Klipsch R-12SWi wireless sub $274 Fry’s - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By badboi
  • 1 Post By RobZL1

post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Klipsch R-12SWi wireless sub $274 Fry’s

I’m having my wife grab one. Too good a deal to pass up. Was saving for a Rythmic LVX12 or 15 but the wireless will help me a bunch. Are these any good at all? Turns out, I live 10 minutes away from Rythmic which is cool. Could I possibly run both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
The wireless option can be handy, but IMO you are making a critical mistake. I would save up for a quality sub such as the LVX12 you mentioned.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
I would return the sub immediately. You can make any sub wireless

https://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

https://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html

https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...-audio-adapter

The Rythmik, either one but, especially the 15 would make the glue come apart that’s holding the Klipsch together.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh...I think I might return it adding these comments to what I’m already feeling. $274! I’m always looking for a deal. I could stretch the Rythmic...

Maybe live under a bridge after buying the other stuff too. No power but great gear.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
I would return the sub immediately. You can make any sub wireless

https://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

https://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html

https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...-audio-adapter

The Rythmik, either one but, especially the 15 would make the glue come apart that’s holding the Klipsch together.
After measuring where I wanted to put my sub, the Klipsch fit so I kept it. I’m actually happy with it. I just downsized from a big house on a 2 acre lot where I could enjoy a better sub. I in no way could crank this sub where I’m at and it hits pretty well.

Did you guys give ANY consideration to the price? It would cost 4X the price to buy a HSU or Rythmik. After hearing the Klipsch and the fact that it’s wireless, it’s a FANTASTIC deal under $300.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-26-2018, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM1968 View Post
After measuring where I wanted to put my sub, the Klipsch fit so I kept it. I’m actually happy with it. I just downsized from a big house on a 2 acre lot where I could enjoy a better sub. I in no way could crank this sub where I’m at and it hits pretty well.

Did you guys give ANY consideration to the price? It would cost 4X the price to buy a HSU or Rythmik. After hearing the Klipsch and the fact that it’s wireless, it’s a FANTASTIC deal under $300.
I’m assuming since you’re satisfied with the Klipsch you’ve never owned a “real” sub. You wouldn’t think twice about the price after watching Blade Runner 2049 w/ a 15” Rythmik.

Everyone, at first, is under the impression that a bigger more expensive sub will break the windows & dial 911 randomly on your phone & the driver will have such excursion that it will fly out & punch your neighbor in the face but, that’s not really the case.

Sure a bigger better sub can play louder but, that’s what the gain is for, you can always turn it down. There’s multiple reasons for getting a quality sub.. a flat frequency response, quality bass, deeper extension, & extra headroom. I’m just assuming you don’t listen at reference levels, so having a quality sub means you can have great bass w/out ear bashing volumes; this is called running your sub “hot”. It’s where the sub is calibrated louder than the rest of your system. Hence you’re setup is not playing at concert levels but, you still have that rumble.

But, I get it.. I really do. Whenever I first started I bought a Polk PSW505 & thought that was outlandish & I’d never buy another sub in my life. A little over a half a year later I’ve spent $1,800+ on subs alone. I actually just finished my first DIY 18”. It’s 30” W x 21” D x 30” H in my little 9x15 room.

Once you get a taste for quality price is just a piece of paper; or an afterthought. Budget? **** a budget.

Nevertheless if you are happy, then more power to you. One piece of advice, put this URL in your blacklist on your browser & never look back.

..& if you decide to stay, well, you could save yourself money from going straight to Rythmik HQ & picking the sub up.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
I think these guys expect a certain level of performance from their subs. Let's use an analogy. Really good subs are like steak. They want to eat steak. Lots of good kind of steak, and everyone's taste is just a little different, but they want at least steak. The Klipsch is a hot dog, so it isn't going to satisfy what these guys are after. It may still be good, and it may be a good deal for a hot dog, but it isn't a steak.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-26-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 129
It's all fun and games with the Klipsch . . . until the amp dies (and it will).
bootster likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
$218 and often $248

I got it for $218 during the holiday season. I had a all Klipsch 5.1 system for 15 years. The response to this user is typical of people that are REALLY into subs. But when you are just an average person putting a AV system together with an AVR driving the system, 15 & 18 inch subs really don't fit. I can't fit a sub that size and there would be zero WAF. I could get away with 2 12 inchers so that's what I did. I hope I don't run into an amp issue (I didn't in 15 years with my old Klipsch sub) but I can just replace it with a plate amp.

