Subwoofer comparisons and impressions - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2462Likes

Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
well I can tell which one looks better but Im biased also

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Liked: 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Hey everyone,

I know there have been a few people anticipating the comparison between these 2 awesome subs and I promise I will post my review soon but thought I would go ahead and reserve a couple of spots here in the meantime. I will post my impressions soon.

But as Enrico has mentioned, we had a small gathering today so as soon as they can put their thoughts together, you may hear some impressions from @imureh , @tvuong and @LGJr . @enricoclaudio may post a little more than his brief statement above but he says he's a little biased.

I'm also hoping to get a few more select people from Houston in the next week or 2, we'll see if I can get that together.

Good times today guys!

Todd
Awesome. I'm very much looking forward to reading your impressions.
Mike Butny likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
First, thanks Todd for having us. As usual, where there is bass with AVSers, it’s always fun. Also, it was nice to meet Enrico. Here is my take on the JTR 2400ulf ($2700 + shipping) and the Rythmik FV25hp ($2500 shipped): They are both fantastic beasts each with its own strength. Both was reviewed and measured by @Ricci at https://data-bass.com/home. Two of either subs should satisfy 95% bassheads in most room.
We had each sub sitting at the exact same spot. Todd had a miniDSP HD with 2 separate programs that brought the 2 subs to a very similar/almost the same FR (the 2400ulf extended a few hertz lower). We then ran a quick 1 mic MLP Aud calibration, set speakers to small with 80hz xover, bump up the bass about 10db and listened at -5MV with Audyssey on, dynEQ and dynVol off. We listened to some heavy bass demo music and movie clips. The 2400ulf sounds thicker/more powerful with a in your face sound and has a bit more TR whereas the fv25hp sounds a bit more refine/leaner, does not cause attention to itself with surprisingly great amount of TR. We ran the fv25hp in 12hz/low damping then switched to hi damping. With low damping, the fv25hp has a closer sound signature to the 2400ulf but with less TR (again not by much). With hi damping, the Fv25hp sounds tighter/faster/less hanging/ringing (with less TR than low damping) which is more of the sound that I accustom to. The 2400ulf did chuff on a low note in the Suck My Bass song but it was not offensive. I love the explosions sound from the 2400ulf (more weight) but prefer the gunshots sound from the FV25hp (more refine, more instant on/off sound whereas the 2400ulf has more of the ‘in between sound’ as Todd was saying). The 2400ulf (165lbs) moved about 6 inches forward once we were done evaluating it. The FV25hp (210lbs) did not probably due to a much lighter birch enclosure and a more robust longer throw 18” JTR driver. Both subs was sitting on the wooden floor with 4 pieces of furniture sliders underneath. I am sure the rest of the guys will chime in. My conclusion (which doesn’t help much) is that while they both sound excellent, depends on what one likes, I definitely recommend auditioning these 2 subs at home and pick the winner for YOURSELF as they do sound different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1869
nice!! also really looking forward to hearing some impressions on these two behemoths!

hey Todd do you normally watch movies in Dolby PLii Music? or was this a testing thing?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

when I measured my fv25hp with rew, the frequency response was smoother/flatter with high damping(it measured better)...did anyone use rew during the comparisons? just wondering....

