Paradigm Ships Defiance Series DSP Subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By ratbuddy
  • 1 Post By rwheelwright
  • 1 Post By rwheelwright

post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Paradigm Ships Defiance Series DSP Subs

Six new subs from Paradigm are on the way in the form of the Defiance V and Defiance X series.

Click here to read the article: https://www.avsforum.com/paradigm-an...sp-subwoofers/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-20-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 206
damn.... can't say I know EVERYTHING about Subwoofs but these look awfully expensive to me compared to other offerings that are popular.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2343
The big name speaker companies can charge more than the internet-based companies. They have the advantage of actually being able to hear them, as well as mining the demographic that wants to one stop shop. Besides, these are just MSRPs, they will be cheaper at retail. How much cheaper is a speculation, as Paradigm is pretty good about maintaining their margins.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
damn.... can't say I know EVERYTHING about Subwoofs but these look awfully expensive to me compared to other offerings that are popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The big name speaker companies can charge more than the internet-based companies. They have the advantage of actually being able to hear them, as well as mining the demographic that wants to one stop shop. Besides, these are just MSRPs, they will be cheaper at retail. How much cheaper is a speculation, as Paradigm is pretty good about maintaining their margins.
I also would consider that including ARC and a mic is a significant differentiator versus the offerings from all the ID brands. It's a very capable room correction system and I consider that one of the most crucial ingredients in getting great sound.
RayGuy, tenthplanet and lorenzzo like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I also would consider that including ARC and a mic is a significant differentiator versus the offerings from all the ID brands. It's a very capable room correction system and I consider that one of the most crucial ingredients in getting great sound.
The built in ARC is nice for those looking to add a sub to a 2-channel system without room correction in the electronics, or for those with older HT receivers, but I wonder how much cost it adds to the units for those that already have an ARC or Dirac enabled receiver (or one of the better versions of Audyssey even). It seems like it would be a redundant feature in those settings.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #6 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
The built in ARC is nice for those looking to add a sub to a 2-channel system without room correction in the electronics, or for those with older HT receivers, but I wonder how much cost it adds to the units for those that already have an ARC or Dirac enabled receiver (or one of the better versions of Audyssey even). It seems like it would be a redundant feature in those settings.
Arguably, at least to a point, the question of redundancy is defined by capability. If you have ARC then you don't need it as it would be outright redundant. If you have Dirac, then you also don't need it but could use it if it provided a superior result.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Besides, these are just MSRPs, they will be cheaper at retail. How much cheaper is a speculation, as Paradigm is pretty good about maintaining their margins.
I've found 20% to be a fairly typical Paradigm dealer discount off MSRP.
RayGuy likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I agree and disagree. If you have a tough room using PBK (or ARC) with the sub can smooth things out then using ARC or Direc from the receiver can help finish any remaining issues and use less resources which can be used for correcting other speakers. At least this is what I have found. Also just my opinion.

I have a Sub 2 and PBK'ed it first then used ARC in my MRX700. My room sucks so I need all the help I can get. Changing the room or doing work on it isn't an option especially since I want to move out of this house as soon as I can.
lorenzzo likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-20-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
I agree and disagree. If you have a tough room using PBK (or ARC) with the sub can smooth things out then using ARC or Direc from the receiver can help finish any remaining issues and use less resources which can be used for correcting other speakers. At least this is what I have found. Also just my opinion.

I have a Sub 2 and PBK'ed it first then used ARC in my MRX700. My room sucks so I need all the help I can get. Changing the room or doing work on it isn't an option especially since I want to move out of this house as soon as I can.
Wow, that's a beast of a sub. Does the ARC in the receiver have a certain number of corrections it can apply? Meaning, if the bass needs a lot of work does that mean it can't apply as many to the upper frequencies? I would've figured it would be capable of applying across the spectrum pretty equally, but I'll admit I don't know the details of how it works internally. I'd just worry about the correction built into the sub fighting against the correction in the receiver, sort of how you're not supposed to install two different antivirus programs to run at the same time.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #10 of 14 Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Wow, that's a beast of a sub. Does the ARC in the receiver have a certain number of corrections it can apply? Meaning, if the bass needs a lot of work does that mean it can't apply as many to the upper frequencies? I would've figured it would be capable of applying across the spectrum pretty equally, but I'll admit I don't know the details of how it works internally. I'd just worry about the correction built into the sub fighting against the correction in the receiver, sort of how you're not supposed to install two different antivirus programs to run at the same time.
From what I understand is that the DPS only has so many resources to correct problems. Same as a processor that can only go so fast due to speed, cache, etc....

I forget where I heard this or who told me but the less that has to be corrected the more resources available to correct other peaks and valleys.
lorenzzo likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Actually the prices don't look out of line to me at all for MSRP and considering the built-in DSP and wireless that most subs do not have. Paradigm was on my "short list" a few years ago and has always had a solid reputation for good subs. These seem on the lower end of their line so are likely to be pretty popular. I'd guess they'll be a hit.

FWIWFM - Don (engineer, not marketeer, so take comments with a block of salt)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12 of 14 Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
From what I understand is that the DPS only has so many resources to correct problems. Same as a processor that can only go so fast due to speed, cache, etc....

I forget where I heard this or who told me but the less that has to be corrected the more resources available to correct other peaks and valleys.
True to a point... There is a limitation to the number of filters that can be implemented and how complex they are, but modern systems have hundreds to thousands so I do not see it as a real problem. I've misplaced my last 1024-band analog equalizer someplace...

Perhaps a bigger issue is dynamic range. Most compensation systems limit the boost and some may limit the cut (not sure on the latter; it is clear you can boost to whatever max output you can sustain, but a cut could probably be "infinite" down to the noise floor -- there are other considerations in practical filter designs that may limit it to 80 ~ 100 dB, still plenty for most of us). Since the biggest, broadest peaks and nulls typically happen in the bass, using some sort of sub EQ before the main EQ can provide much more available dynamic range for the main room correction program so could be a win even in those situations.

As for fighting each other, the usual schema is to run the sub's EQ first to let it do its thing, then not change it whilst running the AVR/processor room correction program so the latter has little to do in the sub region, freeing up headroom for the higher frequencies, and no fighting. Note some highly-credible sources (e.g. Dr. Toole) discourage EQ above the bass region. A look at wavelengths involved and speaker response at higher frequencies is a good indicator of why that is a valid position in many cases.

FWIWFM, HTH, etc. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 08-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
I've found 20% to be a fairly typical Paradigm dealer discount off MSRP.
Agreed. I normally negotiate 20-25% with ease.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
My sub has built in EQ and it works very very well.

That being said these are way down on power compared to the ARC enabled new Martin Logan sub line who's pricing is similar.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
defiance , Paradigm , subwoofer