Help with my new SVS - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 04-14-2018, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt061880 View Post
Did you get it to work? I also run a 7702 with dual sb4000. In certain stereo mode with lfe only will give you very low sub output so always run it lfe+main. Use xlr cable if you can, I use amazon basic 6ft xlr cable and they work fine. The rca connection I tried gave me very low sub volume, unless you get a Y splitter. I run both of mines at -20db and they do get very loud. Did you plug your sub into sub1 or sub2? If you plug it in sub2 then you need to manually turn on sub2 for it to work.
Actually running both of my subs now. One with XLR cables and the other RCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdizzle77 View Post
Thought I'd follow up on this. I want to be fair to SVS.

So after lots of tweaking I am going with all speakers set to small and just LFE.

To be quite honest, this sub is musical as hell. Love it.

When it comes to movies, is it nicer than what I had before? Sure is. But I'm not blown away with it during movies like I am playing music.

All in all a good upgrade. Still debating if the price is worth it, but sitting here now rocking out, I'm leaning towards a yes.
What is the Marantz sub channel level set to?

What is the subwoofer volume set to?

Do you have different presets for music and movies?

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #63 of 73 Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Please let us know if your issue has been resolved. I know many of our customers by their forum handles, but not all. We'll take care of you and make it right, even if we have to replace the subwoofer with a new unit. Thanks.

I don’t know you, but if I ever meet you in public, I want to shake your hand.

SVS is the ideal customer service business model. Not only great customer service, PRO-ACTIVE customer service!

(It should be noted I have no affiliation with SVS and in fact, only own one item that they make, however, their attention to customer issues is an example to all companies as to what customer service should be)
alwaller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

sub volume is at -10.

different presets for music and movies.

For movies I'd like it turned up a bit more. But then it can't handle certain scenes. Like the tyrannosaur coming out of the paddock in jurassic park. So I put it at a level that can handle the more extreme scenes in movies, and leave it at that.
post #65 of 73 Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
sub volume is at -10.

For movies I'd like it turned up a bit more. But then it can't handle certain scenes. Like the tyrannosaur coming out of the paddock in jurassic park. So I put it at a level that can handle the more extreme scenes in movies, and leave it at that.
OK - understood. If that's the case, you could try a ported 4000-series (which will have 2-4X more output in the 18-36 Hz octave), or an SB16-Ultra, or possibly dual SB-4000s (we would give you duals pricing on the 2nd SB-4000). You can reach out to me at [email protected] if you want to discuss details and options. Thanks.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #66 of 73 Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly have no intention of putting more money into this than I already have.
post #67 of 73 Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
I honestly have no intention of putting more money into this than I already have.
give it a few weeks, to break in, and run some lf test tones thru it every day for 30 minutes or so if you can, to get the thing loosened up
its the tightest woofer ive ever seen on this thing
mine didnt bowl me over the first few weeks, then it finally broke in and seems it doubled in out put
to say its musical is an understatement
ive never heard a sub dance and ride with the music like this thing does
its got sneaky bass for sure.
you think its not doing a whole lot, then back the volume down real quick and your ears will tell you different
ive got 1 week to return mine, and im on the fence about getting the pb 4000 instead for some crazy reason
im 80/ 20 , music to movies .
anybody have any ideas if the pb4000, in sealed mode will be close to the sb 4000, where music is concerned ?
id hate to loose all this tight, perfect, glorious bass this thing has, just to have a little extra oomph on movies when i need it.
post #68 of 73 Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

I've had it nearly two months. With plenty of "break in" time.

It's a good sub. Better than what I had before no doubt. Love it with music.

Fact is it simply isn't this earth shattering force that I thought it was going to be. And that's ok, sometimes the expectation isn't realistic.

Just saying I'm not dumping another grand plus into subs.
post #69 of 73 Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
give it a few weeks, to break in, and run some lf test tones thru it every day for 30 minutes or so if you can, to get the thing loosened up
its the tightest woofer ive ever seen on this thing
mine didnt bowl me over the first few weeks, then it finally broke in and seems it doubled in out put
to say its musical is an understatement
ive never heard a sub dance and ride with the music like this thing does
its got sneaky bass for sure.
you think its not doing a whole lot, then back the volume down real quick and your ears will tell you different
ive got 1 week to return mine, and im on the fence about getting the pb 4000 instead for some crazy reason
im 80/ 20 , music to movies .
anybody have any ideas if the pb4000, in sealed mode will be close to the sb 4000, where music is concerned ?
id hate to loose all this tight, perfect, glorious bass this thing has, just to have a little extra oomph on movies when i need it.
The PB-4000 in sealed mode will have virtually the same FR, phase response and group delay as the SB-4000. It will have somewhat higher dynamic output capability at the deepest frequencies, simply due to its larger cabinet (which requires less equalization boost to achieve the target FR curve).

In Standard ported mode, the PB-4000 will have roughly the following max output advantage over the SB-4000:

40 Hz 1.5X
32 Hz 2X
25 Hz 3X
20 Hz 4X

The only real downside I see here is if your AVR EQs the subwoofer channel (like Audyssey does) the EQ file it builds in Sealed mode will be quite different than the EQ file it builds in Standard mode.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #70 of 73 Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The PB-4000 in sealed mode will have virtually the same FR, phase response and group delay as the SB-4000. It will have somewhat higher dynamic output capability at the deepest frequencies, simply due to its larger cabinet (which requires less equalization boost to achieve the target FR curve).

