Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18388Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4351 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Yeah, I almost didn't put the gasket tape because of the thin gasket that was already on the drivers, but I read in some other build threads where people had leaks and had to pull their drivers and put gasket tape. Also the stock gasket didn't seem perfect, and it's really thin around the mounting holes. I already had gasket tape, it was easy enough to throw it around the recess on the box, and I really just wanted to avoid any chance of having to pull the drivers.
I haven't really checked out any of the builds in the DIY section lately, so thanks for telling me this, I'll definitely go ahead and use the gasket tape then on the UM's. Yeah I don't want any leaks either and have to pull the drivers. So did you just leave the thin one that's on the UM's on there then in addition to what you put on, or did you remove it on the UM's?

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4352 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Have a request for The Patriot, aron. Nice new Atmos mix on the 4K Blu that could use some BEQ love. Thanks man!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
Edwin_H is offline  
post #4353 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I haven't really checked out any of the builds in the DIY section lately, so thanks for telling me this, I'll definitely go ahead and use the gasket tape then on the UM's. Yeah I don't want any leaks either and have to pull the drivers. So did you just leave the thin one that's on the UM's on there then in addition to what you put on, or did you remove it on the UM's?
I left it on.

Well, so far my integration of the new subs is not going well at all. I had serious phase issues which I seemed to find the best compromise on, got what looked like a nice FR, and then upon real testing it was a big pile of meh. So it looks like all I did was waste a ton of time today and my current setup is leagues worse than my old one I think I'm going to start from scratch again.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4354 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 268
@SBuger , @aron7awol or anyone else, I have UB900 Bluray. I downloaded the demo clips to hear the difference. Its mkv files. I put them on USB and tried to play. The player plays the video but shows that the Audio format is not supported. Has anyone able to play these clips on UB900? Or is there any other way I can demo them?

Last edited by harrisu; 02-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.
harrisu is offline  
post #4355 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I left it on.

Well, so far my integration of the new subs is not going well at all. I had serious phase issues which I seemed to find the best compromise on, got what looked like a nice FR, and then upon real testing it was a big pile of meh. So it looks like all I did was waste a ton of time today and my current setup is leagues worse than my old one I think I'm going to start from scratch again.
Well darn it!! Yeah mixing ported and sealed can be tough for sure! I'm sure you tried everything already, but maybe try going through all the different order HPFs on your sealed subs at 10hz (lowest the mini will go) to see if you can get phase to match up with your ported 10-12hz ported beasts and or different order slopes on your ported as well. Although if too low an order on either one at 10hz, you'll probably loose some of your response under 15-20hz without some tweaking with PEQs to compensate. So yeah compromises like you say and have probably experienced already.

Back when I ran both ported and sealed together, this is what I had to do. I never ran an impulse or phase in REW, just messed with the HPF's enough (changing the phase) to get both sealed and ported combining constructively at all frequencies. I eventually when to all sealed, at least in this new small room.

IIRC, I could get my sealed subs and the one ported 'Johhny' sub combining well and sounding good together in 2 ways. Either HPFing the sealed subs at 10hz with a BW 48db/oct and the ported with a BW 12db/oct at 17-20hz (I believe that's what I used on the ported, although probably not steep enough for its port tune). Also I lost below 10hz on the sealed doing it this way, which at the time all I cared abut in my huge room was down to 10hz anyway. The other way was to NOT HPF the sealed and use a 36 db/oct HPF (I believe this was the one, could have been a little higher or lower though) at 17-20hz on the ported. Both gave good results.

Whether it will work on yours, who knows, but playing with different orders on the sealed and or both may fix you up if you having tried it already. Worth a try maybe if your not too frustrated with it.
aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #4356 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
@SBuger , @aron7awol or anyone else, I have UB900 Bluray. I downloaded the demo clips to hear the difference. Its mkv files. I put them on USB and tried to play. The player plays the video but shows that the Audio format is not supported. Has anyone able to play these clips on UB900? Or is there any other way I can demo them?
Try changing it to PCM instead of bitstream in your player and see if that works
SuperFist and biga6761 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #4357 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Try changing it to PCM instead of bitstream in your player and see if that works
NO way that I know of to do that. I plug in the USB and then ask the player to play and off it goes. Doesn't give me any option to change from bitstream to PCM.
Update: Please ignore. Found the way to do it. Now just need to see if it works :-)

Last edited by harrisu; 02-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
harrisu is offline  
post #4358 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
NO way that I know of to do that. I plug in the USB and then ask the player to play and off it goes. Doesn't give me any option to change from bitstream to PCM.

Update: Please ignore. Found the way to do it. Now just need to see if it works :-)


Let us know if it did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev 2 with Paper cone
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - PSA MT 110sr Surrounds - 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #4359 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
NO way that I know of to do that. I plug in the USB and then ask the player to play and off it goes. Doesn't give me any option to change from bitstream to PCM.
Update: Please ignore. Found the way to do it. Now just need to see if it works :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Let us know if it did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. It didn't work. Changed to PCM and still no success. When I play, it has no sound and when I press Pause button, it shows message that the audio is not supported.
FYI: This is from the player thread that shows that it should work but it didn't
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post54795186
Quote:
Just bought a DMP-UB900, have Digital Audio Output set to Bitstream (not PCM) for both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA and have secondary audio set to OFF as they recommend.

When I play an MKV file from a connected USB drive that contains a DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD track I get no audio and message the audio format isn't supported. If I switch digital audio output to PCM they do play fine when output as PCM. In addition when I have digital audio out set to bitstream and play a Bluray, no problem my Denon A/V receiver receives the bitstream DTS-HD MA/Dolby True HD audio just fine. So a limitation of the DMP-UB900 to not be able to bitstream DTS-HD MA/Dolby True HD from an MKV over USB?

Last edited by harrisu; 02-03-2019 at 05:25 PM.
harrisu is offline  
post #4360 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Well darn it!! Yeah mixing ported and sealed can be tough for sure! I'm sure you tried everything already, but maybe try going through all the different order HPFs on your sealed subs at 10hz (lowest the mini will go) to see if you can get phase to match up with your ported 10-12hz ported beasts and or different order slopes on your ported as well. Although if too low an order on either one at 10hz, you'll probably loose some of your response under 15-20hz without some tweaking with PEQs to compensate. So yeah compromises like you say and have probably experienced already.

Back when I ran both ported and sealed together, this is what I had to do. I never ran an impulse or phase in REW, just messed with the HPF's enough (changing the phase) to get both sealed and ported combining constructively at all frequencies. I eventually when to all sealed, at least in this new small room.

IIRC, I could get my sealed subs and the one ported 'Johhny' sub combining well and sounding good together in 2 ways. Either HPFing the sealed subs at 10hz with a BW 48db/oct and the ported with a BW 12db/oct at 17-20hz (I believe that's what I used on the ported, although probably not steep enough for its port tune). Also I lost below 10hz on the sealed doing it this way, which at the time all I cared abut in my huge room was down to 10hz anyway. The other way was to NOT HPF the sealed and use a 36 db/oct HPF (I believe this was the one, could have been a little higher or lower though) at 17-20hz on the ported. Both gave good results.

Whether it will work on yours, who knows, but playing with different orders on the sealed and or both may fix you up if you having tried it already. Worth a try maybe if your not too frustrated with it.
I did try that to a large extent, but certainly not all of the possible combinations, mostly because I thought I found a good one! I'm extremely frustrated right now, it's just kind of demoralizing doing all the work, injuring myself in the process, and then after all of it, it's not only not great, but it's terrible and a huge step down from what I had! BUT even though I've given up for today, I certainly haven't given up for good.

I appreciate the advice and sharing your experience. The strangest thing honestly is that the FR looks good, there's just something big missing from the impact and feel. I'm feeling like it's a testament to my ported monsters and just how incredible they are down to 10Hz. Even though sealed usually gets the nod for ULF, these ported subs are tuned so low that they actually wipe the floor with the sealed from 10-20Hz, and while sealed technically has the advantage in the single-digits, they still are really low in SPL down there, so it really comes down to room gain, or in my case, lack thereof. I tried bumping up the MAs to make up for the loss of tactile feel, but it's just not the same. It's looks like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" where the output the sealed subs are able to contribute is just a drop in the bucket compared to what the ported were already giving, and in some cases apparently detrimental. Now I'm the shameful place of just trying to get my system back to how it was, and not even caring if I can get it even better, as it was 99% perfect already.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #4361 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North America
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I am amazed by the amount of patience you guys have tuning and building your own subs/speakers and the sheer joy when things work and when it doesn't work the way you want you want to rip it apart and throw everything away. All I wanted to say was I feel your frustration hope you guys find a solution that works for you and don't give up.

On Saturday I wanted to see what the recliner bottom looked like so that I can plan for the crowsons sometime later. In doing so I thought why don't I move my seats about 6" inches backwards currently I sit 12.5" from 120" 16:9 screen in a 20feet length room. By moving MLP to 13 feet I don't know what changed inside the room the whole sound images better than before surrounds effect transition is felt way better than before. I didn't change any distance setting inside AVR just adjusted the sub EQs for peaks now everything sounds great and feels better than better also I feel the video screen is easier on my eyes now.

Now the OCD of me wants to move the MLP between 11 and 12 feet. I am resisting changing anything for now

sorry for the OT.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
avtvhdbass is offline  
post #4362 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Nope. It didn't work. Changed to PCM and still no success. When I play, it has no sound and when I press Pause button, it shows message that the audio is not supported.
FYI: This is from the player thread that shows that it should work but it didn't
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post54795186
Just going out on a limb here, but sometimes the the type of format (Fat32/NTSF) that your thumbdrive it set to will make a difference. Perhaps looking into that may help fix the issue...??

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S
d-rail34 is offline  
post #4363 of 7436 Old 02-03-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I did try that to a large extent, but certainly not all of the possible combinations, mostly because I thought I found a good one! I'm extremely frustrated right now, it's just kind of demoralizing doing all the work, injuring myself in the process, and then after all of it, it's not only not great, but it's terrible and a huge step down from what I had! BUT even though I've given up for today, I certainly haven't given up for good.

I appreciate the advice and sharing your experience. The strangest thing honestly is that the FR looks good, there's just something big missing from the impact and feel. I'm feeling like it's a testament to my ported monsters and just how incredible they are down to 10Hz. Even though sealed usually gets the nod for ULF, these ported subs are tuned so low that they actually wipe the floor with the sealed from 10-20Hz, and while sealed technically has the advantage in the single-digits, they still are really low in SPL down there, so it really comes down to room gain, or in my case, lack thereof. I tried bumping up the MAs to make up for the loss of tactile feel, but it's just not the same. It's looks like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" where the output the sealed subs are able to contribute is just a drop in the bucket compared to what the ported were already giving, and in some cases apparently detrimental. Now I'm the shameful place of just trying to get my system back to how it was, and not even caring if I can get it even better, as it was 99% perfect already.
Man I hate to hear your so frustrated but very understandable, I would be too! Well I hate to say it, but sealed may not be for you, at least placed far field in a bigger room. I'm sure your low tuned ported monsters truly are beasts and will be impossible to beat for feel down low for impact and TR compared to the sealed being far away. Back when my system was in the downstairs setup, I preferred the ported when farfeild too, even with the sealed subs low end lifted up with and LS to get the FR up close to the ported. That's why I ran the one ported up front (about 12' away), then put the sealed subs right behind me as close as I could get them.

Now that said, the ported didn't give a fraction of the feel when positioned far field compared to the sealed subs right behind me with drivers pointing into me. But the two positioned like this did give a great combo. It may be what you have to do too, if you want to run sealed in your setup with the ported.

One cool thing about the sealed cabs is that they are small in comparison to the ported boxes that are tuned low. They fit behind a seat pretty easy. They bring the TR like MAs plus the impact (may somewhat depend on your seating and just how close you can get them though). As much as a ported behind right behind you, probably not quite, like we talked about before in this thread not too long ago, but still bring it pretty hard, and in a pretty small footprint.

IDK man, just thinking out loud here and thought I'd share one more thing about what I've found with the whole ported vs sealed thing for TR and Impact. TR from a ported sub is always gonna be hard to beat I think, but the small footprint of a sealed cab plus it being real close behind with a strong LS to lift up the bottom end, they can still be great in an open room and bring it pretty hardcore. That's mainly why I went with them, I need a smaller footprint that goes super low for VNF behind the seats and not take up a ton of space getting it done.

I hope me saying all this doesn't frustrate you even more, but just thought I should probably share that bit of info as well with what I've found by messing with both ported and sealed in my last two rooms (huge open room and now small sealed room). Pro's and Con's to both sealed subs and ported subs and just have to try to use each to their strengths if you can to get the most out of them.

I hope you can find a way/setting that you can use them upfront for you speaker stands and still bring you what you want out of them, but they just may not ever give you enough feel like your used to from your low tuned ported subs with the sealed being positioned that far away. Even if you find settings that are good for phase alignment between the two different designs. One thing I've found too is that room gain on these sealed subs for down low to bring the low end up, does NOT mean they'll give great TR just because your FR is up where it needs to be. I find room gain to be the enemy actually when it comes to TR, especially when close. I'll take LSing the sealed subs up for actual output to really get that/those drivers moving (again especially VNF) any day over room gain. Room gain great for FR and weight but not so great for TR IME.

Too bad you didn't save your last config/cal to a usb drive before trying to calibrate the new sealed subs in. That way you could just go back to the way you had it, for a while at least without having to try to get back what you had. When you get it back, you may do that so you can always go back to after messing with a new cal and subs if you don't like it.

One more thing you could try too, is just try a cal with the sealed subs by themselves upfront FF where you have them to see if you really don't like them compared to your ported FF. That way you know its not a phase thing going on with the ported.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 02-03-2019 at 08:03 PM.
SBuger is offline  
post #4364 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
tanwn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Cloverfield paradox need BEQ? its a bass fest.
aron7awol likes this.

Last edited by tanwn1; 02-04-2019 at 12:48 AM.
tanwn1 is online now  
post #4365 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I left it on.

Well, so far my integration of the new subs is not going well at all. I had serious phase issues which I seemed to find the best compromise on, got what looked like a nice FR, and then upon real testing it was a big pile of meh. So it looks like all I did was waste a ton of time today and my current setup is leagues worse than my old one I think I'm going to start from scratch again.
Sorry to hear that But yeah combining ported and sealed can be tricky. Espesially when the ported one is low tuned, right where the sealed one could be LS’ed and have the advantage.

My thinking is having both farfield is compounding the problem. I would try the sealed nearfield and see if that would make it better. Seems to me you have the perfect curve with your low tuned farfields, and just need the improvements from a NF sub= TR and PV.

But don’t give up, you have amazing possibilities with the 2x4HD, so it should be possible to reign them in

And also, like SBuger is saying: how do the sealed ones sound on their own ?

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI-HT18v2 in 2xDO Sonos - 12x12" JBL GT-X1200 NF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873 - Harmony Ultimate.
Nalleh’s HT
Nalleh is online now  
post #4366 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
Alright, it's Monday, and I'm taking a break from the subs to get back to BEQ...

On tap for today:
The Girl in the Spider's Web Atmos
A Star is Born Atmos
Cloverfield Paradox Atmos

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #4367 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,201
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
Bass EQ for Filtered Movies

A BEQ request for The Book of Eli, watching it now with the wife. I couldn’t find it in any of the usual bass threads. The mini gun scene near the end is an excellent mid bass demo, but I don’t think the film has a lot of bass...just curious if you have time.

Thanks!

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #4368 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Member
 
bluenova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Is there a workaround yet for loading the BEQ file from the github and keeping your subs EQ on the output from going away? Going to have a minidsp hd real soon and trying to get all my ducks in a row
bluenova is offline  
post #4369 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North America
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
Is there a workaround yet for loading the BEQ file from the github and keeping your subs EQ on the output from going away? Going to have a minidsp hd real soon and trying to get all my ducks in a row

download the BEQDesigner app(This app will also download the BEQ XML files, how cool is that!)
https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesig...g/0.6.0-beta.3
1.beqdesigner.exe file (Download the latest beta, the earlier release had an issue with importing peak values which has been fixed in the beta versions)
2.Run the beqdesigner.exe and Go to settings>preferences>Beq Files Section> click on the refresh button> the BEQDesigner app itself will download the BEQ XML files to the respective directory!!(look at he directory entry box)

Alternate method is to download the BEQ XML files using this....
BEQ Movies Repo (read the instructions on first page of this thread or on the gitub read-me on how to download the XML files) https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ

click on the beqdesigner.exe App
1.File menu>ADD BEQ Filter>this will open a dialog window>open the xml movie file you downloaded from miniDSPBEQ Repo or check the directory location inside the beqdesigner> settings>preferences>Beq Files Section>
2.You will see a window with the graphs and filters (Better don't change anything here, unless you know what you are doing)
3.File Menu Click export biquad (choose 96000 for MiniDSP HD) and minidsp style checked, save this to a text file
(You can also use the keyboard shortcuts on the beqdesigner app)
4.Inside MinidspHD save your default setting(the one you would normally use without BEQ) to xml file.
5.go to minidspHD input channels and import the exported biquad filters text file to one of the slots(Config1,C2....)
6.Save your MiniDSP HD setting with a movie name
7.Once you are done watching movie in Minidsp HD change to a default slot(Config1 with your settings) or load back your default config(Step4)
8.Enjoy and say thanks to the BEQ Designers,creators, repo man


@DesertDog is working on an app that will stream line the process. hope he succeeds in it.


==Edited to include more steps and also to say thank you for those who posted similar steps before.
==Added alternate option

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html

Last edited by avtvhdbass; 02-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
avtvhdbass is offline  
post #4370 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Alright, it's Monday, and I'm taking a break from the subs to get back to BEQ...

On tap for today:
The Girl in the Spider's Web Atmos
A Star is Born Atmos
Cloverfield Paradox Atmos
FYI, you did A Star is Born Atmos already unless you're looking to update it. It's missing from the front page. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57504916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
Is there a workaround yet for loading the BEQ file from the github and keeping your subs EQ on the output from going away? Going to have a minidsp hd real soon and trying to get all my ducks in a row
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtvhdbass View Post
download the BEQDesigner app
@DesertDog is working on an app that will stream line the process. hope he succeeds in it.
First beta sometime this week. It's working from preliminary tests but I want to verify it a little more before handing it out. I had planned to test all day yesterday but the migraine I got had other ideas. I'm hoping to do some testing tonight and using some time at work to figure out creating an exe to give out.
SBuger, bluenova, paulst and 4 others like this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
post #4371 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
FYI, you did A Star is Born Atmos already unless you're looking to update it. It's missing from the front page. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57504916
Whoops, thanks for reminding me!

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #4372 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Member
 
bluenova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Soon



First beta sometime this week. It's working from preliminary tests but I want to verify it a little more before handing it out. I had planned to test all day yesterday but the migraine I got had other ideas. I'm hoping to do some testing tonight and using some time at work to figure out creating an exe to give out.
Sweet, is this going to be able to be run on a MacBook or is this a windows only program? You guys are a thousand magnitudes higher than me with all this computer stuff
bluenova is offline  
post #4373 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Whoops, thanks for reminding me!
No problem. With doing the save files I have a pretty good idea of what's been done, at least recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
Sweet, is this going to be able to be run on a MacBook or is this a windows only program? You guys are a thousand magnitudes higher than me with all this computer stuff
It only runs on a Mac right now. If I didn't need to support all of these guys that run windows it would have been out a month ago. I do Mac and iOS dev for a living so doing just them would have been easy. I had to learn a bunch of new stuff for this to do it cross platform.
Alaric, SBuger, Opethion and 6 others like this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
post #4374 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,046
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3069 Post(s)
Liked: 7413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
FYI, you did A Star is Born Atmos already unless you're looking to update it. It's missing from the front page. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57504916

I added it over a week ago
its in with the rest of the "S" Star titles, (not under "A")

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASIB.png
Views:	213
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2520348  
galonzo, paulst and aron7awol like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #4375 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I fancied watching Alien V Predator tonight, but struggled to find the BEQ in the Github, took me a few mins to realise it's at the bottom of the A section under AVP

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is online now  
post #4376 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I added it over a week ago
its in with the rest of the "S" Star titles, (not under "A")
Whoops, sorry. My browser must have had an old cache. I had done a search for "star" when I looked thinking you might have it under S.
galonzo likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is offline  
post #4377 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3ll3d00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,770
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtvhdbass View Post

BEQ Movies Repo (read the instructions on first page of this thread or on the gitub read-me on how to download the XML files)
https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ

.
Fwiw beqd will download this for you, go to the Prefs dialog and click the refresh button in the bottom right.
avtvhdbass likes this.
3ll3d00d is online now  
post #4378 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
Updated to Atmos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018) Atmos




DTS-HD MA 5.1:
Spoiler!
SBuger, galonzo, brahman12 and 2 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #4379 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
BassEQ The Book of Eli (2010) DTS-HD MA 5.1



Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #4380 of 7436 Old 02-04-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 9509
BassEQ The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) Atmos


SBuger, galonzo, brahman12 and 5 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off