Need help with open floor plan. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By Gob Bluth
  • 2 Post By Marc Alexander
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By basshead81

post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Need help with open floor plan.

Hi, i'm in the last stage of building my HT and i'm looking for help or suggestions for a subwoofer.

My HT is 1650 cubic feet open to a 2K cubic feet room. My MLP is at 13 feet.

It will be 90% movies and tv, 10% music.
Gear is kef q950/650/in wall CI160QR
Receiver is a Marantz SR6005 for now, it will be replaced later this year to go atmos.

Floor plan is below.

The sub will be placed under the screen, marked by the X on the plan, so maximum height is 24".

ABCD are all possible locations for a second sub (or multiple subs) later this year.
A- It should not be a problem to add subwoofers along the back of the couch if needed. As long as they are not higher than the couch.
D- Depending of the size of the sub, i might be able to convince the wife to add another sub under the screen.

I'm mostly looking at ID companies. (PSA, JTR, Rythmik,...)
Budget is 1500-2500 usd$ for 1 sub. I'm in Canada close to the border and i have a US shipping address (kinek) i can use.

There is no audio shop around where i can experience ported vs sealed sub within that price range.

I noticed the Captivator S1, PSA; S3010, S3611, V1811, FV15.

Should i be concerned with the 2k cubic feet room?
Any suggestions or recommendations for me?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2426986  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 9475
If you are in Canada check out Funk Audio.
indebtbassfreak likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Yep, the entire room counts so you’re closing in on 4K cubic feet. I’d put the first sub in location A, then try the front wall for additional subs. Something like the PSA V3611 behind the couch ought to get you off to a pretty good start.
darthray likes this.

Denon AVR-X3300W | Samsung UN65KS8000 | i7 6700K / GTX 1080 Ti HTPC
Front L/R: Klipsch RF-7 II | Center: Klipsch RP-250C | Surrounds: Klipsch RP-280F
Subwoofers: PSA V3601 | (2) PSA V1500 | Velodyne CT-120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 5543 Post(s)
Liked: 5135
Definitely communicate with Funk Audio. They have options not listed on the website. For your situation, I recommend asking about the 18.1.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ub-review.html

[email protected]
www.funkaudio.ca

post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Yep, the entire room counts so you’re closing in on 4K cubic feet. I’d put the first sub in location A, then try the front wall for additional subs. Something like the PSA V3611 behind the couch ought to get you off to a pretty good start.

+1

Subs try to fill any open spaces to the listening area.
While speakers only care of their physical location, to the MLP.

Most people forget that subs play with a different rule.
Having an open room, will require getting the best sub one can afford, then start saving for a second one.

Ray
Gob Bluth likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 9475
Food for thought...small openings can act like a port causing a huge gain in output at a specific frequency. Ever crack open the windows on a vehicle and notice the bass gets louder at a specific frequency? The same rules apply to all spaces not just automobiles. If the room has a doorway or double doorway opening to other rooms, I would not be too concerned about the other spaces. However in this case with the OP room, yes he needs to factor the entire space since there is no false wall separating the 2 spaces.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 07-11-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, i'll send a quick mail to Funk. However it looks like i'll need a second mortgage for a Funk.

Is there a problem using a ported sub on his side, like Gob Bluth says?

I still need to read all the stickies on this topic but because of the size of this room, almost 4kcu ft., would you say that ported sub make more sense than sealed?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youg View Post
thanks everyone, i'll send a quick mail to Funk. However it looks like i'll need a second mortgage for a Funk.

Is there a problem using a ported sub on his side, like Gob Bluth says?

I still need to read all the stickies on this topic but because of the size of this room, almost 4kcu ft., would you say that ported sub make more sense than sealed?
If i'm remembering correctly the non advertised 18.1 sub retails around $3Kish. Also ported subs around port tune will have 2 to 3 times the SPL than the sealed equivalent, and more tactical feel, so in large spaces and on concrete slabs thats why most people really push ported.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

After checking Funk prices i think i'll have to consider something else if i want to deal with the size of my room and my wallet.

Is there a big difference between a v3611 and a JTR 1400? (because of the small price difference i could also aim at the jtr 2400)

I'm taking the advice of putting the first sub behind the couch, either a v3611 or i'm also considering a JTR 1400/2400. (need to check what kind of delay it can takes, if i remember i saw some posts about JTR being very busy with actual orders)

Next year i would go with 2 x v1811 for chest slam under the screen.

Last edited by Youg; 07-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 10681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youg View Post
After checking Funk prices i think i'll have to consider something else if i want to deal with the size of my room and my wallet.

Is there a big difference between a v3611 and a JTR 1400? (because of the small price difference i could also aim at the jtr 2400)

I'm taking the advice of putting the first sub behind the coud, either a v3611 or i'm also considering a JTR 1400/2400. (need to check what kind of delay it can takes, if i remember i saw some posts about JTR being very busy with actual orders)

Next year i would go with 2 x v1811 for chest slam under the screen.

Hi,

I have several thoughts on this. First, I agree with others who have posted, that the 2000^3 space to the side will be a factor. But, FWIW, I think that the partially enclosed space will give you a little more room gain than you would be getting if the space were completely open. Since this appears to be a downstairs space, I assume that you are on concrete. Is that correct? If it is correct, then that will attenuate the low-frequency tactile sensations that you can feel.

In your last post, you had narrowed your choices to large ported subs, and I think that's a good idea. That is a pretty big space, and the ported subs will have much more low-bass SPL than sealed subs will. Ported subs will also produce stronger low-bass tactile sensations (due to the ports moving air and producing particle velocity), and you will like that if you are on a concrete slab. As for which subwoofer to get, that's a little tougher call.

You mentioned wanting to add dual V1811's next year for increased chest punch. If that is your long-term plan, then I would recommend buying a V3611. I wouldn't mix subwoofer brands, with different tuning points and slopes, if I were you. You can certainly do it, but it will be much easier to integrate identical or at least similar subwoofers. For instance, I believe that the V3611 and the V1811 do share about the same port tune.

The port tunes on the JTR subwoofers are deliberately lower than those of the PSA subs. While the PSA subs are mid-bass monsters with good low-frequency extension, the JTR subs are low-bass monsters with good mid-bass SPL. Which of those somewhat different options you prefer depends a lot on you. This is just my personal opinion, but I think that it is much easier for most people to obtain sufficient mid-bass SPL, with corresponding chest punch, than it is to obtain sufficient low-bass SPL, with corresponding low-frequency tactile sensations.

It's not particularly difficult to obtain the low-bass sounds and sensations in a very small room, due to the room gain that occurs in smaller spaces. If you were in an enclosed 1650^3 space, sealed subs might even be a better choice for the space. But with over 3500^3 on concrete, I would be inclined to go with subwoofers which produce as much low-bass SPL and TR as I might need or want.

In this case, that would be the Cap 2400. And, I would definitely have a long-term plan to add a second one. I think that for the difference in price, you are wise to skip over the Cap 1400, and go for the lower port tune and stronger low-bass SPL of the Cap 2400. JTR subwoofers produce a great deal of TR, and I would be very surprised if you found that you weren't getting enough chest punch with a Cap 2400, much less with a pair, when you add a second one. But, they will produce much more low-bass SPL and TR than a pair of V3611's. There are different design philosophies involved, and the resulting performance differences reflect the different philosophies.

If you do want to buy JTR subs you will need to be patient, though. Jeff stays very busy with orders, and people sometimes have to wait a few weeks to get what they want. Tom, on the other hand is very quick to respond, and the waiting time will be much shorter. PSA customer service, in general, is exceptional. We all make choices in situations like this and I think you have some fairly clear choices in this case.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-03-2018, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

thanks a lot, i'll give JTR a call and start following their Owner's thread.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 234
The subs you mention are all good but it depends on what type of sound signature you are looking for out of your subs. I am bias towards PSA case in point see my signature below However Rythmik audio and JTR subs would be the way to go for your large open floor plan.

Video: BenQ HT3550 4K Projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Pre Amp: Marantz 7705/ Power Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
JBL - Stage A190 Towers L/R , Stage A135 Center , Stage A190 surrounds , Atmos Klipsch rp-500sa
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801 / Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield, Darbee Darblet 5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page