Subwoofer comparisons and impressions - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2353Likes

post #991 of 1771 Old 02-28-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Thanks Mike.

Yeah the 2400ULF is really a stunning subwoofer and I think Jeff did a great job in the design. I would recommend them to anyone seeking ULF and all that goes with it. Obviously the amp issue has me concerned...
Maybe the driver itself? Have you tried taking the driver from the working sub and installing it into the malfunctioning sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1771 Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 4599
Yeah maybe the driver is messed up or hopefully it's just a loose connection on the driver terminals.
Good luck Hop
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #993 of 1771 Old 02-28-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I have no doubt about that for sure. Also, fwiw I don't know if the 3601 has any type of limiter on it, or "Subsonic filter" but either of those would probably remove most of the 6hz effect. With the 2400 you will see some major movement from the driver even with the HPF being above that, it still sneaks in there a good bit.
Beast he has the 'V'3601 so no chance of playing the 6hz note. However, the 20hz note in that scene is loud too, just not as hot as the 6hz. I have a very hard time believing the 2400 would do the 6hz note any justice anyway so that makes sense Hop preferred the 3601's. FR's of the subs might show why too.
Archaea, MKtheater and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
@Hopinater that sucks about the amp issue. Not sure whats going on and hope you get it resolved. Since you like the sound of the Cap2400 and the midbass of the psa....there is local sale in Columbia, SC (somewhat local to you) that has dual S2 on sale for $4000 pair. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-rp250c-s.html

I know the guy personally and have heard his dual S2s in person and boy they pound! Just another option for you if you want that combo of ULF and midbass and save a bit of coin if your amp in Cap2400 doesn't work out!

But now you need to talk about the crowsons and how they interact with both subs!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #995 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked: 9730
Well guys, I've thought hard about what to do and it pains me to say this but I've decided to return the 2400ULFs while I'm still in the demo period. The new amp worked well all day yesterday but I actually find that more stressful because I have no idea what may make it stop working again or when it will happen. What I need is peace of mind and I haven't been able to get there with that sub. And I was so happy when the new amp worked and I was able to enjoy everything and then out of the blue it stopped. To be honest that was a disappointment that I didn't need.

But there is more to my decision. The day after these subs arrived my 91 year old mother fell and broke her arm and sprained her hip and ankle badly. This was her second fall in the last four years. The first was much worse. So during this period of subwoofer trouble shooting there also has been the whole hospital trip coupled with multiple doctors appointments all while trying to deal with ground loop hums and faulty amps. I've tried to be positive but this whole sub situation has been stressful and I don't have the mental energy to deal with trouble shooting amp issues.

This is by no way a knock against Jeff or JTR products. The man makes wonderful audio equipment and I would not hesitate to recommend the Cap 2400ULF subs to anyone. They are a great product and I've thoroughly enjoyed them... when the amp worked. And I don't think these amp issues are a reflection on Jeff at all. I truly think he received a shipment of problematic amps and he can't know that until they fail or act up.

Anyway, I'm going to return them while I can because I don't have the mental energy to ride this merry go round of a working not working subwoofer. I'm going to focus on family health issues, help my parents and regroup in a few weeks and see what I should do next. I'll probably order Rythmik and see what their low port tuned sub is like but for now I'm going to take this stress off my plate.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #996 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Subwoofer comparisons and impressions

Quote:
Well guys, I've thought hard about what to do and it pains me to say this but I've decided to return the 2400ULFs while I'm still in the demo period. The new amp worked well all day yesterday but I actually find that more stressful because I have no idea what may make it stop working again or when it will happen. What I need is peace of mind and I haven't been able to get there with that sub. And I was so happy when the new amp worked and I was able to enjoy everything and then out of the blue it stopped. To be honest that was a disappointment that I didn't need.

