Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19908Likes

post #2401 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Starting to get really jealous of you folks watching and reporting on these awesome flicks before they become available on physical media for the masses.
Just kidding brother...Lol. My fault for being an audiofile, physical media snob. However, I fell in love with Tidal about a year ago, and slowly/painfully accepting that physical media is slowly but surely going the way of the Dodo.
Well, I'm totally spoiled on the MKV lossless for these movies (for many reasons) and made the jump a long time ago, BUT I still haven't accepted streaming yet for ultimate quality on movies. That said I'm not setup with Xbox like Pio uses (I think that's what he said he uses) and said is pretty darn good (like streaming Stranger Things in Atmos, while the physical disc does not have Atmos).

I still have some of my movies on physical disc, but hardly ever use the actual disc itself besides for 3D. I can't see or hear any diff at all on the lossless MKV vs physical. Not that having a huge collection of them all isn't awesome. Take Pio's for example with all his steel books etc. You may have a similar collection. That in itself is a pretty cool sight to behold and own.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ The Incredible Hulk (2008) Atmos

Hey Bud...Great work!

But the audio track should be labelled as DTS:X
....or DTS-HD MA 7.1

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIH.png
Views:	118
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	2484432  
SuperFist, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #2403 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Well, I'm totally spoiled on the MKV lossless for these movies (for many reasons) and made the jump a long time ago, BUT I still haven't accepted streaming yet for ultimate quality on movies. That said I'm not setup with Xbox like Pio uses (I think that's what he said he uses) and said is pretty darn good (like streaming Stranger Things in Atmos, while the physical disc does not have Atmos).

I still have some of my movies on physical disc, but hardly ever use the actual disc itself besides for 3D. I can't see or hear any diff at all on the lossless MKV vs physical. Not that having a huge collection of them all isn't awesome. Take Pio's for example with all his steel books etc. You may have a similar collection. That in itself is a pretty cool sight to behold and own.
Yep, the XBOX One X is really good with ATMOS audio from Netflix, and even better with the newest ATMOS 4K/HDR Games
I've never used it for disc based movies on 4K/UHD or BD's though...I have a Panasonic UB900 for 4K/UHD/BD and Region free 3D BD's,
and an Oppo 203 for Dolby Vision 4K/UHD's to my OLED and Region B 3D's to my JVC

....and yes, I am hopelessly addicted to hard disc media, and especially steelbooks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteelBooks.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	2484444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelbook 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	2484446   Click image for larger version

Name:	pixar_steelbooks.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	631.1 KB
ID:	2484488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelbookz.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	725.4 KB
ID:	2484914  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 11-19-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is quite interesting. I listen to movies loudly compared to a lot of folks on AVS. For the life of me, I don't know how so many people are watching at -20 or -15 from zero and getting powerful dynamics and impact when watching at those levels.
The only thing that keeps me from watching every movie at or slightly above reference is the highs on so many tracks become ear-splittingly unbearable. Never complain about lows or mids in a track....it's those darn highs that hurt.
I fall somewhere in the middle for listening levels. I'd love to be able to listen at '0' (ref) MV's. But damn, it's just way too loud in my small room (and its treated), but was as well in my huge living room when I had my setup down there before I moved upstairs.

That said though, my bass is around ref a lot of times though when I listen at what seems to be pretty loud to me at usually somewhere between -10mv to -13mv with bass boosted about 8-12db hot depending on the movie.

Bass and dynamics seem pretty darn potent and overall very dynamic, but the subs right behind me + the TT/MA combo is what makes this possible I think. Without it, no way do those levels get me what I crave for bass and TR, and just overall aggressiveness.

Even at -20mv which is about where I have to listen at night, the bass potency and dynamics are still very enjoyable. Not as enjoyable as listening 10db higher, but still good. So I can only imagine at true Ref MV's or around 0, because yes, louder just brings it harder for sure in every way and is more exciting (if it can remain comfortable in your ears).

