Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20349Likes

post #4741 of 8260 Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
We really liked The Girl in the Spider's Web! Great sound design!
I meant to elaborate a little bit on this one...

There were a couple of scenes in this movie which stood out to me as serious demo material. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't get into specifics, but I feel like it's must-watch just for those scenes. Never mind that we really liked everything about it, and the Atmos track was really impressive!
galonzo, SuperFist, Nalleh and 3 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^ Ok, i will look into it

@3ll3d00d : thanks for the input, but i am sorry to say i have no clue how to do what you suggested, LOL.
quick guide to how to simulate it

open rephase
simulate your LFE channel by adding a minimum phase 1st order roll off at 3-5Hz (i.e. signal chain) + a minimum phase LPF (bass management, I used LR4 at 120Hz in this example)
change taps to 65536 and export as a wav

Click image for larger version

Name:	rephase.png
Views:	22
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2525870

open wav in REW, FR should be same as in rephase

Name:	rew_1.png
Views:	23
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	2525872

go to All SPL tab, click settings icon, click response copy

Name:	rew_2.png
Views:	21
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2525874

go to Impulse tab
enter 16 into offset and click apply
IR should move by 16ms

Name:	rew_3.png
Views:	18
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	2525876

go back to All SPL
use A+B option to sum the original response and the shifted one

Name:	rew_4.png
Views:	16
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2525878

go to Impulse tab
should show two distinct peaks

Name:	rew_5.png
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2525880

go to FR
should show comb filtering mess

Name:	rew_6.png
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2525882

now repeat with your real measurements and look for mess in real measurement
DesertDog, Nalleh and biga6761 like this.
post #4743 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:

There were a couple of scenes in this movie which stood out to me as serious demo material. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't get into specifics, but I feel like it's must-watch just for those scenes. Never mind that we really liked everything about it, and the Atmos track was really impressive!
Aron....Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out this weekend. Looking for some good demo scenes for re-muxing!

So, last night I listened to my .flac 5.1 music rips and compared directly to the hi-def music discs. There's clearly a difference but based on your feedback I now believe it has to do with the 5.1 not rendering correctly after transcoding through my signal chain. Basically, the .flac files are on my Plex server and streamed to our theater via Roku. Listening directly to the 5.1 high def music discs, they're incredible, the .flac files through Roku not so much.

This weekend I'll remux Black Panther again, this time in .flac, to see the impact on file size and also to see if Plex/Roku can render the 5.1 .flac correctly in an .mkv container.

Will report back soon for anyone else who may be curious.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
Bass EQ for Filtered Movies

Quote:

Thanks for your feedback on The Girl in the Spider’s Web. There were some definite demo scenes in the movie and some serious LFE, but my room and ears didn’t care for the first chunk of this track. I’m not sure why it sounded a bit muddy and overdone in the first half, but the second half of the film was much cleaner which was odd considering it’s the first time I’ve had this problem with or without BEQ. Makes me want to revisit it someday...

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #4745 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I've not got the BM plugin.... Not seen the need... Though I've probably not fully investigated what quite it does over Dirac!
I got the 2x4HD to do time alignment as previously I had (still have but not using) a svs as-eq1 though that was stacking filters.... Wanted to try BEQ as well as have multiple bass outs for other bits

No idea where / how to share.....i did wonder about a script to batch convert though never delved into the . Xml fully as I'm guessing there is some mechanism in there holding the details. Once the Beqdesigner route was mentioned I've just done it adhoc as needed - in theory a set of 48hz and 96hz files could be created, they are all of 2k each!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
You can upload into DropBox. Create a free account. Upload file and share the link
post #4746 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
So, last night I listened to my .flac 5.1 music rips and compared directly to the hi-def music discs. There's clearly a difference but based on your feedback I now believe it has to do with the 5.1 not rendering correctly after transcoding through my signal chain. Basically, the .flac files are on my Plex server and streamed to our theater via Roku. Listening directly to the 5.1 high def music discs, they're incredible, the .flac files through Roku not so much.

This weekend I'll remux Black Panther again, this time in .flac, to see the impact on file size and also to see if Plex/Roku can render the 5.1 .flac correctly in an .mkv container.
What is Plex transcoding to before streaming to the Roku? MP3? If so, that would explain it.
galonzo likes this.

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos

Last edited by aron7awol; 02-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #4747 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is Plex transcoding to before streaming to the Roku? MP3? If so, that would explain it.
Aron....Thanks...Roku is set to direct play when using the Plex App and the files on plex are .flac When playing the .flac files via Roku and direct play, it shows as .flac 5.1 My DTS 5.1 files play OK, same with 5.1 AAC, AC3 and PCM. Something about .flac and 5.1 music and plex/roku I guess? These are all 5.1 music files so a bit off topic to BEQ but I will be doing some more homework on 5.1 music files especially after my experience below.

To satisfy my curiosity about .flac in an .mkv video container using BEQ remux, I did the following:

Re-muxed Black Panther again using beqdesigner, this time in .flac Also, noticed an option for EAC3 within beqdesigner so re-muxed using that codec also using the default 1,500 kbps option.

The flac files play and sound much better than the 5.1 flac music files....this is why I need to do more homework on my 5.1 flac music problem, but no biggie since I can enjoy those using other formats for now.

For the BEQ remuxes, there are some differences I noticed when playing the different remux formats.

The flac mkv is about 9 dB quieter than the EAC3 mkv file. Just a quick measurement using my trusty ole' radio shack meter to dial in 75dB during the same movie passage, I had to turn up the MV on the AVR 9dB higher for the flac file to get the same SPL. This was consistent on several different movie passages.

I also noticed a difference in fidelity, for lack of a better term, between EAC3 and flac....not sure which one I like better at this point. Using the same level-set SPL using the meter for my listening experiments, I listened to the first 4 min of the Black Panther with the same BEQ filters on both remuxes.

There's some really low stuff happening in the beginning of the movie when the back story of Wakanda is being described with the animations. Sounds pretty awesome with BEQ in both flac and EAC3 remuxes. Then right after that animated backstory, the movie picks up in the present day on a basketball court with rap music playing in the background.

With the EAC3 remux, the bass in that rap music about threw me out of the chair. I did this several times going back and forth between the EAC3 mkv and the flac mkv and the result was always the same thinking I must have had the volume different when I first did the comparison. I'm guessing that bass is round 30Hz and with flac, the bass is more in line with what I was getting with the PCM mix. The EAC3 mix was crazy with this music....weird.

So now I'm torn....I like the fact that EAC3 is 9dB higher than flac so I don't have to raise the MV so much on the AVR to still get the BEQ awesomeness. This is especially desirable since family members have already forgotten to turn the volume down after a BEQ movie...lol. But, I'm not sure what to think about that music scene being so violent with EAC3. Maybe that's how the original mix was....I'll have to go back and listen to the scene again on blu-ray.

Oh yeah....almost forgot about the files sizes....flac only increased the file size by about 5% over the original .mkv and EAC3 increased the file size by about 2% using the default 1,500 kbps option. Much better than the 50% increase with PCM.

Now, my end goal is to not only have some remuxed demo scenes on the plex server for hassle free presentation but now I have another goal....remux our favorite blu-rays and burn them back onto BD-R for the family to enjoy hassle free BEQ movies when I'm away.

Just need to decide what format to use now....flac or EAC3.

Hope some of this helps and sorry for getting a bit off topic.
post #4748 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The flac mkv is about 9 dB quieter than the EAC3 mkv file. Just a quick measurement using my trusty ole' radio shack meter to dial in 75dB during the same movie passage, I had to turn up the MV on the AVR 9dB higher for the flac file to get the same SPL. This was consistent on several different movie passages.

With the EAC3 remux, the bass in that rap music about threw me out of the chair. I did this several times going back and forth between the EAC3 mkv and the flac mkv and the result was always the same thinking I must have had the volume different when I first did the comparison. I'm guessing that bass is round 30Hz and with flac, the bass is more in line with what I was getting with the PCM mix. The EAC3 mix was crazy with this music....weird.

So now I'm torn....I like the fact that EAC3 is 9dB higher than flac so I don't have to raise the MV so much on the AVR to still get the BEQ awesomeness. This is especially desirable since family members have already forgotten to turn the volume down after a BEQ movie...lol. But, I'm not sure what to think about that music scene being so violent with EAC3. Maybe that's how the original mix was....I'll have to go back and listen to the scene again on blu-ray.
Something seems very off here. Are you 100% positive you didn't accidentally use different settings/filters when doing the two remuxes? I've used PCM, FLAC, and EAC3 in remuxes and never noticed a level difference. It's possible something was different in signal mapping between the two and the negative gain didn't apply on one of them?

post #4749 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Something seems very off here. Are you 100% positive you didn't accidentally use different settings/filters when doing the two remuxes? I've used PCM, FLAC, and EAC3 in remuxes and never noticed a level difference. It's possible something was different in signal mapping between the two and the negative gain didn't apply on one of them?
Good Question.....I'm re-muxing Wonder Woman right now and will double check both remuxes to make sure I have the same BEQ setting for each remux....
post #4750 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I just remuxed WW with EAC3 and getting ready to remux using flac. Do I need to close beqdesigner and restart it and start from scratch for the flac remux using the same BEQ settings. The first time I did this remux with both versions on Black Panther I didn't close beqdesigner but rather just hit "tools/remux" again and selected flac for the additional re-mux.
post #4751 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I just remuxed WW with EAC3 and getting ready to remux using flac. Do I need to close beqdesigner and restart it and start from scratch for the flac remux using the same BEQ settings. The first time I did this remux with both versions on Black Panther I didn't close beqdesigner but rather just hit "tools/remux" again and selected flac for the additional re-mux.
No, you don't have to restart BEQD. Just make sure you use the same settings for both and that signal mapping is the same for both.

Also keep in mind the gain adjustment shown on the remux dialog is for the original audio only. For the BEQed audio, you should add a negative gain filter along with you other filters. I'm confident your issue is due to one of these items.

post #4752 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, you don't have to restart BEQD. Just make sure you use the same settings for both and that signal mapping is the same for both.
Aron....Thanks, so when you say use the same signal mapping what does that mean exactly. The BEQ settings are the same and the signals are all linked as they were when I did the EAC3 remux. Anything else I need to check before remuxing in flac?
post #4753 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aron....Thanks, so when you say use the same signal mapping what does that mean exactly. The BEQ settings are the same and the signals are all linked as they were when I did the EAC3 remux. Anything else I need to check before remuxing in flac?
There's a signal mapping section in the remux dialog where you tell the app which signal's filters to apply to each channel of the audio track. Those filters should include the negative gain to add headroom.

Separately, there is a gain adjustment in the remux dialog. That is used only for the original audio, if it is included.

post #4754 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's a signal mapping section in the remux dialog where you tell the app which signal's filters to apply to each channel of the audio track. Those filters should include the negative gain to add headroom.

Separately, there is a gain adjustment in the remux dialog. That is used only for the original audio, if it is included.
Aron....Thanks for all your help.

Below is a screen shot of the remux dialog box. The signals mapping shown is what it defaults to automatically when I go to (tools / remux). Do I need to change any of these channels manually?

Regarding the gain adjustment in this remux dialog, I haven't been including the original soundtrack in the interest of making the file sizes smaller so I've never messed with that gain before.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Signal Mapping.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	2526280  
post #4755 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That looks right to me. I guess I'll have to test it too.

post #4756 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aron.....Thanks so much. I just tried Wonder Woman in both formats with similar results. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I like the EAC3 format with the extra gain to keep it simple for the family when switching back and forth between BEQ sources and regular sources

If I'm doing something wrong, at least I'm consistently doing it wrong...lol.
post #4757 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I like the EAC3 format with the extra gain to keep it simple for the family when switching back and forth between BEQ sources and regular sources
The only problem is that if the signal is louder it's likely clipping.

I would load them both into Audacity and compare that way, plus Audacity can show clipping.

post #4758 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I gave it a shot on my side, not using Black Panther but Mission Impossible. I created a 4 minute clip of each PCM, FLAC and EAC3 and they all had the same volume level to my ear. (dont have a meter to check)

Last edited by Younger38; 02-15-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: corrected typo
post #4759 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Aron....Thanks...Roku is set to direct play when using the Plex App and the files on plex are .flac When playing the .flac files via Roku and direct play, it shows as .flac 5.1 My DTS 5.1 files play OK, same with 5.1 AAC, AC3 and PCM. Something about .flac and 5.1 music and plex/roku I guess? These are all 5.1 music files so a bit off topic to BEQ but I will be doing some more homework on 5.1 music files especially after my experience below.

To satisfy my curiosity about .flac in an .mkv video container using BEQ remux, I did the following:

Re-muxed Black Panther again using beqdesigner, this time in .flac Also, noticed an option for EAC3 within beqdesigner so re-muxed using that codec also using the default 1,500 kbps option.

The flac files play and sound much better than the 5.1 flac music files....this is why I need to do more homework on my 5.1 flac music problem, but no biggie since I can enjoy those using other formats for now.

For the BEQ remuxes, there are some differences I noticed when playing the different remux formats.

I also noticed a difference in fidelity, for lack of a better term, between EAC3 and flac....not sure which one I like better at this point. Using the same level-set SPL using the meter for my listening experiments, I listened to the first 4 min of the Black Panther with the same BEQ filters on both remuxes.

There's some really low stuff happening in the beginning of the movie when the back story of Wakanda is being described with the animations. Sounds pretty awesome with BEQ in both flac and EAC3 remuxes. Then right after that animated backstory, the movie picks up in the present day on a basketball court with rap music playing in the background.

Oh yeah....almost forgot about the files sizes....flac only increased the file size by about 5% over the original .mkv and EAC3 increased the file size by about 2% using the default 1,500 kbps option. Much better than the 50% increase with PCM.

Now, my end goal is to not only have some remuxed demo scenes on the plex server for hassle free presentation but now I have another goal....remux our favorite blu-rays and burn them back onto BD-R for the family to enjoy hassle free BEQ movies when I'm away.

Just need to decide what format to use now....flac or EAC3.

Hope some of this helps and sorry for getting a bit off topic.
Jeez I wish you could remastered Atmos. I wish you could demux all channels from an Atmos track, correct them, especially those marvel Disney abominations, and remux into an 11.1 Atmos track. There has to be some way to do it.
post #4760 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean?

This is what I was thinking:
Channel 4 is LFE, so if you play a bass tone just through that channel, there's no redirected bass.
If you play a bass tone in one of the other channels (well below the crossover point), it will be purely redirected bass.

So you just have to test both without the setting enabled, and both with the setting enabled, and see what's affected. I was thinking something like a sweep from 20-30Hz with a timing reference maybe?
The good news: it does indeed advance the LFE track !
Bad news: as you predicted, it does NOT move the redirected LFE

Red and green impulse plots are from ch2(redirected LFE) with 0 and 16ms Bass Sync, while blue and black are the LFE track(ch4) with 0 and 16.
20-40hz sweeps with timing reference.

HOWEVER, if you look at the timing reference(i saved it in the name below pic), you see the LFE moves the correct 16ms, but the redirected moves half that, about ~8ms ! Strange...

And looking at the FR curve, it defenitely affects it, here the original, then with Bass Sync, and also with same delay added to the Minidsp (15ms, max of MINIDSP)

galonzo, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 02-16-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #4761 of 8260 Old 02-15-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only problem is that if the signal is louder it's likely clipping.

I would load them both into Audacity and compare that way, plus Audacity can show clipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger38 View Post
I gave it a shot on my side, not using Black Panther but Mission Impossible. I created a 4 minute clip of each PCM, FLAC and EAC3 and they all had the same volume level to my ear. (dont have a meter to check)
Aron, Younger.....Thanks so much for checking and for the feedback. At this point, I suspect it has something to do with flac files and roku or plex or a combination of both. The flac 5.1 music files should have been my first clue.

I'm going to burn both formats to BD-R and see how they compare directly from the source files without any plex/roku interfaces.

Will report back soon.

Thanks for the continued feedback and for your help with my particular situation.
Younger38 likes this.
post #4762 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 2391
Just extract audio from the remuxed files and compare in beqd

This will tell you if the output is different or not
biga6761 likes this.
post #4763 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 138
trhought. @trhought
Sent you a PM.
trhought likes this.

"The Boy has no patience" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan
My attempt living room build The Story Time Theater
14 M&K S-100B, 2 Servodrive Contrabass. 2 SVS PB12/2 Plus(ForSale). 4 V.B.S.S., 2 Adire Tempest under riser Near field Fun all in one room.
post #4764 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HOWEVER, if you look at the timing reference(i saved it in the name below pic), you see the LFE moves the correct 16ms, but the redirected moves half that, about ~8ms ! Strange...
Thanks for testing this!

Does the redirected bass actually move when using that setting? From what I can see on the graph, the red and green traces appear to be identical.
Nalleh likes this.

post #4765 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Thanks for testing this!

Does the redirected bass actually move when using that setting? From what I can see on the graph, the red and green traces appear to be identical.
Yeah, it was strange. As you say, on the impulse plot they appear indentical, but yet the timing reference show a move.. and since the LFE(ch4) showed the correct 16ms difference on both the impulse plot and the timing ref. , it seems it measured correct. And if the timing ref. shows correct, then the redirected moved half of what the LFE did.

I am stumped, LOL.

But Bass sync would work perfect for this purpose, if only you set all speakers to large= no redirected LFE

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #4766 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But Bass sync would work perfect for this purpose, if only you set all speakers to large= no redirected LFE
Yeah, but none of that bass content in the non-LFE channels going to the transducers, either

post #4767 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 398
What are people using for their Buttkicker variants? Also what sort of frequency range coverage should I be looking at? Seen some cheap ones with a 20-100hz range but ideally I'd want a 0hz and upwards?

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

post #4768 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
What are people using for their Buttkicker variants? Also what sort of frequency range coverage should I be looking at? Seen some cheap ones with a 20-100hz range but ideally I'd want a 0hz and upwards?
I'm using the BOSS....awesome tactile down to 3Hz and up as high as you want. Mine has an LPF at 80Hz to keep it feeling real. The experience is incredible...it's like you're floating on a bed of air and that bed of air is responding to every ground moving experience shown on the big screen....gotta experience it to truly believe it.

Details for the BOSS are in my build thread in my signature below. I'll be updating it with more details today based on a few recent PM questions I've been getting.

Some members in the UK are having problems getting these 12" JBL's but they are currently searching for equivalents. If they find some that work, I'll definitely update my build thread accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Alaric, galonzo and paulst like this.
post #4769 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Just extract audio from the remuxed files and compare in beqd

This will tell you if the output is different or not
Haha....Thanks 3ll3d00d. I actually thought about this yesterday but figured it must not be a good way to compare if no one has mentioned it yet.......guess I should have asked the question.

To close out the flac file volume discussion, I believe it's either plex or roku or a combination thereof.

The volume levels for both eac3 and flac are pretty darn close per below screenshots from my Wonder Woman re-mux efforts.

The first 2 pictures are from the eac3 remux and the last 2 are from the flac remux.

I showed the time domain waveforms for both the center channel and the s 5.1 channel in both remuxes. The center channel was the limiting headroom channel with the heaviest volume. I also showed the s 5.1 channel, the first one on the signal drop down menu.

Not sure what the s 5.1 channel is......could this possibly be the combination waveform for all channels of the movie?

Also, I never quite understood why it always shows the LFE channels as 4 on the remux dialog box.....my remux dialog picture post to Aron a few post above. I've always just left it as 4 when I do the remux, but shoudn't this just be 1 LFE channel?

Thanks again 3ll3d00d !

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	2526690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	2526692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	2526694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2526696  
post #4770 of 8260 Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
BassEQ Demo Clips:

4K HDR
Atomic Blonde BassEQ Demo Scene (UHD, PCM 7.1)
Ready Player One BassEQ Demo Clip (UHD, PCM 7.1)
The Meg BassEQ Demo Clip (UHD, PCM 7.1)

1080p
Unbroken BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
Finding Nemo BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
First Man BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
Olympus Has Fallen BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 5.1)
Flight of the Phoenix BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 5.1)

These are reduced in level to prevent clipping. The filenames will tell you by how much. You should increase your MV by that amount if you want it to play at a normal level.

They each contain two tracks, with and without BassEQ, so that you can switch back and forth while playing to compare.
Would be so great if these clips (and many more) can be provided in the format to burn them on Bluray like here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...demo-disc.html

USB won't work in my case on my UB900. Bluray no problem. Having these clips on Bluyray will make it a breeze. Also, now its easy to upload the PEQ using import so its 1 click process now. Putting the two together = Lots of fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page