Yeah, if you've spent thousands (maybe tens of thousands) on amps/dacs/processors, you definitely wouldn't even consider a mass merchandise brand like Klipsch. That would be like having a lambo and putting low rolling resistance tires on it (like what's on a Prius). But if your system resembles a Honda/Toyota, then the Klipsch would be like the all season tire that fits the car. Is it the best performing tire for your car? No, but it does the job and fits the different conditions you run your car under. And for $218 or $248, it's like running into a buy 1 tire, get 3 free deal.

Like the original poster, I'm satisfied with the "Oomph" it provides and it fits within the space I have for it. Running a 5.2 system but I could probably have gotten away with just a 5.1.

HT: Vizio PQ65-F1, Denon X3400H, DIYSG 1099 LCR, Klipsch RS-3 ii, R-12SWi, R-112SW, Sony UBP-X700
Music: Accuphase P300 amp, Accuphase C200 pre, JBL L300 (yes, 40 year old equipment)
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Quote:

I’m assuming since you’re satisfied with the Klipsch you’ve never owned a “real” sub. You wouldn’t think twice about the price after watching Blade Runner 2049 w/ a 15” Rythmik.

Everyone, at first, is under the impression that a bigger more expensive sub will break the windows & dial 911 randomly on your phone & the driver will have such excursion that it will fly out & punch your neighbor in the face but, that’s not really the case.

Sure a bigger better sub can play louder but, that’s what the gain is for, you can always turn it down. There’s multiple reasons for getting a quality sub.. a flat frequency response, quality bass, deeper extension, & extra headroom. I’m just assuming you don’t listen at reference levels, so having a quality sub means you can have great bass w/out ear bashing volumes; this is called running your sub “hot”. It’s where the sub is calibrated louder than the rest of your system. Hence you’re setup is not playing at concert levels but, you still have that rumble.

But, I get it.. I really do. Whenever I first started I bought a Polk PSW505 & thought that was outlandish & I’d never buy another sub in my life. A little over a half a year later I’ve spent $1,800+ on subs alone. I actually just finished my first DIY 18”. It’s 30” W x 21” D x 30” H in my little 9x15 room.

Once you get a taste for quality price is just a piece of paper; or an afterthought. Budget? **** a budget.

Nevertheless if you are happy, then more power to you. One piece of advice, put this URL in your blacklist on your browser & never look back.

..& if you decide to stay, well, you could save yourself money from going straight to Rythmik HQ & picking the sub up. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Awesome post.

OP - I too, like so many others here, was going the Klipsch sub route until someone #realsub woke me up.

It just depends on your situation. If you live in a condo/townhouse then maybe any sub will be fine because you'll probably have the volume turned down. If you are really price sensitive (<$500), then again, sheer performance is not going to be your top priority. Or maybe you can get lucky by haunting your local Best Buy Magnolia centers for a deep discounted open box item from a higher eschelon manufacturer.

However If you WANT high quality bass, or are at least curious, then figure out the most attainable SVS sub within range of your budget, and order it. Look on their Outlet page to shave the price a bit lower. They have a 45 day no questions asked, free shipping both ways policy.

For me, having high quality bass on a ported subwith low frequency extension (under 30hz) was like going from SD to HD. It really took home theater to the next level. It's made such a difference, I will factor it in to future life decisions such as the layout of the next home I purchase so I can maximize my sub(s) impact.
shaby likes this.

AVR: Denon X4400H 7.1.4; 80% gaming, 20% movies, <1% music
Speakers: Klipsch RP-450C; L/R Klipsch RP-250F; Side & Rear: Klipsch R-51M; Height: JBL 2.5" satellites; SVS PC-4000;
Platform: Xbox One X on LG E8 55" OLED
Room from hell: 16x16x18' open loft, thin walls, hard surfaces, lots of street noise
post #11 of 12 Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Sigh...I think I might return it adding these comments to what I’m already feeling. $274! I’m always looking for a deal. I could stretch the Rythmic...

Maybe live under a bridge after buying the other stuff too. No power but great gear.
Quote:

Haha 10:10pm to 4:40am ya'll almost had him, then after a short night sleeping on it, MKM escaped.

I completely understand where he's coming from, having fell into the klipsch sales trap myself. When the r-120sw was $125, it was too irresistible not to try a pair. As great as they are for the price, you still know you are missing low end content. Just the value makes them hard to let go of, so you have to choose b/t maximizing value vs. maximizing performance.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I look at it this way...In the past, I made very good money so I’d ONLY consider a better sub. Since I’m on a budget now, 😕...I still think spending less than $300 was the way to go for now. I’m certanly going to step up at some point though. Like driving a pocket rocket before you buy that Ferrari.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page