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
First, thanks Todd for having us. As usual, where there is bass with AVSers, it’s always fun. Also, it was nice to meet Enrico. Here is my take on the JTR 2400ulf ($2700 + shipping) and the Rythmik FV25hp ($2500 shipped): They are both fantastic beasts each with its own strength. Both was reviewed and measured by @Ricci at https://data-bass.com/home. Two of either subs should satisfy 95% bassheads in most room.
We had each sub sitting at the exact same spot. Todd had a miniDSP HD with 2 separate programs that brought the 2 subs to a very similar/almost the same FR (the 2400ulf extended a few hertz lower). We then ran a quick 1 mic MLP Aud calibration, set speakers to small with 80hz xover, bump up the bass about 10db and listened at -5MV with Audyssey on, dynEQ and dynVol off. We listened to some heavy bass demo music and movie clips. The 2400ulf sounds thicker/more powerful with a in your face sound and has a bit more TR whereas the fv25hp sounds a bit more refine/leaner, does not cause attention to itself with surprisingly great amount of TR. We ran the fv25hp in 12hz/low damping then switched to hi damping. With low damping, the fv25hp has a closer sound signature to the 2400ulf but with less TR (again not by much). With hi damping, the Fv25hp sounds tighter/faster/less hanging/ringing (with less TR than low damping) which is more of the sound that I accustom to. The 2400ulf did chuff on a low note in the Suck My Bass song but it was not offensive. I love the explosions sound from the 2400ulf (more weight) but prefer the gunshots sound from the FV25hp (more refine, more instant on/off sound whereas the 2400ulf has more of the ‘in between sound’ as Todd was saying). The 2400ulf (165lbs) moved about 6 inches forward once we were done evaluating it. The FV25hp (210lbs) did not probably due to a much lighter birch enclosure and a more robust longer throw 18” JTR driver. Both subs was sitting on the wooden floor with 4 pieces of furniture sliders underneath. I am sure the rest of the guys will chime in. My conclusion (which doesn’t help much) is that while they both sound excellent, depends on what one likes, I definitely recommend auditioning these 2 subs at home and pick the winner for YOURSELF as they do sound different.

Hey tvoung I have a few questions...
When you say that the subs were in the exact same placement were the baffles pulled out the same distance from the wall behind them?
There was DSP used to match the responses...Do you have measurements of the responses?
I do not understand using Audyssey after matching the responses. I don't think it can be assumed it treated both subs the same way exactly and ends up being a big variable. Were there measurements taken after Audyssey? Changing the damping on the FV25HP changes the frequency response which would throw off any attempt at response and level matching the 2 subs even more. Which sub was listened to first?

Sorry if it seems like I'm poking holes I'm just a data junkie and trying to get a grasp of the situation as much as possible.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
nice!! also really looking forward to hearing some impressions on these two behemoths!

hey Todd do you normally watch movies in Dolby PLii Music? or was this a testing thing?
Merry Christmas Mate! Good catch. Not exactly sure what happened there but the short answer is no, I don't. All movie listening was done with HD audio. I was, at some point, messing around a little bit with my 8801 audio settings and we also put in Kill Bill which we played as LPCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
when I measured my fv25hp with rew, the frequency response was smoother/flatter with high damping(it measured better)...did anyone use rew during the comparisons? just wondering....
I have not measured low, mid or high dampening yet, but Tony has and yes, high measures flatter than low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hey tvoung I have a few questions...
When you say that the subs were in the exact same placement were the baffles pulled out the same distance from the wall behind them?
There was DSP used to match the responses...Do you have measurements of the responses?
I do not understand using Audyssey after matching the responses. I don't think it can be assumed it treated both subs the same way exactly and ends up being a big variable. Were there measurements taken after Audyssey? Changing the damping on the FV25HP changes the frequency response which would throw off any attempt at response and level matching the 2 subs even more. Which sub was listened to first?

Sorry if it seems like I'm poking holes I'm just a data junkie and trying to get a grasp of the situation as much as possible.
Hey Ricci, yes they were placed in the same spot. I did not measure exactly but pushed them both back as far as they could go against the power plug. I know, not very scientific and surely not up to your standards but I'm pretty new to this and still learning. I'll certainly entertain any pointers. No worries about poking holes, I'm sure my exact setup is not perfect although I did try my best to get them on even footing. I have a bunch of graphs that I will post and you or anyone else can poke away. I'll get everything up as soon as I finish.

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Besides what Ricci said the best way is to not know which is playing. Then one can pick their favorite based on sound alone.
Mike Butny and imureh like this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Besides what Ricci said the best way is to not know which is playing. Then one can pick their favorite based on sound alone.
Agreed MK and if I had a dedicated theater that might have been something I could pull off. But alas, my room is multipurpose, I have a wife so limited time I can do this and not sure I have all the equipment to pull off a quick exchange for a "correct" A/B comparison. So, I/we are posting with what I have to work with. It's not going to be perfect for those that want it to be completely unbiased. Sorry.

