Bass EQ for Filtered Movies - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20349Likes

post #2461 of 8260 Old 11-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
That said, if you are readjusting your sub trims a lot based on movies you feel lack a bit of bass you might find yourself decreasing your sub trims once you're running all movies through BEQ. I used to run my subs about +9db hot with dynamic EQ on but now I'm down to +3.
I guess you go with whatever sounds best to you. I had my system nailed down until I got into BEQ. Now, I've not stopped altering/tweaking my system to squeeze out the best sound (to my ears) possible.
brahman12 and biga6761 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 8260 Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
I've been slowly going through some of my movies to see what all I have and to organize a little bit and whatnot. Was there ever a BEQ made for Fury and Underworld Awakening? I didn't see it, but that's happened to me before when it was right there in front of me all along.

I think Fury could be amazing with it to go along with the killer midbass it has. UA could probably be even better, even though it feels like there is some nice deep stuff already. It could just be a lot of 20hz too in certain areas that feels real deep kinda like Equalizer 2.

Watched the first part of BR2049 for grins since its been a while and tried with and without BEQ for fun as well. Even that big hit right off the bat like 2 seconds in I found made a pretty substantial difference in the depth of that hit. I love that one and lets you know this track means serious business right from the get go when it decides to unleash it's bass.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #2463 of 8260 Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
I guess you go with whatever sounds best to you. I had my system nailed down until I got into BEQ. Now, I've not stopped altering/tweaking my system to squeeze out the best sound (to my ears) possible.
Besides something totally full band like TIH and WOTW, I'm finding that if I get my system feeling and sounding good with no BEQ on Batman vs Superman and MMFR (even though these two aren't quite as full band as the first two I mentioned (they drop a little more under 20hz or so (MMFR more so) but still very good compared to most)), that BEQ feels just about right on everything and even better with on these two. These last two are a couple of my all time bass favorites overall with the style of their bass, even though its hard to compete with the super duper low end by the truck loads of the first two.

This may help, or not lol. I've done the tweaking thing a fair bit as well trying to get BEQ for ALL feeling just right. This is where I've landed with these and find it just about right now. That said, one that I thought maybe needed just a little more was Underworld Blood Wars. It was awesome, but I could have handled more ULF in areas. Could just be the track or that I needed to bump subs a bit more on this one.
magicj1 and biga6761 like this.

1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 8260 Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
As a follow-up to the topic of hotness of audio tracks I just gave Justice League a spin. It's currently listed as a -1 in level, and I think that's close to accurate. I had to bump the MV 2db to get things going, but it probably could have used 2-3db more for more impact. Unfortunately things started to get too loud, (I wasn't alone), so I had to give back the 2db. I think I should note that I'm probably the only person in this forum to run his sub flat . I occasionally rise 2-3db my sub gain, but most of the time I run it flat.
magicj1 likes this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #2465 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I've been slowly going through some of my movies to see what all I have and to organize a little bit and whatnot. Was there ever a BEQ made for Fury and Underworld Awakening? I didn't see it, but that's happened to me before when it was right there in front of me all along.
I could have sworn I did Fury! I'll do both of those...
SBuger and brahman12 like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #2466 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Any chance we could get a BEQ for Star Trek Discovery that just came out on blu?

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #2467 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
As a follow-up to the topic of hotness of audio tracks I just gave Justice League a spin. It's currently listed as a -1 in level, and I think that's close to accurate. I had to bump the MV 2db to get things going, but it probably could have used 2-3db more for more impact. Unfortunately things started to get too loud, (I wasn't alone), so I had to give back the 2db. I think I should note that I'm probably the only person in this forum to run his sub flat . I occasionally rise 2-3db my sub gain, but most of the time I run it flat.
I have mostly abandoned my volume adjustment analysis because I'm satisfied with the values of ReplayGain in JRiver. FYI, Justice League is a "normal" (0dB adjustment) track. Note that you may need to find your point on reference on this "normal" scale. For example, I've always thought of my normal MV as -10. But say I see the "normal" mixes on this scale of Justice League, Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, and I'm actually more like -12 on those movies, then on this scale my "normal" is more like -12 and when looking at the ReplayGain adjustments I should use -12 as my starting point. This is just an example to show that maybe what we think of as our normal might be a bit different from the "normal" on this scale.

My recommendation is not to adjust MV to get your bass levels to your taste. I suggest adjusting MV to get the mids/highs to a point that they are loud but not harsh, and then adjust the bass to taste by adjusting your sub out(s). Another thing I'd probably do as a quick and dirty adjustment if following these ReplayGain values is if it tells me to adjust my MV down, I'd probably adjust my sub out up by the same amount to keep the bass where it is and not lose that impact. I am going to take it a step further and actually optimize the bass after the MV adjustment, but I think the approach I just mentioned would work pretty well too.

Why are you running your subs flat?
brahman12, biga6761 and AmerCa like this.

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #2468 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked: 3230
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ The Incredible Hulk (2008) DTS:X

I know what you're thinking. BassEQ on The Incredible Hulk? Has aron lost his damn mind? Just hear me out...

This is really what's been driving me to get the MV adjustment quantified. Have you ever played The Incredible Hulk at your normal listening levels? I have, and it's half-amazing and half-painful. The bass/ULF is absolutely amazing, but up top it's too loud and harsh. Now you can have the amazing without the pain!

The gain shown here is intended to be a MV adjustment. It might look like you could just put a negative HS instead of the two filters, but for the post-bass-management folks you wouldn't be reducing above the crossover.

Earlier today, I was testing the scenes in this film that I've demoed many times and know very well, but with the -5dB MV adjustment. There was a serious lack of ULF (but it also wasn't harsh) compared to what I was used to. I normally run these demos really loud and deal with the harshness since it is a short-term demo and I want to show off the Crowsons in these scenes. I tested this BEQ, and I got all the ULF I'm used to without the harshness. It's still loud, but it's a level I could actually watch the entire movie at. I'll really happy with how this turned out.

I tried this yesterday except I did not lower my MV as harshness has never been an issue for me with PSA MTM 210 no matter how loud I play. My normal movie watching MV is -10. Any ways the additional midbass made this movie even better for me. The park scene just felt getting a steroid shot as an example. This was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brahman12, healthnut and Phil1975m like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #2469 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I tried this yesterday except I did not lower my MV as harshness has never been an issue for me with PSA MTM 210 no matter how loud I play. My normal movie watching MV is -10. Any ways the additional midbass made this movie even better for me. The park scene just felt getting a steroid shot as an example. This was awesome!
I'm not going to try to tell you what to do and what not to do, but I just hope you are 100% sure your signal chain and system is set up to handle doing something like this without adjusting MV down. I know exactly how my signal chain and system is set up and I wouldn't do it.

post #2470 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked: 3230
Quote:
I'm not going to try to tell you what to do and what not to do, but I just hope you are 100% sure your signal chain and system is set up to handle doing something like this without adjusting MV down. I know exactly how my signal chain and system is set up and I wouldn't do it.
Understood. Tried it yesterday and it was great. Subs handled it without breaking a sweat...

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #2471 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have mostly abandoned my volume adjustment analysis because I'm satisfied with the values of ReplayGain in JRiver...

Why are you running your subs flat?
Thanks for the detailed response. The question about running subs flat made me realize everybody has different system adjustments or preferences, and what may constitute "normal" for someone, it might not be to another. I recently discovered that my usual listening level are around [-10, -7], based on the MV my AVR display during speakers calibration. So, it's fairly loud, but I always avoid discomfort. Tracks like The Incredible Hulk are already so hot, that I need to turn down the MV to be bearable. For the most part, your hotness list is fairly accurate, regardless on personal settings. If you're running your subs hot, then it's possible that a "normal" track sound good at lower MV, like in your case around -12, in my case around -10. Which leads to your question.

Why do I run my sub flat? Because that's the way I find the sound mix more balanced. I've tried lowered and raising the sub trim, and most of the time I go back to flat. I know it's common practice to run subs at least a bit hot, but I enjoy the sound of my sub flat. I like your approach of adjusting from harshness, raising the sub trim to reach desired bass levels is definitely smarter than adjusting overall MV, but most of the time I'm fine with that. In the cases I'm not, I do what you suggest, I just raise the sub trim. With a track like that of Jupiter Ascending that's might be the only way to go for me, because the score is mixed so loud is almost impossible to enjoy the track during climaxes. In a track like Tron: Legacy bumping the bass not only makes the track more impressive, but also makes the clipping in the other channels less harsh.

I think I read in the other bass thread that someone watched Justice League with his subs 10-15db hot, so no wonder the bass sounded pretty visceral to him! So...perhaps I'm not a bass-head after all?
SBuger, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #2472 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Excited! took the plunge for the 2x4hd and umik 1 today. But would be using it after my trip for two weeks. Bummer!
SBuger and Pradeep2 like this.
post #2473 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why do I run my sub flat? Because that's the way I find the sound mix more balanced. I've tried lowered and raising the sub trim, and most of the time I go back to flat. I know it's common practice to run subs at least a bit hot, but I enjoy the sound of my sub flat. I like your approach of adjusting from harshness, raising the sub trim to reach desired bass levels is definitely smarter than adjusting overall MV, but most of the time I'm fine with that. In the cases I'm not, I do what you suggest, I just raise the sub trim. With a track like that of Jupiter Ascending that's might be the only way to go for me, because the score is mixed so loud is almost impossible to enjoy the track during climaxes. In a track like Tron: Legacy bumping the bass not only makes the track more impressive, but also makes the clipping in the other channels less harsh.

I think I read in the other bass thread that someone watched Justice League with his subs 10-15db hot, so no wonder the bass sounded pretty visceral to him! So...perhaps I'm not a bass-head after all?
Hey you wouldn't be talking about me now would you lol I was talking up JL the other day as having some great bass in the other thread, but that it needed a nice sub bump to get it

I'm at about 10db hot exactly on subs above speakers (not included the slight HC) for Justice League and it really brings the goods. Without the 10db sub bump (even with BEQ) on this one, JL bass is just not near as exciting to me. I run my subs on all movies just as hot as I can get them before they start becoming boomy/muddy and less detailed in the mix, while still sounding balanced. For me it's a fine line. Some I find 10db too much though, and a few need a little more (even with BEQ) so it's movie dependent to sound and feel optimal to me (I know I'm in the minority here as most are set and forget to 10hot or whatever for all movies). It's usually the movies that are hotter on the midbass that I can't bump my subs up as much (this usually shows in these PVA's), If I do bump them more, I have to run more of a downward slope to the right above 40hz or so on my FR to keep the mid bass from being too strong.

I have no problems making a few sub trim adjustments when I feel the need though to optimize just a little more, besides the BEQ's and all. We go to the trouble of BEQing each movie, why not just take a second more to optimize just a bit more on the sub trims if need be is how I look at it. Even just a small bump or reduction can sometimes make a real nice difference (I can be pretty aware and affected by even a db or two though most times). At least it can/does on my system (which I feel is tuned pretty good for the most part on the majority of movies).

If you like yours flat though with no sub bump for most movies, so be it. Good that you know what you like, as that's what it's all about to get the most enjoyment out of your system IMO!

post #2474 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BassEQ Fury (2014) Atmos

post #2475 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
Weird, I could have sworn you'd done a BEQ for Fury as well
post #2476 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated...this one should be amazing now!

Quote:
BassEQ Power Rangers (2017) Atmos

post #2477 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga6761 View Post
I ain't skeer'd!!!

I'll test mule this baby in a couple hours and report this evening. The killer shiz keeps flowing! Thanks for taking the extra time on this one Aron.
So I did get through Pac Rim 2 with the BEQXL yesterday and it was pretty awesome. It really wakes up the bottom end and adds a HUGE amount of weight that was missing from the track and just as Aron was saying everything restored is pure content and basically zero noise. Now with that said the track did seem almost too bottom heavy on my system and even saw me turn off my Buttkickers for the first time since installing them a couple years ago. There was such an abundance of <25hz content that the BK's were just too much and felt a bit too one note. With the BK's off the tactile response was still borderline violent and the tonal balance was a bit bottom heavy as well but not boomy.

