QSC Cinema Subwoofers v. Forum Favorites. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chucky7

post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
QSC Cinema Subwoofers v. Forum Favorites.

Next in my series of QSC Cinema questions, I’m curious about their subwoofers.

In the latest plans, my room will be about 3,500 ft^3 (20x16x~11). Mostly movies, but will use music to showcase. I’m looking for powerful, accurate, visceral bass. I’m leaning towards the SC-2150s for my LCRs right now. My current plans leave only about 1-2 ft between my wall and the AT screen.

QSC has a couple of 18" subs that will fit (SB-1180 and SB-2180, in particular), but they’re only spec’d down to 29 or 25 Hz. Of course, since these are designed for cinema, maybe that's all that I'm really looking for.

I expect I know the recommendation from this forum, but should I be considering more esoteric subs (e.g. Seaton Submersive F2)?

(As always, thanks to @cbromley for the QSC inspiration!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-28-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammer View Post
Next in my series of QSC Cinema questions, I?m curious about their subwoofers.

In the latest plans, my room will be about 3,500 ft^3 (20x16x~11). Mostly movies, but will use music to showcase. I?m looking for powerful, accurate, visceral bass. I?m leaning towards the SC-2150s for my LCRs right now. My current plans leave only about 1-2 ft between my wall and the AT screen.

QSC has a couple of 18" subs that will fit (SB-1180 and SB-2180, in particular), but they?re only spec?d down to 29 or 25 Hz. Of course, since these are designed for cinema, maybe that's all that I'm really looking for.

I expect I know the recommendation from this forum, but should I be considering more esoteric subs (e.g. Seaton Submersive F2)?

Don't even bother with those, there are much much better options. Trust me, once you feel sub 25hz bass, you can never go back. It is FAR superior.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #3 of 13 Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Seaton HPs or F2s will deliver the goods. Would definitely go with an active/passive pair of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Look into Rythmik, JTR, HSU, Seaton, Monolith, or even DIY.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-28-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yup - pretty much the advice I expected. Hope you don't mind that I had to ask anyway.

I guess my more pertinent question is what else besides the Seaton F2s will be thin enough but still kick my ass?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Yup - pretty much the advice I expected. Hope you don't mind that I had to ask anyway.

I guess my more pertinent question is what else besides the Seaton F2s will be thin enough but still kick my ass?
If you leave 20-24" many subs will fit because you don't have to have them facing forward. You can have them sideways behind the wall. Seaton F2 is 20" deep so as long as you leave 22-24" or so for a falsw wall you should be fine. I am doing the same thing (I just ordered dual Monolith 15's). Also if you are behind a false wall you don't really need grills on your subs which can save space. I would think you will find most subs recommended here will fit behind a 22-24" deep false wall.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Good god! I just saw that JTR makes a "low profile" version of the Captivator 4000ULF. Only 20.5" deep!

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-4000ulf-lp.html

I'm sure that one of these would be more than overkill for my room, but can I live with myself with just a 7.1.4 system instead of a 7.2.4 system? It's tough life, I tell ya . . .

Ok, seriously though - would I be able to tune one ridiculously overpowered sub in a sealed room, or would I be better off with two slightly less ridiculous subs? The room is still in the planning stages, so I can't do in real world testing. For design reasons, I'd really like to keep everything behind my screen.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked: 5586
Quote:
Good god! I just saw that JTR makes a "low profile" version of the Captivator 4000ULF. Only 20.5" deep!

I'm sure that one of these would be more than overkill for my room, but can I live with myself with just a 7.1.4 system instead of a 7.2.4 system? It's tough life, I tell ya . . .

Ok, seriously though - would I be able to tune one ridiculously overpowered sub in a sealed room, or would I be better off with two slightly less ridiculous subs? The room is still in the planning stages, so I can't do in real world testing. For design reasons, I'd really like to keep everything behind my screen.
Hahaha... Now we are talking!!!

Your room is 3500 cu ft and for mostly movies. You should really look at ported subs.

JTR subs are known to be powerful, accurate, visceral. There is the reason that JTR is ranked #1 for movies in so many GTGs.

The 4000ULF-LP was specifically designed for behind the screen / hidden in wall or near field behind seats.

Since whatever sub you decide on will go behind a predetermined location, you should get the most potent sub you can afford.
trammer likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If I were you, I'd go with dual JTR Cap 2400's over the single ULF 4000. Much smoother room response.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
Look into Rythmik, JTR, HSU, Seaton, Monolith, or even DIY.
Outside of JTR and possibly Seaton those other companies could not touch those Cinema subs for output above 25hz.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

You are just going to get generic advice here from people who have never heard pro cinema products.

Subwoofers from Hsu, Rhythmic, or Monolith will sound like rat farts compared to Pro Cinema subwoofers when you command high output.

The guys here giving the usual generic advice to go with the above companies are the same type of guys who think a 15 inch subwoofer is huge.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-03-2018 at 10:50 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
You are just going to get generic advice here from people who have never heard pro cinema products.

Subwoofers from Hsu, Rhythmic, or Monolith will sound like rat farts compared to Pro Cinema subwoofers when you command high output.

The guys here giving the usual generic advice to go with the above companies are the same type of guys who think a 15 inch subwoofer is huge.
Okay..accepted ..but how much difference will it make between a subwoofer reaching to 20hz vs 30hz. My room size is 17x14x11. I wanted to get the qsc sb-1180. But -10db at 29hz makes me think that will it be a wise decision specially when my aim is to get a good sub for movies.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Next in my series of QSC Cinema questions, I’m curious about their subwoofers.

In the latest plans, my room will be about 3,500 ft^3 (20x16x~11). Mostly movies, but will use music to showcase. I’m looking for powerful, accurate, visceral bass. I’m leaning towards the SC-2150s for my LCRs right now. My current plans leave only about 1-2 ft between my wall and the AT screen.

QSC has a couple of 18" subs that will fit (SB-1180 and SB-2180, in particular), but they’re only spec’d down to 29 or 25 Hz. Of course, since these are designed for cinema, maybe that's all that I'm really looking for.

So which subwoofer did u buy finally ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page