31Likes

post #31 of 72 Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
Its our bloody dollar. Its all over the place. When its high, dealers in Canada can't sell them, as people run south and buy them. When its low, again, price is through the roof. The cheapest SVS here is average $699, plus 13% taxes in most Provinces. Adds up pretty quick.

Home theatre is big, but we are only 30 Million to your 300 Million. ID companies, with the weight of these things, makes shipping $$$$

It also doesn't help that our high end AV businesses cater to a specific crowd, and thus price at that level. I have seen prices on certain AV products 60-80% higher than the USA, just because of the crowd they cater too. Thats where the money is.
I did see one well regarded company in Canada, Funk Audio. They make absolutely beautiful products but damn they are expensive.

I'm glad you are enjoying the HTS12. I really dig the looks of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 01-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ntwooki3 View Post
I did see one well regarded company in Canada, Funk Audio. They make absolutely beautiful products but damn they are expensive.

I'm glad you are enjoying the HTS12. I really dig the looks of it.
I am a paradigm guy, only because I like supporting a Canadian company, when I can.

So far, with my cheapo subs of past, I have always felt that bass was lacking in scenes.

Playing around with this, as I am still doing the sub crawl, but have been busy with life, I don't have that "feeling" anymore.

I am not an expert reviewer or even knowledgeable enough in audio to do any review. For me, I think the biggest review I can give is, I don't watch something and go, jeez, my sub sucks, or is lacking.
Sask HT likes this.

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
post #33 of 72 Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Its also now on sale for $349 at major retailers. I am thinking about a second one.
Sask HT likes this.

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 Old 02-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
No need to hear it. The specs don’t lie. For almost $500 there’s TONS of better competitors
Keep in mind, the people that PUBLISH the specs (aka: marketing) DO LIE. All. The. Time.

--RRRoamer
post #35 of 72 Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Came across this thread while looking for comparisons between the HTS-12 and Dayton Sub-1200. I'm also located in Western Canada and am dealing with the same issues in my search for a sub with the terrible exchange and shipping / import fees. The wealth of great options available in the US are just so much more expensive here (SVS SB-1000 is $675 on sale here).

Anyway, thought I'd mention that the Dayton Sub-1200 as well as the Sub-1000 and Sub-1500 are available at at retailer called Solen for what seems to be really decent prices comparatively. Granted these are not remotely in the same club or regarded nearly as well as the SVS, HSU, Rhythmik, etc. offerings that are typically recommended around here, but they are also less than a third of the cost (for Canadians).

Solen - Dayton Sub-1200
post #36 of 72 Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I’m also in Canada and the lack of options here really hurts.

I’ve been going to DIY route mostly but also had success finding a BIC F12 for about $300 which made me happy.

I know people shat all over Polk subs but I was blown away by this one when I heard it in the store. I listened to the 12” version. It was intense. My ears were actually bugging me a bit afterwards.

There’s nothing magic in the specs when you read online, but it certainly hit really hard when I listened in the store.

It was actually shocking and almost hard for me to admit how hard it hit. At the time I built two 12” ported Infinity subs tuned to 20 Hz with an iNuke3000 and the Polk shook my guts more.
AmerCa likes this.
post #37 of 72 Old 03-26-2019, 05:20 AM

@Viper359 are you still enjoying it?
post #38 of 72 Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55 View Post
Short Answer: YES

Long answer, absolutely yes. I had a Dayton Audio SUB-1500 running for about two years, and I constantly had this yearning for more. It just never felt right when watching movies et.
I just never felt like I was in a theatre. Switching to this sub, I no longer feel that.

I haven't watched much content recently, but what I have, I have been impressed, so much so, I catch myself smiling at certain bass scenes, or scenes where you get a punch in the gut
with the bass. Even gaming, I have been really impressed. Just got an Xbox one X, and again, smiling.

