Using an RCA splitter with Subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmock17
  • 1 Post By Marc Alexander
  • 1 Post By Tom Vodhanel

post #1 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Using an RCA splitter with Subs

I currently have a Denon amp with 2 sub outs. I am using two klipsch r-115sw’s. One it is hooked up using the rocket fish wireless adapter and the other is connected with a sub cable. I moved things around in the basement so I had to use an rca adapter and another sub cable to get the length I needed.

I am thinking that I would prefer to have the other one wired as well and get rid of the wireless kit. Can I use an rca y splitter and connect it directly to the rca adapter and run two sub cables off of that? If so, will their be any loss of bass? Essentially both subs will be running out of the one sub out from the receiver. I wasn’t sure if using the adapter and the splitter would cause any degradation in the sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
I currently have a Denon amp with 2 sub outs. I am using two klipsch r-115sw’s. One it is hooked up using the rocket fish wireless adapter and the other is connected with a sub cable. I moved things around in the basement so I had to use an rca adapter and another sub cable to get the length I needed.

I am thinking that I would prefer to have the other one wired as well and get rid of the wireless kit. Can I use an rca y splitter and connect it directly to the rca adapter and run two sub cables off of that? If so, will their be any loss of bass? Essentially both subs will be running out of the one sub out from the receiver. I wasn’t sure if using the adapter and the splitter would cause any degradation in the sound?

That will work fine, no signal lose at all.

However, if the denon has dual sub outputs you may lose the benefits of discrete level and time alignment (via Audyssey) with this arrangement. If you do those manually(level setting and distance/phase) then it won't make much difference.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #3 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Exactly what Tom V said.. or, why not just run a sub cable to each sub from each sub out on the AVR? ..unless there’s a visibility issue of a cable running across the floor. I have the Outlaw OAW4 wireless kit and it has been great! I tried some others that are just a waste of time and money...

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Exactly what Tom V said.. or, why not just run a sub cable to each sub from each sub out on the AVR? ..unless there’s a visibility issue of a cable running across the floor. I have the Outlaw OAW4 wireless kit and it has been great! I tried some others that are just a waste of time and money...

The avr is in a separate room. I had conduit that I was running all the cable through but there is no more room in the conduit for another cable; it is full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
That will work fine, no signal lose at all.

However, if the denon has dual sub outputs you may lose the benefits of discrete level and time alignment (via Audyssey) with this arrangement. If you do those manually(level setting and distance/phase) then it won't make much difference.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom. I have no idea what you mean by discrete level and time alignment. I just ran audyssey with the one sub connected and then added the second and set the gain to the same as the first one.

post #5 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom. I have no idea what you mean by discrete level and time alignment. I just ran audyssey with the one sub connected and then added the second and set the gain to the same as the first one.

Tom can explain this better than me.. but the benefit of an AVR with dual sub settings or EQ is to set each sub individually based on distance (delay)? which in fact helps with the timing and EQ of two separate subs.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #6 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tom can explain this better than me.. but the benefit of an AVR with dual sub settings or EQ is to set each sub individually based on distance (delay)? which in fact helps with the timing and EQ of two separate subs.

I have the Denon x2200. While it does have dual sub outs, I cannot calibrate each sub separately.

post #7 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the Denon x2200. While it does have dual sub outs, I cannot calibrate each sub separately.

Ahhh I see.. either way would be fine then. Run cables to both or “daisy chain” them or use a y-splitter. If it were me, while using the sub test tones, I’d use a C weighted SPL meter while sitting in the MLP and adjust each sub so I’m getting the same db at the MLP.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahhh I see.. either way would be fine then. Run cables to both or “daisy chain” them or use a y-splitter. If it were me, while using the sub test tones, I’d use a C weighted SPL meter while sitting in the MLP and adjust each sub so I’m getting the same db at the MLP.

I know I should do that. I need to get a meter and find the time to do it. Thanks again though for your suggestions and input

Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6039 Post(s)
Liked: 5617
Run Audyssey again after both subs are connected. Then boost the sub level to taste.
Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 11084
Quote:
I know I should do that. I need to get a meter and find the time to do it. Thanks again though for your suggestions and input

With the 2200x you have multiEQ which doesn't include HT SUB EQ(the dual discrete sub feature). So splitting one sub out won't lose any potential benefits.

If you./any one is looking for an inexpensive SPL meter be sure it has a C Weighting option. A weighting is useless for home audio use.

I recently got a few of these and they seem to work just as well as the old rat-shack meters of days gone by.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-light-30...CTQDTC2EGAATR9

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Falconsfan71 likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #11 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 6831 Post(s)
Liked: 6464
Quote:

Yeah...whenever you add a speaker/sub to the system you need to re-run Audyssey.

There is a great guide to Audyssey and subwoofers in my sig below.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Yeah...whenever you add a speaker/sub to the system you need to re-run Audyssey.

There is a great guide to Audyssey and subwoofers in my sig below.

Thanks Alan, that makes sense but I am not adding another sub. I already have two but I am changing one from a wireless connection to a wired setup. I was just wondering if using an rca adapter and then a y splitter would work without sacrificing any output from the avr to the subs.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 6831 Post(s)
Liked: 6464
Quote:
Thanks Alan, that makes sense but I am not adding another sub. I already have two but I am changing one from a wireless connection to a wired setup. I was just wondering if using an rca adapter and then a y splitter would work without sacrificing any output from the avr to the subs.

I get that, and others have answered...I was responding to your post that I quoted.

Quote:

Did this not mean that you added a sub and did not re-run Audyssey? If not, my apologies...
post #14 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I get that, and others have answered...I was responding to your post that I quoted.

Did this not mean that you added a sub and did not re-run Audyssey? If not, my apologies...

No reason to apologize, I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I should have been more clear. The subs have been connected this same way with the wireless adapter for months. When I mentioned running audyssey I meant when I first added the second subwoofer months ago.

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page