Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Transducer suggestions

I have an iNuke 3000DSP with one channel driving my RSS390HO. It sounds great, but I think I'd benefit from a transducer or four. Many people recommend Crowson, but those are just out of my price range. I have two sofas in an L-shape. One is about 8 feet long and one is 5 feet long (2-person loveseat). I have hardwood floors and access to my unfinished basement below the living room, so mounting to my subfloor is a pretty reasonable option.

I'm leaning towards a Buttkicker, but I could also get 4 Aura AST-2B-4s for even less, and wire them all into a 4 ohm load. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I have an iNuke 3000DSP with one channel driving my RSS390HO. It sounds great, but I think I'd benefit from a transducer or four. Many people recommend Crowson, but those are just out of my price range. I have two sofas in an L-shape. One is about 8 feet long and one is 5 feet long (2-person loveseat). I have hardwood floors and access to my unfinished basement below the living room, so mounting to my subfloor is a pretty reasonable option.

I'm leaning towards a Buttkicker, but I could also get 4 Aura AST-2B-4s for even less, and wire them all into a 4 ohm load. Thoughts?
Clark Synthesis TST 429's are fantastic if you have the right amp and crossover. One is enough for 3 recliners on a raised platform so you should be good with 3 if you mount them to the floor. They blend really well with your subwoofers if you take the time to dial them in. You need to choose the amp (s) carefully if you want output at really low frequencies. I cross mine over at 60 Hz.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:

I am running 4 Aura AST 2B-4s off an iNuke 3000DSP (with the fan mod which is a must) and I am loving it. I did not want something that was going to be too intrusive, but I wanted some more tactile feel (I have home theater seating) and like you did not want to break the bank. I scored an amazing deal on some used Aura's and my thought was to try them out first and then I could sell them for what I paid and upgrade if needed.

I don't think I will upgrade. The Auras are just want I wanted. I put in a 60hz low pass filter (I played with 50hz too but settled on 60) on the iNuke and they are not intrusive at all. Meaning I only finding them providing feedback during larger explosions/action scenes and not for minor things. So far there is no unwanted noise from them, bottoming out issues, etc. They provide, for me, just the right amount of tactile feedback without being over the top or gimmicky. I am going to order 2 more so each chair in my theater will have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Where did you mount your Auras? New, they are roughly the same price as a single Buttkicker.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Where did you mount your Auras? New, they are roughly the same price as a single Buttkicker.
I mounted them to the bottom of my home theater chairs on the wood frame. I paid $40 shipped for 2 used ones and then bought 2 new ones for under $100 thanks to a Parts Express coupon. I already had the iNuke (it was collecting dust) so for $140 I am super happy.
post #6 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Sorry to hijack the topic but since we are discussing transducers I have a question. Is the feeling similar to how a sub would pressurize the room or is it more like the couch shaking violently?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Desai View Post
Sorry to hijack the topic but since we are discussing transducers I have a question. Is the feeling similar to how a sub would pressurize the room or is it more like the couch shaking violently?

It is shaking, not pressurization. I still have two really good subs to do that

It's all about tactile feedback. With the Aura's they do a good job in that a minor explosion might be more of a slight rumble feeling in your seat and then with a larger explosion it's more of a shaking sensation. It's not all or nothing, they do a good job emitting minor bass vs major impactful bass.

And it's not just in your butt. In my theater seats I can feel sensation from my head to my feet or wherever my body comes into contact with the chairs (which in my theater room means reclined almost all the time).
Kevin Desai likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

My intention is to augment the exceptionally low vibration of the sub. I'm thinking crossed over at 50-60hz, the transducer should not feel like anything on its own, only like the sub. Crossed higher I'd think it would feel artificial.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
My intention is to augment the exceptionally low vibration of the sub. I'm thinking crossed over at 50-60hz, the transducer should not feel like anything on its own, only like the sub. Crossed higher I'd think it would feel artificial.
Exactly. I have also heard people experience bottoming out or unwanted noise with some transducers and I was worried about that. So far none of that with the Auras.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I might have to get me a pair or two myself

Video: Optoma HD143X projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100 / Amps: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
Polk Signature Series - S60 Towers for L/R, S35 Center, S15 Surrounds
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801
Roku 4, Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box S, Darbee Darblet 5000
post #11 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Do yourself a favor and check out the mqb1 earthquakes. Great price on amazon. High recommended. I like you were searching for some transducers and some here recommended these. Im very happy with them. They blend right in with my subs and never bottom out.
nxs450 likes this.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Do yourself a favor and check out the mqb1 earthquakes. Great price on amazon. High recommended. I like you were searching for some transducers and some here recommended these. Im very happy with them. They blend right in with my subs and never bottom out.
Thanks @keeper . You are the second person to mention those. I have 2 buttkickers, but am curious about the earthquakes, and even see them on Amazon around $159.
keeper likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As @keeper and @ack_bk have mentioned, they do add another level of enjoying home theater. I have 3 subs that are doing the heavy lifting in the room, ad the 2 transducers that shake the couch. Even my daughters would rather watch a flick at home. That's gotta count for something.
ack_bk and fireman325 like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
As @keeper and @ack_bk have mentioned, they do add another level of enjoying home theater. I have 3 subs that are doing the heavy lifting in the room, ad the 2 transducers that shake the couch. Even my daughters would rather watch a flick at home. That's gotta count for something.
Your spot on. When set up correctly transducers add a lot to movie watching. They should blend in with subwoofers and not over power them.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
It is shaking, not pressurization. I still have two really good subs to do that

It's all about tactile feedback. With the Aura's they do a good job in that a minor explosion might be more of a slight rumble feeling in your seat and then with a larger explosion it's more of a shaking sensation. It's not all or nothing, they do a good job emitting minor bass vs major impactful bass.

And it's not just in your butt. In my theater seats I can feel sensation from my head to my feet or wherever my body comes into contact with the chairs (which in my theater room means reclined almost all the time).
Thank you. This is a great thread. Next upgrade will be a transducer!

ack_bk likes this.
post #16 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

The MQB-1 Earthquakes look promising. Similar design to the Buttkickers, though it appears they don't extend as far as the BK-LFE. One review says they needed an additional +6db @ 25hz just to maintain a flat response down to 40hz.

It's nice that they are 8 ohm so I could run two of them in parallel though.

I just picked up a restocked BK-LFE at Parts Express for $176. I'll give it a try under the floor first and see if I need more. I think the floor will be more convincing than the carpet as everything should shake (like the sub) and not just my seat.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Your spot on. When set up correctly transducers add a lot to movie watching. They should blend in with subwoofers and not over power them.
right @keeper . they add bass and when set up do not overwhelm the experience. Sometimes they shake a bit depending on the scene as well, as my buttkickers go a bit lower than my other subs
post #18 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The MQB-1 Earthquakes look promising. Similar design to the Buttkickers, though it appears they don't extend as far as the BK-LFE. One review says they needed an additional +6db @ 25hz just to maintain a flat response down to 40hz.

It's nice that they are 8 ohm so I could run two of them in parallel though.

I just picked up a restocked BK-LFE at Parts Express for $176. I'll give it a try under the floor first and see if I need more. I think the floor will be more convincing than the carpet as everything should shake (like the sub) and not just my seat.
A few people stated that they tried both and preferred the earthquakes as they don’t bottom out. At amazons current price and return policy I took the chance. Glad I did. I’m sure either will work well. Last year I picked up a used Buttkicker 1000 amp. I read they are working on a new model but haven’t heard anything recently.

Last edited by keeper; 08-22-2018 at 04:42 AM.
post #19 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Is your sub-floor decoupled from the rest of the floor? Depending on the total floor-space and mass your Buttkicker needs to "shake", a single transducer may not be enough - placement will also be critical to ensure the effect is evenly distributed across all seats.

The typical transducer setup is to bolt it directly to the frame of the seating to maximize energy transfer (Crowsons would go underneath the feet). Alternatively, they can also be attached to a riser (if one exists) in a more dedicated space. In either scenario, the seating/riser would be mechanically isolated from the rest of the floor.
post #20 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I have hardwood floors secured to the subfloor via nails, but there is a thin foam underlayment between the two. So maybe it is decoupled.
post #21 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Great... Now you guys have me looking at transducers.

Are there any transducers that I could use with my xpa-5 (200w/channel)? I could rearrange my surrounds to run off the receiver and use an adjustable low pass filter. Is that too powerful of an amp? I notice that the auras say 50w max.

Last edited by bansheesho; 08-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheesho View Post

Are there any transducers that I could use with my xpa-5 (200w/channel)? I could rearrange my surrounds to run off the receiver and use an adjustable low pass filter. Is that too powerful of an amp? I notice that the auras say 50w max.
I don’t know about other transducers but my Earthquakes are 500w max.
post #23 of 31 Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:

How many transducers? 50wx4=200 watts RMS. One channel should power 4 Auras.
post #24 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
How many transducers? 50wx4=200 watts RMS. One channel should power 4 Auras.
How would you wire that though?

If you put all 4 in series, that's a 16 ohm circuit, which would be underpowered. If I did 2 and 2 in a series parallel circuit I would end up with 4 ohm circuit resistance and be overpowered.
post #25 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
How would you wire that though?

If you put all 4 in series, that's a 16 ohm circuit, which would be underpowered. If I did 2 and 2 in a series parallel circuit I would end up with 4 ohm circuit resistance and be overpowered.
This is how I did mine for a 4ohm load and it did not overpower them. They are rated 50watt each continuous (RMS) and 75watt max (RMS). Most amps are overrated and for RMS and I doubt you will overpower them. I am running mine off my iNuke 3K DSP and have not overdriven them.

Last edited by ack_bk; 08-24-2018 at 07:16 AM.
post #26 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 841
I've been curious about stuff like this for a while but know nothing about it. What kind of transducers would I need to get to 10hz and below? And is there a diff between transducers and MA's?
post #27 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
I've been curious about stuff like this for a while but know nothing about it. What kind of transducers would I need to get to 10hz and below? And is there a diff between transducers and MA's?
If you are going for ultra low frequency you are likely looking at Crowson, Buttkicker LFE, and perhaps Clark Synthesis (Gold and Platinum). Crowson is considered by many to be the better overall product but you are looking at spending thousands of dollars depending on how many you need. There are lots of threads out there comparing some of these brands. If money was not issue I would go Crowson.
post #28 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 04:00 PM

How many of the auras would you need to do a 3 person couch and a 2 person love seat? Would 2 on each piece be worthwhile?
post #29 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
How many of the auras would you need to do a 3 person couch and a 2 person love seat? Would 2 on each piece be worthwhile?
I think 4 makes sense. If you attach them to the frame of the furniture it should provide tactile response to each seat.
post #30 of 31 Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^+1 @ack_bk . Attaching to the frame is a great way to increase tactile response. I have both of mine mounted to the frame underneath my couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buttkicker LFE mounted.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	2446114  

Last edited by lizrussspike; 08-24-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page