Large volume room: single Hsu VTF-3 MK5 vs. dual Emotiva BasX S12's? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Large volume room: single Hsu VTF-3 MK5 vs. dual Emotiva BasX S12's?

Hey everyone, thank you ahead of time for your assistance!

I'm throwing together a 5.x HT/music system for my father and having some difficulty with subwoofer selection.

The large family room he's using has 20' vaulted ceilings and is also open to a large kitchen, dining room, and massive foyer. To overcome such a large volume space, I think we'll need some serious boom...on a limited budget.

I have a budget of about $800 for the subwoofer(s), so I'm leaning towards one of the following solutions (or something similar):

1. A single Hsu VTF-3 MK5 ($799)
2. A pair of Emotiva BasX S12's ($798)

Which of these do you recommend? Or, is there an even better option that I haven't considered yet?

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
palehorse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2418
Without knowing room dimensions, it still sounds like you have a very large overall space to fill. While dual subs do help to even out the peaks and nulls, dual basx s12's would probably be overmatched by a big, open area. The vtf-3.5 will have more output and extension, but even it may have it's performance limited by the overall space. I would go with the vtf-3.5 and have the possibility if adding a second one down the road. It's currently on sale for $855/shipped.
palehorse and KidHorn like this.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 308
The single Vtf3 will still have more output than dual Basx S12s as well as more extension. Considering size of space, I'd go with the VTF3 now and plan to add a 2nd down the road.

For reference, Brent Butterworth's test of BasX S12 at one meter peak shows a 40-63 hz average of 117.4 db and 20-31 hz average of 107.9. Now Brent did not test the VTF3, but did test the VTF15 Mk 2. The VTF 3 is within 0.5 db of the VTF 15 in 40-63 hz range and within 1.5 db in 20-31 according to Hsu. Brent's figures for the VTF15 are 40-63 hz at 126.9 db and 20-31 hz at 119.9. Therefore, the estimated difference between a single Basx S12 and a VTF3 is 9 db in the 40-63 hz range and 10.5 db in the 20-31 hz range. Given the logarithmic nature of db measurement, that means the VTF3 has as much output as three BASX S12.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OJU/edit#gid=0

Output is not everything, but you wouldn't be giving anything up in musicality going with Hsu either in my opinion.

A single Hsu VTF3 is likely still well undersized if the space is as big as I think it is from your brief description.
palehorse and MIX_MASTER_ICE like this.
bargugl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,737
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked: 1880
be concerned with large rooms and no bass...I wouldnt recommend anything less than a rythmik fv15hp.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #5 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Without knowing room dimensions, it still sounds like you have a very large overall space to fill. While dual subs do help to even out the peaks and nulls, dual basx s12's would probably be overmatched by a big, open area. The vtf-3.5 will have more output and extension, but even it may have it's performance limited by the overall space. I would go with the vtf-3.5 and have the possibility if adding a second one down the road. It's currently on sale for $855/shipped.
That is a very good reason (and plan) to go with the single larger sub that I hadn't considered.

With the single sub solution, I will also spec larger L/R towers to provide a little help with some lows. If that's not enough, we can revisit the issue and perhaps as a twin next year.

His family room is definitely a challenge. It's just massive compared to the tiny rooms I've built out for myself in the past; and his vaulted ceilings + windows are preventing me from going with a more amazing 7.x.x solution (sadface).

$855 shipped, you say? I can dig it.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
palehorse is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
The single Vtf3 will still have more output than dual Basx S12s as well as more extension. Considering size of space, I'd go with the VTF3 now and plan to add a 2nd down the road.

For reference, Brent Butterworth's test of BasX S12 at one meter peak shows a 40-63 hz average of 117.4 db and 20-31 hz average of 107.9. Now Brent did not test the VTF3, but did test the VTF15 Mk 2. The VTF 3 is within 0.5 db of the VTF 15 in 40-63 hz range and within 1.5 db in 20-31 according to Hsu. Brent's figures for the VTF15 are 40-63 hz at 126.9 db and 20-31 hz at 119.9. Therefore, the estimated difference between a single Basx S12 and a VTF3 is 9 db in the 40-63 hz range and 10.5 db in the 20-31 hz range. Given the logarithmic nature of db measurement, that means the VTF3 has as much output as three BASX S12.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OJU/edit#gid=0

Output is not everything, but you wouldn't be giving anything up in musicality going with Hsu either in my opinion.

A single Hsu VTF3 is likely still well undersized if the space is as big as I think it is from your brief description.
Great info!

Yeah, I'm beginning to think we're just going to have to plan for future upgrades when the money is available. In the meantime, some decent towers and the single VTF3 may have to suffice for as much low range as possible.

I'd push for a second sub now, but I think the remainder of his overall system budget would be better spent on higher quality towers+center, and then add the second sub later once the budget allows.

Would you agree?

l just need to find better towers now...hmm

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by palehorse; 05-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.
palehorse is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
be concerned with large rooms and no bass...I wouldnt recommend anything less than a rythmik fv15hp.
Unfortunately, that beautiful sub would really annihilate our budget.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
palehorse is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 05-02-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,737
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked: 1880
i have a large space, 20k cuft about...2x12 in velodynes did nothing.
palehorse likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #9 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
While there are some mixed opinions most people will say there is not a major advantage of towers over bookshelves when combining with capable subs unless playing at relatively high volumes. When crossed around the standard 80hz you are not gaining much from the low end of towers. So if you went the bookshelf route you could either save more money for another sub or get relatively better quality speakers for the same price.
palehorse and KidHorn like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 129
+1... Skip the towers and go with 5 identical LCRs or bookshelves. Then throw the extra coin to the subwoofers. I understand everyone's recommendation of going with 1 bigger sub now and then adding a second down the road. However I know for me that would never work (I would never be allowed to buy a second down the road). I just get the best pair of subs I can get right from the start. I would put as much of your budget towards the subs as possible. If you can get your sub budget up to $1200-$1600 then you could get either dual 12" or 15" subs from Hsu, Outlaw, Monoprice Monolith, SVS, or Rythmik.
mdameron and palehorse like this.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you for the advice! Now you've got me reconsidering the entire speaker solution. Oh boy...lol

I know this subforum is dedicated to subwoofers, but how inappropriate would it be for me to use this thread to post my entire speaker plan for feedback? I guess it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, so here goes...

I've got $2750 to work with for the entire 5.1 or 5.2 speaker arrangement in this large volume room. This system will be used primarily for loud HT (action movies), but the owner will also play a lot of music at low/moderate volumes (primarily classical and classic rock) every day. The entire setup will be powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701.

Here's my current plan, but I'm open to any/all suggestions:

SUBWOOFER: Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP ($760)
FRONT L/R: Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Towers ($1000/pr)
CENTER: Emotiva Airmotiv C2 ($370)
REAR SURROUND: Emotiva Airmotiv E2 ($460/pr) (planning to experiment with di/bipole setting to see which works best in the space)

TOTAL: ~$2590 + shipping

Please note that any alternative solution involving bookshelf speakers will need to include the price for stands/wallmounts in that $2750. Also note that I can't wait for parts on the used markets, as this entire system needs to be ordered in the next few days.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please and thank you!

Last edited by palehorse; 05-03-2018 at 09:56 AM.
palehorse is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,421
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6148 Post(s)
Liked: 5373
^^^

While it is perfectly fine to ask for speaker advice in this thread, you will probably get much more response if you start a new thread in the Speakers section.
palehorse likes this.
Alan P is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,594
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 651
HSU VTF-3.5 and 5x CCB-8 speakers $2499.00: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hp-CCBpkg.html

Or get the 3.1 package and get HB-2 bookshelf speakers for surround duty. Or add another VTF-3.5...
palehorse and jjackkrash like this.
sigpig is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For reference, please see the attached drawing.

(MS Paint FTW!)

Last edited by palehorse; 05-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.
palehorse is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
While there are some mixed opinions most people will say there is not a major advantage of towers over bookshelves when combining with capable subs unless playing at relatively high volumes. When crossed around the standard 80hz you are not gaining much from the low end of towers. So if you went the bookshelf route you could either save more money for another sub or get relatively better quality speakers for the same price.
Could I address that crossover issue by doing some sort of bi-amp magic and lower the crossover for the woofers in the towers to their rated 35Hz (or maybe 50); or, will doing so completely muddle (screw up) the bass comIng from the Hsu sub?

I'm not even sure that's possible with the proposed equipment, so it's just a thought.
palehorse is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
Could I address that crossover issue by doing some sort of bi-amp magic and lower the crossover for the woofers in the towers to their rated 35Hz (or maybe 50); or, will doing so completely muddle (screw up) the bass comIng from the Hsu sub?

I'm not even sure that's possible with the proposed equipment, so it's just a thought.
There is no crossover "issue". This is just proper bass management even if you have large speakers/towers. Good subs will almost always be more capable of reproducing the lower frequencies cleaner and with higher SPL so you want them to handle the brunt of the work. That's their purpose in life. Additionally doing so takes strain off the speakers and amp (low frequencies require the most power) and may allow them to better play the higher frequencies. Typical recommendations for crossovers are 80Hz or higher regardless of speaker capability although some people will go as low as 60Hz. Also crossover is not a brick wall. The speakers will still play those lower frequencies but at lower and lower SPL as the frequency decreases. Now you can set AVR to send all frequencies to main speakers AND utilize subs (often called "double bass") but most people recommend against this partially due to above reasons but also there are likely to be cancellation effects.
jjackkrash likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 05-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.
confinoj is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
There is no crossover "issue". This is just proper bass management even if you have large speakers/towers. Good subs will almost always be more capable of reproducing the lower frequencies cleaner and with higher SPL so you want them to handle the brunt of the work. That's their purpose in life. Additionally doing so takes strain off the speakers and amp (low frequencies require the most power) and may allow them to better play the higher frequencies. Typical recommendations for crossovers are 80Hz or higher regardless of speaker capability although some people will go as low as 60Hz. Also crossover is not a brick wall. The speakers will still play those lower frequencies but at lower and lower SPL as the frequency decreases. Now you can set AVR to send all frequencies to main speakers AND utilize subs (often called "double bass") but most people recommend against this partially due to above reasons but also there are likely to be cancellation effects.
Thank you for that explanation!

Question...when you switch the receiver to stereo mode, does it ignore the crossover point and send full range to only the front R/L channels?
palehorse is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
Thank you for that explanation!

Question...when you switch the receiver to stereo mode, does it ignore the crossover point and send full range to only the front R/L channels?
I'm mostly familiar with how Denon AVRs work but I suspect most are similar. On the Denons the default with stereo playback is they utilize the same bass management which most prefer but you can customize what happens in stereo mode and choose to disable the sub and send full range signal to mains.
palehorse likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
I second the idea of getting bookshelves over towers. You can hang many on the wall and forego the stands.
palehorse likes this.
KidHorn is online now  
post #20 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I second the idea of getting bookshelves over towers. You can hang many on the wall and forego the stands.
If I go that route, I may just use corner shelves at all four corners. (Although, that may look kinda silly at ear height... not sure) Maybe stands for the front and shelves for the rear? Hmmm

I'll need to mount them more securely, but something like this from Home Depot might do the trick. They come in both 12" and 18" sizes:
palehorse is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I'm mostly familiar with how Denon AVRs work but I suspect most are similar. On the Denons the default with stereo playback is they utilize the same bass management which most prefer but you can customize what happens in stereo mode and choose to disable the sub and send full range signal to mains.
I guess it's time for me to dig farther into the Pioneer user manual.
palehorse is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,936
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
Thank you for that explanation!

Question...when you switch the receiver to stereo mode, does it ignore the crossover point and send full range to only the front R/L channels?
IMO go for the towers. Even using a crossover of 80-120hz they're going to have more mid bass output, they look nicer (IMO) and will play slightly louder.

Also there's always the option to run them full range with the sub- called double bass or LFE +mains or similar depending on the brand of AVR. I know that's frowned upon around here but I run my system like that most of the time. I change over to using the mains with a crossover only when cranking some action movies because my AVR is only 45 watts/channel. A lower volumes having the extra output from the towers seems to provide a more enveloping feeling of bass, and because when watching TV many of the shows don't have enough bass to keep the subs on so the towers are there to provide what little bass the show has.

As for the sub not being enough for the huge space, sub measurements from places like databass conduct their testing outdoors, basically infinite cubic feet. Yet there is still bass. Go figure.

The only issue with really large spaces is getting enough output at really low frequencies, otherwise you'll still get a great experience to around the -3db point of the sub(s) you're looking to get. As long as the sub(s) are within some normal distance to the listening position and the placement is good, you'll be fine.
palehorse and MIX_MASTER_ICE like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,737
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked: 1880
well my towers can hit 110db and subs 127db...if I replaced towers with bookshelves, I would think the bookshelves wouldnt be able to jam/fill the room as well. but if listen at low db/spl...sure why not.
palehorse and unretarded like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #24 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
If I go that route, I may just use corner shelves at all four corners. (Although, that may look kinda silly at ear height... not sure) Maybe stands for the front and shelves for the rear? Hmmm
Corners usually suck for non-subwoofer speaker placement. Corner loading boosts bass frequencies more than treble frequencies and makes it more difficult to level match.
palehorse likes this.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 107
How about the dropping the towers from T2 to T1 and going with E1? You can get a pair of Rythmik LVX12 in there.

Emotiva T1 $699.00
Emotiva C2 $369.00
Emotiva E1 $269.00
2 x Rythmik LVX12 $1,398.00
Total $2,735.00

The Rythmik LVX12 is also a solid choice if you're comparing with the HSU VTF-3 MK5. You can also go off-brand on surrounds (gasp!) and get Fluance Signature BiPoles. This would give you bipoles on the cheap.
palehorse likes this.
khurramtm is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by khurramtm View Post
How about the dropping the towers from T2 to T1 and going with E1? You can get a pair of Rythmik LVX12 in there.

Emotiva T1 $699.00
Emotiva C2 $369.00
Emotiva E1 $269.00
2 x Rythmik LVX12 $1,398.00
Total $2,735.00

The Rythmik LVX12 is also a solid choice if you're comparing with the HSU VTF-3 MK5. You can also go off-brand on surrounds (gasp!) and get Fluance Signature BiPoles. This would give you bipoles on the cheap.
How would the dual LVX12's compare to a single VTF-15H MK2 (which is a step up from the previously mentioned VTF-3.5)?

I'm also now on the fence with the whole Emotiva setup and considering an all-Hsu package instead (5 x CCB8's + VTF-15H).

Those Fluance surrounds do look interesting; as do the new low-profile Elacs.

I hate this "flying blind" feeling. It's not how I usually do things with tech, but my father wants this HT done yesterday. Uhg...
palehorse is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Corners usually suck for non-subwoofer speaker placement. Corner loading boosts bass frequencies more than treble frequencies and makes it more difficult to level match.
If I go with stands, I would definitely have some good space to work with for placement. I'm leaning that direction at the moment.
palehorse is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2418
The Rythmik LVX12 isn't really very comparable to the 15" HSU VTF-3 mk5 hp. It's actually very comparable to the $607/shipped HSU VTF-2 mk5.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
How would the dual LVX12's compare to a single VTF-15H MK2 (which is a step up from the previously mentioned VTF-3.5)?

I'm also now on the fence with the whole Emotiva setup and considering an all-Hsu package instead (5 x CCB8's + VTF-15H).

Those Fluance surrounds do look interesting; as do the new low-profile Elacs.

I hate this "flying blind" feeling. It's not how I usually do things with tech, but my father wants this HT done yesterday. Uhg...
I haven't heard the HSU but I have a friend with an open plan house (single story) and we installed a pair of LVX12. They don't struggle a bit in that space then again he's not aiming to rattling the neighbor's dishes. Rythmik's being servo driven, they sound really fast and tight. Unfortunately, he lives 3 hours away so I haven't heard his setup in a few months. The HSU pair is more expensive and shipping doesn't seem to be included so it's more money. You can't go wrong with the HSU package, just have to find nice looking stands for them.
khurramtm is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 05-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The Rythmik LVX12 isn't really very comparable to the 15" HSU VTF-3 mk5 hp. It's actually very comparable to the $607/shipped HSU VTF-2 mk5.
Exactly. Different class. The correct Rythmik sub to compare with the Hsu VTF15 is the Rythmik FVX15. Maybe the smaller class is enough sub for the OP, but on the other hand you may find yourself always asking, what if?

As far as VTF15 vs VTF3.5 - Honestly there is not much difference. Same amp, same driver, just the VTF15 has a bit bigger box which gives just a tad more extension and a bit more output below 30 hz. Above 30 hz, they might as well be the same sub, and the extra 2db at 20 and 1 db at 25 hz may not be obvious to the vast majority of people.

Dual VTF3.5 is the biggest value play you can make if you want duals now.
MIX_MASTER_ICE and palehorse like this.

Last edited by bargugl; 05-04-2018 at 01:17 PM.
bargugl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off