JBL JRX118S Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JBL JRX118S Help

So I came upon a couple JBL JRX118S for a price I couldn't turn away. I am going to pick up an Inuke dsp (1000 or 3000?) amp to drive them but I am wondering about the setting I should be using on the amp (crossover, HPF, LPF ect). I am currently using 2 HSU VTF 3 MK4's the JBL's will be used in conjunction with with the HSU subs. I would Like to get them integrated into the system using them for the upper bass ie midbass. here are the specs for the JBL's
Power Rating 350 W / 1400 W
Frequency Range 38 Hz - 300 Hz (-10 dB)
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 597 mm x 516 mm x 559 mm
(23.5 in x 20.3 in x 22 in)
Frequency Response 55 Hz - 300 Hz (±3 dB)
Sensitivity 96 dB SPL
Nominal Impedence 4 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 350 W to 700 W into 4 ohms
Recommended Crossover Settings 30 Hz HPF, 24 dB / octave; 80 - 100 Hz LPF, 24 dB / octave
Maximum SPL 127 dB
Weight 32.2 kg (71 lb)
Low Frequency Driver JBL 2043-G
Input Connectors Neutrik® Speakon® NL-4 (x1); .25 in TS phone jack (x1); parallel

The room that they will be going into is 18x20 8ft ceilings with opening to the kitchen, hallway leading to stairs, and office area pretty much the worst conditions possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. And no I do not have any measuring equipment at the moment, I do plan to pick something up shortly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You are going to need a active crossover of some sort between the HSU subs and the JBL subs. You will also need some measuring equipment to make sure that the HSU and JBL are in phase at the xover point.

This is going to be a fair bit of work to get dialed in correctly. I would probably co-locate the HSU subs in a corner or wherever you can get maximum reinforcement. Then place the JBLs somewhere near the front stage since all the directional bass 45hz+ will be coming from them.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop View Post
You are going to need a active crossover of some sort between the HSU subs and the JBL subs. You will also need some measuring equipment to make sure that the HSU and JBL are in phase at the xover point.

This is going to be a fair bit of work to get dialed in correctly. I would probably co-locate the HSU subs in a corner or wherever you can get maximum reinforcement. Then place the JBLs somewhere near the front stage since all the directional bass 45hz+ will be coming from them.
Yes the JBL's will be located with the my main speakers, I will probably place my L/R on top of them. So If I use the behringer Inuke 3000dsp I could dial in the JBL's. I was thinking that a miniDSP before the HSU subs would let me get them inline with the JBL's and a ton of testing and tweaking with the settings. Would placing the 2 HSU subs near-field help as I know the JBL's will over power them. Also I may be picking up 2 ED a5-350's in a week or so, they have had the org. amp replaced with the bash-s 500 watt amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuht View Post
Yes the JBL's will be located with the my main speakers, I will probably place my L/R on top of them. So If I use the behringer Inuke 3000dsp I could dial in the JBL's. I was thinking that a miniDSP before the HSU subs would let me get them inline with the JBL's and a ton of testing and tweaking with the settings. Would placing the 2 HSU subs near-field help as I know the JBL's will over power them. Also I may be picking up 2 ED a5-350's in a week or so, they have had the org. amp replaced with the bash-s 500 watt amps.
I wouldn't worry about near field placing the HSU, unless that gives the best tactile response. I would try to not have overlapping output bands between the HSU and JBL. If you add the a5-350s run them in parallel with the HSU subs to improve the super low frequency tactile bass.

Let everything 45hz and up play only through the JBL subs. I have a feeling they will operate with less distortion in that range and they have plenty of SPL.

I have done a similar setup to what you are proposing with four sealed 15" subs (using ED woofers) and a pair of vented mid bass subs. I used a Behringer DCX-2496 to tie everything together. It worked fairly well but required quite a bit of setup.

Also don't be afraid to run a very high xover betweem your L/C/Rs and the JBLs. I would try 100hz and up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page