In Standard ported mode, the PB-4000 will have roughly the following max output advantage over the SB-4000:

40 Hz 1.5X
32 Hz 2X
25 Hz 3X
20 Hz 4X

The only real downside I see here is if your AVR EQs the subwoofer channel (like Audyssey does) the EQ file it builds in Sealed mode will be quite different than the EQ file it builds in Standard mode.

thanks ed, im mostly a 2 channel guy, with an old adcom pre-amp, and an adcom 555 // amp , driving 2 paradigm studio monitor 80 towers in the front, and some smaller bookshelf paradigms off to the sides.
would actually like to get set up on true surround one day, but have no idea how to integrate it into my current system.
movies actually sound pretty good on what i have now !
post #71 of 73 Old 05-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 260
This is my first post here, so for the beginning - big hello to everyone!

If it's not a problem, since the interesting facts for me are mentioned here, I will hijack thread just for a moment

@Ed Mullen
Does this mean that the only drawback for PB-4000 in sealed mode compared to SB-4000 is the size of the cabinet?
If the cabinet size is not an issue PB-4000 is always better pick?

At the moment I have PB10-NSD, but since I've moved to new bigger appartment I need something louder.
I'm torn between PB-4000 and SB16-Ultra. The price in Europe is 300€ lower for PB-4000 - PB-4000 is 2500€ / SB16-Ultra 2800€.
The size of the cabinet is not an issue, but I'm not allowed to watch movies too loud.

- The listening room is ~32 m2 (~3000 cubic feet), but half-open to other parts of the appartment.
- Music / movies ratio is 80 / 20.
- Main speakers (Triangle Iconor / Extan) are very efficient - 92dB/W/m (one of the good aspects of Triangle loudspeakers) and mid-bass is quite good, so for the music I would say that subwoofer is not needed above 50 Hz - speakers have 3x 6,5" mid-bass driver (<250 Hz) + 6,5" mid driver (250-6000Hz).

If PB-4000 can "simulate" SB-4000 in sealed mode - is PB-4000 better choice for me than SB16-Ultra?

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #72 of 73 Old 05-13-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5314 Post(s)
Liked: 9878
Quote:
sub volume is at -10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
This is my first post here, so for the beginning - big hello to everyone!

If it's not a problem, since the interesting facts for me are mentioned here, I will hijack thread just for a moment

@Ed Mullen
Does this mean that the only drawback for PB-4000 in sealed mode compared to SB-4000 is the size of the cabinet?
If the cabinet size is not an issue PB-4000 is always better pick?

At the moment I have PB10-NSD, but since I've moved to new bigger appartment I need something louder.
I'm torn between PB-4000 and SB16-Ultra. The price in Europe is 300€ lower for PB-4000 - PB-4000 is 2500€ / SB16-Ultra 2800€.
The size of the cabinet is not an issue, but I'm not allowed to watch movies too loud.

- The listening room is ~32 m2 (~3000 cubic feet), but half-open to other parts of the appartment.
- Music / movies ratio is 80 / 20.
- Main speakers (Triangle Iconor / Extan) are very efficient - 92dB/W/m (one of the good aspects of Triangle loudspeakers) and mid-bass is quite good, so for the music I would say that subwoofer is not needed above 50 Hz - speakers have 3x 6,5" mid-bass driver (<250 Hz) + 6,5" mid driver (250-6000Hz).

If PB-4000 can "simulate" SB-4000 in sealed mode - is PB-4000 better choice for me than SB16-Ultra?
Hi,

If the thread starter doesn't mind, I will try to kill two birds with one stone and just do a single post. Sometimes, people don't buy quite the right subwoofer for their personal requirements and preferences. That's actually pretty easy to do, as we can't always predict exactly what we need until we get a particular subwoofer in our room to try it. But, the PB4000 will exceed the SB4000 from about 50Hz down (giving up very little above 50Hz) and it will sound virtually identical doing it. It will just play much louder, at lower frequencies, than the SB4000 will. At some frequencies, one PB4000 will produce as much SPL as two or even three SB4000's.

Of course, there is a significant difference in size. Post 28211 on page 941 of the SVS owners' thread puts the size difference in perspective. (These are 16 Ultra's, but the relative size difference will be about the same for the 4000's.)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...hread-941.html

In addition to the difference in cabinet size, the ports enable the PB4000 to produce much greater SPL at low-frequencies than the smaller sealed sub can. It is exactly what someone needs for the Tyrannosaurus Rex scene that was mentioned. The larger ported sub will also produce relatively much greater tactile energy than the sealed sub will, due to the additional particle velocity created by air moving through the ports. That tactile response is part of what makes that particular scene so cool.

The fact that we can use different settings with different amounts of bass boost for movies and music means that the PB4000 can easily handle both. If I wanted more low-frequency SPL, I would definitely get the PB4000. And, for the OP, SVS's trade-in policy makes that dead easy. I know that Ed will help you if you decide that you want to do that.

For Delija, I would definitely recommend the PB4000 over the SB16. You can always turn down the volume on a more powerful subwoofer. But, as the OP has discovered, there are limitations to what you can do with a sub that isn't quite powerful enough. And, the PB4000 will be significantly more powerful than the SB16, with all of the same features.

Regards,
Mike
Delija likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 05-13-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #73 of 73 Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Thanks, Mike.
mthomas47 likes this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page