you seem to have these switched. Axial modes are created by two parallel surfaces (front/back wall, left/right wall, ceiling/floor) and tangential modes are created by four surfaces (all four walls or two walls and the ceiling/floor). Tangential modes are about half the strength of axial modes. I recommend putting axial mode, the stronger mode, first in your description.
Thanks for the feedback! I will take all the help I can get. I will add some clarification to the description of the tangential mode. The diagonal I am referring to is the diagonal measurement of room length and width, from one corner to the other. That's why I distinguished between a two-dimensional measurement, and the three-dimensional diagonal of the axial mode, which is length, width, and height, from one corner to the other.

I debated whether to start with the tangential mode or the axial mode. The axial mode is the stronger of the two modes and begins at +6db, but the tangential mode, although weaker at +3db, begins at a higher frequency. That's why I decided to start the explanation with the tangential mode. But, if you think that it will make more sense to lead with the stronger axial mode, then I will look at doing that. And, I will add some clarification language in any case.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: I just added some clarification to my description of the two modes, and rearranged things a bit. See if you think this works better. This is a direct link to that section, and please feel free to help me clean up anything else you spot:

darthray likes this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 03-19-2018 at 03:55 PM.
post #86 of 1476 Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:

WOW! You have outdone yourself Mike. Outstanding post and resource. Thank you sir!

BTW, I always wondered how long of a post the forum would support.
post #87 of 1476 Old 03-07-2018, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
WOW! You have outdone yourself Mike. Outstanding post and resource. Thank you sir!

Thank you very much!

I don't know that the Guide has fully tested the post length-limit yet, though, if you know what I mean.
darthray likes this.

post #88 of 1476 Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Big +1 for resource and personal education

Quote:
Thank you very much!

I don't know that the Guide has fully tested the post length-limit yet, though, if you know what I mean.

Lets see, some threads are in the 10 thousands posts, with hundreds of pages, so I think to say it will be around for a little while

Ray
mthomas47 likes this.
post #89 of 1476 Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Excellent guide, in layman's terms too.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #90 of 1476 Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member