$1000 Budget - Dual SVS PB-1000 or single PB-2000 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #61 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5482 Post(s)
Liked: 10464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Sobolewski View Post
If that is a 10 inch sub what makes it better than a 15 inch Hsu? Build quality?
I'm sure that it is a very nice subwoofer, particularly for listening to music played by acoustic instruments. But, it also rolls-off by 3db at 26Hz in-room, which is very modest low-frequency performance for a subwoofer. Since your listening habits are as described below, you would be much better served by a subwoofer which permits you to have low-bass when you want it. You don't always have to have low or loud bass, but when you do want them, it's a shame to pay $1000 for a subwoofer and not be able to have them.

Listening/viewing habits
40% Movies/Streaming content - AppleTV
40% Games -PS4 Pro and Switch
20% DirecTV/live sports
alwaller and jjackkrash like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAUSTIN View Post
Better basket, driver, amp and crossover. The accuracy and clarity are the best I've seen by any sub at that price point. Look at the reviews by any hifi audio reviewer. JL subs are always on the top of the list.
JL does make really nice stuff. However, the $1500 E110 would be more comparable to say the SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer in performance. SB12-NSD is $399.99. The E100 was measured by soundandvision.com and the F3 point was 26Hz. A small, sealed 10" sub isn't going to be even close to the ballpark of something like the HSU VTF-15H mk2. E110 would still be out in the parking lot looking for a space.
post #63 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
If that is a 10 inch sub what makes it better than a 15 inch Hsu? Build quality?

It's not...not by a long shot. You are paying a HUGE premium to get decent performance from a tiny box. However, that decent performance is far less than half of the performance you will get from either of the Hsu options...and they will do it with lower distortion and hence, better sound quality than the JL. If a tiny sub is your biggest priority and budget is not a concern, JL is worth a look, although Hsu's ULS15 will outperform substantially for less money and not much bigger in size.

Stick with the VTF3.5 or 15.2, unless getting 6-8 of the JL's to match the performance makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
It's not...not by a long shot. You are paying a HUGE premium to get decent performance from a tiny box. However, that decent performance is far less than half of the performance you will get from either of the Hsu options...and they will do it with lower distortion and hence, better sound quality than the JL. If a tiny sub is your biggest priority and budget is not a concern, JL is worth a look, although Hsu's ULS15 will outperform substantially for less money and not much bigger in size.

Stick with the VTF3.5 or 15.2, unless getting 6-8 of the JL's to match the performance makes sense.
Is the grille on the VTF3.5 durable? The open ports on the 15.2 might be very enticing for our toddler. I found 20 hot wheels inside an old Energy sub...
post #65 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Is the grille on the VTF3.5 durable? The open ports on the 15.2 might be very enticing for our toddler. I found 20 hot wheels inside an old Energy sub...
Haha wow. As far as the grille I don't know...have not owned a Hsu sub. I think the ports on the 15.2 are completely open though...definitely might be an enticing hiding spot for toys.

I suppose an option worth considering would be PSA's 15V. Performance should be somewhat similar...it is down firing so the driver is safer with toddlers, port is in the rear I think. If it matters, PSA probably has the best customer service in the ID business and they are, as far as I know, the only one whose products are made in the USA by American workers.

Log on to their website now. I'd bet 5 of @basshead81 's dollars that one of the owners opens a chat with you in less than a minute.
basshead81 likes this.
post #66 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I've been following this thread for a few days now, and I just wanted to add a few points...and a few cliches if I may.

Size does matter as there's no replacement for displacement. Simply because it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

These are things that I've learned in my time of research and an excellent education since joining the AVS Forums. And it's all true.

My choice of sub was narrowed down to the HSU VTF-2 MK5. That was the best bang for the buck as that's what MY BUDGET would allow. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a deal on the SVS PB12 Plus that I mentioned before, along with a set of 4 HSU HB1's and an HC1 through the AVS classifieds.

The veteran guys on here have given you some fantastic suggestions. It's the same advice that was given to me in my journey to acquire the best sub that my budget would allow.

These subs are definitely pretty substantial in size, and can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you do get used to it. Kind of like getting that first big ass cell phone. It doesn't seem quite as big after a short time with it...until your friends see it and remind you that it's a big ass phone. Lol

With that being said, go for the best sub that your budget will allow. Trust me, you won't regret it. You're listening and viewing experience will remind you of that fact every time you crank that bad boy up.