I totally agree with you on the highs and is part of what keeps me from listening louder, even when I can listen at how ever loud I want sometimes during the day. My ears are really sensitive to the highs and Super high SPL's as well, so I bring my highs down on everything with the tone controls but still rarely go over -10mv on most movies, which seems just about right to me and seems about as loud as it is most commercial theaters (besides the IMAX here, which is just way too ridiculously loud with blistering highs - I don't know how anybody can enjoy that).

So I'm a bit jealous of the folks like you around here that can listen at true ref MV's in their HT's, but I'm pretty content most of the time in my listening window of somewhere in between -10mv to 20mv

1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 11-18-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #2405 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 330 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 10082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
I think adjusting the overall volume level down (and beq to bring the ulf back) seems likely to be a system specific change and suggests that looking at how that side of the system is configured could be beneficial. On the other hand, it might just mean one has much more sub capability than mains.
I agree, but looking at my case in particular, I don't think it explains why I can't listen to to TIH at my normal levels without my ears hurting. I have an ~8dB house curve, so I do have my subs cranked pretty good. My subs/Crowsons are certainly very capable, but I can and do max them out with the big bass flicks at my normal levels. My mains, on the other hand, never even come close to breaking a sweat, but a lack of room treatments become my limitations there. Perhaps @MKtheater can test this one since his system seems to check all the boxes on capabilities, running his bass really hot, and room treatments that allow him to listen at reference. In this particular mix, I really think it just comes down to the 40Hz+ part of the track is just really loud, and it puts a cap on how loud one can watch it comfortably, and if one turns it down below their "normal" the <40Hz range ends up lower than normal. I'll post some graphs below to illustrate.

Quote:
This is quite interesting. I listen to movies loudly compared to a lot of folks on AVS. For the life of me, I don't know how so many people are watching at -20 or -15 from zero and getting powerful dynamics and impact when watching at those levels.
The only thing that keeps me from watching every movie at or slightly above reference is the highs on so many tracks become ear-splittingly unbearable. Never complain about lows or mids in a track....it's those darn highs that hurt.
I feel exactly the same way. The highs are (almost) always what make me turn it down as well. There are a few exceptions, and A Quiet Place is probably the best one I can think of, but the vast majority of the time, I'm turning it up as high as I can without the highs killing my ears. The low bass (<40Hz) is almost never a deterrent to turning it up.

Here are a couple charts comparing some of the "normal" tracks (Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, Justice League) with two of the familiar hot tracks (Dunkirk and The Incredible Hulk). Note that on these charts the legend says filtered but there are no filters entered; I just wanted it to show the solid lines. The first chart is the familiar 1-160Hz PvA:

Notice how the peak line is very similar in all of them in the 20-40Hz range falling in that -15dB to -20dB band, and of course Hulk being full-bandwidth it stays in the band <20Hz. IMO that band is the sweet spot for that <40Hz bass, and that is a big reason why we love these mixes. Note that I'm really only looking at the peak line; the average line will tell a similar story, but Tomb Raider shows a big difference in the average line between 20Hz-40Hz even though it is similar to the other mixes in that area on the peak line.

As we go above 40Hz into the mid bass and high bass, Dunkirk and Hulk start to pull away from the rest of the pack and we start to see that they are louder than the other mixes. Dunkirk in particular is just an abomination. The shape of the curve is really strange, like someone let their kid into the mixing studio and he was playing with the sliders.

Now here's a second chart where we'll look at 160-3750Hz:

It's somewhat difficult to compare because there's no smoothing on the graph, but it still tells the story pretty well. Dunkirk and Hulk continue to be significantly louder than the rest of the pack, the three normals stay pretty consistent, and Dunkirk in particular is all over the place. That bump in Dunkirk between 2-3kHz is probably a major reason why it's so harsh.

Now I'll add the suggested 5dB negative gains to Dunkirk and Hulk:

Dunkirk and Hulk become much more in-line with the rest of the pack. Dunkirk still has it's strange curve that we can't do anything about short of doing a full EQ of it, so it's still a bit harsh, but tolerable.