After watching the whole movie I went into the Mini and made a few adjustments then turned the BK's back on. I basically reduced the boost at 25hz to 30db total and reduced the peq @ 14hz by 2db. This brought the tonal balance more in line as well as making the tactile pounding from the BK's just about perfect as usual. I think these adjustments could be totally system dependent because of how my IB's somewhat natural HC makes it a bit bottom heavy and could have made this one seem a bit much down low and I also run my BK boosted below 25hz. I think this track was also so heavily filtered because of the type and amount of content down low and I could be deemed crazy for saying so but I think there is almost too much once fully restored. It makes the bass all seem a bit one note but I also had the same impression of the track pre BEQ of any kind so that could just be the way this one was made.

The lack of noise is also odd here almost like they intended to release this one full bandwidth until they heard it and how heavily one noted it was and decided to cut its nuts off to try and save it but I'm not so sure how well they succeeded from any point of view.
Aron's efforts here are top notch, I think it's just I really don't care for this track too much if I'm honest. The Atmos effects in spots are not too bad but far from inspired or even cool for that matter and what a waste that is as I really do like the movie. It just once again goes to show how bad audio can ruin a perfectly good HT experience.

Others should try the BEQXL for Pac Rim 2 as is and see if they need to make adjustments because the issues I had may not extend to others depending on several factors. I would certainly not watch Pac Rim 2 without BEQ EVER so please don't take anything I said to mean otherwise, it's just this one is an audio dud for me and I'd much rather watch the original for so many reasons, with the massively better audio expiecence chief among them. The XL version with the adjustments I made was about as good as I think is possible for this one on my system and definitely sounded and felt better than the the regular BEQ or none at all. I have some company coming over this coming weekend and have Pac Rim 2 on the list to watch as they have not seen it yet so I will be giving this one another go all the way through with the XL adjustments as mentioned above so I will report one final time how I find it and if I adjusted further.

Epson 5040UB-125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1-Xbox One S- HTPC JRiver MC24
Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Crown Xls 1500 - Qsc RMX 1450 - Qsc RMX 850 - 2_Inuke 3kDSP's - Inuke 6kDSP
Speakers}7.4.4 Atmos DIYSoundGroup HTM-12's, Volt-8's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 11-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
post #2478 of 8260 Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger
. I run my subs on all movies just as hot as I can get them before they start becoming boomy/muddy and less detailed in the mix, while still sounding balanced. For me it's a fine line. Some I find 10db too much though, and a few need a little more (even with BEQ) so it's movie dependent to sound and feel optimal to me (I know I'm in the minority here as most are set and forget to 10hot or whatever for all movies). It's usually the movies that are hotter on the midbass that I can't bump my subs up as much (this usually shows in these PVA's), If I do bump them more, I have to run more of a downward slope to the right above 40hz or so on my FR to keep the mid bass from being too strong. .
MAYBE if I had top of the line subs like most of the people in this thread have I'd try running it hot. My Polk sub is pretty good for what it is, at it plays with relatively low distortion, but I can only imagine the more I run it hot, its limitations will become more apparent. Also, my AVR doesn't have EQ, also my room probably isn't the best for an even frequency response. But, for the most part, it's alright.

JL sounds pretty good flat, but it does seem like it could benefit from a good bass boosting. JL bass, as opposed to BvS which seems to have a more "distributed" bass across the range, appears to have more of its impact in the mid-range so it needs more of a boost to be more visceral. BvS, even if I'm not getting its full bandwidth, sounds more fuller and more naturally impacful. Even playing it flat sounds impressive. Running it hot sounds like an exercise in madness!
SBuger likes this.

post #2479 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
MAYBE if I had top of the line subs like most of the people in this thread have I'd try running it hot. My Polk sub is pretty good for what it is, at it plays with relatively low distortion, but I can only imagine the more I run it hot, its limitations will become more apparent. Also, my AVR doesn't have EQ, also my room probably isn't the best for an even frequency response. But, for the most part, it's alright.

JL sounds pretty good flat, but it does seem like it could benefit from a good bass boosting. JL bass, as opposed to BvS which seems to have a more "distributed" bass across the range, appears to have more of its impact in the mid-range so it needs more of a boost to be more visceral. BvS, even if I'm not getting its full bandwidth, sounds more fuller and more naturally impacful. Even playing it flat sounds impressive. Running it hot sounds like an exercise in madness!
Yeah BvS has amazing bass and is one of my all time favorites. JL is good, but I'll take the bass in BvS any day. It's just better across the board and all through the movie. I like BvS with subs pretty much exactly 10db hot as well, I just skipped through some of my favorites demo sections on that one yesterday. The whole movie is loaded with great bass scenes though, starting with that entire 1rst chapter.

post #2480 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@aron7awol - Thanks for Fury! Yeah I thought you had done that one at some point as well. Gonna give this one a spin this weekend if it works out. Got lots of family in town for the holiday, might throw this one in the movie mix if some want to watch.

Also, cool on Power Rangers! I still have that one in my unwatched folder and really need to check it out!! The graph looks bad ass on this one, plus I've heard lots of great things from Toe and a few others over in the other thread about it.
CallingMrBenzo and biga6761 like this.

post #2481 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Yeah BvS has amazing bass and is one of my all time favorites. JL is good, but I'll take the bass in BvS any day. It's just better across the board and all through the movie. I like BvS with subs pretty much exactly 10db hot as well, I just skipped through some of my favorites demo sections on that one yesterday. The whole movie is loaded with great bass scenes though, starting with that entire 1rst chapter.
Yes I can never get enough of BvS, right from the first pistol shots thru to the cannon fire at the end. Using my default 15dB of low shelf at 20Hz. Man of Steel also sounds epic i like to do a double feature sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SBuger, biga6761 and AmerCa like this.
post #2482 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger
Also, cool on Power Rangers! I still have that one in my unwatched folder and really need to check it out!!
You...haven't...checked it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2
Yes I can never get enough of BvS, right from the first pistol shots thru to the cannon fire at the end. Using my default 15dB of low shelf at 20Hz. Man of Steel also sounds epic i like to do a double feature sometimes.
MoS and BvS are the two most watched superhero movies in my collection. I feel the general public didn't fully appreciate what Snyder did with those two movies, despite its flaws. The score is fantastic, the sound design is fantastic, the bass is fantastic, the action is epic, the visuals are tremendous, and both movies have a very high replay value. I feel the need to say that nothing Marvel (or Fox for that matter) has produced comes close to those movies in terms of scale and ambition, and yes, that includes Infinity War. I still resent Warner didn't let Snyder what he really wanted to do with JL...speaking of which, I have the house for myself today, so all rewatch it with some bass boost and some higher volume.
brahman12, SuperFist and SteveC356 like this.

post #2483 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post

Nice, yeah I bet that's a lot of fun with that wall of subs right behind you!! (you still run them all like that with the 7201 in the mix?) And the 15db low shelf ...that's a hefty boost!

Do you get most of that added to your HC down low with your sealed subs since the 7201 is probably already pretty flat from the factory? I get a decent amount of gain down low in my small room, but still have to LS 2db @20hz on the FF subs and 4db @20hz on the sealed DIY subs to just pick the low end up to flat or a bit above, then more if I want much of a house curve. In my large living room though that I was in before (with the same subs), I had to boost LS @20hz or so at about 9db to just get me up to flat on the low end. That meant a ton of cone movement though (more so than now) from the VNF's and translates to a ton of ULF TR as well with the drivers that close. My ULF TR is still not quite as insane at certain frequencies as it was in that setup with my old flex couch, even with a suspended floor. EXCEPT the 10-14hz does feel (and reads with VS) stronger because these frequencies really excite the floor in the new room, which is cool and can feel pretty wicked (I get about an extra 12-15db of TR out of it). 16-25hz before though was an absolute monster downstairs with the feel it created, which was loads of fun on a lot of movies.
biga6761 likes this.

post #2484 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You...haven't...checked it out?

MoS and BvS are the two most watched superhero movies in my collection. I feel the general public didn't fully appreciate what Snyder did with those two movies, despite its flaws. The score is fantastic, the sound design is fantastic, the bass is fantastic, the action is epic, the visuals are tremendous, and both movies have a very high replay value. I feel the need to say that nothing Marvel (or Fox for that matter) has produced comes close to those movies in terms of scale and ambition, and yes, that includes Infinity War. I still resent Warner didn't let Snyder what he really wanted to do with JL...speaking of which, I have the house for myself today, so all rewatch it with some bass boost and some higher volume.
Totally agree on everything you said abut these two movies. And yes, the score on these two films just moves me in ways most others can't quite do (Although BR2049 does in a different kind of almost haunting and awesome way!) The score of all three, and especially MoS and BvS gives me goose bumps and stirs me almost every time I watch them. It can be so moving in a powerful kind of way if you let yourself succumb to it. The really good ones can do this to me and is what I think I love most about having a HT, is when I can get experiences like this when the total package comes together (not just great TR and Bass (which I love and always will)), but everything you mentioned on these tracks that come together and can make you feel this way.

Yeah most marvels, just cant compete with this IMO. Some are still pretty fun though, especially with BEQ

Nice, sounds like your in for some bass fun today then!!
brahman12, biga6761 and AmerCa like this.

post #2485 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy Thanksgiving all you cool BEQ junkies!!!!!!!!!!!

post #2486 of 8260 Old 11-22-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Nice, yeah I bet that's a lot of fun with that wall of subs right behind you!! (you still run them all like that with the 7201 in the mix?) And the 15db low shelf ...that's a hefty boost!

Do you get most of that added to your HC down low with your sealed subs since the 7201 is probably already pretty flat from the factory? I get a decent amount of gain down low in my small room, but still have to LS 2db @20hz on the FF subs and 4db @20hz on the sealed DIY subs to just pick the low end up to flat or a bit above, then more if I want much of a house curve. In my large living room though that I was in before (with the same subs), I had to boost LS @20hz or so at about 9db to just get me up to flat on the low end. That meant a ton of cone movement though (more so than now) from the VNF's and translates to a ton of ULF TR as well with the drivers that close. My ULF TR is still not quite as insane at certain frequencies as it was in that setup with my old flex couch, even with a suspended floor. EXCEPT the 10-14hz does feel (and reads with VS) stronger because these frequencies really excite the floor in the new room, which is cool and can feel pretty wicked (I get about an extra 12-15db of TR out of it). 16-25hz before though was an absolute monster downstairs with the feel it created, which was loads of fun on a lot of movies.
Yeah still got the S7201, two Gamma 21s and four um18s behind the loveseat. Recently upgraded the um18s to an sp1-6000 from two ep4000 amps. Running eight cs1214s up front.

Never enough so ordered another four um18s during the Black Friday Parts Express sale. Will put them up front.

My listening level doesn't go above 65 (with 80 being reference) so ULF excursion is controllable with that amount of boost.

SBuger, brahman12 and biga6761 like this.
post #2487 of 8260 Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated...

Quote:
BassEQ Justice League (2017) Atmos

post #2488 of 8260 Old 11-23-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Off-topic but it's Black Friday! Anyone buying any new gear today?

I just ordered an 85" X900F (taking delivery Sunday!) and I'm eyeballing the sale on UM18s! If anyone is wanting more bass you can't beat the value at that price!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Black Friday!

post #2489 of 8260 Old 11-23-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I just ordered an 85" X900F (taking delivery Sunday!) and I'm eyeballing the sale on UM18s! If anyone is wanting more bass you can't beat the value at that price!

I recently built a Full Marty subwoofer enclosure with a UM18 paired with NX3000. I thought I used to know what bass was with my old 12' Polk PSW505. Now with BEQ and the new sub I have to rewatch my entire collection just to see what I was missing, and I was missing a lot.

I can't decide if I want to build another one, or add some buttkickers so I can get lower than 17hz before my HPF drops the bass off a cliff. Luckily for me I am on a suspended floor so I do get a good bit of feedback in my couch.
SuperFist, aron7awol and biga6761 like this.
post #2490 of 8260 Old 11-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:

Not really any new purchases today but the amp I ordered for the sub I'm building was delivered today and my HS24 is shipping either today or Monday. I can't wait.

I guess I did have a slight purchase. I went to the woodworking store for a piece of curly maple and the items I needed for the topcoat on the sub box. First pass of stain on 3 of the sides is drying now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page