How to connect AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shaker to ONKYO NR616AE using Yamaha Subwoof - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zworykin

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking How to connect AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shaker to ONKYO NR616AE using Yamaha Subwoof

Hi, Can someone help me with the following question?

**How to connect AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shaker to ONKYO TX-NR616AE using Yamaha YST-SW216 Subwoofer**

I have an ONKYO receiver TX-NR616AE which has "pre out" for my subwoofer connection (PURPLE in color). I previously had Klipse powered subwoofer attached to it.

Recently I decided to buy two AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shakers to attached to it as an project to shake my sofas. So I ordered them and got them. As they needed to be powered and my existing Klipse sub did not have any speaker or sub output, I decided to buy second hand Yamaha YST-SW216 subwoofer which had speaker outs.

I connected my receiver's "Pre Out" for subwoofer to my new Yamaha YST-SW216 mono Input 2 with one RCA jack. Then I tested if subwoofer worked fine which it did. I then connected my one AuraSount Shaker to "Output to Speaker' on Left channel.

My shaker is not working. Can someone please help me with my setup? I only want to get my one shaker going to start with.

I am attaching the Pictures of my Receiver (back side), Aura Shaker and Subwoofer (back side).
Also I am attaching picture of my connections.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ONKYO TX-NR616AE.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2419864   Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	2419866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha YST-SW216 Subwoofer.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2419868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha YST-SW216-3T.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2419870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection Diagram.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	2419880  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBedi View Post
Hi, Can someone help me with the following question?

**How to connect AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shaker to ONKYO TX-NR616AE using Yamaha YST-SW216 Subwoofer**

I have an ONKYO receiver TX-NR616AE which has "pre out" for my subwoofer connection (PURPLE in color). I previously had Klipse powered subwoofer attached to it.

Recently I decided to buy two AuraSound AST-2B Pro Bass Shakers to attached to it as an project to shake my sofas. So I ordered them and got them. As they needed to be powered and my existing Klipse sub did not have any speaker or sub output, I decided to buy second hand Yamaha YST-SW216 subwoofer which had speaker outs.

I connected my receiver's "Pre Out" for subwoofer to my new Yamaha YST-SW216 mono Input 2 with one RCA jack. Then I tested if subwoofer worked fine which it did. I then connected my one AuraSount Shaker to "Output to Speaker' on Left channel.

My shaker is not working. Can someone please help me with my setup? I only want to get my one shaker going to start with.

I am attaching the Pictures of my Receiver (back side), Aura Shaker and Subwoofer (back side).
Also I am attaching picture of my connections.

Thanks
Sorry updated/better photo of my connections
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection Diagram.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	2419882  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 67
OK so if you look at the back of your subwoofer (Pic3) at Input One, you will see there are inputs from the amp/receivers front speaker terminals. The speaker outputs are then connected to the front left right speakers.

This configuration is really to allow connection of a stereo amplifier that has no dedicated subwoofer out. What happens is the sub receives the left/ right signals. The bass is filtered out and sent to the sub and the the rest forwarded to the front speakers.

Connecting an RCA cable to Input Two there is no signal being sent to the speaker outputs on Input One.

You may have to consider buying another amp to power the transducer. You would connect the other sub out on the receiver to an input on that amp then connect the speaker terminals to the Aura shaker which can now be independently controlled by that amp.

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
OK so if you look at the back of your subwoofer (Pic3) at Input One, you will see there are inputs from the amp/receivers front speaker terminals. The speaker outputs are then connected to the front left right speakers.

This configuration is really to allow connection of a stereo amplifier that has no dedicated subwoofer out. What happens is the sub receives the left/ right signals. The bass is filtered out and sent to the sub and the the rest forwarded to the front speakers.

Connecting an RCA cable to Input Two there is no signal being sent to the speaker outputs on Input One.

You may have to consider buying another amp to power the transducer. You would connect the other sub out on the receiver to an input on that amp then connect the speaker terminals to the Aura shaker which can now be independently controlled by that amp.
Hi Dolus, I really appreciate your quick reply. It helped a lot as I was lost for few days and did not know what to do or where to go. So many thanks...

I can understand the part that my existing Yamaha subwoofer is not going to do this job and why.

I don't under stand the second part.

You said: "You may have to consider buying another amp to power the transducer."

Say for e.g. I got the second Amp (say for e.g. AMP2 which is another ONKYO NR616).

You said: You would connect the other sub out on the receiver to an input on that amp

which i can then attach to "sub out" of my existing ONKYO receiver.

ONKYO "Sub Out" -------> AMP2 "Input"

Question 1 - Which is the "Input" terminal on my AMP2 (second ONKYO)? Can you please explain it in reference to ONKYO NR616 back side terminal picture that i have already attached?

You said: then connect the speaker terminals to the Aura shaker which can now be independently controlled by that amp

I can then attach my Aura Shaker to speaker terminal to this new AMP2.

AMP2 "speaker terminals" --------> Aura Bass Shaker

Question 2 - Which is the "speaker terminal" terminal on my AMP2 (second ONKYO) you are referring to; to attach Aura shaker? (because, from my understanding, Aura shaker needs to be attaching with subwoofer out terminal not speaker out terminal as it only handles low sub frequencies) Can you please explain it in reference to ONKYO NR616 back side terminal picture that i have already attached?

I really appreciate your help...

Kind regards
post #5 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 11:20 PM

Deleted - double post ???

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9

Last edited by Dolus; 06-24-2018 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 11:21 PM

I am assuming that the Onkyo is your main amp so think of connecting a transducer the same as connecting a powered subwoofer.

Subwoofer - sub out on receiver to RCA input on sub (Line input to preamp). The subs amp magnifies the signal and sends it to the driver.

Transducer - sub out on receiver to RCA input on second amp. (Line input to preamp). The second amp magnifies the signal and sends it to the transducer via speaker connectors.

If you bought the Yamaha purely to power the bass shakers and not use it as a subwoofer then you could use that by disconnecting the driver and connecting the shakers in their place.

Dayton supply a kit of 4 shakers with a subwoofer plate amp and on the sales page there are some installation guides in PDF format to download.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-9001

There is also a sticky on this forum https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ual-guide.html

I'll just add that a receiver is not an ideal choice unless you have one lying about not doing anything. A simple single channel or stereo amp is preferable. Sub out on receiver to input on amp, transducers connected to speaker terminals on amp.

The best amps are those designed for subwoofers or tactile transducers. That is why plate amps are popular.

Last edited by Dolus; 06-24-2018 at 11:44 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBedi View Post

Question 1 - Which is the "Input" terminal on my AMP2 (second ONKYO)? Can you please explain it in reference to ONKYO NR616 back side terminal picture that i have already attached?

You said: then connect the speaker terminals to the Aura shaker which can now be independently controlled by that amp

I can then attach my Aura Shaker to speaker terminal to this new AMP2.

AMP2 "speaker terminals" --------> Aura Bass Shaker

Question 2 - Which is the "speaker terminal" terminal on my AMP2 (second ONKYO) you are referring to; to attach Aura shaker? (because, from my understanding, Aura shaker needs to be attaching with subwoofer out terminal not speaker out terminal as it only handles low sub frequencies) Can you please explain it in reference to ONKYO NR616 back side terminal picture that i have already attached?
If you wanted to use a second 616 (or any receiver) as the amp for the shakers:

AMP1 - SubOut1 - Connect to your subwoofer
AMP1 - SubOut2 - Connect to AMP2 (Use the Right channel of your choice of source/input, it doesn't matter which--you'll just always leave that source selected)

AMP2 - Front right speaker terminal - Bass shakers (Connect all shakers, in series or parallel depending on what you need (I'm not familiar with the impedances/power handling etc.), to this same terminal)

Alternatively, you could use an RCA Y-splitter to connect the feed from AMP1 into both the Left and Right channel inputs on AMP2, and then connect one shaker to each of the front right and front left speaker terminals on AMP2.

Either way, you would need to go into the settings on AMP2 and make sure that it is set to "Front Speakers:Large." By setting Speakers:Large, you will ensure that AMP2 sends the bass down to the shakers without filtering it out. And because you are using the Subwoofer output on AMP1, it is only sending the bass frequencies to AMP2 and thus you don't need to worry about AMP2 sending unwanted high-frequency sound to the shakers.
Dolus likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-03-2018, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi DOLUS,

Sorry about the late acknowledgement. I really appreciate your prompt reply which resolved my confusion and issue in relation to my connections.

You quoted "If you bought the Yamaha purely to power the bass shakers and not use it as a sub woofer then you could use that by disconnecting the driver and connecting the shakers in their place."

I did exactly this,

I opened up my sub woofer from behind, Pulled the plate out, unplugged the connected speaker from the board to the speaker, pushed out these two red and black wires from the sub woofer hole and rejoined the plate back on. Finally I hooked my shaker to these wires and it worked.

Thanks a lot for your advice.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zworykin View Post
If you wanted to use a second 616 (or any receiver) as the amp for the shakers:

AMP1 - SubOut1 - Connect to your subwoofer
AMP1 - SubOut2 - Connect to AMP2 (Use the Right channel of your choice of source/input, it doesn't matter which--you'll just always leave that source selected)

AMP2 - Front right speaker terminal - Bass shakers (Connect all shakers, in series or parallel depending on what you need (I'm not familiar with the impedances/power handling etc.), to this same terminal)

Alternatively, you could use an RCA Y-splitter to connect the feed from AMP1 into both the Left and Right channel inputs on AMP2, and then connect one shaker to each of the front right and front left speaker terminals on AMP2.

Either way, you would need to go into the settings on AMP2 and make sure that it is set to "Front Speakers:Large." By setting Speakers:Large, you will ensure that AMP2 sends the bass down to the shakers without filtering it out. And because you are using the Subwoofer output on AMP1, it is only sending the bass frequencies to AMP2 and thus you don't need to worry about AMP2 sending unwanted high-frequency sound to the shakers.
Thanks zworykin,

Your post is very knowledgeable. I did not want to go the way to buy 2nd Amplifier to feed my Shakers but used/modified my existing Sub woofer to feed to Shaker/s. It was a cheap solution for me. However, I really appreciate your prompt reply.

Thanks a heap.

Cheers
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2018, 08:34 AM

I'd forgotten all about this thread. Glad you got it sorted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
aurasound , connection , onkyo nr616 , shaker , transducer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page