Hope this helps!

Darrell
mthomas47 and Falconsfan71 like this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #67 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
I've been following this thread for a few days now, and I just wanted to add a few points...and a few cliches if I may.

Size does matter as there's no replacement for displacement. Simply because it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

These are things that I've learned in my time of research and an excellent education since joining the AVS Forums. And it's all true.

My choice of sub was narrowed down to the HSU VTF-2 MK5. That was the best bang for the buck as that's what MY BUDGET would allow. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a deal on the SVS PB12 Plus that I mentioned before, along with a set of 4 HSU HB1's and an HC1 through the AVS classifieds.

The veteran guys on here have given you some fantastic suggestions. It's the same advice that was given to me in my journey to acquire the best sub that my budget would allow.

These subs are definitely pretty substantial in size, and can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you do get used to it. Kind of like getting that first big ass cell phone. It doesn't seem quite as big after a short time with it...until your friends see it and remind you that it's a big ass phone. Lol

With that being said, go for the best sub that your budget will allow. Trust me, you won't regret it. You're listening and viewing experience will remind you of that fact every time you crank that bad boy up.

Hope this helps!

Darrell
It certainly does. Thank you. And now of course I’m looking at PSA - thanks to bear123!

I can only police the inserting of toys into subwoofers so much!
d-rail34 likes this.
post #68 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Excellent info in this thread, so thanks to everyone! After reading through a few other threads,

I was thinking about going with the 3.5, but without the ability to demo (particularly in my space), I have no idea how to choose between the two, aside from price.

Regarding room, the spaces I have open for a sub are big enough for either.

The budget? Well, let's just say I wasn't even planning on buying a sub about 24 hours ago, but after much research and consideration of what I want to do in upgrades (really want to get to Atmos at some point), I have to admit that a demo about 8 months ago for Atmos speakers strongly highlighted the lack of bass in my current setup (B&W AWS600). I don't want to pay $800, much less $1000, but here's my thinking--I've had my AWS600 for 14 years now. So, if I'm going to invest in another one, it may as well be worth it.

Regarding listening, mine is primarily movies and sports.

Two questions for you guys:
  • I see Hsu is having a sale right now on the 15.2, but not the 3.5. They're calling the sale "St Patrick's Day" sale. Do they do sales very often? Is the current sale par for the course, or have you seen better? Wondering, if they're doing a sale for St Patrick's Day, would they maybe do a better one for, say Memorial day or Father's day?
  • What is the most constructive, objective way to choose between the 15.2 and 3.5 without being able to demo either?

----------
LG OLED65C7P, LG EG9100, (Retired: Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK)
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
DM 603 S3 (x2), LCR600 S3, DS3 (x2), 686 S2 (x2), Hsu VTF-3 MK5
Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, DTV 4K
post #69 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
It certainly does. Thank you. And now of course I’m looking at PSA - thanks to bear123!

Lol...I hear ya. Luckily my daughter is old enough that I don't have to worry about toys being crammed into the ports on my sub. It also has the metal screen to protect the driver from flying objects.

I think you'll be very happy with your selection. The guys that started PSA were originally with SVS, and they have a really good reputation for their standards of performance, quality & service. I have heard nothing but great things about them. Definitely a company/brand that I will be considering in the future.

Please give an update of your impression of the new sub.

Happy listening,

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #70 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatp View Post
Excellent info in this thread, so thanks to everyone! After reading through a few other threads,

I was thinking about going with the 3.5, but without the ability to demo (particularly in my space), I have no idea how to choose between the two, aside from price.

Regarding room, the spaces I have open for a sub are big enough for either.

The budget? Well, let's just say I wasn't even planning on buying a sub about 24 hours ago, but after much research and consideration of what I want to do in upgrades (really want to get to Atmos at some point), I have to admit that a demo about 8 months ago for Atmos speakers strongly highlighted the lack of bass in my current setup (B&W AWS600). I don't want to pay $800, much less $1000, but here's my thinking--I've had my AWS600 for 14 years now. So, if I'm going to invest in another one, it may as well be worth it.

Regarding listening, mine is primarily movies and sports.

Two questions for you guys:
  • I see Hsu is having a sale right now on the 15.2, but not the 3.5. They're calling the sale "St Patrick's Day" sale. Do they do sales very often? Is the current sale par for the course, or have you seen better? Wondering, if they're doing a sale for St Patrick's Day, would they maybe do a better one for, say Memorial day or Father's day?
  • What is the most constructive, objective way to choose between the 15.2 and 3.5 without being able to demo either?
The VTF-15H.2 and VTF-3.5 use the same driver and both have the same amp power. Main difference is the VTF-15H cabinet is larger and it has larger ports. This enables the VTF-15H to play with more output lower in range and with less chance of port noise. IMO, I would pay the extra and get the VTF-15H. The current sale on it for $1032 ($40 0ff) is normal for when it's on sale. HSU never has large discounts on their stuff. HSU also doesn't ever put dual drives on any sale, as they already reflect a discount for buying two. So it's actually cheaper right now to buy two VTF-15H singles over the dual drive.
thephatp likes this.
post #71 of 115 Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The VTF-15H.2 and VTF-3.5 use the same driver and both have the same amp power. Main difference is the VTF-15H cabinet is larger and it has larger ports. This enables the VTF-15H to play with more output lower in range and with less chance of port noise. IMO, I would pay the extra and get the VTF-15H. The current sale on it for $1032 ($40 0ff) is normal for when it's on sale. HSU never has large discounts on their stuff. HSU also doesn't ever put dual drives on any sale, as they already reflect a discount for buying two. So it's actually cheaper right now to buy two VTF-15H singles over the dual drive.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Mix!
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

----------
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
post #72 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

Just keep the grill on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d-rail34 likes this.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #73 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Just keep the grill on it!

That didn’t stop them! :-/
post #74 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
That didn’t stop them! :-/
Turn the sub so the ports and driver face the wall?
post #75 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

But then they would’ve disconnected the wires - two-year-olds are not heathens, it’s just hard when you have three kids :-/

Hopefully it’ll be better in the new home theater
post #76 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep it locked with a “No Kids Allowed” sign and watch movies when they’re gone or after they go to bed!

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #77 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I say by pass the two and go for a HSU vtf3... Big time sub for under 1000k .. No sub comes close in that price range
Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #78 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
In that case, you might want to look closely at the various subwoofers online, and, before ordering, ask the manufacturer about such things. The SVS PC-2000 is a down-firing subwoofer, and it has a port on the side, just below the amplifier. (Take a look at the pictures at the SVS site.) If you turn it such that the children cannot reach the wires, they should not be able to reach the port either. If you have a corner of your room where it can be placed, the amplifier and port could be toward the corner.

The older cylinders would have been better on this, as mine are bottom-firing, and have top ports which are covered by a metal grill that takes a good amount of effort to pry off, and it is high up enough that a small child is not going to reach it anyway. But that does not help you too much, since it is a discontinued model.

But you can look at the online pictures of whatever subwoofers you are considering, and when you think you have found something suitable, you can contact the manufacturer and ask about such things. If you end up with *only* a PC-2000, you can think of saving a bit of money, and maybe your wife will be more amenable to getting a second one next year, given what a thoughtful father you are, in thinking of how your children are affected and that you bought something to be compatible with having small children.

(Given the way some people are here with advice regarding special issues with pets, one wonders why no one has suggested getting rid of your children. They could ask, "aren't there any orphanages in your area?" and say "a real audiophile will do anything for better sound" or some such thing.)

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #79 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9296
As Bear mentioned, Just get a down firing sub...problem solved. SVS cylinder, Outlaw X12, PSA 15s or 15v. PSA currently has a 15s in outlet for 849.00.
post #80 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to tell the differnence bwtween any of the Internet direct companies - have been back and forth for quite awhile, thinking about rhythmik, Hsu, psa etc. decision paralysis? Maybe. I like that the customer service and free shipping + trial period of SVS makes it simple. I also don’t think my wife would go for a “giant” sub. She’s been great about the ridiculous boxes the martinlogan motion 20s shipped in.

For hose if you with dual 10 inch subwoofers, have you been happy with the performance over time?

I have two pb1000s in my 15x20 x10 media room and the bass is great. Does it go as low or as loud as some of the other companies 15 inch ported subs - of course not. But I have a family as well and they don’t always appreciate the bass that the pb1000s put out when they are not watching a movie with me.