Is it better than a SVS, HSU, Rhythmik, etc, most likely not. However, I am not sold that I will see 2X, 3X or even 4X the performance from those subs in comparison to this.

Again, this sub has been on sale twice now for $350 Canadian. The CHEAPEST SVS is $650 Canadian. HSU et are even more. Way more once converted and shipped. The Dayton I got at
$150 USD, Refurb, when the dollar was on par, and this thing does circles around it.

I can't measure sub performance, no clue how. I can't say my room is what makes this sub sound so good to my ears. However, what I can say, is, I am very happy. My ears are happy,
my stomach is happy, and, in the end, thats all that really matters.
AmerCa and Sask HT like this.

post #39 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
Quote:
Short Answer: YES

Long answer, absolutely yes. I had a Dayton Audio SUB-1500 running for about two years, and I constantly had this yearning for more. It just never felt right when watching movies et.
I just never felt like I was in a theatre. Switching to this sub, I no longer feel that.

I haven't watched much content recently, but what I have, I have been impressed, so much so, I catch myself smiling at certain bass scenes, or scenes where you get a punch in the gut
with the bass. Even gaming, I have been really impressed. Just got an Xbox one X, and again, smiling.

Is it better than a SVS, HSU, Rhythmik, etc, most likely not. However, I am not sold that I will see 2X, 3X or even 4X the performance from those subs in comparison to this.

Again, this sub has been on sale twice now for $350 Canadian. The CHEAPEST SVS is $650 Canadian. HSU et are even more. Way more once converted and shipped. The Dayton I got at
$150 USD, Refurb, when the dollar was on par, and this thing does circles around it.

I can't measure sub performance, no clue how. I can't say my room is what makes this sub sound so good to my ears. However, what I can say, is, I am very happy. My ears are happy,
my stomach is happy, and, in the end, thats all that really matters.
Very interesting to hear all this. I think some people get a little carried away here touting how great Dayton and some other ID companies are but the 12” polk running circles around your 15” Dayton is interesting. I also agree with you that the money spent on SVS and the like up here in Canada will probably not get you a proportional increase in performance.

I just listened to the 10” version in Best Buy again and AGAIN it irritated my ears a bit. I don’t know what it is about this model but it actually feels uncomfortable to listen to to me. I had a klipsch going at the same level in the store and didn’t feel bothered. Might be a certain frequency that I’m not jiving with.

Really glad to hear you’re still enjoying it! More power to you. It’s always nice to hear stories like these because most of them end up the opposite with thousands of dollars spent haha.
post #40 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 PM

I have to admit, i thought the same about Polk, especially, running circles. I had that psw10 or whatever cheap hunk of junk Polk had years ago, that you could pickup for $200.

Personally, it seems Polk decided that they actually wanted to put out a decent sub, sub $500.

The Dayton i have doesn't come close to slamming my guts like this Polk does. Now, it could be my room for all I know. I just know, when it comes time to hit hard on a scene, this 12" has done the job.

post #41 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper 359
The Dayton i have doesn't come close to slamming my guts like this Polk does. Now, it could be my room for all I know. I just know, when it comes time to hit hard on a scene, this 12" has done the job.
You're definitely not alone. The AVS review for the sub and comments from people that actually had listened to it (not the ones who simply say "Oh, it's Polk, that can't be good") made me go with the 12" instead of a SVS PB1000 (for reasons I've detailed in another post). I've not regretted it, and even when the SVS could go lower, I'm not dissatisfied with neither the extension or quality of the bass.

