Buying on Amazon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Buying on Amazon

Hello everyone,
I have about $300 in gift cards for amazon right now. I could go to a budget range of $500 - $600 for a subwoofer so I would only be paying about $200 or $300 out of pocket. Are their any other good subwoofers on Amazon I could buy?

So far from my homework of researching on amazon I have found the monoprice monolith subwoofer and the svs pb + sb 1000 subwoofers.
Which one should I order from those choices or any other options currently on amazon?

My living room is 16' x 13' and open room concept. I have emotiva b1s and c1 currenty with a denon x1400. I'm mostly playing playstation 4 and watching tv with some occasional movies. The sub would have to be up against a wall and for my uses I believe the ported sub is the best option.

My lean is to the svs pb 1000. You guys agree? Or should I go in a different direction. Thank you all for reading and your input!
Mark44x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Hi. I'm not the expert here, but I'm sure people will tell you with the bugdet you have to consider the SVS PB-1000, which is 500 bucks. The Monolith 10" is also a great choice, but I believe is out of stock right now. In terms of absolute quality, those would be your best options with your budget. But that is without taking consideration of your room size and other factors that other people will ask you.

Edit: I must be blind because I somehow missed the rest of your post. Yeah, the PB-1000 would be an excellent choice, barring the Monolith. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by AmerCa; 06-18-2018 at 07:13 PM.
AmerCa is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Shades228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 81
SVS will be the best sub you can order on Amazon. Next would be Klipsch reference.


With that said I'd really save up a a hundred more and get the PB2000.
djreef likes this.
Shades228 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,074
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 2483
Monolith THX Select 10 is available n Amazon right now, but it's $612. I don't think I could bring myself to pay $112 over normal retail price. Prices being equal, I would go Monolith 10 over PB-1000. If you could go up to $700, there is a PB-2000 available from IQ Home Entertainment via Amazon. PB-2000 would be a more capable sub for your open area than the PB-1000.
DaBateman likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X,HD4.50,PC37X. HiFiMAN HE4XX. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. SA HDTwo. HyperX CloudPS4. TB Elite AtlasAero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
I too would definitely choose the Monolith 10” over the PB-1000, since you aren’t paying out of pocket yourself, I’d probably spend someone else’s extra hundred bucks on it.

I wouldn’t personally pay my extra hundred dollars but, considering you’re getting a Monolith 10” for $300, I don’t see why not.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 04:48 AM
Member
 
brushrop03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Saw some open box, like new PB 1000 for $420 on Amazon. Full warranty. Free shipping. Seller has 100% rating outta 3500 ratings.

Wish I saw that before ordering...
brushrop03 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post
Saw some open box, like new PB 1000 for $420 on Amazon. Full warranty. Free shipping. Seller has 100% rating outta 3500 ratings.

Wish I saw that before ordering...
What did you order?

You can get the PB1K for about the same price on SVS outlet and actually get the full bill of rights.

If you buy it from amazon you only get the warranty.

So you’re missing out on in home free trial, no return shipping, no trade in for 100% of what you paid, etc.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If the price were the same is the Monolith 10" a better overall subwoofer then the svs pb 1000? Or are they close in comparison?
Mark44x is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark44x View Post
If the price were the same is the Monolith 10" a better overall subwoofer then the svs pb 1000? Or are they close in comparison?
I mean spec wise they may be close but, the Monoliths are overall better quality & definitely have a more dynamic, accurate bass

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
DaBateMan,

How about for apartment living? Would either pb-1000 or monolith 10" be more recommended in that situation?
I did my research on the frequency responses and it looks like both have about the same low frequency response. About 18Hz for Monolith I am seeing and 19Hz for PB-1000
Mark44x is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark44x View Post
DaBateMan,

How about for apartment living? Would either pb-1000 or monolith 10" be more recommended in that situation?
I did my research on the frequency responses and it looks like both have about the same low frequency response. About 18Hz for Monolith I am seeing and 19Hz for PB-1000
I’d still recommend the Monolith 10” considering it comes w/ a port plug to run it sealed.

You’d have more tuning options along w/ a well built unit.

There’s nothing wrong w/ the SVS though, I actually have the PB2K in my possession atm but, I just prefer the options of the Monolith.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 06-19-2018, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
great. thanks for breaking them down for me
Mark44x is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Www.monoprice.com and purchase monolith thx 10" through their website and use amazonpay at checkout
Euphorios is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorios View Post
Www.monoprice.com and purchase monolith thx 10" through their website and use amazonpay at checkout
You can't use Amazon gift cards as a payment method through Amazon Pay.

"What payment methods can be used with Amazon Pay?

Any of the payment methods available in your Amazon account can be used with Amazon Pay. Note that Amazon.com gift cards entered into your Amazon account cannot be used when making purchases with Amazon Pay on third-party websites."
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorios View Post
Www.monoprice.com and purchase monolith thx 10" through their website and use amazonpay at checkout
You can't use Amazon gift cards as a payment method through Amazon Pay.

"What payment methods can be used with Amazon Pay?

Any of the payment methods available in your Amazon account can be used with Amazon Pay. Note that Amazon.com gift cards entered into your Amazon account cannot be used when making purchases with Amazon Pay on third-party websites."
My bad, regardless id say get the monolith 10. Ive had it for a week and its been mind blowing. My room is 1900 cubic ft and its thx rated for 2000. Works perfectly for me. When i purchase my own home ill most likely be adding a monolith 12 and using the 10 as nearfield bass. Every time i watch a bluray or stream a dolby or dts track my home theater sounds like a legitimate theater. My wife now says there is no reason to go to the movies anymore. Thats how epic these subs are. GET ONE. DO IT. 🙂
Pradeep2 and AmerCa like this.
Euphorios is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oh man that stinks I can't use Amazon gift cards through the Amazon Pay.
I would definitely have bought the Monolith 10" subwoofer through monoprice that way.
It looks like I may be stuck getting the SVS pb 1000 because for some reason amazon is selling the monolith for $612.
However I will try to chat with their customer service and hopefully get a price match with the monoprice . com price.
Mark44x is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark44x View Post
It looks like I may be stuck getting the SVS pb 1000 because for some reason amazon is selling the monolith for $612.
However I will try to chat with their customer service and hopefully get a price match with the monoprice . com price.
None of my business, but if you really want the Monolith, just pay the difference, at the end of the day it's within your budget. Either that, or wait for a sale. It would suck to buy the PB-1000, and think about what if you bought the Monolith instead.

Just my opinion, do what you judge best. Myself, I ordered a PB-1000, and I'm still waiting for it. It's a solid option too.

Good luck!
AmerCa is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
None of my business, but if you really want the Monolith, just pay the difference, at the end of the day it's within your budget. Either that, or wait for a sale. It would suck to buy the PB-1000, and think about what if you bought the Monolith instead.

Just my opinion, do what you judge best. Myself, I ordered a PB-1000, and I'm still waiting for it. It's a solid option too.

Good luck!
What made you go with the pb-1000? Did you consider the Monolith 10" and compare the two?
Mark44x is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark44x View Post
What made you go with the pb-1000? Did you consider the Monolith 10" and compare the two?
I live in Mexico, and the PB-1000 it's one of the few quality options I have access through Amazon. The Monolith isn't available here (yet), but I would've considered it otherwise, especially because they're at the same price point. But I'm ok with the PB-1000 because I really like the brand and it's a quality sub all the same. I have a rather small room (around 1500 ft3), so output isn't of much concern to me now, and the SVS would fit my space better.

But in all honesty, the Monolith may be the best sub in its price range right now, it's really impressive for what I've heard from very knowledgeable people.. The extra 100 bucks may be worth, especially since you're gonna end up paying like 300 with you gift cards. That is, if you can't wait for a better deal.

But if you're not convinced to buy the SVS, don't do it. Nobody likes buyer's remorse, right?

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Shades228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The PB 2000 was only $100 more than the monolith 10 on Amazon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shades228 is online now  
post #21 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
The PB 2000 was only $100 more than the monolith 10 on Amazon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, even though I’ve only had the PB2K a week, I don’t care for it. I couldn’t imagine having a pb-1000. My room is only 1200^3 & the PB2K just doesn’t have any real output.

I have to have the gain maxed w/ AVR trim at 0.0 to get 5dB hot. My $250 BIC PL-200 II has more output than the PB2K. It’s absolutely shocking how unimpressed I was.

I have no vendetta w/ SVS, I absolutely love their Elevation speakers but, I’d rather have my Monolith 10” over this PB2K.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Shades228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
To be honest, even though I’ve only had the PB2K a week, I don’t care for it. I couldn’t imagine having a pb-1000. My room is only 1200^3 & the PB2K just doesn’t have any real output.

I have to have the gain maxed w/ AVR trim at 0.0 to get 5dB hot. My $250 BIC PL-200 II has more output than the PB2K. It’s absolutely shocking how unimpressed I was.

