SVS PB13 Ultras just set up-- not overly impressed, What am I Missing? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #151 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
+1^

I don't get it either. There was aggressive sub gain used on both subs and next to zero driver movement. It wouldn't have mattered where the sub was placed in that scenario. Unless (only room correction) was applied and killed the subs,,, and having it (off) wasn't implemented, i dunno.

Only other possibility as mentioned above is if SVS needs a much higher trim but i dont recall reading that issue before.
I didnt do any room correction....
Yah I cant figure it out

I wonder if it was really an amp problem if they would admit to it? I mean, they put in new amp, repackage and sell back on outlet store again

this is like bermuda triangle stuff

Set up #1 Speakers LRC: Emotiva T2 & C2, Rears: Emotiva B1, Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs, Receiver: Marantz SR5012, 7.2,100 Watt, AMP: Outlaw5000
Set up #2 Son's Room: QA3020i LR, Emotiva C1 Center, Denon AVR, Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Set up #3 Elab B6 2.0 Debut w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #4 QA3020 w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #5 Chane's A1.4 w Fosi Audio 50W amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Huh. Well, I did think the odds were wildly small that TWO amps would be bad. Still, seems so strange the SVS's didn't play nice at all with your setup.

Did you ever do the subwoofer crawl I suggested before? Where you place the sub on the couch at the MLP?

Either way, it is indeed super strange you weren't at least getting much movement from the sub's cones to begin with. I wonder what kind of voltage your AVR's sub out is putting out and if perhaps your HSU and your buddy's JBLs have higher input sensitivity. Welp, at least you gave it your best. I couldn't blame you for moving on all together. Thanks for the update.
Everything is working out for best because of the SVS problems I was able to grab the new JTR 118s

Set up #1 Speakers LRC: Emotiva T2 & C2, Rears: Emotiva B1, Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs, Receiver: Marantz SR5012, 7.2,100 Watt, AMP: Outlaw5000
Set up #2 Son's Room: QA3020i LR, Emotiva C1 Center, Denon AVR, Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Set up #3 Elab B6 2.0 Debut w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #4 QA3020 w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #5 Chane's A1.4 w Fosi Audio 50W amp
post #153 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
I didnt do any room correction....
Yah I cant figure it out

I wonder if it was really an amp problem if they would admit to it? I mean, they put in new amp, repackage and sell back on outlet store again

this is like bermuda triangle stuff
With no room correction applied and aggressive sub gain, even if your trim was -10 you should have decent driver movement with reasonable MV. My old SB13 U sure had good driver movement and was a good sub, shook the house.
mpk1970 likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I just find it odd that one sub can have such issues with the same room placement as every other sub. Even with just a low tech bass crawl from my main seating postion I am pretty certain where the best placement is in my room, I find it odd that SVS would require someone to completely re-arrange their room/seating for their subs. Strange. I am not saying I don't believe you it just seems this would be a limiting factor for SVS because most people don't have the flexibilty to rearrange their entire room for one particular brand of sub.
No I completely understand. Technically it makes absolutely no sense from what is universally agreeed upon as subwoofer science.

I too thought the sub was faulty so I took the driver out & made sure the leads weren’t disconnected which they weren’t. I took the amp out to make sure any caps or transistors weren’t corroded. Everything looked sound.

I still to this day after much reading/inquires & more experience can not for the life of me think of an explanation. It’s just what happened when I flipped it down & hooked it up.

Also I commend Mike for not getting completely discouraged & going forward with JTR’s. They should blow you away. When is the expected delivery date?

I also agree having to completely rearrange your entire room/furniture/seating is completely ridiculous to accommodate a subwoofer that you’ve not had issues with any beforehand.

As to @Montucky it’s possible there was a voltage issue, I know when I used both L&R rca inputs rather than LFE it added 6dB of overall output. Again, I have no explanation as to why but, the measurements don’t lie.
Montucky, mpk1970 and AmerCa like this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #155 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Everything is working out for best because of the SVS problems I was able to grab the new JTR 118s
Woh. That'll rock! If the JTR doesn't do the trick, then nothing will. Haha. Let us know how it turns out once you get those puppies set up.
d-rail34, mpk1970 and AmerCa like this.
post #156 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
OP needs some near field subs. I recently had a single PB16Ultra and wasn't impressed at all. Moved it behind my seating with a couple PB1000's in front and MASSIVE difference

either that or grab a cheap Behringer 1200d and stick in behind (or side ) your couch
post #157 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what specific AVR do you have? The bass management can certainly vary quite a bit. My Yamaha CX-A5100 did a VERY good job on that front. Anyway, depending on what you have, it could determine whether you should do your fine tuning on the receiver side or the subwoofer side. With most modern AVRs, I like to let the receiver handle all the processing, plugging into the LFE input on the sub, and leaving most things alone on the sub (leaving LPF, HPF, Room Compensation, etc. all disabled). Also with this sub, make sure you read the directions and plug the ports according to the setting on the sub's amp (Sealed, 16 Hz, 20Hz). The included instructions explain what to do there. If you're altering too many settings on the subwoofer AND the receiver, this could certainly effect what's going on. Like I said, let one side or the other handle manage the bass. Rarely both.

Also, the SVS amp has a little toggle that selects either "Hi-Level" or "Normal." Double check that too. Typically, it should be in "Normal."

In case this is more in depth than what came with your sub, check the online manual out: https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core...5c6fd&_xt=.pdf

Last but not least, have you given SVS a call? They are usually extremely helpful and can perhaps guide you along. They've always provided me with exemplary service when coming across trickier situations. Those guys know their stuff. Typically easy to get a hold of and no foreign call center. Usually the same guy picks up the phone. Haha. Great team, really. Try talking to them before returning.
Interesting about the Yamaha, I had read criticism of its handling of bass and sort of crossed it off my list. Always wanted to own one of the big Yamahas back to I think it was called the z1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dedicated Theater -Projector -Sony 385es-Screen-Stewart Firehawk 110" 1.78-Video-Panasonic UB-900, Direct Tv-Preamp-Anthem AVM-60-Amplifiers-MM8077, Proceed Amp 5-Sub-SVS-PB13 Ultra Speakers-B&W 803D, HTM1, Side and Rear Wall B&W (4), Ceiling B&W (4)
Xbox One -Panamax M5300-PM-Control 4 Ea-5,Pakedge Router
post #158 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
+1^

I don't get it either. There was aggressive sub gain used on both subs and next to zero driver movement. It wouldn't have mattered where the sub was placed in that scenario. Unless (only room correction) was applied and killed the subs,,, and having it (off) wasn't implemented, i dunno.

Only other possibility as mentioned above is if SVS needs a much higher trim but i dont recall reading that issue before.
Was there ANY sub gain? I honestly do not recall anything else mentioned about it except for where the OP stated, "I had the SVS volume at 0, and now calibrated to -10". I read this as the AVR's trim at -10...?? Then his response to another post in regards to gain setting was, "Never touched gain level on PB13. On AVR, I have sub adjust "Off"".

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or just completely missed something, but this has been the question circling around in my head the entire time following this thread.

With that said. My question for the OP is, what did you actually have the sub gain (volume on actual subs) set to? And please don't take this as a slight, as I do understand that you mentioned that you had gotten overwhelmed/frustrated during your attempts at correcting the issue. Things like that that tend to get overlooked whenever we get flustered. Trust me, it's happened to me more times than I like to admit. Lol

Either way though, what's done is done, and from everything that I've read/heard in regards to JTR subs, the OP will be absolutely thrilled with his decision to go that route.

...I'm still curious as hell about the sub gain though.
AmerCa likes this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 08-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.
post #159 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Was there ANY sub gain? I honestly do not recall anything else mentioned about it except for where the OP stated, "I had the SVS volume at 0, and now calibrated to -10". I read this as the AVR's trim at -10...?? Then his response to another post in regards to gain setting was, "Never touched gain level on PB13. On AVR, I have sub adjust "Off"".

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or just completely missed something, but this has been the question circling around in my head the entire time following this thread.

With that said. My question for the OP is, what did you actually have the sub gain (volume on actual subs) set to? And please don't take this as a slight, as I do understand that you mentioned that you had gotten overwhelmed/frustrated during your attempts at correcting the issue. Things like that that tend to get overlooked whenever we get flustered. Trust me, it's happened to me more times than I like to admit. Lol

Either way though, what's done is done, and from everything that I've read/heard in regards to JTR subs, the OP will be absolutely thrilled with his decision to go that route.

It's been a couple years since i had my svs, but from what i remember (0) was max gain. I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm mistaken.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #160 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2548 Post(s)
Liked: 2393
It doesn't surprise me at all that both PB13's were operating fine. The PB13 amp menu can be pretty daunting for inexperienced users. There are a lot of different settings and sub-menus. This was most likely a case of user error from the sub and possibly also from the receiver. Very little output is a symptom of using the speakers set to large, but I think that was previously covered. My little PB-1000 will pound hard if I want it to. The JTR subs should be a lot more simple and easier to set up.

Amp DSP Chart> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09..._dsp_chart.gif

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 530/520c, 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Infinity R152. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.RBH EP1. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #161 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes had the "trim" originally at 0 then moved it to -10, misspoke and said volume. As far as gain on the subs, I'm trying to remember exactly but I believe I tried a few different gain levels on the digital menu...I dont remember exactly what it was settled at but at one point I did have it pretty agressive. I dont exactly remember because I adjust so many things on the sub/avr that I forget all the numbers on what was adjusted.

post #162 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
But...I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE JTRs 118 ARRIVE!!!

Seriously. Also, what will SVS answer? And...will the VTF3s really solve anything? I need answers!

Da Da Daaaaaaa!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpk1970 and AmerCa like this.
post #163 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes had the "trim" originally at 0 then moved it to -10, misspoke and said volume. As far as gain on the subs, I'm trying to remember exactly but I believe I tried a few different gain levels on the digital menu...I dont remember exactly what it was settled at but at one point I did have it pretty agressive. I dont exactly remember because I adjust so many things on the sub/avr that I forget all the numbers on what was adjusted.
Okay, that's my bad...I completely misinterpreted what I had read.

I feel so much better now. Thank you! Lol

Now I can shift my curiousity to hearing your impressions of those JTR's.
mpk1970 likes this.

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
post #164 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's been a couple years since i had my svs, but from what i remember (0) was max gain. I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm mistaken.
You're correct. I totally forgot that they go from -100 to 0.

post #165 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I also thought SVS CS would be helpful in determining what factors could play.....they never had me adjust gain, did a couple small things in AVR that I had done already, they never talked about placement...he said it should be working somewhat in any spot you put them.

post #166 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also thought SVS CS would be helpful in determining what factors could play.....they never had me adjust gain, did a couple small things in AVR that I had done already, they never talked about placement...he said it should be working somewhat in any spot you put them.
Well, SVS suggests that you start your setup with it at -10 (models with DSP), and then adjust from there to get your trim setting in that negative DB sweet spot after calibration. My gain is set at -6, which gave me a -10 trim setting after calibration. Which I bump up 3-5db hot (-7 to -5 AVR trim). That really depends on what my source material is. I'm also using the cascading crossover settings suggested by Mike, and it sounds absolutely amazing. He was a huge help in getting me where I needed to be with mine, so I know that you were getting sound advise from him. It just sucks that y'all weren't able to figure those things out.

I'm still baffled by it all...

post #167 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
I'm still baffled by it all...
Yeah. Same here. I really wish I was near OP so I could go over there myself and help him get it figured out!
d-rail34 likes this.
post #168 of 168 Old 08-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah. Same here. I really wish I was near OP so I could go over there myself and help him get it figured out!
RIGHT?? I'm too curious of a person. To not know WTH is/was actually going on here is absolutely mind numbing. Lol

[EDIT] I think I need to go watch some Little League World Series to distract me for a while.

Last edited by d-rail34; 08-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page