Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 272 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26956Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8131 of 11122 Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
phatfreeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ Finding Nemo (2003) DTS-HD MA 7.1




BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1) -10dB
i just realized that my copy of nemo only has dolby true HD and I've been using the BEQ file. Is this dangerous? Thanks

My HT: 7.3.4 Denon x4300h + denon stereo amp, Hsu HB1-MK2(6), HC1-MK2, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), dual Rythmik fv25hp, b1200d, 65" LG OLEDB7A, xbone s, ps4 pro.
Classroom HT: 7.2.4 Onkyo TX-NR747, JBL L5 (LR), HSU HC-1 MK2(C), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), Pioneer SP-C22 (2-Surrounds), monoprice 6.5" towers (2-Rear surrounds), svs pb12+/2, svs pc13, Epson Powerlite 99WH
phatfreeza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8132 of 11122 Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post
i just realized that my copy of nemo only has dolby true HD and I've been using the BEQ file. Is this dangerous? Thanks
Looks like that was just a typo on my part. I just fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.
galonzo and SuperFist like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #8133 of 11122 Old 07-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Member
 
tojo_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 158
What is the probability that in the future some AVR implements built-in Bass EQ? It should obviously automatically pull in updates from github for new movies.

------------------
Polk LSiM 705 towers, 706 center, RC80i surrounds, Denon X4400H, Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks, Dual 2019 JTR-118HTs (Color -Mini Cooper Spice Orange metallic), LG 77" C8 OLED, Panny 65" Plasma.
tojo_m is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8134 of 11122 Old 07-18-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Needs to be a mobile app. Automatic updates for new movies. Type in the movie, select it, send it to the mini-dsp, and you're off.

Someone could easily charge $20. It's honestly the only way I'd get into it, and I'm not exactly tech illiterate.
SteveCallas is offline  
post #8135 of 11122 Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3ll3d00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
What is the probability that in the future some AVR implements built-in Bass EQ? It should obviously automatically pull in updates from github for new movies.
I think it is quite hard to think of something less likely than this
Alan P, galonzo, magicj1 and 1 others like this.
3ll3d00d is online now  
post #8136 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3ll3d00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Needs to be a mobile app. Automatic updates for new movies. Type in the movie, select it, send it to the mini-dsp, and you're off.



Someone could easily charge $20. It's honestly the only way I'd get into it, and I'm not exactly tech illiterate.
Well you must be pretty badly tech illiterate if you cannot follow the current process given how simple it is. Surely it must be more likely that you can't be bothered?

Regardless the issue here is not money, it is the lack of an API for controlling the DSP device. If such an API existed then it would certainly be trivial to write an app to use it. I don't think I have seen any device that has this though. minidsp, jriver, trinnov altitude are three that definitely do not and this must cover 99.9% of users.
3ll3d00d is online now  
post #8137 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nima's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Hello,

I find this BEQ interesting but I have 3 Subchannels running each 4 JBL CS1214 Subs. They have all been EQed using REW and I put GlobalEQ into Input 1 of my MiniDSP 2x4HD and after that I ran Dirac on my NAD.

How would I go about bringing this GlobalEQ into the 3 output channels? I reckon this is pretty complicated because of the interaction of those subs together? I was told that GlobalEQ into Input 1 would be the way to go.

TIA
N.
Nima is online now  
post #8138 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
jsc79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota SW Metro Area
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Hello,

I find this BEQ interesting but I have 3 Subchannels running each 4 JBL CS1214 Subs. They have all been EQed using REW and I put GlobalEQ into Input 1 of my MiniDSP 2x4HD and after that I ran Dirac on my NAD.

How would I go about bringing this GlobalEQ into the 3 output channels? I reckon this is pretty complicated because of the interaction of those subs together? I was told that GlobalEQ into Input 1 would be the way to go.

TIA
N.
The instructions to do this are in the beginning of this thread. It’s very easy to merge your sub eq on the outputs with beq on the input. Beq designer app does this.