Like you said, there are certainly better subs, but for the money, it's a great sub for the job if you're on a budget. And yes, this sub can hit pretty hard, but it's also clear and articulated. A bad room can make a good sub sound bad, but I don't think a good room can make a bad sub sound good. At least in this case, the "hype" for this sub is justified. I'm glad to hear you were very satisfied with this Polk as well.
Spectre55 and Sask HT like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #42 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have had the Polk PSW125 for three years and I have been very happy with it. It is the only sub I have owned so I have nothing to compare it to.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #43 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
I have had the Polk PSW125 for three years and I have been very happy with it. It is the only sub I have owned so I have nothing to compare it to.
Almost anything will be better LOL. Sorry, I am chuckling to myself because I owned it for less than a week and then returned it. I bought maybe 6-7 subs from Best Buy trying to see how cheap I could get something that I was happy with. This definitely wasn't it unfortunately. Any either of the two new Polk subs are miles ahead of that one.

If you can get one for cheap, try it out!! And if it's from Best Buy you can always return it if you don't like it or decided it's too expensive.
post #44 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15726
Nice, glad to see all the positive feedback.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #45 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Almost anything will be better LOL. Sorry, I am chuckling to myself because I owned it for less than a week and then returned it. I bought maybe 6-7 subs from Best Buy trying to see how cheap I could get something that I was happy with. This definitely wasn't it unfortunately. Any either of the two new Polk subs are miles ahead of that one.

If you can get one for cheap, try it out!! And if it's from Best Buy you can always return it if you don't like it or decided it's too expensive.
The sound of any sub is highly dependent upon a good installation and a well constructed listening room. If you needed to listen to 6 or 7 different subs then it sounds to me like your room has problems.

LG OLED55C6P
post #46 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The sound of any sub is highly dependent upon a good installation and a well constructed listening room. If you needed to listen to 6 or 7 different subs then it sounds to me like your room has problems.

Orrrrrr all the subs at best buy are garbage? Save for very few that are overpriced??

I was buying ones under $300 CAD to test. I had to up my budget and eventually go DIY to be satisfied. Haven’t looked back since.
post #47 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Orrrrrr all the subs at best buy are garbage? Save for very few that are overpriced??

I was buying ones under $300 CAD to test. I had to up my budget and eventually go DIY to be satisfied. Haven’t looked back since.
My sub gets four out of five stars on Amazon. Not exactly garbage.

LG OLED55C6P
post #48 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

LOLOL also does the PSW10. Please for all things good in the world don’t use Amazon ratings to judge anything.

Just go get one of the new Polks to compare and then return it. You don’t know what you’re missing until you experience it
post #49 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOLOL also does the PSW10. Please for all things good in the world don’t use Amazon ratings to judge anything.

Pssh you can do better... Monoprice's 8" sub? 4.8 stars!
post #50 of 72 Old 03-31-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Pssh you can do better... Monoprice's 8" sub? 4.8 stars!
Hahaha exactly
post #51 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Just go get one of the new Polks to compare and then return it. You don’t know what you’re missing until you experience it
I use the Amazon user reviews to buy most of my purchases and it has never failed me. My sub sounds great. Smooth, loud and plenty of bump. I am thrilled with it. I am not going to order a speaker so I can compare it in my house because of advice of someone on a forum. It would be different if I had a problem with my system, but it sounds dynamite. After three years of intensive listening I am still thrilled with the sound. If there was a problem I would have heard it by now. No reason to try and fix a problem that does not exist.
AmerCa likes this.

LG OLED55C6P
post #52 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I use the Amazon user reviews to buy most of my purchases and it has never failed me. My sub sounds great. Smooth, loud and plenty of bump. I am thrilled with it. I am not going to order a speaker so I can compare it in my house because of advice of someone on a forum. It would be different if I had a problem with my system, but it sounds dynamite. After three years of intensive listening I am still thrilled with the sound. If there was a problem I would have heard it by now. No reason to try and fix a problem that does not exist.
That’s cool man. But the reason people go onto forums is to chat and get advice. I’m assuming that’s why you’re here. I’ve designed and built many subs and also purchased and tested many as well. You wrote that you’ve never had any other sub except the one you own and while you are happy, you have nothing to compare it to. So I might be some guy on a forum but maybe you should value other people’s opinins here. So my advice (again, this is an audio enthusiast forum and this is why we’re here) was to get out and experience other subs and see what you think. In my opinion, that Polk sub sucks big time. And you really cant say otherwise if you’ve never heard anything else LOL.

So take the advice for what it’s worth. This wasn’t meant to be an argument. But if you want to get defensive over it that’s also your call LOL
post #53 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15726
Quote:
That’s cool man. But the reason people go onto forums is to chat and get advice. I’m assuming that’s why you’re here. I’ve designed and built many subs and also purchased and tested many as well. You wrote that you’ve never had any other sub except the one you own and while you are happy, you have nothing to compare it to. So I might be some guy on a forum but maybe you should value other people’s opinins here. So my advice (again, this is an audio enthusiast forum and this is why we’re here) was to get out and experience other subs and see what you think. In my opinion, that Polk sub sucks big time. And you really cant say otherwise if you’ve never heard anything else LOL.

So take the advice for what it’s worth. This wasn’t meant to be an argument. But if you want to get defensive over it that’s also your call LOL
Over the years I have read so many variants of that comment it's insane. So... here's my 2 cents: For the money the Polk is a good sub. It does not "suck big time" and I have a Rythmik G25HP 5 feet away from me pumping out bass right now, and I've build my own multi-sub DIY systems, etc. etc. so my opinion is not what it is for lack of experience. Or for not knowing how to set it up. I don't have those issues.

So forgive me for the intrusion, but putting someone down like that rubs me the wrong way. Yes it's an audio enthusiast forum, which means its OK to be enthused about a perfectly good, competent, affordable sub.
AmerCa and phanttom like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-01-2019 at 06:23 AM.
post #54 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:

I have been an audiophile and built sound rooms since the 60s. I know what good sound sounds like. I did not come here for any advice about my system especially from someone who has never heard my system. What exactly would a different sub do for my system? This one is loud enough, clean and beautiful sounding. I am a lifetime bass player. I know what good bass sounds like. In my lifetime I have heard a million subs in many different places like concerts and audio show rooms. If my sub was lacking in some way I would take your advice. But since the audio sounds perfect to me I see no need to go around and endlessly audition subs.

LG OLED55C6P
post #55 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 06:49 AM

That’s cool. I didn’t mean to put anyone down. Sometimes I forget how sensitive people are these days.

I’ve had people on this forum tell me my ported 12s are a waste of time and money and that I need 18s or I’m an idiot. But they sound fine to me. I never cried and relied to them to tell me how upset I was.

If you like yours, that’s cool. This is a forum. If someone says something that hurts your feelings that’s okay, there are worse things in life.

Have a nice day!
Leon! likes this.
post #56 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Quote:

Yes it's an audio enthusiast forum, which means its OK to be enthused about a perfectly good, competent, affordable sub.
Totally. I love my DIY 12s, no matter how much the DIY forum tells me that I need 18s. Again, if this is something worth replying to, I wish I had your stress free amazing life.
imagic likes this.
post #57 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
That’s cool. I didn’t mean to put anyone down. Sometimes I forget how sensitive people are these days.

I’ve had people on this forum tell me my ported 12s are a waste of time and money and that I need 18s or I’m an idiot. But they sound fine to me. I never cried and relied to them to tell me how upset I was.

If you like yours, that’s cool. This is a forum. If someone says something that hurts your feelings that’s okay, there are worse things in life.

Have a nice day!

I think the thing with subs is, you can be perfectly happy with most budget subs, because generally most do sound okay (as does without a sub entirely). You are just missing a range of frequencies that you otherwise wouldn't know is even available unless directly comparing to the more capable subs. I was booming away in the mid 30's hz with my 12" klipsches, & perfectly happy doing so (though I didn't get defensive with ppl who told me I'm still missing significant content), until I replaced them (kind of, they do still contribute to the system as speaker stands). Now excitedly rewatching every horror scifi action movie to feel all the content I never would had known was there. My favorite quote re: this phenomenon was in the thread where everyone was comparing what happens to their sub in the EOT intro (bottoming out/chuffing/HPF'ing over it entirely), and someone who couldnt figure out what all the fuss was about, because his polk 10" breezes through it.. not even all that heavy a bass sequence.

Re: this particular polk series, it looks great imo! Love the aesthetic of the stand/base/legs design, to give the downfiring port clearance, and the little cone that points into the port just looks cool! Much nicer than most cheaply finished budget boxes that can be eyesores- if I couldn't currently or wouldn't wait until I could swing a more capable sub, at the current sale price of $338 I'd take the HTS 12 over most budget recommendations for this much. Almost the lowest its ever been on amazon. Congrats to everyone getting in on these!
AmerCa likes this.
post #58 of 72 Old 04-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post
Quote:

Have a nice day!

I think the thing with subs is, you can be perfectly happy with most budget subs, because generally most do sound okay (as does without a sub entirely). You are just missing a range of frequencies that you otherwise wouldn't know is even available unless directly comparing to the more capable subs. I was booming away in the mid 30's hz with my 12" klipsches, & perfectly happy doing so (though I didn't get defensive with ppl who told me I'm still missing significant content), until I replaced them (kind of, they do still contribute to the system as speaker stands). Now excitedly rewatching every horror scifi action movie to feel all the content I never would had known was there. My favorite quote re: this phenomenon was in the thread where everyone was comparing what happens to their sub in the EOT intro (bottoming out/chuffing/HPF'ing over it entirely), and someone who couldnt figure out what all the fuss was about, because his polk 10" breezes through it.. not even all that heavy a bass sequence. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: this particular polk series, it looks great imo! Love the aesthetic of the stand/base/legs design, to give the downfiring port clearance, and the little cone that points into the port just looks cool! Much nicer than most cheaply finished budget boxes that can be eyesores- if I couldn't currently or wouldn't wait until I could swing a more capable sub, at the current sale price of $338 I'd take the HTS 12 over most budget recommendations for this much. Almost the lowest its ever been on amazon. Congrats to everyone getting in on these!
All of this. Exactly my point. Ya don’t know whatcha don’t know! I certainly didn’t! I loved my Polk PSW10 until I heard something better! Live and learn.

Back to the original topic. Agree with what you said as well. As much as I originally hated to admit it (had the anti Polk sub burned strong in my mind) these things sound great. Very accurate, deep and have that “liquid” sound. Smooth.

They also look really nice.

I’d say both models are great budget subs, especially in Canada where the higher end stuff is super expensive.

I managed to get a BIC F12 for $280 on hookbag.ca but I think that site has been shut down. I’d say that was a great deal for a budget sub. Since it’s not there anymore I think if you can get either of these Polks on sale you’ll be smiling.
post #59 of 72 Old 04-03-2019, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm looking to upgrade from a Polk PSW505 and I'm considering the HTS-12. Is there anyone here that has owned both and could explain the differences? I'm guessing the HTS goes lower but the PSW505 does have more power so I'm not sure if it would be much of an upgrade.
post #60 of 72 Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
@Sn1per666
It really depends on your budget. Quite frankly, if you want a serious upgrade from your Polk, you should start looking at $600-700+ subs, like the SVS PB-2000. If you want an upgrade, but you're not willing to spend that much, I'd go the $500 route and get a Monolith THX10, which you can get for less than that sometimes during the year. Both the HTS12 and the SVS PB-1000 would be an upgrade (based on specs and from other people's experiences), with the PB-1000 having the edge on the lower frequencies (20-25hz, a bit lower with room gain).

Personally, I'd recommend the first option (more expensive subs) BUT you can get a very good upgrade with the aforementioned options, especially if your budget is a bit tighter, in the case of the HTS12.
Sask HT likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page