Todd
jamiebosco and imureh like this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
We were doing this just for fun. They sound so different that even during a bling test, after 5 secs you would know which one is playing. The Cap 2400 sounds like it's in front of your face all the time. The FV25HP has more nuances and it plays very hard when need it but on the soft parts is very quiet and blends perfectly with the speakers. The Cap 2400 has just a bit more TR but the FV25HP has lots of TR as well. To the point that we were impressed with the amount of TR we were getting in that huge room from the FV25HP. The Cap 2400 showed some chuffing with songs that Tony was playing which are very demanding songs. Same chuffing was shown during Pulse Server Room scene. The FV25HP didn't show even a small sign of chuffing. The chuffing on the Cap 2400 is not aggressive or insulting but it's there. Of course, if you get a pair you should get zero chuffing from the Cap 2400 pair. Another thing I noticed with the Cap 2400 was box resonance which is normal in a cabinet made of baltic birch. The cabinet is so lightweight that during the stressful testing, it moved around 4" to 5" to the front. The FV25HP didn't move at all, not even a 1/4". The Cap 2400 sounds very good in Todd's room. I can't say the same about how it sounded in Ray's room. The Cap 2400 is a good performer but it needs a big room. Is small rooms like Ray's room, there is no definition between notes. It's like a big unending note. Same thing happened when we tested the Cap 1400 last year. Curiously, the 118HTs sounded very good in Ray's room, in fact very close to the FV18s paper cone. For some weird reason, the driver in the Cap 2400 and Cap 1400 does not like Ray's room. My final thought is that at this level of performance there is no right or wrong. Both choices are great and I cannot imagine anybody having regrets going with any of these two subwoofers.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
I was just saying the best way, which is not always a posibility. The best way is optimizing each sub that fits in their best location with a perfect response listening blind. If we have just one location with no gear to measure the best we can do for our room is listen to both the best we can and pick which ever is better to us. I understand all that. I do the same thing, after all, it is our room and experience with it there that matters. As long as the lesser output of a sub is not reached it can be the best sub for that room.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
It sounds like the articulation of the rhythmik servo system is hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The Cap 2400 showed some chuffing with songs that Tony was playing which are very demanding songs. Same chuffing was shown during Pulse Server Room scene. The FV25HP didn't show even a small sign of chuffing. The chuffing on the Cap 2400 is not aggressive or insulting but it's there. Of course, if you get a pair you should get zero chuffing from the Cap 2400 pair.
i'll chime in here. under most circumstances i could never get any port noise out of the fv25's. however if you play anything at volume under their port tuning chuffing was very audible. i wasn't a fan of the sound namely because it sounds exactly like you'd think--blowing air through plastic tubes.

i think the amount of porting that comes with the fv25 is sufficient as i never heard any noise unless i went looking for it.
Mike Butny likes this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
Old 12-28-2018, 01:21 PM

The Tale of Two Towers! Rythmik FV25 vs JTR 2400ULF

My impressions are posted here if you are interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57334986

Todd
jamiebosco likes this.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Merry Christmas Mate! Good catch. Not exactly sure what happened there but the short answer is no, I don't. All movie listening was done with HD audio. I was, at some point, messing around a little bit with my 8801 audio settings and we also put in Kill Bill which we played as LPCM.

Todd
Cheers mate, yeah had a great Chrissy! , hope you had the same?

All good, I just thought there may have a reason Dolby PLii Music was selected for testing the subs

Man, you have no idea how jealous I am when you guys get to do this kind of stuff!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Old 12-28-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
The 2400ulf (165lbs) moved about 6 inches forward once we were done evaluating it. The FV25hp (210lbs) did not probably due to a much lighter birch enclosure and a more robust longer throw 18” JTR driver. Both subs was sitting on the wooden floor with 4 pieces of furniture sliders underneath.
I thought there was a typo but I just misread it. Thanks for the impressions.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 10491
Quote:

Todd
Hi Todd,

That was a great review, and I enjoyed your humor! All of the reviews have seemed very objective to me. Different people can listen to the same things and come away with slightly, or completely, different impressions. I actually like that! Our differing preferences are part of what make us distinct individuals. That seems like it was a terrific experience.

