Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20284Likes

post #3541 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Read Post 3 on the first page, all of it, then sell it lol!

Hah, I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD in my hi-fi setup, so I could compare the two, but I am a lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake666 View Post
The site where the demo is hosted is called MEGA.

I managed to download the First Man en Nemo demo but can't download RP1. I guess because the file size is much bigger than the others.

Thanks though.

I downloaded both through Firefox, no problems
post #3543 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
Man all I see is BEQ is awesome left and right in here. This got me to researching the miniDSP and man, it's like trying to read Chinese blindfolded on how to set it up, lol. I wanna take the plunge, but have no idea how to do any of what you guys post. Would the non HD miniDSP be good enough for one sub, maybe two max? Also the miniDSP only EQ's the sub right, not all speakers? All this awesome bassness I'm missing is making me twitchy, lol.

It hasn’t been discussed here much, but with the HD, you can add Dirac room correction for the front channels and many have commented on the positive effects this can bring to a system. You can also EQ a pair of subs as well as run BEQ: it’s a great piece of kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Quote:
Man all I see is BEQ is awesome left and right in here. This got me to researching the miniDSP and man, it's like trying to read Chinese blindfolded on how to set it up, lol. I wanna take the plunge, but have no idea how to do any of what you guys post. Would the non HD miniDSP be good enough for one sub, maybe two max? Also the miniDSP only EQ's the sub right, not all speakers? All this awesome bassness I'm missing is making me twitchy, lol.
Like Pio said, don't do the non-HD version. It's just missing a bunch of horsepower that the HD version has and due to that it doesn't perform as well. It's 100% worth the price difference, especially if you catch one of the eBay site wide sales drops the price.

The miniDSP is being used just for the subs, not all speakers. You connect your AVR's sub output to it and then it to your sub.

Finally, don't worry about the technical details. You can leave that aspect of it to Aron, d00d, myself, etc. We're working on making things as dead simple and as much plug and play as possible. If you only use the miniDSP for BEQ it's as simple as loading the save file from the repository I maintain (info on first page). Start simple like that and you can pick up the more technical stuff from reading this thread if you have interest in it as you go. It's not needed though to enjoy the result of BEQ and we shouldn't let it scare anyone off.

@PioManiac I'd support you removing the non-HD from the list of hardware options. If you do it might be worth putting a FAQ note somewhere saying that the non-HD isn't recommended and to do the HD. I think was Aron that had a nice post awhile back listing out why the HD should be used.
Thanks to you and Pio. I have been reading like crazy since seeing this thread. I am in the process of upgrading to a 5.1.2 set up right now, I'll have to wait a bit to get the DSP, but if/when I do, I'll get the HD version. If you don't mind, I have a question. What is meant by a house curve? Thanks again.
post #3545 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Quote:

It hasn’t been discussed here much, but with the HD, you can add Dirac room correction for the front channels and many have commented on the positive effects this can bring to a system. You can also EQ a pair of subs as well as run BEQ: it’s a great piece of kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll have to wait a bit to get it. Just spent some coin on adding Atmos speakers, so this will have to wait. 🙂
post #3546 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Ok, I may be dense but.. where do I find these BEQ clips to download? For some reason, it is not showing on my PC
post #3547 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked: 10243
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Ok, I may be dense but.. where do I find these BEQ clips to download? For some reason, it is not showing on my PC
Ready Player One BassEQ Demo Clip (UHD, FLAC 7.1) -10dB
Unbroken BassEQ Demo Scene (FLAC 7.1) -10dB
Finding Nemo BassEQ Demo Scene (FLAC 7.1) -10dB
First Man BassEQ Demo Scene (Lossy source) -5dB

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #3548 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I uploaded the demo clips to MEGA only because it was quick and easy. Does anyone have a better host? I would gladly make the demo clips in PCM if I didn't have to worry about hosting space. That is a direction I would like to go, as it would make them compatible with almost every device as-is.

