Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5659 Post(s)
Liked: 5232
RG coaxial cable is made up of two conductors (Tip & Sleeve/Shield) separated by a dielectric. By definition, this is a capacitor. While coiling a cable may resemble an inductor it is actually introducing another source of parallel capacitance. The cable itself can act as a low-pass filter.

Lower capacitance coax is more expensive than higher capacitance coax. I would bet that the Monoprice cable reference uses very inexpensive coax. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...sign-notes.htm

While this capacitance is bad for high-frequency response I don't think it would affect frequencies a subwoofer is responsible for. Even with higher capacitance coax. 25' coiled.

I can't see how this would affect ground loop noise. Ground loop noise generally follows the AC power, so 50/60Hz (and harmonics, 100/120Hz). It is more likely the shielding picking up noise from nearby power cables/wire.

If you buy cables from Monoprice I recommend sticking to Monolith branded. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18534

I actually prefer RCA subwoofer cables that utilize a twisted pair with an arrow. Not because wires can be directional (like Audioquest wants you to believe) but because the outer shield is lifted on the cables to allow EMI/RFI to drain to rather than polute the unbalanced signal. SVS Soundpath is what I recommend. You can also find NOS Monster, Acoustic Research, and Audioquest for good prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
A coiled cable will have an increased impedance which affects the high-frequency response of the cable. This shouldn't have any effect on bass frequencies.
Good, because my rear sub has a 35' cable running to it. Good quality Bluerigger though.

That begs the question: if using active speakers, you may have long cable runs. Say you have RCA pre-outs, but not XLR. Your RCA runs to your active surrounds may be up to 35 feet. Is that a problem?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 06-17-2018 at 10:44 PM.
post #33 of 41 Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
I've used many monoprice sub cables and have generally had good luck. The cables themselves are fine. It's the connectors that are crap. I've had a few break on me, but since the cost is 25% of higher end brands, I'm still better off having 20% or so break on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasKiss View Post
Has anyone compared the Blue Jean LC-1 Cable to the SVS SoundPath subwoofer cable ????

Any reason to pick one over the other ?

I just got the Amazon basic 50' cable , to do the sub crawl in 2 weeks . (it had no bad reviews at this length)

Then was thinking of perhaps getting the SVS or Blue Jean cable , if needed , once I know the correct length.

As a comparison:

The SVS is less than $50 for the 15meter (49 feet) throught Amazon (free prime shipping)

Blue Jean is $85 for the same length (plus shipping)

Amazon Basics (50') was less than $20 all in .
See a cable or satellite guy, give him $10 to make you a 50' RG6 cable WITH connectors, get 2 RCA to 'F' connector adaptors for about $3-4 and VOILA! Nothing you can buy will be any better.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...adapter-2-pack

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #35 of 41 Old 06-18-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I ended up going with the SVS cable for now. If I have problems with it in the future I'll try the blue jeans one or see if any of the cable I have laying around is rg6 not 59 and get some connector/adapters for it

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #36 of 41 Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Blue Jeans

I came across Blue Jeans a number of years ago when I was having issues with less expensive HDMI cables failing. Never had any more problems after installing them. Just installed a completely new system using all Blue Jeans cables. Not a single issue. While you can sometimes get away with less expensive alternatives Blue Jeans sits in the middle of the those and the insanely, ridiculously expensive cables as a great alternative. Word of advice. Never go cheap. Inexpensive can be okay, cheap will bite you in the butt almost every time.
bear123 likes this.

post #37 of 41 Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffering View Post
I came across Blue Jeans a number of years ago when I was having issues with less expensive HDMI cables failing. Never had any more problems after installing them. Just installed a completely new system using all Blue Jeans cables. Not a single issue. While you can sometimes get away with less expensive alternatives Blue Jeans sits in the middle of the those and the insanely, ridiculously expensive cables as a great alternative. Word of advice. Never go cheap. Inexpensive can be okay, cheap will bite you in the butt almost every time.
Years ago I had trouble with HDMI cables failing. But it's much easier to replace $10 cables than $50 cables.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #38 of 41 Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Years ago I had trouble with HDMI cables failing. But it's much easier to replace $10 cables than $50 cables.
That's why you had to replace them. Cheap.
bear123 likes this.

post #39 of 41 Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Apologies if this is the wrong forum I tried to find a cabling specific forum but it doesn't seem to exist. Last year I decided I should replace my 15 year old subwoofer cable going from the receiver to the sub (both are plugged into the same power strip for reference). I went with Monoprice for the first time and went with their basic Monoprice branded RG6 cable.

I noticed randomly the sub would start humming and pushing firmly on the connector on the receiver side would fix it. I assumed it was the cable. So yesterday I ordered their Onix series also RG6. This made the humming even worse. I also noticed if I wiggle the connector on either the AVR or Sub side it will hum. In desperation I just swapped back in my 15 year old cable that I still had and no problems at all.

Is this a common/known problem with Monoprice sub cables? Should I try something else? I have an SVS sub showing up next week so I figure I should have a new(er) cable for it but I'm not sure what to go with now. I guess if anything I'll be returning at least the Onix. I paid $6 extra to get it here today too with Saturday delivery so I'm definitely not happy.
More than likely you got a cable with a cold solder joint or broken wire. It happens...
post #40 of 41 Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Get a simple Ground loop isolator from Amazon $8.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #41 of 41 Old 06-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Monoprice RCA connectors are notorious being too large to snugly fit on the ground barrel. Simply slightly squeezing the "tabs" of the connector with a pliers tightens them up and they typically work just fine.

Last edited by schwaggs; 06-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page