Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25542Likes

post #1291 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2572 Post(s)
Liked: 3458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
300?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
You got it!
That is insane!! In less than 2 months ! Congrats guys, best thread ever

And i guess Aron is responsibly for at least 50 BEQ’s ! 😂😂😂😂😂😋😜👏👍

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW: am i missing something, or is Jurassic World missing in the first post.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #1293 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
BTW: am i missing something, or is Jurassic World missing in the first post.
Yes, I was going to mention it to Aron when I did the last batch update, that we just needed one more to finish out the series,
...unless he did post it and I just missed it, totally possible because they all start to look the same after a while

[EDIT] Found it, page 10

added
SuperFist and aron7awol like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-03-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I finally received my miniDSP HD - ready to rock! I have a few questions for those of you actively using the miniDSP for BEQ.

I'm placing the miniDSP between the sub outs of the pre/pro - and the input of my two powered subs - leaving the miniDSP inline and running a brand new Audyssee calibration (I'm curious to see the sub delay/distance settings with and without the miniDSP).

My goal is to use 'Config 1" as the separate Bypass Preset for unfiltered movies, and using the other three for BEQ'd movies.

My basic approach will be to enter the BEQ filters on input channel 1, linking with input channel 2. I don't intent on touching the output channels at all, leaving everything else to Audyssee. I'm trying to establish what the minimum work is to implement BEQ on the miniDSP.

Questions:

1) Is it safe to assume that all factory default values will not impact the audio signal (perhaps other than delay)? In other words, if I use the input channels for BEQ filters, can I leave all the output channels "as is" - including the default crossovers and filter settings. The alternative I guess would be to go through and set "bypass" for everything on the output side.

2) When setting the BEQ filters on a channel, are you also selecting "bypass" for all the unused bands, or leaving them at the factory defaults?

Personal Note: I find the miniDSP remote practically useless as it does not reliably change the active config. Sometimes I have to press a button numerous times to get it to change as displayed on my computer. Given the importance of ensuring the Bypass Preset config is actually selected for unfiltered movies, the miniDSP has no external indicators for which config is currently selected. I still have to connect to the miniDSP anyway to guarantee things are correct, and I can change to the proper config from the computer.

However I am considering purchasing the Wifi accessory to avoid having to run the USB connection to my computer every time I want to make a change. You guys happy with the Wifi product?

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #1295 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2803 Post(s)
Liked: 11979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
I finally received my miniDSP HD - ready to rock! I have a few questions for those of you actively using the miniDSP for BEQ.

I'm placing the miniDSP between the sub outs of the pre/pro - and the input of my two powered subs - leaving the miniDSP inline and running a brand new Audyssee calibration (I'm curious to see the sub delay/distance settings with and without the miniDSP).

My goal is to use 'Config 1" as the separate Bypass Preset for unfiltered movies, and using the other three for BEQ'd movies.

My basic approach will be to enter the BEQ filters on input channel 1, linking with input channel 2. I don't intent on touching the output channels at all, leaving everything else to Audyssee. I'm trying to establish what the minimum work is to implement BEQ on the miniDSP.

Questions:

1) Is it safe to assume that all factory default values will not impact the audio signal (perhaps other than delay)? In other words, if I use the input channels for BEQ filters, can I leave all the output channels "as is" - including the default crossovers and filter settings. The alternative I guess would be to go through and set "bypass" for everything on the output side.

2) When setting the BEQ filters on a channel, are you also selecting "bypass" for all the unused bands, or leaving them at the factory defaults?
Welcome to the BEQ club!

Your approach makes sense and should work perfectly for what you're trying to do. Definitely check the crossovers and filters for each of the inputs and outputs you're using. I think they will have a default crossover you'll want to bypass. I personally also bypass any filters I'm not using, although if they set to 0dB gain by default it shouldn't make a difference.
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #1296 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8449
I had zero success getting the miniDSP WI-DG wireless bridge to connect to the internet through my wireless router or when hardwired direct to my router or my laptop.
The instructions seem ridiculous, requires you to download a windows friendly version of the i-Tunes app to your PC to get the "mDNS service" to use the WI-DG
I did that, but made no difference. Why cant they just include the required software to run their freaking hardware via FW update on the miniDSP website???

Tossed it back in the box and decided I will go another round later with their tech support forum when I have more time.