Regards,
Mike
toddct and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 4707
Quote:

DESCRIPTIONS/OBSERVATIONS

Rythmik FV25: We (meaning Brian, Enrico and Ray) were able to get the FV25 up to my 2nd level wood floor. The FV25 weighs a ton….not really, just 225 pounds but still, it takes 2 if not 3 or 4 guys to move the sub up any type of stairs. It’s construction, fit and finish are excellent. It’s weight is comprised of 2x15 inch drivers, a big toroidal amp and MDF construction/bracing and because of these things, it is super inert. The aluminum drivers are beautiful and you have the option of silver a finish if that’s your thing. The finish is a smooth matte black. The boxing is incredible, double boxed, foam corners, cloth bag and skateboards……..did you hear what I said “skateboards”! The amp plate has so many dials that it looks like a NASA desk station. Houston……..we are go for liftoff!! I’m kidding of course, but it does have a lot of flexibility. That might be a little bit intimidating to beginners but I think it allows the sub to be tweaked for many different tastes and rooms, which I see as a bonus. Without feet it is a little over 41 inches tall, 21 wide and 22 deep. The FV25 and the 2400 are roughly the same size, if you can fit one, you can likely fit the other.

Todd
Tell that to my IKEA plant Bye bye plant, welcome FV25HP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8472.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2502070  
serith, toddct, mthomas47 and 3 others like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
SETUP/GRAPHS
My goal was/is to listen and measure them with their native frequency response without room correction and then try to optimize both. I’m used to having duals but a single sub measured best corner loaded, front left. Each sub was then boosted +10 dB hot, using REW. Caveat, on the 2400 when audy and mD are on, audy lowers the spl by about 3dB so when listening with both active I boosted the 2400 by 3dB.
The 1st measurement is audy off and no miniDSP. Native response.
The 2nd measurement is audy on and miniDSP off. Audy adjustment of native response.
The 3rd measurement is with audy off and miniDSP on. Adjusting native respond with MiniDSP.
The 4th measurement is with audy on and miniDSP on. Audy adjustment of miniDSP tweak.
You might be wondering why I did this and the honest answer is that I was just playing around to see what audy did with and without the miniDSP. Not sure if that’s the “right” way. Let me know if you have any requests for graphs and I’ll try to get them.
I just have one question. Where was the 2400ULF's LF Adjust at when you took these measurements and when you compared the subs with audio and movie clips?

I am only asking this because the Cap 4000ULF measures flat down to 6.5Hz in my HT with the Audy on and LF Adjust at Cut (min). However, when I watch movies, I turn the LF Adjust to Boost (maximum). The difference is 18dB at 10Hz. With the LF Adjust at Cut (min), I can't make the 4000ULF chuff. With the LF Adjust at Boost (max), it chuffs a bit with EOT intro or The Lone Survivor - Helicopter scene, but not with the other notorious chuff-inducing scenes.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi Todd,

That was a great review, and I enjoyed your humor! All of the reviews have seemed very objective to me. Different people can listen to the same things and come away with slightly, or completely, different impressions. I actually like that! Our differing preferences are part of what make us distinct individuals. That seems like it was a terrific experience.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike! I'm glad you got the humor. My wife does not think I'm funny at all.

Agreed!

And my hats off to you, @JimWilson , @Ricci and anyone else that does reviews, testing, etc. It sounds easy to say "hey, I'm gonna just bang out a review in a couple of days!" It's not as easy as it sounds and I didn't even do an 1/8 of what you guys do. Perhaps my brain just doesn't work that fast. It was fun and a learning experience tying together what I hear compared to what's on a graph (that is if I did them correctly).

Todd

Old 12-28-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2400: Controlled chaos is how I think of the 2400 when playing movies…..slightly restrained violence, a wrecking ball with a quilt around it. That maybe a stupid analogy but I’m trying. While the FV25 has really good TR in my space, the 2400 is just wicked awesome if that’s your thing.
this is exactly why i'm making the transition from rythmik to jtr, for the violent TR. hopefully i can live with the other trade off's.

your summary of the fv25 is pretty spot on too, having lived with them this past year. great write up!
mthomas47 and drh3b like this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
Old 12-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I just have one question. Where was the 2400ULF's LF Adjust at when you took these measurements and when you compared the subs with audio and movie clips?