Now let's look at the standard 1-160Hz graph with these adjustments:

Above 40Hz, Dunkirk and Hulk fall in closer to the pack as we saw up higher, and Dunkirk is still all over the place to some extent. The problem is when we now look <40Hz. Dunkirk and Hulk have dropped out of that sweet spot -15dB to -20dB band down into the -20dB to -25dB band.

Hopefully this illustrates my line of thinking on this, in that knowing what kind of MV adjustment the overall mix dictates can give me valuable information as far as tuning my BassEQ design around it. If I know a particular mix dictates a positive or negative MV adjustment, I can adjust my target accordingly, so that I'm not shooting at a moving target.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #2406 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Hey Bud...Great work!

But the audio track should be labelled as DTS:X
....or DTS-HD MA 7.1

Whoops! Good catch, I just fixed it (DTS:X).

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #2407 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Hi all

Finally got round to watching my 1st few films with BEQ.

Yesterday I watched Solo A Star Wars Story, it was a ok mix but I know from watching it before it’s nothing special sound mix wise. Enjoyed the extra oomph in certain scenes but left me thinking is BEQ all its cracked up to be..

2nd film I just watched was Maze Runner The Death Cure.

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW, my PSA V1811 is now showing what it’s really made of, the opening rescue scene OMG not felt bass like it for a very long time...simply EPIC with BEQ, ran a couple of scenes with it on then off the difference is night and day.

Now I can finally FEEL what the all the fuss is about..loved the 2hrs plus watching the film. Can’t wait to get a few more under my belt.

So thanks guys this Noob is finally getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SBuger, PioManiac, magicj1 and 4 others like this.
post #2408 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
BassEQ The Incredible Hulk (2008) DTS:X

I know what you're thinking. BassEQ on The Incredible Hulk? Has aron lost his damn mind? Just hear me out...

This is really what's been driving me to get the MV adjustment quantified. Have you ever played The Incredible Hulk at your normal listening levels? I have, and it's half-amazing and half-painful. The bass/ULF is absolutely amazing, but up top it's too loud and harsh. Now you can have the amazing without the pain!

The gain shown here is intended to be a MV adjustment. It might look like you could just put a negative HS instead of the two filters, but for the post-bass-management folks you wouldn't be reducing above the crossover.

Earlier today, I was testing the scenes in this film that I've demoed many times and know very well, but with the -5dB MV adjustment. There was a serious lack of ULF (but it also wasn't harsh) compared to what I was used to. I normally run these demos really loud and deal with the harshness since it is a short-term demo and I want to show off the Crowsons in these scenes. I tested this BEQ, and I got all the ULF I'm used to without the harshness. It's still loud, but it's a level I could actually watch the entire movie at. I'll really happy with how this turned out.

Just so I’m understanding, when you say -5db MV you mean just turning the volume on my receiver down 5 notches? This isn’t an adjustment on the minidsp, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2409 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin_H View Post
Just so I’m understanding, when you say -5db MV you mean just turning the volume on my receiver down 5 notches? This isn’t an adjustment on the minidsp, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct.
Edwin_H likes this.

post #2410 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1975m View Post
Hi all

Yesterday I watched Solo A Star Wars Story, it was a ok mix but I know from watching it before it’s nothing special sound mix wise. Enjoyed the extra oomph in certain scenes but left me thinking is BEQ all its cracked up to be..

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW, my PSA V1811 is now showing what it’s really made of, the opening rescue scene OMG not felt bass like it for a very long time...simply EPIC with BEQ, ran a couple of scenes with it on then off the difference is night and day.

Now I can finally FEEL what the all the fuss is about..loved the 2hrs plus watching the film. Can’t wait to get a few more under my belt.

Awesome, welcome to the 'in action' BEQ club man!!
Phil1975m and biga6761 like this.

post #2411 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Awesome, welcome to the 'in action' BEQ club man!!