I think this is what you are asking.
PioManiac and richardsim7 like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3/Ascend Sierra 2
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG

Last edited by jsc79; 07-19-2019 at 05:55 AM.
jsc79 is online now  
post #8139 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nima's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
No that's not what I am asking. I have all my current sub EQ on my INPUT 1 and I am asking what I should do to move it to Outputs 1 to 3. Afaik it is very difficult to get the same Global EQ with 3 outputs unless I am using something like MSO.
Nima is online now  
post #8140 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
No that's not what I am asking. I have all my current sub EQ on my INPUT 1 and I am asking what I should do to move it to Outputs 1 to 3. Afaik it is very difficult to get the same Global EQ with 3 outputs unless I am using something like MSO.
You just select the select channel tab (top left) then tick the link box and it copies the filters over
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (88).png
Views:	23
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2592482  
PioManiac and galonzo like this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060


Last edited by paulst; 07-19-2019 at 06:45 AM.
paulst is online now  
post #8141 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nima's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
But it will only link 2 channels. What if I have 3 Channels? And will using Global EQ file on all three output channels have the same FQ as using it on Input 1?

Time to measure with REW I think. ;-)

Edit: Couple of clicks and 2 REW measurements later, I can confirm it is the same. BEQ here I come.
PioManiac, galonzo, paulst and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Nima; 07-19-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Nima is online now  
post #8142 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
What is the probability that in the future some AVR implements built-in Bass EQ? It should obviously automatically pull in updates from github for new movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
I think it is quite hard to think of something less likely than this
I want to just walk into my room and my system should be able to read my mind, load the movie I want to watch,
know whether to display it on the OLED or the Projector, adjust room lighting accordingly and set the BEQ for the audio.

Perhaps some day Alexa could help with that, currently limited to 7 functions in the miniDSP controller app
(My AVR is compatible with Alexa but have not tried it (do not have a Dot/Echo in my room ...yet )








Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Needs to be a mobile app. Automatic updates for new movies. Type in the movie, select it, send it to the mini-dsp, and you're off.

Someone could easily charge $20. It's honestly the only way I'd get into it, and I'm not exactly tech illiterate.
Not sure why you need a "mobile app" for a stationary "Home Theater"

Curious if you have an app that selects a movie off your shelf and puts the disc in the tray of your player?
I can load a BEQ with a small laptop faster than I can pry a disc from its case, put it in the player, go back to my seat, close tray and hit play.

Even "if" I had my entire disc library burned to a HTPC/NAS, I would still have to select the movie off a list,
....selecting a BEQ off a very similar list for the audio is just 1 more click.

Most people who were intimidated at first, are pleasantly surprised how easy it is to implement BEQ with the miniDSP
After the initial miniDSP/BEQ'D setup, every title and every update is a couple mouse clicks away.

To save some time, I guess you could load all 4 Config presets in the miniDSP with 4 different movie BEQ's
...and those could be swapped on-the-fly from your seat with the smartphone/miniDSP Controller App.

galonzo, 3ll3d00d, magicj1 and 5 others like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-19-2019 at 08:14 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #8143 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
But it will only link 2 channels. What if I have 3 Channels?
Yes, you can only link two at a time, but you can still use the link function to copy the filters over on all the outputs.. You can link the outputs 1 & 3, then un-link them and then re-link outputs 1 with 2, so even though only two are linked, the same filters have been copied over to all 3 outputs..
Nima, PioManiac, galonzo and 1 others like this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060


Last edited by paulst; 07-19-2019 at 07:32 AM.
paulst is online now  
post #8144 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 15,356
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
@aron7awol when you make the filter set are you mostly trying to extend the spectrum based on the average or the peak?
Stereodude is offline  
post #8145 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
@PioManiac , my Echo isn't in my room (not even sure if you need one at all), but I can use the voice remote for my 4k FireTV stick (just purchased on Prime Day for $14.99, plus ethernet adapter for another $14.99) to show my Ring on-screen in my room by saying, "Alexa, show the front door" into the remote, then it shows up on-screen; guess I'll need to add the miniDSP "skill" and see if that works as well

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #8146 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Alexa doesn't seem to want to control my 2x4HD, every time, she either get's the skill wrong, or can't access the MiniDSP skill, I gave up in the end, much easier to use the app for basic stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/miniDSP-Con...-skills&sr=1-1
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is online now  
post #8147 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Same here @paulst , she reads it back as "mini disp", so I think they may need to rename the "skill"

Agreed, I just use the app to switch between presets
paulst likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #8148 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
@aron7awol when you make the filter set are you mostly trying to extend the spectrum based on the average or the peak?
Yes

I try to strike a proper balance looking at both, and just as importantly, looking at the peak spectrum. Since in many mixes the effects aren't uniformly filtered, I'm often trying to boost the most heavily filtered effects as much as possible while not boosting the less filtered effects too much, and just finding the best compromise that I think will end up as the most enjoyable result.
jamiebosco likes this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #8149 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Even "if" I had my entire disc library burned to a HTPC/NAS, I would still have to select the movie off a list,
....selecting a BEQ off a very similar list for the audio is just 1 more click.

For me personally......having a lap top in the theater and having to pull up a screen and make a few mouse clicks takes away from the movie experience for our family and our guests. It a distraction...most people don't care about what's behind the curtain before experiencing the movie. On the other hand, I've found my most engaging tech talks have happened after the movie for those interested and want to stick around to find out what the heck they just experienced. Having all that techno-gee-wiz stuff up front is a put off for 99% of the population.

However, having all our music and movies with BEQ remuxed on our local server that is served up on a sexy UI via Plex with trailers, incredibly detailed movie posters and backgrounds gets the audience juiced for what they're about to behold. They get to choose the movie they want to see complete with posters, images and trailers, then simply select it and enjoy the experience complete with BEQ and ULF TR that's totally hidden....no speakers can be seen in our theater. They don't know what's about to hit them until it does! The experience is other-worldly and magical. That magic is lost once I open the laptop and start clicking away.

For me, it's about delivering that magic to our guests and making that magic happen seamlessly and behind the scenes.

I think that may be what other users are getting at with the phone app thing. It's more discrete to use a phone to secretly load the BEQ rather than open a lap top screen in front of guests or go back to an equipment closet and fiddle around for a couple seconds.....that would be the way I would use a phone app....others will likely have different goals in mind.

Last edited by trhought; 07-19-2019 at 09:26 AM.
trhought is offline  
post #8150 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Same here @paulst , she reads it back as "mini disp", so I think they may need to rename the "skill"

Agreed, I just use the app to switch between presets
Yes it's a bit useless, she just asked me if I want to enable a Dyson skill lol.. must be for those new hoovers Shame really as 99% of the time she gets things right, just seems to be this skill.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2 ~ Behringer NX3000D & BOSS
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is online now  
post #8151 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Regardless the issue here is not money, it is the lack of an API for controlling the DSP device. If such an API existed then it would certainly be trivial to write an app to use it. I don't think I have seen any device that has this though. minidsp, jriver, trinnov altitude are three that definitely do not and this must cover 99.9% of users.
+1. It surprises me that MiniDSP hasn't created an API even for the most simple functions. Even if they just allowed loading of a configuration from a file, that would satisfy most of us. Or if they didn't want to expose an API but just made their mobile app able to load configs from a file, that would be a decent compromise that would make a lot of people happy.

I've looked at FreeDSP and the Aurora project on Kickstarter as potential "holy grail" type solutions, but there's still so much work to be done to get them to where people on this thread would really want them, and really, where we are today is pretty darn streamlined, and it keeps getting better. Thank you for your continued contribution to this project.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #8152 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
Yes it's a bit useless, she just asked me if I want to enable a Dyson skill lol.. must be for those new hoovers Shame really as 99% of the time she gets things right, just seems to be this skill.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect Amazon to be very interested in investing dollars into a skill that only a few hundred folks will ever use. I could be wrong though, especially if it means they can listen to what's going on in our theaters and living rooms and collect data about what movies we are watching and sell that info......I'll pass....
paulst and AmerCa like this.
trhought is offline  
post #8153 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
+1. It surprises me that MiniDSP hasn't created an API even for the most simple functions. Even if they just allowed loading of a configuration from a file, that would satisfy most of us. Or if they didn't want to expose an API but just made their mobile app able to load configs from a file, that would be a decent compromise that would make a lot of people happy.

I've looked at FreeDSP and the Aurora project on Kickstarter as potential "holy grail" type solutions, but there's still so much work to be done to get them to where people on this thread would really want them, and really, where we are today is pretty darn streamlined, and it keeps getting better. Thank you for your continued contribution to this project.
+1 for props to @3ll3d00d
galonzo and Kevnmin like this.
trhought is offline  
post #8154 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8525
I think it's pretty damn impressive that we have a relatively small collective of like-minded individuals
volunteering their own time/effort to break new ground in order to overcome studio imposed obstacles.

BEQ may not be perfect for everyone at this stage in its development, I totally get that,
But even the Wright Brothers had to put a plane in the sky long before NASA put a man on the Moon.



The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-19-2019 at 09:48 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #8155 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
BassEQ Stranger Things (2016) Season 2 Netflix DD+

galonzo and magicj1 like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #8156 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
BassEQ Max Payne (2008) Unrated DTS-HD MA 5.1



Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #8157 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,804
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
For me personally......having a lap top in the theater and having to pull up a screen and make a few mouse clicks takes away from the movie experience for our family and our guests. It a distraction...most people don't care about what's behind the curtain before experiencing the movie. On the other hand, I've found my most engaging tech talks have happened after the movie for those interested and want to stick around to find out what the heck they just experienced. Having all that techno-gee-wiz stuff up front is a put off for 99% of the population.

However, having all our music and movies with BEQ remuxed on our local server that is served up on a sexy UI via Plex with trailers, incredibly detailed movie posters and backgrounds gets the audience juiced for what they're about to behold. They get to choose the movie they want to see complete with posters, images and trailers, then simply select it and enjoy the experience complete with BEQ and ULF TR that's totally hidden....no speakers can be seen in our theater. They don't know what's about to hit them until it does! The experience is other-worldly and magical. That magic is lost once I open the laptop and start clicking away.

For me, it's about delivering that magic to our guests and making that magic happen seamlessly and behind the scenes.

I think that may be what other users are getting at with the phone app thing. It's more discrete to use a phone to secretly load the BEQ rather than open a lap top screen in front of guests or go back to an equipment closet and fiddle around for a couple seconds.....that would be the way I would use a phone app....others will likely have different goals in mind.
I agree with you, However, can one easily setup everything before guest arrive? I would love an app, but pre setup is a must for me, with or without BEQ.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
MKtheater is offline  
post #8158 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't expect Amazon to be very interested in investing dollars into a skill that only a few hundred folks will ever use. I could be wrong though, especially if it means they can listen to what's going on in our theaters and living rooms and collect data about what movies we are watching and sell that info......I'll pass....
Which is exactly why I only use the Alexa remote in our "Theater", it's only listening while the button is pressed, otherwise I suspect the batteries would be dead after a very short while

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I agree with you, However, can one easily setup everything before guest arrive? I would love an app, but pre setup is a must for me, with or without BEQ.
Exactly what I do; I load up the top 3, maybe 4 BEQs that a particular group would be interested in way ahead of time, then casually select the preset via the MiniDSP phone app while I'm popping in the disk. If it happens that another movie/show is required, then I pop into my den and quickly switch one of the presets at my desk
trhought, PioManiac and aron7awol like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #8159 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I agree with you, However, can one easily setup everything before guest arrive? I would love an app, but pre setup is a must for me, with or without BEQ.
From my experience, that works some of the times if all the stars align. But with large gatherings, I've found the audience likes to choose the movie on the fly after browsing the awesome Plex UI and checking out the trailers and exquisite artwork for each film. Or, sometimes they chose the film a few minutes before going into the theater, which means I have to stop what I'm doing (usually consuming spirits of some sort) and run to the equipment room and get everything ready....no fun!

It's a personal preference for sure, but I really enjoy watching guests and family browse Plex, comment on the artwork, watch a few trailers and then chose the movie they want to watch while I'm sitting in my favorite chair with a drink in hand and a big grin on my face knowing whatever they chose will have a manicured BEQ experience optimized for our theater
galonzo and AmerCa like this.

Last edited by trhought; 07-19-2019 at 11:29 AM.
trhought is offline  
post #8160 of 11122 Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,804
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
From my experience, that works some of the times if all the stars align. But with large gatherings, I've found the audience likes to choose the movie on the fly after browsing the awesome Plex UI and checking out the trailers and exquisite artwork for each film. Or, sometimes they chose the film a few minutes before going into the theater, which means I have to stop what I'm doing (usually consuming spirits of some sort) and run to the equipment room and get everything ready....no fun!

It's a personal preference for sure, but I really enjoy watching guests and family browse Plex, comment on the artwork, watch a few trailers and then chose the movie they want to watch while I'm sitting on the couch with a drink in hand and a big grin on my face
I understand completely. It always stinks when something goes wrong, or interferes with a smooth demo or movie, especially when we are trying to show off all the hard work.
jamiebosco likes this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
MKtheater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off