But there is more to my decision. The day after these subs arrived my 91 year old mother fell and broke her arm and sprained her hip and ankle badly. This was her second fall in the last four years. The first was much worse. So during this period of subwoofer trouble shooting there also has been the whole hospital trip coupled with multiple doctors appointments all while trying to deal with ground loop hums and faulty amps. I've tried to be positive but this whole sub situation has been stressful and I don't have the mental energy to deal with trouble shooting amp issues.

This is by no way a knock against Jeff or JTR products. The man makes wonderful audio equipment and I would not hesitate to recommend the Cap 2400ULF subs to anyone. They are a great product and I've thoroughly enjoyed them... when the amp worked. And I don't think these amp issues are a reflection on Jeff at all. I truly think he received a shipment of problematic amps and he can't know that until they fail or act up.

Anyway, I'm going to return them while I can because I don't have the mental energy to ride this merry go round of a working not working subwoofer. I'm going to focus on family health issues, help my parents and regroup in a few weeks and see what I should do next. I'll probably order Rythmik and see what their low port tuned sub is like but for now I'm going to take this stress off my plate.

Sorry hear about the family issues bud. Take care of that first. I am sorry the JTR did not work and you will be out some money. I would try and get Jeff to cover shipping costs at least one way as the return is due to a non working product. Good luck and let us know how you are getting along. Best wishes to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopinater likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD

Last edited by imureh; 03-01-2019 at 06:46 AM.
post #997 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Hopinater,
Wish your family well.
CallingMrBenzo and Hopinater like this.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #998 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Quoted: 5493 Post(s)
Liked: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post
Beast he has the 'V'3601 so no chance of playing the 6hz note. However, the 20hz note in that scene is loud too, just not as hot as the 6hz. I have a very hard time believing the 2400 would do the 6hz note any justice anyway so that makes sense Hop preferred the 3601's. FR's of the subs might show why too.
Do it justice? Definitely not, it's far enough from port tune. Oddly enough though, when we demo'd the cap 4k in KC two years ago at the last theater crawl, I was upstairs in one guy's house while the 4k was belting out "Carbon Prevails" from The Social Network soundtrack. That song, and well the whole album is pretty spectacular for anyone interested...Anyways, that particular track features a 3-4hz hit that takes place quite a bit throughout the track and every time it hit, the floor would buckle. While down in the HT room below, you could also see the massive cone excursion take place when it was presented so even though the note is well below tune, the cap4k was producing the event pretty well. I was actually quite surprised by it.
Hopinater likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #999 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Hop, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope all is well with her and your family. I am dealing with my 90 years old Dad in and out of hospital every other week, so I feel your stress levels.
Hopinater likes this.
post #1000 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Quote:

Sorry to hear JTR didn't work well for you. Take care of your mom, that is most important. Maybe you should try Funk or DSS sealed subs so you get that low extension and still have plenty of midbass output.
CallingMrBenzo and Hopinater like this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1001 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 599 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3765 Post(s)
Liked: 3534

Quote:
Well that is interesting. I wonder why would it would seem to me the V3601 was more intense? I'll have too give it a re-listen and see. Maybe by that time I was cooked as far as listening and absorbing information. It was the last demo in a long series of demos. Either way both subs make that scene fun.

Because you don’t have measurements to confirm what you are hearing — so you have no idea if you were comparing apples to apples — days apart with different autoEQ cals.

Also —
Neither of those subs can play six hz properly. It’s nearly two octaves below port tune even on the JTR.

Even if either sub could do more than harmonic distortion on that note, there just isn’t enough driver surface area in a single 18” to be very impactful at six hz unless your room is the size of a tiny sealed bedroom.