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #3549 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I uploaded the demo clips to MEGA only because it was quick and easy. Does anyone have a better host? I would gladly make the demo clips in PCM if I didn't have to worry about hosting space. That is a direction I would like to go, as it would make them compatible with almost every device as-is.
Mediafire.com I haven't used them in a while but it was great back in the day
SuperFist likes this.
post #3550 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I finally downloaded both of the Beq demo clips (First Man (post#3303) and Unbroken (post#3312)) from Aron and playing them a few times with Original and then BassEQ soundtrack. Let me tell y’all, we should put these two clips on the front page to show people what BEQ is all about. They go from meh to holy cow bass that shakes my couch along with the port wind fanning my legs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I should have some time next week to look for a few demo's sections that may make good non BEQ vs BEQ'd to help with the list. I think I know a few already off the top of my head that I've watched recently, but will check again for sure with and without BEQ.

It might also be cool to have a section in the 1rst post for these 'BEQ Demos' in addition to the normal BEQ list of 'Movies' and 'TV' shows if not already planning to do this. Making it easy for newcomers to find them, download and try BEQ easily on their systems, then become crazy addicted to it like us after they are smacked with the "OMFG I can't believe the difference it makes experience!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
the demo clips seem to have been useful so I was thinking 2 things

firstly of implementing https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/issues/168 though I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Is it just applying the same MV offset to both signals on top of the filters? @aron7awol what do you think?

secondly, we should build a list of the scenes where BEQ had made the biggest difference so that that can then be compiled into a demo disc. No idea what a good way to do that is other then people just comment and someone collects the replies.
Quote:
I am all in for this. I mentioned this before but there was no discussion about this. I love to have a beq bass demo disc Please make it happen!

PLEASE!
post #3551 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PLEASE!
We're working on it! It's not going to happen overnight. If you want to contribute, start finding some scenes that you think would be good for demos.
galonzo likes this.

post #3552 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another observation I had from the full-range analysis I did last night...

I think I remember when I first watched Black Panther and adjusted it by ear, I actually ended up watching it at reference rather than my normal -10 MV, so a +10dB MV adjustment. R128 analysis only suggests a +5.8dB adjustment. However, the dip in BP in the 2-6kHz range is exactly where our hearing is most sensitive (by a lot, especially in the 3-4kHz range).

So I changed the adjustment for BP on the graph to +10dB to see what it would look like:

BP ends up hot everywhere except for that one sensitive range for our ears. It seems that is by far the most important range as far as harshness to our ears limiting MV adjustment. This makes sense, as the sensitivity difference of our ears in this range is much greater than the difference in the shape of any of these curves. What I mean by that is even if we used the Fletcher-Munson curve as a reference curve, that 3-4kHz range would still be the limiting factor on all of these mixes. @3ll3d00d , I know you have some plans to add some reference curve functionality, I think this would be a really cool application of that!

There are a couple other mixes I remember in the past that my ears didn't quite match up with R128, American Psycho and Avengers: Infinity War. I took a look at those, and sure enough, the peaks in the 3-4kHz range exactly line up with my experience adjusting by ear. A:IW in particular is a couple dB lower only from 3-4kHz, and I adjusted it by ear up 2dB more than R128 suggested. This is all extremely strong evidence that the peaks in this range is exactly what limits me when adjusting by ear. It's also important to note that it is the peaks much more than the average that are doing so, which does make sense to me.

Fletcher-Munson curve for reference:

DesertDog, galonzo, Nalleh and 3 others like this.

Last edited by aron7awol; 01-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #3553 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
We're working on it! It's not going to happen overnight. If you want to contribute, start finding some scenes that you think would be good for demos.
Thanks. Honestly, I only compared beq on and off with Atomic Blond and It made a huge difference. Eversince, I ONLY watch movies with beq and smile every time so I have not compared with and without beq. I will try to find scenes that I think will be very noticeable and post here.
post #3554 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 91
New MiniDSP HD Filter Confusion.....

Officially went down the BEQ rabbit hole with the MiniDSP HD. At this point just trying use REW and get the right filters on the MiniDSP's input to get as flat as possible (very difficult in my room even after a year of dual sub placement, bass traps, and optimizing with Audyssey XT32). Super excited but I'm really a neophyte when it comes to REW and filters. Curve is not where I want it and lots of filters. Any advice or should this be posted elsewhere (top red line is corrected, bottom magenta line with the deep null at 23 hz is measured)?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REW Room vs Predicted.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	2505012  

Last edited by richsto; 01-03-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #3555 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3396
Finally watching Matrix Reloaded 4K with BEQ in Atmos, and after the first scene I had to make sure my subs/Crowson’s were working, because the bass was almost absent. The Incredible Hulk 4K DTS:X track had the same weak bass...something is definitely not right.

I played some Bass Mekanik on a different input and there’s nothing wrong with the subs or actuators.

Long story short and after 20 minutes of trouble shooting, I was out of town for a week with everything powered down, and forgot I had on Audyssey LFC that is input specific on Denon receivers. I’m done using this stupid feature for sleeping children as it keeps biting me in the butt.
galonzo, aron7awol, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #3556 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Finally watching Matrix Reloaded 4K with BEQ in Atmos, and after the first scene I had to make sure my subs/Crowson’s were working, because the bass was almost absent. The Incredible Hulk 4K DTS:X track had the same weak bass...something is definitely not right.

I played some Bass Mekanik on a different input and there’s nothing wrong with the subs or actuators.

Long story short and after 20 minutes of trouble shooting, I was out of town for a week with everything powered down, and forgot I had on Audyssey LFC that is input specific on Denon receivers. I’m done using this stupid feature for sleeping children as it keeps biting me in the butt.
Yep, that will definitely neuter your bass, lol. I use it so as to not get tuned up by my wife at night for the bass, but shut it off before I power down each time I use it.
galonzo likes this.
post #3557 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsto View Post
. Any advice or should this be posted elsewhere (top red line is corrected, bottom magenta line with the deep null at 23 hz is measured)?
Definitely the wrong thread for this but I had to comment as those filters are not good at all. Loads of boost into a sharp dip = pls melt my sub for no reason!
galonzo, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.
post #3558 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3396
Quote:
Yep, that will definitely neuter your bass, lol. I use it so as to not get tuned up by my wife at night for the bass, but shut it off before I power down each time I use it.

It’s laughable that there’s 7 different settings for the LFC, as even the lowest one is comparable to shutting your subs off. It places such a steep HPF that I can barely tell anything below 60-80Hz gets through.

Anyhow, The Matrix Reloaded BEQ definitely brings the goods!

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #3559 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
@richsto , I'm in the same boat, trying to optimize my bass curve before my minidsp arrives; found some interesting things out about placement, now trying to figure out whether to place filters before or after Audyssey XT32 (it sounds like there's tradeoffs to both).

Here's the instructions from Minidisp.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #3560 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Yes, I followed the MiniDSP guidance for auto tuning and it didn't get me very close - post Audyssey. Thanks for the link though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Definitely the wrong thread for this but I had to comment as those filters are not good at all. Loads of boost into a sharp dip = pls melt my sub for no reason!
Subs haven't melted and it sounds better but obviously I don't understand the best way to do this. Can you or someone point me in the right direction to post for advice?

Last edited by richsto; 01-03-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #3561 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a little bit of quick info for the new guys...

Buying a MiniDSP will unlock a whole bunch of possibilities for you as far as sub setup and tweaking with REW, etc (and they are all definitely worth doing eventually), but if you're happy with Audyssey now and you're looking for the quickest and easiest method to get up and running, setup your MiniDSP in-line (disable HPF & LPF that are there by default) without any filters and run Audyssey like normal. Then just add the BassEQ filters as desired.

A more advanced option is to get your sub response flat using the MiniDSP and then run Audyssey. It is generally a bad idea to do that and have Audyssey changing your sub response, because Audyssey may try to boost something you are already boosting with the MiniDSP. This is why in this case, I really like Nalleh's technique of using the Audyssey phone app to stop Audyssey from touching the sub response above 20Hz. Again, this is a more advanced method and not necessary if you are trying to get up and running with BEQ quickly.

As others have mentioned, this is not the thread for sub response tweaking and the like, but those big dips your response are due to placement and you shouldn't try to EQ them away. The real solution to that problem is changing placement and/or adding subs in different locations. A good beginner's rule of thumb is just to pull down the peaks and leave the nulls alone.
PioManiac, galonzo, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

post #3562 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Another observation I had from the full-range analysis I did last night...

I remember when I first watched Black Panther and adjusted it by ear, I actually ended up watching it at reference rather than my normal -10 MV, so a +10dB MV adjustment. R128 analysis only suggests a +4.8dB adjustment. However, the dip in BP in the 2-6kHz range is exactly where our hearing is most sensitive (by a lot, especially in the 3-4kHz range).

There are a couple other mixes I remember in the past that my ears didn't quite match up with R128, American Psycho and Avengers: Infinity War. I took a look at those, and sure enough, the peaks in the 3-4kHz range exactly line up with my experience adjusting by ear. A:IW in particular is a couple dB lower only from 3-4kHz, and I adjusted it by ear up 2dB more than R128 suggested. This is all extremely strong evidence that the peaks in this range is exactly what limits me when adjusting by ear. It's also important to note that it is the peaks much more than the average that are doing so, which does make sense to me.
Based on this, are you changing the recommended MV gain for these titles?
post #3563 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Good advice. My primary reason for the MiniDSP (despite the massive benefits of BEQ) is to help flatten and improve the bass response in my, admittedly problematic room. I've spent the better part of a year playing with placement and this is as good as it's going to get with no room (or permission) for more subs or bass traps. Seating position near the back wall (ugh) is also not further negotiable.

After all that and spending much time optimizing Audyssey, I'm still not "happy" and the MiniDSP gives me the option to get closer. Post Audyssey is likely best; however, I just don't have the grasp of what I should and shouldn't do to best utilize the filters. Sounds like the current filter set is not great for the subs...if there is another thread or location that would help me select the right filters would appreciate some direction. Or feel free to PM me.

Really appreciate the replies.
post #3564 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
I explained on page 1 that REW was not a requirement for BEQ,
But If you want help with it there is a link to the REW thread.

In a nutshell, you can cut Peaks in your FR, but you can't fix Nuls (dips) with EQ.

AustinJerry is the resident REW guru here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22823228
galonzo and d-rail34 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 01-03-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #3565 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I explained on page 1 that REW was not a requirement for BEQ,
But If you want help with it there is a link to the REW thread.

In a nutshell, you can cut Peaks in your FR, but you can't fix Nuls (dips) with EQ.
My post wasn't meant to suggest otherwise (I think your first few posts are great and extremely helpful), I just saw a few new people in here that may or may not have been possibly a bit overwhelmed with REW (and asking off-topic REW questions in here), and I just wanted to make sure they realized what their easiest options were.

post #3566 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
Sorry Aron, I was just addressing richsto's comment above my reply,
I guess I could have quoted him to indicate who I was responding to.

aron7awol likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #3567 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Thanks to you both for the information - I will re-read and post in that thread.
post #3568 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Based on this, are you changing the recommended MV gain for these titles?
My current feeling is I will shift a bit to using a combination of R128 and looking at the full-range graph to identify the mixes that seem to differ from the norm in determining MV adjustments. I am not satisfied with only using R128, and I knew my ears weren't lying to me, and I'm happy that I'm starting to see the hard data that aligns with what my ears were telling me.

I think it would be really helpful to get some feedback from the guys that do a lot of MV adjustment by ear to see if their experiences match mine on these particular films. @SBuger is someone who comes to mind!

Edit: I just tested and 10dB is a bit strong on BP, but it's still shockingly not really harsh despite being so loud everywhere but that dip. I'm still observing, so as of right now I'd probably stick with the +6dB recommendation from R128 for Black Panther, but Death Wish I'd revise to zero adjustment.
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

Last edited by aron7awol; 01-03-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #3569 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Post Wi-Dg - Setup/Review

Please do not quote the entire text and reply.. Thank you.

I know few of you have already hooked up this device and scratched your head, it was my turn today to BEQ OTA(Over the air)!

Background:
What a piece of equipment, you will need PHD in networking to get this device connected to the network. All my Wi-Fi access points use 63 character passwords (Special characters, numbers, and alphabets). WI-DG doesn't allow me to connect to high secured Wi-Fi password!. (using grc.com password generator)

I managed to generate another random password for my theater Wi-Fi access point, containing only uppercase, lowercase and numbers password length less than 20 characters. Managed to connect to this network. (Few resets and trial and error)

For those of you who are having trouble joining the WI-DG to your own WIFI-network. Below is the step I followed.
Assuming your using a laptop>
1. Make sure you are not connected to Wi-Fi network
2. Plug the Wi-DG to your laptop Ethernet port or use Ethernet to USB adapter
(You can also use the MiniDSP... open Wi-Fi access point to connect to the device, the device by default has AP mode enabled with no password)
3. Connect to http://192.168.100.1/ (Thanks to @PioManiac for finding this trick, which is also documented in the user guide – RTFM page 10)
4. You will be prompted to enter password. Enter a password and don't forget this password, the device will not ask you confirm the password! Nice job (That’s why they gave us a easy to access reset button, thank you)
5. Disconnect the Ethernet port and connect back again
6. Connect to http://192.168.100.1/ login using the above password (If you forgot the password follow the below reset process)
7. You will notice two tabs (system and network), click on the network tab
8. Select station mode - this is the mode that joins the Wi-DG to an existing network via wireless
9. From the drop down list of available network choose the Wi-Fi-network you want to join.
10. Make sure to enter the correct Wi-Fi network password. Press configure and restart button, if you are successful you will see a pop up message, Disconnect the Ethernet port.

Issues:
If you enter wrong Wi-Fi-network password or like my case the network password had 63 characters you will not see any pop up message when you press configure and restart, Wi-DG just saves the settings and it waits.. Waits... and nothing happens, and you will be unable to connect to the device! If you try to connect the device directly via Ethernet and try to login you will get a warning message saying like "IPV 4wan" empty (0) - not sure what message I got. Basically the device failed to join the network as the device doesn't have an IP address.
TLDR; The network setting was saved with station mode without the device being able to join the network.

Don’t worry if this happens, Press and hold the Wi-Fi button on the Wi-DG device for about 20 Seconds wait till the status led light becomes solid green then release the Wi-Fi button. Wait for about 15 seconds and connect the Wi-DG using the Ethernet cable and repeat the above steps. The reason you need to wait for the default firmware/ values settings to be written to the device.

If all goes well:
For normal users you will have all devices on the same network, so when you load the minidsp plug-in it should detect and connect to the Wi-DG device. I was able to connect using manual IP address method as my theater devices are in a different network(VLANS).

To find out what IP address was assigned to the WI-DG device, login to your ISP/ or whatever router you use at home, under DHCP leases you should be able to see device being assigned an IP address. The mac address for the device is on the side of the unit.

Wish list:
I wish I could just plug-in the device to an Ethernet switch port and use it as simple device that gets an IP address from the router, but the device is designed to be connected directly via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Hopefully a firmware update will include this feature.

Other notes: your MiniDSP 2x4HD etc .. Needs to have the firmware to support Wi-DG discovery, example I have MiniDSP 2x4HD with the below firmware.
Rev 1.12 (firmware v1.7) / 14th Jun 2018 - (Minor update)
1. Added Automatic IP address discovery for Wi-DG

Now back to BEQ over the air!!!. Some of you are doing a thankless job here and I wanted to say thank again to all involved. I hope to get Crowns in couple of months, need to nag my wife everyday!
paulst and Phil1975m like this.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #3570 of 8239 Old 01-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Awesome job sir.

It would be better if @PioManiac is able to add this to the first page so that more users can test out the BEQ without investing anything and hopefully jump over to BEQ! with the below instructions
"each one has two audio tracks so you can toggle back and forth."
copied from this post.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57366204
Phil1975m likes this.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page