I am only asking this because the Cap 4000ULF measures flat down to 6.5Hz in my HT with the Audy on and LF Adjust at Cut (min). However, when I watch movies, I turn the LF Adjust to Boost (maximum). The difference is 18dB at 10Hz. With the LF Adjust at Cut (min), I can't make the 4000ULF chuff. With the LF Adjust at Boost (max), it chuffs a bit with EOT intro or The Lone Survivor - Helicopter scene, but not with the other notorious chuff-inducing scenes.
What up chucky7? Shouldn't you be busy listening to your new speakers? Lol

Ok, LFA was at max while listening so it probably did lend a little bit to the chuffing and it may not have if I had the LFA cut. But I'm also in a 7k^3 room. It wasn't really a big deal to me as I don't have EOT intro on a loop. When playing both subs, I don't think it matters.

Todd

Muchas gracias for the table!!
chucky7 and jamiebosco like this.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
this is exactly why i'm making the transition from rythmik to jtr, for the violent TR. hopefully i can live with the other trade off's.

your summary of the fv25 is pretty spot on too, having lived with them this past year. great write up!
Thanks serith! I wish you luck in your sub nirvana quest. If you do settle on the 4k and it doesn't give you what you want...you're going to have to build a wall of drivers! But I suspect the 4k will come through in spades.

I will say this, and it's a distinct possibility that it's my room, but the FV25 does have good TR. Probably more so than I would have thought with the aluminum drivers.

Keep us posted.

Todd

Old 12-28-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks serith! I wish you luck in your sub nirvana quest. If you do settle on the 4k and it doesn't give you what you want...you're going to have to build a wall of drivers! But I suspect the 4k will come through in spades.

I will say this, and it's a distinct possibility that it's my room, but the FV25 does have good TR. Probably more so than I would have thought with the aluminum drivers.

Keep us posted.

Todd
when i setup & listened to the single fv25 i sold to a friend last week at his house, we gave it a mild flogging and he was also on a suspended floor. i heard & felt things that i never did in my basement with the trio. the fv25 certainly has a lot of tactile energy, it's just a question of how much more do i need to overcome concrete to shake my internal organs harder

i'll say this again too in case someone is reading through this review and/or sees me having sold my fv25's and is wondering why or thinks there's something wrong with them. there is nothing wrong with them! i'll probably never own subwoofers again that have the level of precision & accuracy that rythmik offers. while they were awesome to have, i'm chasing something more primal/brutal and the highest offerings from jtr are probably more in line with that. if i had to guess why it's probably the difference in driver size & excursion.

oh and yes, moving the fv25's is a huge PITA! when the first buyer showed up and took a pair, i had 4 people in total help move them. when i sold the remaining one to a friend i only had myself and said friend to handle the move. i'm still mildly sore from that...
toddct likes this.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Todd
Fantastic review mate, and I have to agree with Mike, all the impressions have come across as very even handed and impartial
It sounds like most people could go either way and be extremely happy
mthomas47 likes this.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Fantastic review mate, and I have to agree with Mike, all the impressions have come across as very even handed and impartial
It sounds like most people could go either way and be extremely happy
Thanks mate! I tried to be as fair as possible and agreed the others have too. But honestly, without doing it double blind it's hard to keep out some bias. We just worked with what we had!

Yes, both subs are spectacular! Both have a lot of spl and dig deep but go about it a little bit differently and thus have different sound signatures. Just depends on your preference.

Todd

Old 12-28-2018, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

would like to see waterfall graphs of both subs....

Old 12-28-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 3594
I am not sure if anyone will come away with anything different from what I am going to say here from what others who listened to these subs have said.
I have now listened to multiple offerings from Rythmik and JTR and most of them in my room. The design goals for both have been different from the start but got a bit closer with paper cone offering from Rythmik which was great while maintaining the Rythmik sound signature.

FV25HP:

Going into the session yesterday I had just heard a 12-inch sealed aluminum driver offering in Enrico’s house and based on all the things I had heard about the aluminum driver, I was ready for a non-contest comparison in the TR department against the Cap 2400. The first thing that surprised me was the TR from the aluminum drivers, I was not expecting that level of TR from them and they sound fantastic. I really appreciated the clarity in the bass and nuances of all the different bass octaves that I could pick out. The FV25HP sounded deep, clean, punchy with a lot of TR. For gunshots the FV25HP was hard to beat. The driver stops on a dime and results in precise hits. The deep music sounded fantastic on the FV25HP, no port noise whatsoever. The lack of port noise on the FV25HP seems to be a factor of Servo as well as the larger port area that FV25HP has compared to the 2400.