Thanks Man
Trying to get more people into it especially in the UK where I’m from.

post #2412 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Thanks Man
Trying to get more people into it especially in the UK where I’m from.
I would have expected a lot more participation on this site,
but it seems many in the other Bass thread are either too confused or scared to even try BEQ.

I get it, at one point explorers were afraid to go too far out to sea because they thought the Earth was flat and they would fall off the edge
Then there are those who spend more time and energy complaining about poor audio tracks instead of making an attempt to correct them in a few minutes.

ULF Capable Subs + Near Field Subs + Motion Actuators + BEQ = the Ultimate Bass experience

SBuger, brahman12, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

Last edited by PioManiac; 11-18-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #2413 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:

but it seems many that refer themselves as Bassheads in the other thread are too confused or scared to even try BEQ.

I get it, at one point explorers were afraid to go too far out to sea because they thought the Earth was flat and they would fall off the edge

Then there are those who spend more time and energy complaining about poor audio tracks instead of making an attempt to correct them in a few minutes.

Well said.

So many sub based threads and this one is relevantly quiet in comparison.
Current trend bigger drivers to hit ULF single digit hz...

I rather have overall better bass with BEQ, rather than single digit ULF.
Heh each to there own.

If I can get into BEQ so can anybody else.
I’m loving it already after just 2 films..!
Oh I’ve got to rewatch so many now which will be fun.

Downside living in a apartment my neighbours not going to like me..lol

Nalleh and Paulo Franco like this.
post #2414 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well said.

So many sub based threads and this one is relevantly quiet in comparison.
Current trend bigger drivers to hit ULF single digit hz...

I rather have overall better bass with BEQ, rather than single digit ULF.
Heh each to there own.

If I can get into BEQ so can anybody else.
I’m loving it already after just 2 films..!
Oh I’ve got to rewatch so many now which will be fun.

Downside living in a apartment my neighbours not going to like me..lol
I was on the "More is Better" Path,

Already had a pair of 18" 10Hz capable subs with 9600 peak wattage,
and an order placed for a 24" that had the ULF output equal to 4 of those at 20Hz

I cancelled the Big 24" right after I added Crowson Motion Actuators for a fraction of the price.
...something you should serious consider as well, being in an apartment

Crowsons are good down to 5Hz and don't disturb the neighbors.
Put them on their own output channel on the miniDSP and mute your subs for late night viewing, works like a charm!
Daytime listening, run them all together for the ultimate bone-shaker.

SBuger and biga6761 like this.

post #2415 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I was on the "More is Better" Path,

Already had a pair of 18" 10Hz capable subs with 9600 peak wattage,

and an order placed for a 24" that had the ULF output equal to 4 of those at 20Hz

I cancelled the Big 24" right after I added Crowson Motion Actuators for a fraction of the price.

...something you should serious consider as well, being in an apartment

Crowsons are good down to 5Hz and don't disturb the neighbors.

Put them on their own output channel on the miniDSP and mute your subs for late night viewing, works like a charm!

Daytime listening, run them all together for the ultimate bone-shaker.

Yes those damn crowsons in the UK are not cheap.
Plus with Brexit buying from abroad is going to be more difficult and expensive.

I want to get the WiFi dongle for MiniDSP 1st and get that set up.!
Crowsons will something to look at, at a later time.!

post #2416 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 4945
Cool Atomic Blonde - A BEQ Bombshell!

Quote:
Hi all

If you want to view a movie where you don't have to guess if there's a difference with BEQ, try Atomic Blonde!

SBuger, magicj1, aron7awol and 1 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #2417 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
I can't see or hear any diff at all on the lossless MKV vs physical.
Same here plus I don’t have to deal with all the movie previews of the physical disc.
SBuger likes this.
post #2418 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Same here plus I don’t have to deal with all the movie previews of the physical disc.
My hard disc media purchases are about 90% 4K/UHD's
...that don't even have previews, disc loads straight to the menu

post #2419 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
If you want to view a movie where you don't have to guess if there's a difference with BEQ, try Atomic Blonde!

Added to my to do list
Watched it at cinema on release
Female version of John Wick
Didn’t do it for me..but will watch it with BEQ after your recommendation

SuperFist likes this.
post #2420 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
but it seems many in the other Bass thread are either too confused or scared to even try BEQ.

ULF Capable Subs + Near Field Subs + Motion Actuators + BEQ = the Ultimate Bass experience

You said it Brother!! I really think this is what helps makes BEQ so very effective!! And especially so at normal and lower night time listening levels (for those of us that cant crank it up more late at night)

BTW, LMAO about the explorers and the edge of the earth to trying BEQ comparison!! I really thought this thread would have just EXPLODED with BEQ users. Well it has with a handful of us that can't hardly seem get enough of it because BEQ is SO FREAKING AWESOME!!

It'll pick up more users as we go though. Well, I think anyway

post #2421 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 3132
Quote:
Plus with Brexit buying from abroad is going to be more difficult and expensive.

Often it is just easier and actually cheaper to just order from the source ! Even if the source is abroad.

Minidsp: just go the website and order, they ship worldwide.

Crowson: just send Randolph(the owner) a e-mail, and he will fix you up, ships worldwide too. And don’t forget to mention AVS membership to get 10% discount

And hey: here in Norway we have to pay taxes on everything, 25% actually! Even on the shipping costs! So if it is cheaper for me, it should be even better for you
Phil1975m likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #2422 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Bass EQ for Filtered Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Often it is just easier and actually cheaper to just order from the source ! Even if the source is abroad.

Minidsp: just go the website and order, they ship worldwide.

Crowson: just send Randolph(the owner) a e-mail, and he will fix you up, ships worldwide too. And don’t forget to mention AVS membership to get 10% discount

And hey: here in Norway we have to pay taxes on everything, 25% actually! Even on the shipping costs! So if it is cheaper for me, it should be even better for you

Thanks for the info.

As for the Minidsp WiFi dongle, asked my UK dealer to supply me one, so happy to wait on him as I’m not in any rush.

Crowsons think I need to do some research on how I will incorporate them into my set up.!

Last edited by Phil1975m; 11-18-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #2423 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I live right next door the good ol' U.S. of A and lose 30% off every Canuck Dollar
I still have to pay $200 brokerage fees to UPS (covers local taxes and import fees)
...and that's on top of the $100 shipping charges for my Crowsons.

Still cheaper than that 24" Sub though
Phil1975m likes this.

post #2424 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

The UK Shaker centre sell ADX maximus. These could be worth a try Phil (or at least inquire). I had a buttkicker once, but found it hard to dial in correctly. It was fun but a little to aggressive. I now use a Quake10b. This is so much more nimble, and really add to the BEQ experience.

https://shakercentre.co.uk/home-cinema.html
Phil1975m likes this.
post #2425 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
The UK Shaker centre sell ADX maximus. These could be worth a try Phil (or at least inquire). I had a buttkicker once, but found it hard to dial in correctly. It was fun but a little to aggressive. I now use a Quake10b. This is so much more nimble, and really add to the BEQ experience.

https://shakercentre.co.uk/home-cinema.html

Brilliant cheap and cheerful option
Thanks will look into it.

magicj1 likes this.
post #2426 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
BassEQ The Incredible Hulk (2008) DTS:X

I know what you're thinking. BassEQ on The Incredible Hulk? Has aron lost his damn mind? Just hear me out...

This is really what's been driving me to get the MV adjustment quantified. Have you ever played The Incredible Hulk at your normal listening levels? I have, and it's half-amazing and half-painful. The bass/ULF is absolutely amazing, but up top it's too loud and harsh. Now you can have the amazing without the pain!

The gain shown here is intended to be a MV adjustment. It might look like you could just put a negative HS instead of the two filters, but for the post-bass-management folks you wouldn't be reducing above the crossover.

Earlier today, I was testing the scenes in this film that I've demoed many times and know very well, but with the -5dB MV adjustment. There was a serious lack of ULF (but it also wasn't harsh) compared to what I was used to. I normally run these demos really loud and deal with the harshness since it is a short-term demo and I want to show off the Crowsons in these scenes. I tested this BEQ, and I got all the ULF I'm used to without the harshness. It's still loud, but it's a level I could actually watch the entire movie at. I'll really happy with how this turned out.
Great job/suggestion.

I just broke out my copy and gave it a watch!

Fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
brahman12, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

Sony hw45es | 100 inch screen | Yamaha RX-A3060 | Axiom ADA 1250-3 | Axiom M80s/VP180/QS10HPs | DIY SI DS4-18s sealed (2) | Crown XLS 2002 (2) | PSA S3601 | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x4) (coming soon)
post #2427 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:

But in our case the flat earthers were right. We've fallen right off the edge and into low frequencies.

I'm going to have to look into crownsons before long. I went with a big pit configuration with a LoveSac Sactional for my seating so I need to figure out how I can do the actuators. I'm thinking I might have to do something like put the couch on plywood to make it a single unit and then have the actuators under it.
post #2428 of 8064 Old 11-18-2018, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Brilliant cheap and cheerful option
Thanks will look into it.

No problem. I’d drop them a line (I.e do your home work first). Your only really looking for 5-35/40Hz range.
Phil1975m likes this.
post #2429 of 8064 Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Making my way through the revamped DTS:X Harry Potters. I've watched the 1st and 2nd so far and very much looking forward to the rest...

WOW what a treat, especially with BEQ!!! The sound design on these Potters are amazing and so IMMERSIVE. LOTs of very cool area's in both of these first two films, but I think one of my favorites parts was in the 1rst one when the 3 of them are in there with all the keys flying around and Harry chases one down on the broom. The use of Atmos surround is just so cool with all the keys and with that broom zooming around (with some real nice heft and weight as well when the broom passes by). Then right after that, the chess game. So freaking cool with BEQ!!! I've seen this 4 or 5 times or more over the years on my different systems, but nothing like this with BEQ and (DTS:X or course). Really was like watching it for the first time. LOTS of superbly used ULF (or what was brought back from the dead with BEQ) I thought that just added so much to the game. Made those chess pieces feel HUGE and heavy, like they really could crush you like a fly.
I got my atmos speakers delivered on Friday and installed them last night while watching football. So tonight I got to break them in and started out with Philosopher's Stone. I've been saving all the HPs for this, especially since your post, and it was worth the wait. Wow, it was a whole new experience having the height speakers and the BEQ. It was so immersive and great. The bass was used really nicely in it. In addition to the examples you gave, the Quidditch match had nice subtle uses too. Like when someone would fly over you from back to front the was a little extra when they were passing through the middle of the room to give a little bit more of a sensation of being passed. The whole movie had those little touches everywhere that added to the experience. Very well done and should be a reference soundtrack for designers on how to do it.

My only complaint was that the audio was so good that it outclassed the visuals. They felt a little green screeny to me. I guess that might be why Chris Columbus wasn't happy with the visuals and said they were rushed. That's a nitpick though and it was still a super fun ride. I can't wait for the next one tomorrow.
post #2430 of 8064 Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Congrats!! That's awesome on getting your speakers for the heights!!

Yeah the Harry Potter sound design is just off the charts good IMO. It's just so realistic and immersive. It's done so well through all the channels and just really brings it to life, putting you right in the middle of it as if your really experiencing it for real a lot of times

I'll watch all 7 again from start to finish again eventually, but have been revisiting some of them in areas for demo. I think the 1rst and 2nd films might actually be my favorite for overall sound and movie. They are all amazing though. But yeah the audio is so good that is does kind of outclass the visuals sometimes, at least on the 1st ones.
DesertDog, biga6761 and Pradeep2 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page