...maybe I'll try again this weekend after I get my Crowson's setup (NOT!)
(my monoprice order finally arrived with my extra Coax sub cables, Y-Splitters and Speaker wire)

My new AVR supports Amazon Alexa
(that is also able to voice control like the miniDSP 2x4HD through the WI-DG)
But I don't have an Echo unit picked out yet
biga6761 likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-03-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #1297 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I had zero success getting the miniDSP WI-DG wireless bridge to connect to the internet through my wireless router or when hardwired direct to my router or my laptop.
The instructions seem ridiculous, requires you to download a windows friendly version of the i-Tunes app to your PC to get the "mDNS service" to use the WI-DG
I did that, but made no difference. Why cant they just include the required software to run their freaking hardware via FW update on the miniDSP website???

Tossed it back in the box and decided I will go another round later with their tech support forum when I have more time.

(my monoprice order finally arrived with my extra Coax sub cables, Y-Splitters and Speaker wire)

(that is also able to voive control the miniDSP 2x4HD through the WI-DG)

Yikes, keep us up to date on your progress with the Wifi - for now I'll take a pass on the thing though - just hard connect for simplicity. I agree they should provide what you need.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #1298 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 4047
Quote:

(that is also able to voice control like the miniDSP 2x4HD through the WI-DG)
Awesome on the Crowsons, cables etc! Looking forward to your impressions! If you think you like your system now, you’re in for a real treat once you get your levels and timing right on your MA’s. You’ll probably wonder why in the heck you didn’t do it sooner. They raise the realistic and fun factor up several notches!

Darn on the wireless gadget. @Nalleh – any problems with yours? I don’t have one yet but want to get one. For now though, I just keep my usb cables connected at all times for BEQ, for both 2x4’s (I have to run two for all my crap). I need a 10x10 so I can have everything all on one mini to go with the WI-DG. Sheeesh …always more HT goodies we need!
biga6761 likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #1299 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Questions:

Personal Note: I find the miniDSP remote practically useless as it does not reliably change the active config. Sometimes I have to press a button numerous times to get it to change as displayed on my computer. Given the importance of ensuring the Bypass Preset config is actually selected for unfiltered movies, the miniDSP has no external indicators for which config is currently selected. I still have to connect to the miniDSP anyway to guarantee things are correct, and I can change to the proper config from the computer.

However I am considering purchasing the Wifi accessory to avoid having to run the USB connection to my computer every time I want to make a change. You guys happy with the Wifi product?
I just got my miniDSP setup, and there are crossovers set on the output channels by default. Two of the channels are set to low pass and two are set to high pass if I remember correctly.

Also, the Wifi connector works great for me. Took a while to run through all the installers that are needed for it though (needs iTunes installed for a particular service it uses).
post #1300 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the BEQ club!

Your approach makes sense and should work perfectly for what you're trying to do. Definitely check the crossovers and filters for each of the inputs and outputs you're using. I think they will have a default crossover you'll want to bypass. I personally also bypass any filters I'm not using, although if they set to 0dB gain by default it shouldn't make a difference.

I saw @PioManiac mentioned bypassing the output channel's high-pass crossover in his instructional write-up, I'll double check on that - and likely play it safe by bypassing the unused filters as you mention.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #1301 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
I just got my miniDSP setup, and there are crossovers set on the output channels by default. Two of the channels are set to low pass and two are set to high pass if I remember correctly.

Also, the Wifi connector works great for me. Took a while to run through all the installers that are needed for it though (needs iTunes installed for a particular service it uses).

Just like Pio mentioned then on the crossovers. Still not sure I want to deal with the iTunes issue. Thanks for the info.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #1302 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Regarding the WI-DG i use a Mac, so it went pretty smooth getting it up and running.

Nalleh’s HT
post #1303 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1798
Quote:
BEQ Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) Preliminary Amazon DD+ 5.1

I'll update this once the lossless audio drops...
I was waiting for this graph. My experience at the theater was very underwhelming, and the graph seems to indicate there's not much bass. There were many scenes in the movie that call for big bass, and by the looks of it, the track won't deliver. I don't have many hopes for the lossless track.

How did you find the audio mix?

Enviado desde mi SM-G318ML mediante Tapatalk
biga6761 likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #1304 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@aron7awol - did you do a BEQ yet for the latest Mummy? I could have swore you did

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #1305 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
@aron7awol - did you do a BEQ yet for the latest Mummy? I could have swore you did
I'll do one now...
SBuger likes this.

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #1306 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BEQ The Mummy (2017) Atmos

post #1307 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 1824
Am I right in thinking that -10 on the graph = 0dB once it exits the AVR via the LFE output, so is that a heavily clipped 25Hz signal?
post #1308 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BassEQ Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) DTS-HD MA 6.1

Last edited by aron7awol; 08-15-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #1309 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
Am I right in thinking that -10 on the graph = 0dB once it exits the AVR via the LFE output, so is that a heavily clipped 25Hz signal?
No, why do you think -10dB on the graph corresponds to the maximum output of the LFE?
biga6761 likes this.

post #1310 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are a couple previous posts I made that might help shed some light for you:

Quote:
The graph doesn't tell you whether there are reference peaks, because this is a spectral analysis. It is taking the complex waveform and breaking it down to its individual components. The graph is only showing the peaks of the individual components.

When the channels are mixed before generating the graphs, the non-LFE channels are lowered by 20.2dB, and LFE is lowered by 10.2dB. This is because individual channels could already be clipping or close to clipping, and if they are mixed without lowering the signal, they would clip (or clip more if already clipped). So when you see -15dB on the graph, that doesn't mean it will be at 15dB below reference when playing on your calibrated system, even ignoring the paragraph above which further complicates matters.

Whether you need reference output from your subs will be determined by your listening levels and how hot you run your subs. Also consider that with bass management, when playing at reference 115dB is nowhere near the hottest peak that could be sent to your subs. There will be peaks in excess of 120dB when playing normal material.
Quote:
I'm cross-posting this from the Bass Content thread, because it ties into this thread just as much as the other, and could be a valuable lesson in understanding these graphs and exactly what they represent...

I'll use Flight of the Phoenix as an example to illustrate what the graph tells you about the mix relative to peak reference level, since it contains the hottest transient I am aware of in a movie.

Here's the PvA graph of the whole movie:

That huge peak is at -5.38dB @ 32.3Hz. -20.2dB corresponds to 105dB, so that 32.3Hz peak is at 119.82dB! That is already hot, however we must remember that the graph is only showing peaks of individual frequency components of the waveform, which means the actual peak of the waveform, or the transient peak, can be significantly higher depending on how the individual components interfere, whether constructively or destructively.

Here's the full waveform at timestamp 00:15:39 of the individual channels, as well as the mix with -10.2dB for LFE, and -20.2dB for all other channels:

The hottest transient occurs at 00:15:39.286. You can see the LFE track actually contains square waves at -0.09dBFS (114.91dB), and that, combined with the other channels, results in a peak transient at -2.27dB, or 122.93dB!
richardsim7 and biga6761 like this.

post #1311 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My thinking was with the +10dB added to LFE then that'd equal 0 - obviously I was wrong, having read the above, I get it now
post #1312 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BassEQ Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) DTS-HD MA 6.1

Last edited by aron7awol; 08-15-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #1313 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BassEQ Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) DTS-HD MA 6.1

Last edited by aron7awol; 08-15-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #1314 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
My thinking was with the +10dB added to LFE then that'd equal 0 - obviously I was wrong, having read the above, I get it now
Gotcha, I can see why you would think that.

If you want to ask any clarifying questions, please do. I didn't mean for my first question to come across snarky, and hope it didn't, but I'm more than happy to help clarify anything that you might be wondering.

For example, you might wonder, why -10.2dB for LFE and -20.2dB for the others, before mixing? I think you know why they are different by 10dB (because you know LFE is always 10dB hotter), but you may not have realized that the extra 10dB of hotness for the LFE track is not actually encoded into the track itself, and it's only when it is actually mixed by the processor, that the processor actually just mixes it 10dB hotter than the rest.

Even knowing all that, you might wonder why those specific gains when mixing for these graphs? -20.2dB seems kind of arbitrary, right? Well, if you consider mixing a 7.1 track with all channels maxed out and coherent, what level would they sum to? That would be 115dB for LFE and 105dB for all others. If you add coherent sources, 115dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB = 125.2dB. The max level of one of the non-LFE channels is 105dB, which corresponds to -20.2dB, which means the theoretical maximum 7.1 signal with all fully coherent sources maxed out of 125.2dB would result in 0dB. That is exactly why -20.2dB was chosen, so that we could never exceed it. This also means that the theoretical max with a 5.1 source would be -3dB.

Last edited by aron7awol; 10-04-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #1315 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BEQ The Mummy (2017) Atmos

Thanks for BEQing this one so fast, as usual! You’re the Man! You are really nailing the overshoot these days with the additional PEQ filter too. It does make a difference. I can really tell. On some of the older ones that didn’t get any overshoot comp, I’ve been adding in a PEQ filter in addition to all the LS’s. Mine isn’t as precise as yours but comes real close and can easily be heard and felt. You wouldn’t think a 1db or so in the 25-60hz area would make much diff, but it can on certain scenes if your aware. It’s pretty easy to tell if you pick a couple of good scenes and play them with no BEQ as is, then with BEQ with no overshoot comp. Then with BEQ plus the overshoot comp. The later will feel identical in the 25hz and over area plus the better lower end. Without the overshoot, the low end is obviously better but can feel just a little lacking in the area above that on some tracks. Only the pickiest of picky may notice this though, and might not even care if they do since the ULF is so much better LOL

I’m finding a lot of times (on the ones that don’t have it included) that somewhere in the 40hz region of about 1db or so with a Q of 1 or so usually does the trick quite nicely on most. Like I was saying though, not as accurate as yours but makes it hard to tell a diff if at all most of the time. I know most probably don’t care, and sometimes I don’t either, but depending on the track sometimes I do if it’s one I play frequently and one of my favs. Another solution is to just raise sub trim levels if you don’t mind a db or so more in the ULF and above 50-60ish hz area to get the middle area back up.

Easy fix though if one has enough filter spots for the ones that need compensation though.

Keep up the amazing work man!! You too @3II3dood, much appreciated guys!! Ive been enjoying the BEQs of quite a few of them lately! Gonna try out Skyscraper with BEQ maybe tonight

I love the way these graphs are looking these days as well. They just keep getting better and better!!

Would you mind doing a BEQ for Batman vs Superman, even though its already pretty damn good, but could be better I'm sure. LOL Im promise i wasn't just buttering you up so i could ask for another BEQ
brahman12, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

post #1316 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BEQ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) Extended Atmos

post #1317 of 10526 Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Thanks man, one of my all times favorites for bass!!! I love the overall sound mix and movie too!!

I think we all have our favorites that play to the strengths of our systems that makes them shine, whether it be a certain sound to the bass, TR or frequency (or all of the above) etc. Well this is one of those for me for sure and will always be part of my demo material.

I’m thinking the BEQ will bring out a bit more awesomeness on this one. Can’t wait to try it out

Last edited by SBuger; 10-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.
post #1318 of 10526 Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you want to ask any clarifying questions, please do. I didn't mean for my first question to come across snarky, and hope it didn't, but I'm more than happy to help clarify anything that you might be wondering.

For example, you might wonder, why -10.2dB for LFE and -20.2dB for the others, before mixing? I think you know why they are different by 10dB (because you know LFE is always 10dB hotter), but you may not have realized that the extra 10dB of hotness for the LFE track is not actually encoded into the track itself, and it's only when it is actually mixed by the processor, that the processor actually just mixes it 10dB hotter than the rest.

Even knowing all that, you might wonder why those specific gains when mixing for these graphs? -20.2dB seems kind of arbitrary, right? Well, if you consider mixing a 7.1 track with all channels maxed out and coherent, what level would they sum to? That would be 115dB for LFE and 105dB for all others. If you add coherent sources, 115dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB = 125.2dB. The max level of one of the non-LFE channels is 105dB, which corresponds to -20.2dB, which means the theoretical maximum 7.1 signal with all fully coherent sources maxed out would result in 0dB. That is exactly why -20.2dB was chosen, so that we could never exceed it. This also means that the theoretical max with a 5.1 source would be -3dB.

Of course, didn't think it was snarky at all

What about a 7.1.4 setup, could that exceed 125.2dB because there's 4 more speakers?
aron7awol likes this.
post #1319 of 10526 Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 5406
Quote:

Even knowing all that, you might wonder why those specific gains when mixing for these graphs? -20.2dB seems kind of arbitrary, right? Well, if you consider mixing a 7.1 track with all channels maxed out and coherent, what level would they sum to? That would be 115dB for LFE and 105dB for all others. If you add coherent sources, 115dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB + 105dB = 125.2dB. The max level of one of the non-LFE channels is 105dB, which corresponds to -20.2dB, which means the theoretical maximum 7.1 signal with all fully coherent sources maxed out would result in 0dB. That is exactly why -20.2dB was chosen, so that we could never exceed it. This also means that the theoretical max with a 5.1 source would be -3dB.
Damn, dude... you have certainly Edu-Mo-Cated me!
post #1320 of 10526 Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Regarding the beqdesigner releases, I see both a beqdesigner.exe and a beqdesignerSetup.exe (for release 0.3.5 in this case).

So, I initially installed an earlier release using the Setup executable, is the other just a self-contained executable not requiring setup? Generally, what is the suggested best practice for updating to a new release on an existing installation?

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page