For music I don’t love what they do but I am almost entirely using them for movies. If you care about music I would suggest looking at some other options. Maybe you could get the pb1000s dialed in there but I think the mid bass punch would be lacking compared to other options.

I often wonder what some hsu 15s would be like or psa 15s. But still haven’t tried it.
post #81 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post
Quote:
For hose if you with dual 10 inch subwoofers, have you been happy with the performance over time?
I have two pb1000s in my 15x20 x10 media room and the bass is great. Does it go as low or as loud as some of the other companies 15 inch ported subs - of course not. But I have a family as well and they don’t always appreciate the bass that the pb1000s put out when they are not watching a movie with me.

For music I don’t love what they do but I am almost entirely using them for movies. If you care about music I would suggest looking at some other options. Maybe you could get the pb1000s dialed in there but I think the mid bass punch would be lacking compared to other options.

I often wonder what some hsu 15s would be like or psa 15s. But still haven’t tried it.
I've been thinking about this a lot over the past 2 days as I've come to grips with the fact that I'm unhappy with my current bass. I kept telling myself I was happy, but I wasn't. I keep thinking back to when I demo'ed some atmos speakers, one thing I immediately noticed (not from atmos, of course) was that I "felt" the bass and how much of a difference it made. So much so that I was distracted from the demo of the atmos speakers because of it.

Then, my aha moment came when describing to my wife the difference between my 10" JL Audio speakers I had in my car (back before we ever met), and the difference when I upgraded to 12" JL Audios. I distinctly remember the different in some of the low ends bottoming out w/ the 10", but after upgrade, how it made a huge difference in bringing those to life, and I demonstrated the difference (with my voice, lol).

Now, that was clearly related to listening to music in my car, but the theory is the same in terms of what I personally feel like I'm missing right now in movies--I want the crashes, explosions, airplanes, the lower end of soundtracks, etc to really come alive. And while it's not as long/pronounced as a 4-beat low note in a song, the feeling of "wanting" more is consistently dissatisfying (whereas, during the demo in store I mentioned above, it was incredibly satisfying).

@Brad Sobolewski , I'm not suggesting any particular choice/decision (I've made my choice, but haven't ordered it yet), just pointing out to consider what you're really wanting most out of your system and seek a solution accordingly. I can't say what two 10" subs would sound like in my setup, but knowing what I really want to hear, I doubt they could deliver the satisfaction for what I want, but thankfully, my wife is open to me having a larger sub.

----------
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1

Last edited by thephatp; 03-05-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #82 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Does it matter which way the ports face? I've always assumed they should face out, away from a wall. ...
In an ideal world, it would not matter which way the ports face. However, some subwoofers make unwanted noise from the ports when they are driven hard, in which case it would be best if the port were pointed away from where one is listening. Facing a wall is totally fine, as long as the subwoofer is away from the wall a few inches. In fact, if there is unwanted port noise, it is better if it is facing a wall instead of being in the direction one is sitting.

Aside from the fact that some ported subwoofers have had the port on the opposite side as the woofer, you might want to think about where ports are located on other kinds of speakers. Many use a rear port, which obviously is intended to be pointed in the direction of a wall. This helps in the event of unwanted port noise, which is caused by turbulence from too much air rushing through the port. If it is pointed away from the listener, it is generally less audible than if it is pointed in the direction of the listener.

So, normally, if the port is on a side that is different from the speaker, pointing the port toward a wall is generally a good idea.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #83 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post
In an ideal world, it would not matter which way the ports face. However, some subwoofers make unwanted noise from the ports when they are driven hard, in which case it would be best if the port were pointed away from where one is listening. Facing a wall is totally fine, as long as the subwoofer is away from the wall a few inches. In fact, if there is unwanted port noise, it is better if it is facing a wall instead of being in the direction one is sitting.

Aside from the fact that some ported subwoofers have had the port on the opposite side as the woofer, you might want to think about where ports are located on other kinds of speakers. Many use a rear port, which obviously is intended to be pointed in the direction of a wall. This helps in the event of unwanted port noise, which is caused by turbulence from too much air rushing through the port. If it is pointed away from the listener, it is generally less audible than if it is pointed in the direction of the listener.

So, normally, if the port is on a side that is different from the speaker, pointing the port toward a wall is generally a good idea.
Thanks, Jack. I moved this out of the thread to stop distracting from the convo, but this is helpful and what I was looking for.

----------
Denon X4000, B&W 7.1
post #84 of 115 Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot over the past 2 days as I've come to grips with the fact that I'm unhappy with my current bass. I kept telling myself I was happy, but I wasn't. I keep thinking back to when I demo'ed some atmos speakers, one thing I immediately noticed (not from atmos, of course) was that I "felt" the bass and how much of a difference it made. So much so that I was distracted from the demo of the atmos speakers because of it.

Then, my aha moment came when describing to my wife the difference between my 10" JL Audio speakers I had in my car (back before we ever met), and the difference when I upgraded to 12" JL Audios. I distinctly remember the different in some of the low ends bottoming out w/ the 10", but after upgrade, how it made a huge difference in bringing those to life, and I demonstrated the difference (with my voice, lol).

Now, that was clearly related to listening to music in my car, but the theory is the same in terms of what I personally feel like I'm missing right now in movies--I want the crashes, explosions, airplanes, the lower end of soundtracks, etc to really come alive. And while it's not as long/pronounced as a 4-beat low note in a song, the feeling of "wanting" more is consistently dissatisfying (whereas, during the demo in store I mentioned above, it was incredibly satisfying).

@Brad Sobolewski , I'm not suggesting any particular choice/decision (I've made my choice, but haven't ordered it yet), just pointing out to consider what you're really wanting most out of your system and seek a solution accordingly. I can't say what two 10" subs would sound like in my setup, but knowing what I really want to hear, I doubt they could deliver the satisfaction for what I want, but thankfully, my wife is open to me having a larger sub.
Thank you for the personal perspective - I agree it’s hard to know how this all shakes out until you actually listen and feel in your home.
post #85 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I was just in your shoes. I started with one PB-1000, then went to dual PB-1000s. I now have dual PB-2000s. Both models are excellent, with the 2000s being all the better. I recommend everyone budget for duals, whatever you do, unless you can get one big one now and another later - duals are just that much better for me and I think in general. I will never go back to one as the sound of duals has spoiled me, but to each his own - keep in mind different rooms do different things, so duals may not be as huge of a benefit to some.

I took advantage of SVS's 1 year upgrade deal - worked great. I wouldn't otherwise have spent $1500 in subs upfront, as my budget was $1000 as well. I would also consider HSU, Rythmik, and PSA as others have mentioned.

So get what fits your budget but think long term as well, because on the flip side, you can always get bigger and better, and after a few months, a few hundred dollars difference won't seem like much for something you will have for years and years. This forum is not going to help you be conservative in that regard in general either, lol.

On a side note, with small children, there are pros and cons on the grill designs between the two models. The PB-1000s have a flat fabric grill that covers the whole front of the box, so good for coverage but delicate as far as punctures by toys and such. The PB-2000s have a metal grill that is stout and will keep the sub safe even if they get rammed by objects, but the downside is the curved grill design leaves a gaping hole on the top for little hands to reek havoc on the driver. I ended up taping up the gap with black tape and then putting a vine style plant on top of them to cover that up. Looks really good and now adds to the living room like pieces of decorative furniture (could really help the WAF factor for some).
post #86 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Blaster View Post
I was just in your shoes. I started with one PB-1000, then went to dual PB-1000s. I now have dual PB-2000s. Both models are excellent, with the 2000s being all the better. I recommend everyone budget for duals, whatever you do, unless you can get one big one now and another later - duals are just that much better for me and I think in general. I will never go back to one as the sound of duals has spoiled me, but to each his own - keep in mind different rooms do different things, so duals may not be as huge of a benefit to some.

I took advantage of SVS's 1 year upgrade deal - worked great. I wouldn't otherwise have spent $1500 in subs upfront, as my budget was $1000 as well. I would also consider HSU, Rythmik, and PSA as others have mentioned.

So get what fits your budget but think long term as well, because on the flip side, you can always get bigger and better, and after a few months, a few hundred dollars difference won't seem like much for something you will have for years and years. This forum is not going to help you be conservative in that regard in general either, lol.

On a side note, with small children, there are pros and cons on the grill designs between the two models. The PB-1000s have a flat fabric grill that covers the whole front of the box, so good for coverage but delicate as far as punctures by toys and such. The PB-2000s have a metal grill that is stout and will keep the sub safe even if they get rammed by objects, but the downside is the curved grill design leaves a gaping hole on the top for little hands to reek havoc on the driver. I ended up taping up the gap with black tape and then putting a vine style plant on top of them to cover that up. Looks really good and now adds to the living room like pieces of decorative furniture (could really help the WAF factor for some).
Thank you @Bubba Blaster . Of course no reviews mention childproofing but this was exactly the kind of practical info I wanted to hear
post #87 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

$1000 Budget - Dual SVS PB-1000 or single PB-2000

The ol’ upgraditis!!! It will get you every time! My last two years journey...

DefTech ProSub 600 (sold)
DefTech ProSub 800 (returned)
Martin Logan Dynamo 500 (sold)
RSL Speedwoofer 10s (returned)
SVS PB-2000 (returned)
SVS PB-1000 duals (returned)
Hsu VTF-3 MK5 (duals but now have just one since I got BP8080 towers with 12” subs built-in).

Get the “best” biggest sub to start with at the most you possibly want to spend right now then add another identical sub later if needed.

post #88 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 AM

...to answer your question about 10" subs being enough in the long run...

The PB-1000s were adequate and made me proud when listening to them. My wife appreciates good bass, and they completely satisfied her, but I wanted a little bit more, mostly for future proofing.

The PB-2000s are more powerful, impactful, textured, and added more presence and depth, also giving me the headroom that I wanted for the long term (I'm satisfied when I know I've got head room and I'm not going to push them hard a lot and that there is a lot more there when needed if I want to WOW someone). At the same time, I never saw the PB-1000s max out either and they continued to surprise me.

Your question is all a matter of perspective though. For someone with dual 15"s they're probably thinking I'm crazy and don't know what I'm missing. I would also say it depends on your room and how much bass you are looking for, and it depends on where your'e coming from like I mentioned earlier, aka, your expectations.

With the dual PB-1000s (even just a single) there was no point where they were lacking as far as the range of sound they covered, and they hit hard and loud enough to be mostly satisfying for me (especially duals), even in the open scenes of Edge of Tomorrow, as they are very capable subs and cover the LFE range very well for movies - I marvel at how this 10" sub does what it does. And for music, they hit hard and hit clean too, so they satisfied my music tastes as well. I never maxed these out, but I don't listen at reference levels either.

But to scratch that itch for more bass and more head-room (even if I never end up needing it) the PB-2000s really satisfied me for the long term. And there is something to say for head room - bigger drivers that can be just as well controlled and proportionately powered as smaller drivers will give out a bigger, more textured, more life-like sound, as well as obviously hit harder, lower, and offer more presence and impact - in general of course.
post #89 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you @Bubba Blaster . Of course no reviews mention childproofing but this was exactly the kind of practical info I wanted to hear
You're welcome! Glad I could help out! I know what it's like to not know and then get lost in the weeds when trying to decide on a major purchase like these.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #90 of 115 Old 03-06-2018, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

The journey!

I came to this post feeling like I had made a decision between two options - dual SVS PB1000 vs single PB 2000. Staying within my budget I then started looking at the Hsu VTF13 and the HSu 15. Of course, the giant Hsu is on sale. But then... I remembered that I should not lose sight of the fact that I don’t want my children to damage the subwoofer(s).

Many a helpful post help clarify the design of the grill on the SVS models. The larger Hsu has open ports no matter what... so I began to look at the PSA 15V. One of the things that drew me to SVS in the first place was is that it’s in Ohio company, and I live in Ohio, and they have free shipping and a generous audition and return policy.

I can’t justify dual subwoofers at this point - maybe later. But I have come around on the get the best sub you can, within budget, and not regret it.

So, I’ll probably be timing a purchase to the completion of the theater/basement and going with the Single PSA 15v. Why? It is within budget. It is a great 15 inch sub. The port is in the rear and it is down firing making it much more child proof. The company is local and the shipping/return policy is great. It also matches with my modern decor.

Plus I can always add one later to go dual.

Thanks everybody. I’ll definitely post updates and thoughts once everything is done in the next few weeks.
sk373, bear123 and d-rail34 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
dual subwoofers , single subwoofer , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page