AVS Forum banner

$1k Subwoofer for Small 1500Cu/Ft Dedicated HT Room

5K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  TheZoof 
#1 · (Edited)
1. Your budget. $1000 range total (either 2 $500 or single $1k).

2. Size requirements/limits. None, dedicated room.

3. Room dimensions. 10ft x 14ft x 10ft ceilings.

4. Primary uses. 90% HT, 10% Music.

5. Listening habits. I've never had a real HT subwoofer beyond the $150 range, so I'm not really sure. I used to be big into car audio and was a huge basshead, but I really really loved the sound of a great sealed sub. I would prefer to be able to hit reference levels cleanly.

6. Appearance requirements. I would prefer something finished nicely, but realistically, no requirements here.

7. Timeframe. Plenty of time, house won't be ready until end of year. Just trying to plan out the system.

While I know that typically ported subwoofers are going to be better for HT, in this particular situation with such a small room, could I rely on room gain with a $1000 sealed sub to really get that low end punch you need for HT while still keeping the accuracy and mid range punch of a sealed sub?

It's also entirely possible I'll be limited to wall mounted speakers for various reasons, but if that's the case, it'll end up being crossed at about 120hz (GoldenEar SuperSat 60's or similar), so a subwoofer that can reach up a bit higher than normal would be very beneficial.

Originally I was debating the HSU VTF-15H MK2 and PSA 15V, but after much thought, I think I might be better served by the HSU ULS-15 MK2 or PSA 15S instead. Both of those sealed subwoofers should reach extremely low in my tiny room and provide more than enough output to hit reference levels while still giving me that tight bass I really enjoy.

Thoughts?

EDIT: If I go with an expensive single sub, I would eventually look at a second, but it would be way down the road.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, your room is small enough where room gain could make a sealed sub work real well and since you seem to really like that sound, that is good direction for you. ULS-15 and PSA 15s are both fine choices. I'd add the Rythmik L22 as another choice for sealed (Rythmik has stated that overall output is on par with F15HP, but it lacks some of the features of that sub).

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually looked at the L22, but it scares me since its amp isn't exactly friendly above 100hz, which I *might* end up needing. I'm considering ways to avoid that at all costs, but it's still a possibility. The F12 with its updated amps allowing higher frequencies, however, is most certainly on the table. So I suppose we can add that one in the mix!

#6 ·
Great. Considering your stated preference for the sealed sound, you have a good list. You won't find anything better under $1000 outside those three for a sealed. Which one will come down to your preference. PSA has the best warranty out of those three and the owner himself handles all communications (you can ask him just about anything and has even recommended other brands of subs), which is kind of cool, and they have the made in the USA thing going if that is important to you. They have a trade-in policy as well. The Hsu has proven to be a great sub for many people. The L22 is most likely the most musical, though difference is probably pretty small and has the servo tech and gives you a different form factor. The height is actually perfect for speaker stands if you do two. It's also the least expensive when taking shipping cost into account. You can't go wrong with any of the three so just pick the one that seems to hit most of what you want.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input! I've heard plenty about the PSA customer service and that may end up being my deciding factor here.

I have dual PSA 15Vs in my 1,400 cu ft room and love them but they’re too much sub. 15Ss would probably have been better because of their smaller size.

But if I ever move to a larger room, I’ll have peace of mind that I can hit reference levels down to 16hz. But it’s really mostly peace of mind [emoji1]
I appreciate the real world feedback... I suspected those huge ported woofers would end up being just a bit too much for me. I do love bass, but just don't know that I need THAT much! This room will be in a brand new house we're building, so hopefully I won't be moving anytime soon... but if I do, I suppose that's just another reason to shop again :D

#7 ·
I have dual PSA 15Vs in my 1,400 cu ft room and love them but they’re too much sub. 15Ss would probably have been better because of their smaller size.

But if I ever move to a larger room, I’ll have peace of mind that I can hit reference levels down to 16hz. But it’s really mostly peace of mind [emoji1]

#9 ·
Using a sealed Rythmik F15 in a 1300 cubic feet room. I added an inexpensive ported Klipsch nearfield and the effect was nothing short of awesome. I like sealed subs for music, but there is something about ported subs that makes movies more enjoyable, there is more tactile feel.

#17 ·
It doesn't sound/feel goofy with one ported and one sealed in the same room?

2 x SVS SB12-NSD ($450/ea., shipped, from amazon.com)
- 12" driver
- 400W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 23-270Hz +/-3dB (but cabin gain should provide strong sub-20Hz extension)
This is tempting... I'm considering 2 cheaper subs but at the same time, I could always just get one nice one now and another nice one down the line somewhere... decisions decisions.

My vote would be for HSU VTF-15H MK2 , get the best sub and don't look back. You can always turn down the bass if it gets too much for you in that room. Do not end up doing like myself and countless others have done in the past and get something that is just ok. You will find yourself searching for something better down the road and it will be very costly trying to returns subs. Trust me cause I went thru 8 subs in a 2yr span and the cost just got wayyy out of hand. Get it right the first time so you don't have to look back and wonder. Curiosity destroyed the cat ;)
I mean none of the subs I've mentioned area really "Just OK" I don't think... (at least by my definition) mostly a matter of sealed vs ported at this point. I really like that the VTF-15H MK2 can do both, but at the same time, I'd almost rather just get a really good dedicated sealed woofer. I do think that's the one I'll pick if I go ported though.

My room is only a little larger and I would like to have at least 2 of my SVS PC12+ subs. You still get room gain with ported subs plus you'll get a lot more tactile response and output around port tune.
Stop tempting me :p

My vote would be for a pair of JBL L8400P, on sale for $499 each.
12" woofer, sealed 600 watts RMS.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/refurbi...audio&dwvar_L8400P___color=Black--Refurbished
Noted... I've always heard so much about JBL being great, but rarely hear them mentioned around here, it always seems to be the ID companies. Mostly just more cost effective I suppose?

PSA's other-worldly customer service and trade-in policies make them a natural fit for your needs, IMO. Chat with Tom V. on his site to determine which subs. Don't be afraid to go with B-stock. You save money and still get the as-new 5-year warranty. My first 4 real subs were PSA.

My 2nd recommendation is Rythmik. Their customer service is top-class as well. I have found their subs superior for music and PSA better for movies. They do both well for music & movies but that is they way they lean from my (and most's) perspective. I own a Rythmik FV18 and I'm about to purchase another to pair in a $50,000 room. They are that good!
Thanks for the suggestions!

I second Marc's comments about PSA.
I'm running a pair of S3000i myself and they are spectacular. However I think running dual subs is very important and a $1000 budget isn't going to cut it for a pair of PSA subs.

Now if you could add a second one later..
That's certainly in the cards, but would be considerably down the road so I'd be running single sub for quite a while.

That’s what I did: started with one, added a second after I’d saved my pennies.
More than likely the route I'll take...

Hopefully replied to everyone. Didn't have much time last night to post.

#11 ·
My vote would be for HSU VTF-15H MK2 , get the best sub and don't look back. You can always turn down the bass if it gets too much for you in that room. Do not end up doing like myself and countless others have done in the past and get something that is just ok. You will find yourself searching for something better down the road and it will be very costly trying to returns subs. Trust me cause I went thru 8 subs in a 2yr span and the cost just got wayyy out of hand. Get it right the first time so you don't have to look back and wonder. Curiosity destroyed the cat ;)

#18 ·
How many seating locations do you have and how are they laid out in the room? I ask because for a dedicated home theater room it may be better to go with 2 subs for a more even room response. Two Monolith THX Select 10's for $950 would be a great option. Plus they can be operated sealed or ported to suit your preference.

#21 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, it won't be an ideal room due to the small space and the need for my computer desk to also fit in here (bottom rectangle on the image). But more than likely, it will look like this: https://i.imgur.com/KkvYRSu.png. Entirely possible that two subs would be better, but I'm unsure.

I was in a similar situation at the beginning of the year. I got lucky and was able to buy a PSA XS-30se from their outlet. Bass is super clean sounding and plenty of power to affect my entire house with alone my room. My recommendation since you need to wait anyway is check their outlets and others you are considering on a nightly basis. From what I noticed the good deals like that go fast. I feel if my model was still being offered new it would easily command $1000+ yet I got below and still got a 5 year warranty. Tom was live chatting with me a 9:00 in the evening when I bought and arranged shipping with me so I could ensure I would be home for delivery.
Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly start watching for deals.

Yes, B-stock PSA can get you some deals on the old models. True, they are actually used, but you still get the full 5 year warranty, the trial period, and they treat them as if it is a new purchase. Most of them go pretty fast. I love my XV15se with base.
No problem with slightly used on my end for a decent discount!

#19 ·
I was in a similar situation at the beginning of the year. I got lucky and was able to buy a PSA XS-30se from their outlet. Bass is super clean sounding and plenty of power to affect my entire house with alone my room. My recommendation since you need to wait anyway is check their outlets and others you are considering on a nightly basis. From what I noticed the good deals like that go fast. I feel if my model was still being offered new it would easily command $1000+ yet I got below and still got a 5 year warranty. Tom was live chatting with me a 9:00 in the evening when I bought and arranged shipping with me so I could ensure I would be home for delivery.

#23 ·
The 15s in the outlet is only $50 off. Personal preference, but I would rather have a new one when the price difference is only around 5%. At 10%-15% off it makes it a little more worthwhile going b-stock.

#24 · (Edited)
With just the one couch and it being fairly close to a wall, one sub may give you pretty good seating coverage.

I can say that the Monolith subs are amazing for music and home theater, playing as clean and accurate as anything you'll find in their price ranges. The $500 Monolith THX Select 10 is THX reference level rated for rooms up to 2000 ft^3 and a 10-12ft distance. In other words, this sub is tailor-made for your room size and distance. I would buy one of these and that may very well be all you need, thus saving yourself half of your initial budget. If not, add a second one and enjoy the benefits of duals. I have the Monolith 12" and it's the best 12" sub I've ever run across.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=24456&seq=1&format=2

Reactions: sunPin
#25 · (Edited)
Why? You save money and still get the full warranty and perks. PSA don't sell scratch -n- dent stuff like SVS. I'm sure it's like new. With the 15s he gets a 60 day trial and hassle free return. I would be curious to see what kind of hassle it takes to return the Mono10 if he decides it's not for him? hopefully if won't take 6 attempts like another member that tried to return one.

#34 ·
PSA don't sell scratch -n- dent stuff
Yes they do. Often the discount in the outlet is relative to the physical condition. They definitely don't sell anything with major flaws (most of the time you won't even notice) but outlet items are not always perfect. Flaws are often shown on the Facebook page or in the chat.

Something only $50 off is most likely like-new, I'd agree.

#26 ·
But he will have to pay return shipping in the trial period to be clear. I bought B-stock and ended up with one with damage, but turned out it was shipping damage - it just wasn't immediate apparent from outside of box. Tom took care of me and made sure I was satisfied (he is top notch). They usually count scratch and dent as C-stock and reduce the price pretty far down I guess (he told me that the damage on mine would make it F-stock and it would never be sold like that), but those only pop up very rarely. Regardless, it would be good for the OP to contact Tom and tell him his needs. Tom will be happy to give whatever advice is needed without obligation.

#27 ·
PSA 15S or S1500 would be a very good choice for around $1000. I wouldn't buy two $500 subs. Start with the best one you can get for your budget.

Another contender would be the Hsu ULS15.2 for similar performance and price.

Having said that, the idea that you need a sealed sub for good mid bass punch or sound quality rather than ported is a misconception. If you take a similar ported and sealed sub such as PSA's S1500(15S) or V1500, the V1500 will have equivalent or better sound quality than the sealed, and higher output across the entire frequency range with lower distortion. It will have double to triple the output around port tune in the 16-30 Hz region, but will maintain an output advantage up much higher in the frequency range due to the larger cab, and will have more output down into the low teens, at which point any output advantage the sealed sub may have by 10 Hz or so will be rather meaningless.

IMO, the only real advantage the sealed sub will have is smaller and cheaper. It will sound just as good on most music as the ported sub, but have a huge disadvantage in output down low. Also, a sealed sub at the same SPL level will be felt much less than a ported sub.

I have two sealed subs in my room, but they are large, powerful, 18" sealed subs with above reference level capability at all frequencies, which is more than I use. So I have no need for the extra output around tune that ported subs would give me. Just saying, Im not against sealed subs. But with a somewhat limited budget, ported subs are better in basically every way other than size and cost(since larger and more expensive to ship).

Sealed subs still might be the right choice for you since with two in your small room, you might have enough output to meet your needs.

#31 ·
#40 ·
I would recommend a Syzygy sub. The mobile app makes setup fairly easy and it really packs a kick for the value.

Hello,

I ran across your post while researching Syzygy Subs. I just ordered a Syzygy SLF870 after speaking with Paul Egan the CEO of the company. He was very informative and seemed to know what he was talking about. Can you give me some feedback on how you like your 870. What size your room is and what you are predominantly using it for?

Thanks much in advance!

PG55

#32 ·
Any interest in building your own? I had NEVER built pretty much anything in my life, but building four of these Dayton combos, with a great driver, was a breeze. I did not bother to "pretty it up", sinec my subs are hidden in the room at the mid points, but that can be done easily and there are many threads here about it.

Here is the kit... if you are intersted, I can show you the screws and small items to add. I also bought a 2 channel Behringer amp for each two subs... gives me correct phase / distance control and an PAREQ if I wanted it.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.