I have no vendetta w/ SVS, I absolutely love their Elevation speakers but, I’d rather have my Monolith 10” over this PB2K.
Have you taken measurements? I've owned a PL 200 not the II version but I can't see it being on par with a PB2k unless distortion is making the PL 200 sound louder.
Shades228 is online now  
post #23 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
To be honest, even though I’ve only had the PB2K a week, I don’t care for it. I couldn’t imagine having a pb-1000. My room is only 1200^3 & the PB2K just doesn’t have any real output.

I have to have the gain maxed w/ AVR trim at 0.0 to get 5dB hot. My $250 BIC PL-200 II has more output than the PB2K. It’s absolutely shocking how unimpressed I was.

I have no vendetta w/ SVS, I absolutely love their Elevation speakers but, I’d rather have my Monolith 10” over this PB2K.
There must be something wrong going on with the PB2K, in that space your sub should be wreaking havoc. I read on the SVS thread someone having an issue similar like yours, and with some tweaking the user got more satisfactory results. Your impressions certainly don't look normal at all.
AmerCa is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
From the SVS thread. It's a PB-16 Ultra, but the guy's impressions were similar than yours regarding output. The poster eventually got better results. Follow the replies to see how things worked out for him, if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7gslse View Post
Its here! Its here!

Got the new PB-16 Ultra sub in today, drug it upstairs, re-ran Audyssey etc and got all set in to listen to music and watch stuff blow up...

And my first impression? meh...

It definately does lower than my 10yr old 15" Velodyne that it just replaced, but the volume just isn't there. Super 8 train crash had more depth but signifiantly less force. So much so that I drug the old one back in and plugged it in just to be sure Audyssey didn't mess with something. Even at 60% volume on my Velodyone DLR-5000R (15" 1000W RMS, 23Hz from ~2007) it has significantly more thump (>3dB based on my iphone free SPL meter app) than the PB-16 Ultra does set at 0dB. That's without changing any of the AVR settings, just moving the cord from one sub to the other and replaying the same track...

Do these things take awhile to loosen up perhaps?? What am I missing?? I set the EQ to extended and plugged the center port, but haven't messed with any other setting it arrived with.
AmerCa is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,201
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Sounds like the difference between bloated frequency response and flatter frequency response. When your ears are used to the former, it takes some time to get used to the latter.

However, the first thing you need to do is a sub crawl (Google, if not familiar). Do not assume that just because your former sub "worked" in a particular position in the room, that the new sub will also work there. You need to start over, assuming nothing.

There is no more important factor in getting good bass response in a room than the physical position of the sub. The secondary consideration is the seating position, which should be an odd percentage of the length of the room. The best options are 2/3, 3/5, 5/7th, etc. Avoid 1/2, 1/4, or up against a back wall.

It may take some effort and experimentation to get what you are looking for. Contrary to general opinion, subs are NOT plug and play devices! Don't let the initial experience taint your enthusiasm. Just keep at it until you get what you want. Most folks don't get it right the first time.
AmerCa likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-21-2018 at 02:18 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #26 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,074
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
To be honest, even though I’ve only had the PB2K a week, I don’t care for it. I couldn’t imagine having a pb-1000. My room is only 1200^3 & the PB2K just doesn’t have any real output.

I have to have the gain maxed w/ AVR trim at 0.0 to get 5dB hot. My $250 BIC PL-200 II has more output than the PB2K. It’s absolutely shocking how unimpressed I was.

I have no vendetta w/ SVS, I absolutely love their Elevation speakers but, I’d rather have my Monolith 10” over this PB2K.
Either there was something wrong with the PB-2000, the settings, the placement, or all of the above. Having owned the PB-2000 and currently owning the Monolith THX Select 10, I can say I would easily pay the additional $100 for the PB-2000 over the Monolith 10 if that were the scenario. Now when the Monolith 10 is around $400-$450, it's a great buy for a small to medium sized room. It's not going to compete with the PB-2000, which is more comparable to the Monolith 12.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X,HD4.50,PC37X. HiFiMAN HE4XX. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. SA HDTwo. HyperX CloudPS4. TB Elite AtlasAero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
Have you taken measurements? I've owned a PL 200 not the II version but I can't see it being on par with a PB2k unless distortion is making the PL 200 sound louder.
Not w/ a measurement mic but an SPL meter. I agree the PL does distort absolutely before the SVS would think about it but, that’s not the factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
There must be something wrong going on with the PB2K, in that space your sub should be wreaking havoc. I read on the SVS thread someone having an issue similar like yours, and with some tweaking the user got more satisfactory results. Your impressions certainly don't look normal at all.
Do you know what page(s) this was on? I agree something is not setup correctly here because my Monolith would shake **** off my furniture if I wanted it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
From the SVS thread. It's a PB-16 Ultra, but the guy's impressions were similar than yours regarding output. The poster eventually got better results. Follow the replies to see how things worked out for him, if you're interested.
Again, do you know what pages this discussion took place on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Sounds like the difference between bloated frequency response and flatter frequency response. When your ears are used to the former, it takes some time to get used to the latter.

However, the first thing you need to do is a sub crawl (Google, if not familiar). Do not assume that just because your former sub "worked" in a particular position in the room, that the new sub will also work there. You need to start over, assuming nothing.

There is no more important factor in getting good bass response in a room than the physical position of the sub. The secondary consideration is the seating position, which should be an odd percentage of the length of the room. The best options are 2/3, 3/5, 5/7th, etc. Avoid 1/2, 1/4, or up against a back wall.

It may take some effort and experimentation to get what you are looking for. Contrary to general opinion, subs are NOT plug and play devices! Don't let the initial experience taint your enthusiasm. Just keep at it until you get what you want. Most folks don't get it right the first time.
Oh I agree with the majority of what you said other than the flat vs bloated. The only reason I compared the SVS to the BIC was to further prove how bad my experience has been; price point comparison mainly.

Although I do realize I have an issue. I did do the sub crawl, both with my ears & an SPL meter. I have three places where it’s the best response; 1/2 way on the both side walls & one corner loaded next to my TV stand. I tried the corner loaded first then moved to both side walls. It just isn’t outputting properly.

Just to note, whenever I use both L&R inputs(plate amp) w/ a Y adapter it increases the SPL 5dB vs just using LFE so I also considered a signal/voltage issue but, I’ve tried four different interconnects along w/ 3 different subs & the SVS is the only one having this issue.

I also considered I may be in a null, I spent the entirety of last night rearranging my entire room just to actually end up in a real null. Atm my seating is losing approximately 20dB so I’m going to have to start from scratch again.

I thought at first maybe my expectations were too high but, at 0.0 MV(test tones) and max gain I should be measuring more than 80dB(obviously not in a null)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Either there was something wrong with the PB-2000, the settings, the placement, or all of the above. Having owned the PB-2000 and currently owning the Monolith THX Select 10, I can say I would easily pay the additional $100 for the PB-2000 over the Monolith 10 if that were the scenario. Now when the Monolith 10 is around $400-$450, it's a great buy for a small to medium sized room. It's not going to compete with the PB-2000, which is more comparable to the Monolith 12.
Oh I totally agree something is not setup correctly, I just do not know what. See the above post.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Do you know what page(s) this was on? I agree something is not setup correctly here because my Monolith would shake **** off my furniture if I wanted it to.

Again, do you know what pages this discussion took place on?
In the post I quoted there's a small blue arrow next to the name of the person quoted. Click on it and it will take you directly to the post and thread.
AmerCa is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
In the post I quoted there's a small blue arrow next to the name of the person quoted. Click on it and it will take you directly to the post and thread.
Never knew that. Thanks.
AmerCa likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 06-21-2018, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,201
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Oh I agree with the majority of what you said other than the flat vs bloated. The only reason I compared the SVS to the BIC was to further prove how bad my experience has been; price point comparison mainly.

Although I do realize I have an issue. I did do the sub crawl, both with my ears & an SPL meter. I have three places where it’s the best response; 1/2 way on the both side walls & one corner loaded next to my TV stand. I tried the corner loaded first then moved to both side walls. It just isn’t outputting properly.

Just to note, whenever I use both L&R inputs(plate amp) w/ a Y adapter it increases the SPL 5dB vs just using LFE so I also considered a signal/voltage issue but, I’ve tried four different interconnects along w/ 3 different subs & the SVS is the only one having this issue.

I also considered I may be in a null, I spent the entirety of last night rearranging my entire room just to actually end up in a real null. Atm my seating is losing approximately 20dB so I’m going to have to start from scratch again.

I thought at first maybe my expectations were too high but, at 0.0 MV(test tones) and max gain I should be measuring more than 80dB(obviously not in a null)
Perhaps the sub is defective? If you have tried multiple connectors and multiple subs, then that points to the SVS as the issue. I would contact SVS directly and describe the situation thoroughly. See if they have any quick fixes. If not, then I guess you could try a replacement, or just return it and move on to another sub purveyor.

Monolith has been getting good reviews of late, as well as the old reliables, HSU and Rythmik. Decisions, decisions ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-21-2018 at 11:35 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off