Brand New JL Audio F113v2 , big audible noise when doing “20Hz” Testing ! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By jamiebosco
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By tangcoma
  • 1 Post By Dave-T
  • 4 Post By tangcoma

post #1 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Brand New JL Audio F113v2 , big audible noise when doing “20Hz” Testing !

Hi , everyone , I just purchased 2 of the brand new F113v2 yesterday ! But when I do a Test Tone Testing on both , one of my F113v2 seem to be broken ! The test is under same volume, same level , same setting on both F113v2 ! I am using Soundoctor Test/Set Up CD , track 17” 20Hz“ to do the test ! I have also tried to exchange the XLR cable on both , the one which make big clicking noise is the same ! When I hit up 5dB more , the one which is good is still good , but the one is bad is extremely loud ! Here is the video on YouTube which I made for showing the problem ! Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Is it defective? is It normal ?

Last edited by tangcoma; 05-10-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma View Post
Hi , everyone , I just purchased 2 of the brand new F113v2 yesterday ! But when I do a Test Tone Testing on both , one of my F113v2 seem to be broken ! The test is under same volume, same level , same setting on both F113v2 ! I am using Soundoctor Test/Set Up CD , track 17” 20Hz“ to do the test ! I have also tried to exchange the XLR cable on both , the one which make big clicking noise is the same ! When I hit up 5dB more , the one which is good is still good , but the one is bad is extremely loud ! Here is the video on YouTube which I made for showing the problem ! Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Is it defective? is It normal ?

https://youtu.be/L0sbgAGuGdM

What I seem to hear on the speaker you call broken, is a click that feels like vibration of some hard materials. With how the speaker is sitting and the device on top of it, and near the blinds, it could just be vibration between some of these objects, unless it’s from inside the speaker itself. At my place, one my picture frames vibrates during certain movie scenes, and keeping it off the wall makes the noise go away. Without proper isolation of things in your test environment, it may be hard to say what the noise is from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by viorel View Post
What I seem to hear on the speaker you call broken, is a click that feels like vibration of some hard materials. With how the speaker is sitting and the device on top of it, and near the blinds, it could just be vibration between some of these objects, unless it’s from inside the speaker itself. At my place, one my picture frames vibrates during certain movie scenes, and keeping it off the wall makes the noise go away. Without proper isolation of things in your test environment, it may be hard to say what the noise is from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thx for the input , actually I think it is not some environmental vibrations ! I have experienced this situation back in 2010 when I first purchased a pair F113v1 ! It is exactly the same problem ! After replaced with the other unit , the test Tone is pass ! So I think it is a QC issue ! And then both v1 serve me for 5 years ! So I just shocked about the same problem is still happening on Version 2 ! And really bad luck to deal with the same situation twice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
I know this will suck a bit, but swap the subwoofers over, put the faulty one where the working one is and vice versa. Then run the test again and see if the problem moves with the sub
bear123 likes this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #5 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
I know this will suck a bit, but swap the subwoofers over, put the faulty one where the working one is and vice versa. Then run the test again and see if the problem moves with the sub
Thx for the input ! F113v2 is weight at 133lbs ! It is really heavy , and moving it have to be at least 2 Man job ! Is difficult for me to do it myself! But I have contacted the seller , they will do some test tomorrow ! Hopefully they can do a replacement for me ! I love JL Sub , but the QC is not quite well !
post #6 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 3366
I think the suggestion to swap locations is a good one, because you do need to know if it's related to something in the environment, but you are likely to find that the problem is a driver issue. It sounds like there is physical contact being made.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #7 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
I have blown so many jl audio subwoofers on 1st day of ownership its pathetic...thousand dollar w7's...when they work its awesome, but jl audio qc has been a problem since origin.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 30 Old 05-10-2018, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I have blown so many jl audio subwoofers on 1st day of ownership its pathetic...thousand dollar w7's...when they work its awesome, but jl audio qc has been a problem since origin.
Hi , so what is your experience ? Can u tell me ? And what u do with it finally ? Thx !
post #9 of 30 Old 05-11-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

my dealer switched brands and just said could not afford to keep replacing the subs. I never blew a sub after I stopped using JL.