I find the same thing in my FV18s, these subs own scenes like the pulse server room and EoT and suck my bass type music. Due to the cleanliness of the bass the subs are stealthy, you don’t realize the kind of bass being produced till you break something on a shelf or your room fixtures and windows start complaining. To me the FV25HP sounded a lot closer to my paper cone FV18 than I expected as well as to the 2400 in TR.

As others have said the FV25HP is really inert due to the MDF construction, even when pushing the sub, I placed my hand on the cabinet and there were minimal vibrations. I can understand now why Brian likes MDF vs birch or other material. I can also see that in a room like mine some of that cabinet resonance could be a contributor to lack of clarity I heard coupled with long decay times from a high excursion driver.

The flexibility of the Rythmik amp has grown on me with time once I understood what each function did and how I could use them to tailor the sound to what I like. I was one of those who were intimidated by the Rythmik amp options but now appreciate having them rather than not.

Cap 2400ULF

Even though I own Rythmik subs now, I have a soft spot for Todd’s subs as listening to the weight in the bass form his subs is what made be realize what I was missing from my PSA subs and started my search again. I have heard the Cap 2400 a few times now in Todd’s room and once in mine. The driver used in the 2400 does have a distinct think and full sound signature. Even on the Audy pings the JTR driver sounds different than any other driver I have heard including PSA, SVS, Rythmik, and Seaton. The latter sound more like each other, the JTR on its own. It is this driver that makes the JTR a better performer in open rooms than small rooms on suspended floors. The higher excursion driver with longer decay times, more floor resonance on a suspended floor due to the higher excursion and some cabinet resonance could all contribute to the lack of clarity compared to the FV25HP especially in a small room on a suspended floor but perhaps to some degree in a large room. The Cap 2400 sounded a bit one note bass versus the nuances of the bass in the FV25HP.

The 2400 did fill the room well as we had observed in the GTG, and bass did not seem localized. The JTR is brute force and violence is the only description that fits its behavior. I had observed similar characteristics in the 118HT, it was violent as well but without the thick sound texture of the driver employed in the 2400 and other JTR subs.

The excursion on the 2400 is one to marvel for sure. It is almost mesmerizing and hypnotic. That immense excursion contributed to the port noise we heard on some material from the 2400. The port noise was not offensive and as others have said is likely to not be there when running dual subs and playing normal content at normal levels.

There certainly seem to be some material where I would favor the Rythmik and others where I would favor the 2400. I agree these are stellar subs and one could not go wrong with either. The 2400 does have the edge in TR in comparison but since my expectations were so low for the FV25HP’s TR that I was shocked by how much it did have. I won’t say that it is at the level of the 2400 but difference was not as much as I had expected. The 2400 makes its presence known all the time, its hard to ignore, the FV25HP would just jump you when not ready. Some may like one or the other.

Best way to know what you like is to bite the bullet and demo them in your home. The room and set up will make all the difference between how these subs perform. The Rythmik subs do seem to have a very good native FR as we found in my room as well as Todd’s but the floor construction, placement options, and listening preferences etc will inform your decision on what you find better in your room. For me I know now that the JTR driver does not work in my room for reasons explained above, the 118HT sounded great but the 2400 and 1400 did not.

If some one is looking to buy this level of subs, do yourself a favor and get a UMIK and REW and make sure you know why you are hearing something the way you are hearing it. Spending this much on sub and not really understanding your room is a waste of money IMO. No level of sub will compensate for poor placement.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to listen to these outstanding subs not once but multiple times now. Brian and Jeff are one of the nicest guys you could meet, passionate about their products, inventors and open to feedback and cater to their customers. Kudos Brian and Jeff, I am excited to see what you both produce next (I am not in a hurry by the way)

Best,
Ray

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD

Last edited by imureh; 12-28-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM

Well put my friend and glad you covered a few things I missed!

Todd
imureh likes this.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
would like to see waterfall graphs of both subs....
Hey torii, give me till tomorrow and I'll try to get those posted.

Todd
torii likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement