Advice on subwoofer for my living room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Advice on subwoofer for my living room

Hi, years ago I bought a 5.1 Onkyo pack (AVX-390) with all the equipment in pack (with passive SW), worked ok but wanted to improve quality, so I started to change it.

First I bought Polk Audio S35 as central, later Polk Audio S15 for L/R, keeping old Onkyo satellites for surround, finally I bought a new AVR (Sony STR-DN1080) and started without SW as the old one was passive.

Problem is that I have a limitation in space, have a place for the SW on the TV fitment. I found a cheap second hand Elac Debut S10 that I can send back if I don't like it, and seems I'm not liking it much.

Sony calibration puts the subwoofer very very low on level, making me almost feel nothing from it looking on some movies like War of the Worlds, the famous Jurassic Park scene, Star Trek 2009 when the ships go hyperspace... If I up level a lot, like 15 dB then I start feeling the SW, but dunno if it's the good thing to do cause bad calibrated from AVR or it's something else.

The Elac Debut S10 says it can go 35-150, the old passive Onkyo SW was 30-150.

Should I just keep the S10 puting level up myself? Or should I return it and go for another one like the SVS SB-1000 that can go down till 24 Hz? The place I have for the SW in the furniture is just 44 cm x 35 cm x 36 cm (HxWxD) or 17.32" x 13.77" x 14.1". I really wish I had more space to go for the PB-1000 but I can't. I can on movie watching take the SW out from the furniture and place on floor, but can't keep there all time.

I attach a two photos from the TV zona with speakers, the SW placement and the room distances (sorry it's in meters).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, it's not my own language.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180320_071055.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	902.0 KB
ID:	2377846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180320_071131.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	2377848   Click image for larger version

Name:	23j0tvc.png
Views:	34
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2377850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
The first thing I would do is...
- a sub crawl; or
- try out the sub in few different spots (green squares on diagram; also, under the desk at the left side of the TV console),
...to see if the poor response is due to the current location (inside the TV console).

If the current location is not to blame, a different sub may work better in that spot. If it is to blame, getting a different sub likely won't solve your problem and, instead, you may want to consider placing the sub in one of the better locations and, if necessary, adding a wireless kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2377890  

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 03-20-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page