post #10 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
my dealer switched brands and just said could not afford to keep replacing the subs. I never blew a sub after I stopped using JL.
Oh , this is bad ! So which model of JL u bought ? And how many time u do the replacement ? I am scared also if the new replacement behave the same !
post #11 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
If people would stop overpaying for these jl subs and realize a sub 2x better can be had for 2x less, that would be a good start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10491
Quote:
Thx for the input ! F113v2 is weight at 133lbs ! It is really heavy , and moving it have to be at least 2 Man job ! Is difficult for me to do it myself! But I have contacted the seller , they will do some test tomorrow ! Hopefully they can do a replacement for me ! I love JL Sub , but the QC is not quite well !

Hi,

You haven't mentioned whether the seller came and tested as they were supposed to. The sound appeared to me to be either that of the woofer physically hitting the limiters, or of some other mechanical noise involving the driver. But, I agree that switching locations might help you to pinpoint the problem.

Any of these subwoofers can be heavy for one person to maneuver. You may be able to find some furniture sliders fairly easily. They help a lot and may be a good thing to have on hand for the future. Here is an example of one sold on Amazon, but in the US, stores like Home Depot and Lowe's have them in stock. I'm sure you have some similar stores.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSliders-...ardwood+floors

Good luck!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #13 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I blew 3 in a row and dealer said Im going broke replacing these(shipping costs/labor)...I switched to a fujitsu 10 brand called eclipse and still have the subs today along with original amps.

post #14 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Oh , this is bad ! So which model of JL u bought ? And how many time u do the replacement ? I am scared also if the new replacement behave the same !
Torii is talking about car audio applications I believe.
post #15 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Im talking about jlaudios w7 1000+ sub but yes it originated in car audio...entire company did...

post #16 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Im talking about jlaudios w7 1000+ sub but yes it originated in car audio...entire company did...

Right but what Im saying is your car audio dealer got out of JL. Presumably not the home theater dealer.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-12-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the dealer was home and car audio and he didnt quit JLaudio...he quit honoring replacements with me and we mutually decided to switch to a different brand due to me breaking them and him not wanting to replace anymore.

post #18 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Here's a few troubleshooting steps to try:

Disable any EQ on your receiver (Audyssey, YPAO, etc...)
Press "Defeat" button on the JL sub built in EQ
Set the ELF trim on the sub to Zero
Set both subs main volume to Zero and then verify they have the same output using the test tones at a lower volume and measuring the output with an SPL meter at 1 ft away from the sub.
I have found that even with two identical subs, they do not always have exactly the same output at the same settings.

If everything is identical and the one sub still has the same problem, see if you dealer will replace it.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Hopefully Manville may drop in and have a look for you @msmith_JL

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #20 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the dealer was home and car audio and he didnt quit JLaudio...he quit honoring replacements with me and we mutually decided to switch to a different brand due to me breaking them and him not wanting to replace anymore.
Just wondering how many u unit u broke ? And how u broke it ? Very high SPL ?
post #21 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I broke 3 and all were voice coils melting. the point of all this is that JL very expensive and not indestructable.
David Charles likes this.

post #22 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post
Quote:
Here's a few troubleshooting steps to try:

Disable any EQ on your receiver (Audyssey, YPAO, etc...)
Press "Defeat" button on the JL sub built in EQ
Set the ELF trim on the sub to Zero
Set both subs main volume to Zero and then verify they have the same output using the test tones at a lower volume and measuring the output with an SPL meter at 1 ft away from the sub.
I have found that even with two identical subs, they do not always have exactly the same output at the same settings.

If everything is identical and the one sub still has the same problem, see if you dealer will replace it.
Thx a lot for the trouble-shooting ! I’ve done that
already ! So obviously the one same still has a ticking sound when doing 20Hz Test Tone in a specific volume level but the other is work like as expect without any ticking sound ! I have rescheduled the dealer to come and check tmr morning , and let see , hopefully I can get a replacement within this week ! But I am just a bit frustrated about the move out move in progress with Sub in this weight !
xcjago likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
I do not know what people love to bash JL subs and half the people who do have never owned one. If you do not own a HSU, SVS or Rythmic sub on this forum you are going to get bashed 50% of the time. Call Randy at JL Audio in customer support he will sort you out. Randy helped me setup my F112v2 and I have had zero problems. I am also going to buy a second F112v2 soon. I wish had the space for two or one F113v2, they are great subs. On a side note I also used to have 2 JL 8" in custom made sealed boxed boxes with Focal utopia be #5 speakers and Focal KRS100's run off of a Tru Technology billet series with stage 4 chipset upgrade. I never had a problem because I was running the proper power. Car audio and home Audio are different beasts. The car system was $20k for all the gear and the custom build out. In the video you posted sounds like the limiter is being hit, so yes something is not right because at 20HZ on aF113v2 you should be hitting the limiter.
xcjago likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-13-2018, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Quote:
I do not know what people love to bash JL subs and half the people who do have never owned one. If you do not own a HSU, SVS or Rythmic sub on this forum you are going to get bashed 50% of the time. Call Randy at JL Audio in customer support he will sort you out. Randy helped me setup my F112v2 and I have had zero problems. I am also going to buy a second F112v2 soon. I wish had the space for two or one F113v2, they are great subs. On a side note I also used to have 2 JL 8" in custom made sealed boxed boxes with Focal utopia be #5 speakers and Focal KRS100's run off of a Tru Technology billet series with stage 4 chipset upgrade. I never had a problem because I was running the proper power. Car audio and home Audio are different beasts. The car system was $20k for all the gear and the custom build out. In the video you posted sounds like the limiter is being hit,
Hi , thx for the reply , your last sentence is “so yes something is not right because at 20HZ on aF113v2 you should be hitting the limiter.“ Do u really mean at 20Hz on a F113v2 it shouldn’t be hitting the limiter ? And yes , I have already contact Randy and he said he agree with me that the driver should not behave like that ! So a replacement is a must ! Let see if the replacement get rid of the issue !
post #25 of 30 Old 05-14-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi , thx for the reply , your last sentence is “so yes something is not right because at 20HZ on aF113v2 you should be hitting the limiter.“ Do u really mean at 20Hz on a F113v2 it shouldn’t be hitting the limiter ? And yes , I have already contact Randy and he said he agree with me that the driver should not behave like that ! So a replacement is a must ! Let see if the replacement get rid of the issue !
My bad yes I meant you should not be hitting the limiter.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please let us know what happens. IMO JL has very reliable products (not indestructible, what product is?) and great customer service. They should take care of you.
post #27 of 30 Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post
Quote:
Please let us know what happens. IMO JL has very reliable products (not indestructible, what product is?) and great customer service. They should take care of you.
Hi , the Seller just sent me another brand new F113v2 for me ! And every thing work just fine ! A 20Hz Test Tone is fine for the new Sub ! So the one they took away is really got serious problem !
Dealer and the Seller doing a good job for that ! Well done ! Now , finally , I can really enjoy the both new Sub !
post #28 of 30 Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi , the Seller just sent me another brand new F113v2 for me ! And every thing work just fine ! A 20Hz Test Tone is fine for the new Sub ! So the one they took away is really got serious problem !
Dealer and the Seller doing a good job for that ! Well done ! Now , finally , I can really enjoy the both new Sub !
Fantastic news! That is some great customer service!
post #29 of 30 Old 05-17-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to hear you were taken care of. Like I said before JL has great customer service. I have always used JL subs in my cars and now for home audio and have never has issues. Like the OP said nothing is indestructible if they were they would cost even more. Again glad to hear you were taken care of and able to enjoy your new gear.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

very good news you have a great dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement