Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34306Likes

post #14041 of 14676 Old 06-01-2020, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhootZ View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this but while chilling at home, over the weekend. My wife and I decided to watch the fast and furious movies. On reaching Fast and furious 6 I realized something awkward. It was available on Amazon prime so I just applied the bass eq and started watching it. Within first 5 minutes I felt the sound was off. I thought maybe it was just movie fatigue. Watching 5 movies in 30 hours can cause that, I guess. At about the 10 minute mark, I got put off and decided to play the bluray instead. Suddenly the movie sounded alive and so much better. I thought, maybe it's just me trying to justify purchasing the box set and decided to play via prime again and the movie sounded dead again. Is my experience unique or does everyone feel the same? Coz if it is so different I'll have to really go all out and buy so many bluray (esp TV shows). Internet speeds are 50 mbps up and 50 mbps down with a low ping (2ms) so I wouldn't say that should be a bottleneck. Nvidia shield pro 2019 was used to stream Amazon prime.
It's most likely the mix that Amazon is streaming. We usually see different mixes with them and it could be a bad one.

As for justification to buy the box set, I recommend buying anything that you care about on physical media and not not counting on streaming services for them. With the way things have been going I don't trust them not to edit and mess up old movies. They just did it with Splash, old Doctor Who has been getting changed to make the new crap fit in canon, there was just a mess up with netflix showing a foreign censored cut of a movie, etc. Even going back 20 years now I'd love to have a good copy of the original cuts of Star Wars and not the special editions. They can't do that with physical media.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
It's been in mine for some time. I am a fan of that movie!
ah so it is, I should have looked beyond the 1st page of the thread.
post #14043 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I would like to send a quick shoutout to the BEQ crew ! @3ll3d00d - Thank you for beqdesigner! Without your ability to program, we the community would be completely lost on getting a 'beqdesigner'. @aron7awol - Your ability to take the tools available and provide a response to all the requests, making our experience so enjoyable. @MOberhardt - Keeping up with the requests and making the profiles available for us to use when we all go looking for a load. @DesertDog - Thanks for keeping us headed in the right direction !

Finally, something I just came across and really didn't realize, but when the Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 supports BEQ low shelfs from the factory ! This is market changing! Awesome job on not only driving the community, but driving changes into the products of companies. This is HUGE.

Thank you BEQ crew!

HT1.0 | HT2.05 | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82II/RC-64II/RS-42II/RS-41II/RB-61II/CDT3800-C-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14044 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2759 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
As I am about to get a Monoprice HTP-1, is it practical to use that over my MiniDSP HD? I read the guide for BEQ Designer using it with an HTP-1 but it doesn't seem as user friendly as I have it now (load a filter and bam done). Plus I think I saw a note that it doesn't support shelf filters?
post #14045 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ Star Trek (2009) Atmos
Oh gee, now that is a reference LFE soundtrack with or without BEQ, and I'd shake the hand of the audio engineers responsible for it.

I'd take this as a perfect example disc to show someone who was wondering how nice subwoofers and Crowsons enhance a movie. And why you can achieve so much more at home than at a cinema...

I was literally having hairs on my neck stand up during that Sabotage song. Nice drum kicks too. Never happened before.
m0j0, meles, galonzo and 1 others like this.
post #14046 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Oh gee, now that is a reference LFE soundtrack with or without BEQ, and I'd shake the hand of the audio engineers responsible for it.

I'd take this as a perfect example disc to show someone who was wondering how nice subwoofers and Crowsons enhance a movie. And why you can achieve so much more at home than at a cinema...

I was literally having hairs on my neck stand up during that Sabotage song. Nice drum kicks too. Never happened before.
Yes, great movie and soundtrack.

My HT Build
Marantz SR6011 + Yamaha RX-V671. JVC RS-420 - 92" Elite Screens Cinetension 2 electric screen, Panasonic 65" plasma
7.3.4 Atmos setup - Definitive Technology - BP8 (2), CLR2500, Supercube II (2), Supercube 3 (1), BPX1.2x (2), BPX2 (2), DI 5.5 (4)

Last edited by chrisnack; 06-02-2020 at 01:14 PM.
post #14047 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 187
BEQphiles,
In what manner are you using minidsp HD's Outputs to improve your response before you even apply BEQ. Do you all just use the REW tool to generate settings (biquad file like in the following):

Do some of you manually set the PEQ's? (which is what I do)

Is it possible for BEQ on the input to interact oddly with either of these type of settings? I just went through a lot of hoops to smooth my lowest bass with my current configuration and I'm very fearful that this is the case particulary in the lowest bass frequencies.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
post #14048 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Sonic The Hedgehog is badass, especially in Dolby Atmos!
Check out the cool effect at 26:44 min. Everything in the house went nuts like it was about to throw up an earthquake!
Apologies for bringing up the old post. (I did read your post way back and wanted to give it a try).
I finally got to watch this last night. The entire movie felt too good with more than enough TR and bass. Every time the black bus rolled it was awesome, the high way chase scene was even more crazy. Hopefully for the next installment they keep the same audio engineer.
galonzo, SuperFist and aron7awol like this.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #14049 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

@giomania

What microphone are you using?

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
post #14050 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Please anyone know in the behringer nx3000d, I use LS6 or LS12, also i have no Q adjust for these settings will this matter as they are usuall at 1 or very close in the graphs, Thanks.
post #14051 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
@giomania

What microphone are you using?

I have a MiniDSP UMIK-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
meles likes this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #14052 of 14676 Old 06-02-2020, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Would it be possible to have a look at ‘Jaws’ please Aron.
aron7awol likes this.
post #14053 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 7558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
...I'd love to have a good copy of the original cuts of Star Wars and not the special editions.
Yessir!

post #14054 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I have a MiniDSP UMIK-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's what I have and feel its got errors in the bass below 40 Hz. This is what we should have:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

I suspect mine is reading high by even 3 or 4 db. Even if you have Cross-spectrum calibrated umik-1, I'd try wagging these shelf settings up and down by 0.1 db increments:
Frequency (always 10 or 11; try in this area)
DB up to +-6 db
Q 0.5 and maybe up to 0.7

I find (and is it really mic error or just a house curve I'm hearing?) that this setting holds for all movies once you cork sniff it in. Try it on your input (don't listen to 10 PEQ BEQ) and then once its working transfer to your outputs in use. With luck that will give a less objectional sound at high volumes and with greater luck you might end up preferring a little lower level.

post #14055 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
As I am about to get a Monoprice HTP-1, is it practical to use that over my MiniDSP HD? I read the guide for BEQ Designer using it with an HTP-1 but it doesn't seem as user friendly as I have it now (load a filter and bam done). Plus I think I saw a note that it doesn't support shelf filters?
the latest firmware supports shelf filters

it is marginally more involved to use as there is no equivalent to a pregenerated offline config file to load up instead you have to remove the previous filter and add the new one. I wouldn't call this a taxing process personally but I'm not the one using it so you can make your own mind up on that front
galonzo and aron7awol like this.
post #14056 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
That's what I have and feel its got errors in the bass below 40 Hz. This is what we should have:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

I suspect mine is reading high by even 3 or 4 db. Even if you have Cross-spectrum calibrated umik-1, I'd try wagging these shelf settings up and down by 0.1 db increments:
Frequency (always 10 or 11; try in this area)
DB up to +-6 db
Q 0.5 and maybe up to 0.7

I find (and is it really mic error or just a house curve I'm hearing?) that this setting holds for all movies once you cork sniff it in. Try it on your input (don't listen to 10 PEQ BEQ) and then once its working transfer to your outputs in use. With luck that will give a less objectional sound at high volumes and with greater luck you might end up preferring a little lower level.
Sorry, I should have been more precise; I do have the calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Acoustics. The issue with adjusting the filters on the subs is that Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO) created them for all the subs to work as a system, and I don't think I should mess with them. That said, MSO allows for adding "Constraints" in the options, so that may be where these types of limitations can be set.

There was also the suggestion to use a more aggressive target curve than the Harman example curve (provided by MSO) that I am using, which would probably allow me to implement a lower starting "Reference Level" in MSO.

I have been thinking about possibly using the Master Volume (MV) on the miniDSP to adjust the sub level as needed for problematic source material. Maybe that is a solution? I don't know if that is necessary until I have watched more movies with BEQ with the new configuration. Aside from my test material, I have watched:

The Invisible Man, which was great, but probably could have been turned down in the bass region.
21 Bridges, which was fine, but not much bass in that one, I think.

I am thinking about the various options right now.

Thanks for the input and the tip on the possible UMIK-1 issues.

Mark
meles likes this.

post #14057 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Wi-DG Issues.....

So the past couple of nights I've watched films after getting and installing the Wi-DG and i've noticed when the movie is paused, there was some crackling, particularly in the Atmos speakers.....I started checking my Atmos receiver, which turning those channels off reduced, but then i noticed it in the Main speakers too. I started wondering if I'd changed something and cables and bits and recalled swapping my 2x4HD onto a live circuit rather than a conditioned one.
Unplugging and bingo, no crackle. I tried plugging into the conditioned circuit and still crackle and then I realised i'd added the Wi-Dg and unplugged that and YUP, we have a winner.

Plugging back in and it was less, but after a few mins crackle back again, so I'm thinking Wifi - Anyone else had issues with this and solved them???

At least it's not my system, but the Wi-Dg does make it more convenient....

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #14058 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ Tangled (2010) Atmos

This is SOOOOO hot compared with the DTS-MA 7.1 on my 3D Bluray disk. Good job i've got a fair bit of headroom in my system and it did liven up the movie to almost roller-coaster levels, which also looks pretty AMAZING in 3D on my Epson PJ
aron7awol likes this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #14059 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
the latest firmware supports shelf filters

it is marginally more involved to use as there is no equivalent to a pregenerated offline config file to load up instead you have to remove the previous filter and add the new one. I wouldn't call this a taxing process personally but I'm not the one using it so you can make your own mind up on that front

Reading the BEQ page on the HTP-1, I am a little confused. Would I have to manually enter each variable for the given movie (EX. Movie calls for four shelf filters at 20Hz, I have to manually input those) or does the HTP-1 now support upload of an XML file for automatic configuration?
post #14060 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Wi-DG Issues.....

So the past couple of nights I've watched films after getting and installing the Wi-DG and i've noticed when the movie is paused, there was some crackling, particularly in the Atmos speakers.....I started checking my Atmos receiver, which turning those channels off reduced, but then i noticed it in the Main speakers too. I started wondering if I'd changed something and cables and bits and recalled swapping my 2x4HD onto a live circuit rather than a conditioned one.
Unplugging and bingo, no crackle. I tried plugging into the conditioned circuit and still crackle and then I realised i'd added the Wi-Dg and unplugged that and YUP, we have a winner.

Plugging back in and it was less, but after a few mins crackle back again, so I'm thinking Wifi - Anyone else had issues with this and solved them???

At least it's not my system, but the Wi-Dg does make it more convenient....
It's funny you should mention this. Just last week I started playing around with my miniDSP 2x4HD for calibrating my subs and BEQ and was experiencing the ocassional crackle through my speakers. I also use the Wi-DG but I didn't know what was causing it because it's also the first time I had my laptop connected to the system. So I wasn't sure if it was coming from the laptop or the miniDSP. I never considered it might be the wifi dongle. I'll have to look into that.

I really hope this doesn't become an issue becuse the equipment for my system is in another room and I would have to go back and forth to set up each movie. Not very convenient.
post #14061 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a heads-up for those wanting to dive into the Bass EQ rabbit hole, my MiniDSP 2x4 HD and Wi-DG are listed in the classifieds. Will attempt to use the HTP-1 going forward.
post #14062 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 7558
Quote:
Just a heads-up for those wanting to dive into the Bass EQ rabbit hole, my MiniDSP 2x4 HD and Wi-DG are listed in the classifieds. Will attempt to use the HTP-1 going forward.
Don't you think you might want to try it out for awhile before you sell those? If you decide that Monoprice HTP-1 doesn't work as you expected, then you could always take that back and continue using the MiniDSP 2x4 HD.
post #14063 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Don't you think you might want to try it out for awhile before you sell those? If you decide that Monoprice HTP-1 doesn't work as you expected, then you could always take that back and continue using the MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

Imma take the plunge. The extra funds help offset a little of the upgrade cost anyways. If it works, awesome. If it doesn't....maybe it'll nag at me to come back, maybe it won't. But from reading the guide, it seems like the HTP-1 has everything needed to work just like the MiniDSP in terms of PEQ, just without the streamlined quick switching.
post #14064 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
I have been thinking about possibly using the Master Volume (MV) on the miniDSP to adjust the sub level as needed for problematic source material. Maybe that is a solution?
Changing the gain of your bass system moves the acoustic crossover around, which I don't like.

What kind of curves are people running here?
I'm on the setting below, which I really like for music. I have the EQ on the input side of the mini, which then applies to my subs and the BOSS platform.
Room response is flat without the two shelves. I think I'd like a tilt shelf of like 3db per decade over the entire frequency band, but I can't do that with my current setup. Does Audyssey XT32 allow for input side EQ for system tuning?

giomania likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #14065 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The HTP-1 can EQ down to 10 Hz like the miniDSP 2x4 HD?

Mark

post #14066 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
Changing the gain of your bass system moves the acoustic crossover around, which I don't like.

What kind of curves are people running here?
I'm on the setting below, which I really like for music. I have the EQ on the input side of the mini, which then applies to my subs and the BOSS platform.
Room response is flat without the two shelves. I think I'd like a tilt shelf of like 3db per decade over the entire frequency band, but I can't do that with my current setup. Does Audyssey XT32 allow for input side EQ for system tuning?

OK, so MV adjustment for only the bass is not a solution.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking to do with Audyssey, but if you have a Denon/Marantz AVP/AVR, the MultEQ Editor app provides greater control over Audyssey, like per-channel curve editors and limiting EQ by frequency to name two big features.

Mark
Alaric and galonzo like this.

post #14067 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
BEQphiles,
In what manner are you using minidsp HD's Outputs to improve your response before you even apply BEQ. Do you all just use the REW tool to generate settings (biquad file like in the following):

...video snipt ...

Do some of you manually set the PEQ's? (which is what I do)

Is it possible for BEQ on the input to interact oddly with either of these type of settings? I just went through a lot of hoops to smooth my lowest bass with my current configuration and I'm very fearful that this is the case particulary in the lowest bass frequencies.
I went through this video, and the so called 'sub aligning' is seems to be incorrect. This video is NOT how to time align subs. Here's the book on how to time align subs. Page 26 and 27 are perfect examples.
Yes, I use the EQ function for each sub, that are time aligned to achieve a flatter/smoother/downward FR for each sub.
Then I scan the sum of the whole IE, all the subs, I make changes with the PEQ to level/smooth the FR across the room, and apply those on the output for individual subs and rescan, rinse and repeat.. Tedious, yes. it is, however, in the video.. he applies a 'peanut butter spread' method, and yes it can work, but, not the way I prefer. As I'd rather control the individual culprit of the problem frequency at the source sub, versus every sub not outputting that frequency to achieve the desired response.

I'm not sure on your last question though as far as the BEQ interacting oddly. I haven't notice anything, so I don't know I understand what you mean by that.

Now, I am not saying that the video FR response is not bad at the end, but I'd like to see it with properly aligned subs to make the virtual sub speaker more in sync with what the Audyssey or Dirac would expect with just a "single sub unit".
meles likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05 | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82II/RC-64II/RS-42II/RS-41II/RB-61II/CDT3800-C-II
post #14068 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
I am not sure exactly what you are looking to do with Audyssey, but if you have a Denon/Marantz AVP/AVR, the MultEQ Editor app provides greater control over Audyssey, like per-channel curve editors and limiting EQ by frequency to name two big features.

Mark

Sorry I should've worded this differently. I was refering to the MultEQ function, but I thought only the XT32 models had it. Mine doesn't
giomania likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #14069 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
I went through this video, and the so called 'sub aligning' is seems to be incorrect. This video is NOT how to time align subs. Here's the book on how to time align subs. Page 26 and 27 are perfect examples.
Yes, I use the EQ function for each sub, that are time aligned to achieve a flatter/smoother/downward FR for each sub.
Then I scan the sum of the whole IE, all the subs, I make changes with the PEQ to level/smooth the FR across the room, and apply those on the output for individual subs and rescan, rinse and repeat.. Tedious, yes. it is, however, in the video.. he applies a 'peanut butter spread' method, and yes it can work, but, not the way I prefer. As I'd rather control the individual culprit of the problem frequency at the source sub, versus every sub not outputting that frequency to achieve the desired response.

I'm not sure on your last question though as far as the BEQ interacting oddly. I haven't notice anything, so I don't know I understand what you mean by that.

Now, I am not saying that the video FR response is not bad at the end, but I'd like to see it with properly aligned subs to make the virtual sub speaker more in sync with what the Audyssey or Dirac would expect with just a "single sub unit".
I've found it to be much quicker and simpler to time align the subs in REW (now using the time alignment tool which removes the need to adjust, re-test, over and over again) to achieve the flattest combined response (fewest dips) then apply the same EQ to all outputs.

So, for my four subs I measure the front two (which read pretty much the same), create an aligned sum from a 0 gain, 0 delay adjustment, then I measure one of the back ones, add that to the aligned sum applying whatever delay gives the best response, then do the other back one applying whatever delay that one needs to give the smoothest response.

From that point on I treat them as a single sub. I have aligned sum 1 (subs 1 and 2), aligned sum 2 (subs (1+2) and 3), aligned sum 3 (subs ((1+2)+3) and 4).
EQ is generated against aligned sum 3 and applied to all four outputs.

I've actually dropped back to three subs now but I use the same process.
galonzo likes this.
post #14070 of 14676 Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post
It's funny you should mention this. Just last week I started playing around with my miniDSP 2x4HD for calibrating my subs and BEQ and was experiencing the ocassional crackle through my speakers. I also use the Wi-DG but I didn't know what was causing it because it's also the first time I had my laptop connected to the system. So I wasn't sure if it was coming from the laptop or the miniDSP. I never considered it might be the wifi dongle. I'll have to look into that.

I really hope this doesn't become an issue becuse the equipment for my system is in another room and I would have to go back and forth to set up each movie. Not very convenient.

Yeah....I got it as my laptop is spending more time in my living room these days on zoom calls and as such I wasn't watching movies.

My temp fix is to unplug the Wi-Dg when watching, but it's hardly a solution. I don't know if moving the box further away from things could help or some such other thing I can physically do. Not sure if the Ethernet connection would solve it, though again less than ideal in my current set-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page