MFW15 has is suddenly dead. It won't power on at all. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bargugl
  • 1 Post By beekermartin

post #1 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 33
MFW15 has is suddenly dead. It won't power on at all.

I have had my MFW15 since they were originally available. I did have the infamous "hum" issue but replacing a few capacitors fixed that issue. It has been working perfectly every since. Granted I don't use my HT often, maybe 10 hours a month. Well tonight I started to watch the Lord of the Rings and I noticed the bass was off. I ran the test tone test in my Marantz 8801 and sure enough the sub was quiet. I pulled it out of its spot. The amp was cold and no lights were on. I plugged it into a different outlet to make sure that wasn't the issue but of course it was not. For whatever reason the amp is completely dead. It won't turn on at all.

Is this something that can be fixed or is it time to look for an alternative amp? I know Seaton still offers the Turbo upgrade which I imagine is my best option if this amp can't be repaired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9323
post #3 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Turbo upgrade time.
I would agree vs paying money to fix the current amp or buying a different sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Hum on a subwoofer amp is highly (but not 100%) likely caused by a bad capacitor. If the amp is "infamous" for this problem then there is a good chance there is a specific capacitor that commonly goes bad. I've fixed this sort of issue on different brand subwoofers. If you know someone who repairs electronics or have a shop nearby that you can trust then it's probably worth repairing. They are usually not too difficult to solder as it's usually a through-hole component going bad and not a tiny surface-mount component (though that can also happen especially with multi-layer ceramic caps (MLCC) which can crack as the ceramic is brittle). But these cases are usually bad electrolytic (or sometimes tantalum for older equipment and those are basically a specialized type of electrolytic anyway) and often have leaked fluid and/or bulged tops to make it fairly obvious where the bad cap(s) is/are.

Are the sub and box still in good shape? Are you still happy with it other than this amp issue? If you cannot or do not want to repair the amp, you could also do a block-off plate and get a rack amp. Dayton (Parts Express) has rack mount ones, or Class D (ideal), G or H pro amps can be a good choice.

Last edited by DonoMan; 06-22-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Just buy the Turbo amp from Mark Seaton, though it is a wait to get one. You can just contact him for the ETA. He designed the MFW-15 and av123 notoriously put bad amps in his design to save money. Mark's amp will make it perform the way he intended it to and it is a drop-in replacement.
http://seatonsound.net/product/mfw-15-mk2-amp/
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You could also check the fuse and see if it's blown.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't notice a fuse. I will take a closer look.

I removed the amp last night. All the capacitors appear to be ok. At least none are swollen. I did replace the capacitors myself to correct the hum but that was several years ago.

If I can't get this amp working I will look into the turbo upgrade kit. The sub is still in excellent condition and has been working well.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Can someone explain to me what the fuse looks like and where it is please. I can't seem to find it. I am far from an electrical expert.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
maybe this link can help

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67854

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #10 of 26 Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I joined that site to see the pics but it didn't help much.

Where is the actual fuse that could be possibly causing my amp to be completely dead? Nothing looks wrong on the amp. There are no signs of swollen caps, burned resistors, etc. It looks normal to my uneducated eyes.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I agree with doing the Turbo upgrade. Unfortunately I had to do it twice. There was a kit with an external Dayton amp which I would avoid. The Dayton amp died after about a year. The newer onboard amp that Mark makes and the replacement sub is killer. Completely different experience than the old MFW15. Its awesome.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Can someone please explain to me what the fuse looks like? I don't see anything that looks like a fuse.

I joined the waiting list for the turbo upgrade.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
Can someone please explain to me what the fuse looks like? I don't see anything that looks like a fuse.

since nobody wants to answer... the fuse is located in the plug for the power. pull the power cord out and pry what appears to be a blank panel under where the plug goes. you will find the fuse there.

also, if you are going to replace the amp, i will buy your old amp. ( and the control board ) note, it is not worth much to me... i just fix all types and brands of amplifiers and keep them around for customers that may need them. but at least that would put a few bucks towards your new amp.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post
Quote:

since nobody wants to answer... the fuse is located in the plug for the power. pull the power cord out and pry what appears to be a blank panel under where the plug goes. you will find the fuse there.

also, if you are going to replace the amp, i will buy your old amp. ( and the control board ) note, it is not worth much to me... i just fix all types and brands of amplifiers and keep them around for customers that may need them. but at least that would put a few bucks towards your new amp.
That area is covered in what looks like liquid electrical tape. I assume I'll have to peel all that off to expose the fuse?

Or do you mean to go through the front side where the cord plugs in?
post #15 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
That area is covered in what looks like liquid electrical tape. I assume I'll have to peel all that off to expose the fuse?

the front. the little panel just slides out like a drawer and in the plastic holder, there will be a fuse.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

the front. the little panel just slides out like a drawer and in the plastic holder, there will be a fuse.
I don't know why I never looked at the front side where the plug goes in. It is obvious where the fuse is, directly under the plug. Wow do I feel dumb.

Anyway the fuse is blown. Any chance you could send me a link to a proper replacement fuse? If it blows another fuse immediately I will know something else is wrong. Maybe I'll get lucky and it was just a power surge.

Last edited by beekermartin; 06-28-2018 at 01:09 PM.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM

look at the panel and it should say what fuse it uses... i actually dont remember what fuse it uses, as i have only worked on around 30 of them, and the last one must have been 1000 amps ago. ( which means at least 6 months ago )

but i do remember it is a 20mm x 5mm fuse.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
look at the panel and it should say what fuse it uses... i actually dont remember what fuse it uses, as i have only worked on around 30 of them, and the last one must have been 1000 amps ago. ( which means at least 6 months ago )

but i do remember it is a 20mm x 5mm fuse.
Will do. I grabbed only the blown fuse when I left my house. There is writing on it of course but hard to read. I'll check the fuse "drawer" when I get home.

Thank you very much for your help!

Edit: it is a T6.3L250V fuse. I will try to find one locally. If I can't I'll order some on Amazon. After I get to test the amp with the new fuse I will post my results.

Last edited by beekermartin; 06-28-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered some fuses on Amazon. I don't think any local stores would stock them. Radio Shack might have stocked them in the past but they are out of business of course. I'll post my results once I receive the fuses.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-01-2018, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I installed a new fuse with the amp disconnected from the woofer. I plugged it in and the red standby light turned on. About two seconds later the fuse blew.

Something must be wrong. Any ideas of what I could look for or try?
post #21 of 26 Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
I installed a new fuse with the amp disconnected from the woofer. I plugged it in and the red standby light turned on. About two seconds later the fuse blew.

Something must be wrong. Any ideas of what I could look for or try?
i tried swapping out the fuses on mine before and it did the same thing..blew the new fuse right away...nothing else i did worked..

i went ahead and got an Inuke 3000 DSP amp and powered it with that...if you only have the 1..you can get an Inuke 1000 DSP and that would be enough to run it.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
post #22 of 26 Old 07-02-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
i tried swapping out the fuses on mine before and it did the same thing..blew the new fuse right away...nothing else i did worked..

i went ahead and got an Inuke 3000 DSP amp and powered it with that...if you only have the 1..you can get an Inuke 1000 DSP and that would be enough to run it.
I appreciate the recommendation. I will most likely get my amp repaired. I did join the waiting list for the turbo upgrade but who knows how long before they will be available again.
post #23 of 26 Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I sent my dead amp to daveds50. He found out what went wrong but unfortunately it killed the transformer. The transformers are no longer available he said so the amp is officially dead.

It appears I will be waiting for the Turbo amp to become available again. I don't have any other options I if I want a amp that will install into the sub like the stock amp does. Hopefully they become available soon.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
It appears I will be waiting for the Turbo amp to become available again. I don't have any other options I if I want a amp that will install into the sub like the stock amp does. Hopefully they become available soon.
one option, which may be the better choice than the Turbo amp, is a new subwoofer. at the price of the amp, that could be the smarter buy.

sorry i did not get a chance to package up the broken amp to send back today... i got stuck at the department of motor vehicles almost all day till after the post office closed, so i was not able to get anything done. will get to it in the afternoon tomorrow.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Quote:
one option, which may be the better choice than the Turbo amp, is a new subwoofer. at the price of the amp, that could be the smarter buy.

sorry i did not get a chance to package up the broken amp to send back today... i got stuck at the department of motor vehicles almost all day till after the post office closed, so i was not able to get anything done. will get to it in the afternoon tomorrow.
No way, for $400 he can't get anywhere near the performance of the MFW-15. Anyone have an ETA on the Turbo kits? I just went with an iNuke for my MFWs, swapped out the driver with Legacy Audio drivers, as well. So much better now.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #26 of 26 Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Seaton Sound is now allowing ordering of their replacement amp for the MFW15. They should be shipping by the end of September. I placed my order today. I plan on getting the turbo woofer as well once they are available. I will have to send the amp back for programming when I get the woofer but that isn't a big deal. I spoke with Mark today and he said the turbo woofer is still a few months away.
Hopefully the replacement amp works well with the stock woofer for now. I'll post my results once I get the amp installed.

http://seatonsound.net/product/mfw-15-mk2-amp/
Mark Seaton likes this.

Last edited by beekermartin; 09-19-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers