Please do not quote the entire text and reply.. Thank you.
I know few of you have already hooked up this device and scratched your head, it was my turn today to BEQ OTA(Over the air)!
What a piece of equipment, you will need PHD in networking to get this device connected to the network. All my Wi-Fi access points use 63 character passwords (Special characters, numbers, and alphabets). WI-DG doesn't allow me to connect to high secured Wi-Fi password!. (using grc.com password generator)
I managed to generate another random password for my theater Wi-Fi access point, containing only uppercase, lowercase and numbers password length less than 20 characters. Managed to connect to this network. (Few resets and trial and error)
For those of you who are having trouble joining the WI-DG to your own WIFI-network. Below is the step I followed.
Assuming your using a laptop>
1. Make sure you are not connected to Wi-Fi network
2. Plug the Wi-DG to your laptop Ethernet port or use Ethernet to USB adapter
(You can also use the MiniDSP... open Wi-Fi access point to connect to the device, the device by default has AP mode enabled with no password)
3. Connect to http://192.168.100.1/
for finding this trick, which is also documented in the user guide – RTFM page 10)
4. You will be prompted to enter password. Enter a password and don't forget this password, the device will not ask you confirm the password! Nice job (That’s why they gave us a easy to access reset button, thank you)
5. Disconnect the Ethernet port and connect back again
6. Connect to http://192.168.100.1/
login using the above password (If you forgot the password follow the below reset process)
7. You will notice two tabs (system and network), click on the network tab
8. Select station mode - this is the mode that joins the Wi-DG to an existing network via wireless
9. From the drop down list of available network choose the Wi-Fi-network you want to join.
10. Make sure to enter the correct Wi-Fi network password. Press configure and restart button, if you are successful you will see a pop up message, Disconnect the Ethernet port.
If you enter wrong Wi-Fi-network password or like my case the network password had 63 characters you will not see any pop up message when you press configure and restart, Wi-DG just saves the settings and it waits.. Waits... and nothing happens, and you will be unable to connect to the device! If you try to connect the device directly via Ethernet and try to login you will get a warning message saying like "IPV 4wan" empty (0) - not sure what message I got. Basically the device failed to join the network as the device doesn't have an IP address.
TLDR; The network setting was saved with station mode without the device being able to join the network.
Don’t worry if this happens, Press and hold the Wi-Fi button on the Wi-DG device for about 20 Seconds wait till the status led light becomes solid green then release the Wi-Fi button. Wait for about 15 seconds and connect the Wi-DG using the Ethernet cable and repeat the above steps. The reason you need to wait for the default firmware/ values settings to be written to the device.
If all goes well:
For normal users you will have all devices on the same network, so when you load the minidsp plug-in it should detect and connect to the Wi-DG device. I was able to connect using manual IP address method as my theater devices are in a different network(VLANS).
To find out what IP address was assigned to the WI-DG device, login to your ISP/ or whatever router you use at home, under DHCP leases you should be able to see device being assigned an IP address. The mac address for the device is on the side of the unit.
I wish I could just plug-in the device to an Ethernet switch port and use it as simple device that gets an IP address from the router, but the device is designed to be connected directly via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Hopefully a firmware update will include this feature.
your MiniDSP 2x4HD etc .. Needs to have the firmware to support Wi-DG discovery, example I have MiniDSP 2x4HD with the below firmware.
Rev 1.12 (firmware v1.7) / 14th Jun 2018 - (Minor update)
1. Added Automatic IP address discovery for Wi-DG
Now back to BEQ over the air!!!. Some of you are doing a thankless job here and I wanted to say thank again to all involved. I hope to get Crowns in couple of months, need to nag my wife everyday!