My unsolicited advice is to buy a calibrated microphone and produce some measurements to put some objectivity and understanding alongside your strong writing skills. Not meant as a dig, just as a maturing next step. It’s obvious you have a lot of people interested in your opinions on these things - it’s fair and responsible to add some objective data to your experiences.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 03-01-2019 at 04:43 PM.
post #1002 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Do it justice? Definitely not, it's far enough from port tune. Oddly enough though, when we demo'd the cap 4k in KC two years ago at the last theater crawl, I was upstairs in one guy's house while the 4k was belting out "Carbon Prevails" from The Social Network soundtrack. That song, and well the whole album is pretty spectacular for anyone interested...Anyways, that particular track features a 3-4hz hit that takes place quite a bit throughout the track and every time it hit, the floor would buckle. While down in the HT room below, you could also see the massive cone excursion take place when it was presented so even though the note is well below tune, the cap4k was producing the event pretty well. I was actually quite surprised by it.
Mmmm idk man. Had this same discussion with another member recently and unless it's speclab'd or a FR is shown I don't believe it. The 4K is a 10hz tuned sub. I have no idea what the filter is but typically I think ID ported subs run at least a 24db filter. Idk maybe @chucky7 knows for sure. Granted every ported sub will go a couple hz lower than the tune and have some pretty good output but we're talking a 10hz tune already. So 5hz is another octave lower than the tune and as you know hard as hell to do, and would need to combat the filter, electronics roll-off, and 4x the excursion requirement to have anything meaningful at that frequency. You're saying a 10hz tuned sub produced a 3-4hz note pretty well?? I'd bet it tried to if the tone/frequency was hot enough and maybe just was producing the harmonics. Hard to say without a graph but I'd wager it's not playing the actual fundamental.

Yup just saw @Archaea post and agree 100%.

@Hopinater sorry about your mum man. Went through the same thing last year and felt exactly like you and it sucks to say the least. Wish you and your family the best right now.
chucky7 and Hopinater like this.
post #1003 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 3373 Post(s)
Liked: 4082
Hop, I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. Please tell her "Speedy recoveries" for me.

HT is a hobby at best and family comes first!

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #1004 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Agreed, family comes first! Sorry about your mom, wishing her and you the best.

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #1005 of 1771 Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 579
@Hopinater
I haven't posted much lately but continue to lurk.

We're all kids here playing with toys.
Family and loved ones, that is what's actually important. I wish your mom a healthy and speedy recovery.
chucky7, Hopinater and iceatola like this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #1006 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mmmm idk man. Had this same discussion with another member recently and unless it's speclab'd or a FR is shown I don't believe it. The 4K is a 10hz tuned sub. I have no idea what the filter is but typically I think ID ported subs run at least a 24db filter. Idk maybe @chucky7 knows for sure. Granted every ported sub will go a couple hz lower than the tune and have some pretty good output but we're talking a 10hz tune already. So 5hz is another octave lower than the tune and as you know hard as hell to do, and would need to combat the filter, electronics roll-off, and 4x the excursion requirement to have anything meaningful at that frequency. You're saying a 10hz tuned sub produced a 3-4hz note pretty well?? I'd bet it tried to if the tone/frequency was hot enough and maybe just was producing the harmonics. Hard to say without a graph but I'd wager it's not playing the actual fundamental..
My best guess is the Cap 4000ULF should have a HPF @ 7Hz, or 2/3 octave lower than its port tune. A 20Hz tuned sub would have HPF @ 13Hz or so.

The Lone Survivor - Helicopter scene is so far the most demanding scene for my Cap 4000ULF, due to the hot 6Hz signal.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #1007 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1305

Excellent posts Hop. I think you portrayed an accurate picture of the JTR experience. The balance is certainly tilted towards a specific type of performance, and people will value that tilt differently. I also appreciate how you acknowledged that life circumstances may have colored the whole experience, that is a tough thing to recognize.

Sorry to hear about the family troubles man, hope all goes well for you and yours!
post #1008 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
B

My unsolicited advice is to buy a calibrated microphone and produce some measurements to put some objectivity and understanding alongside your strong writing skills. Not meant as a dig, just as a maturing next step. It’s obvious you have a lot of people interested in your opinions on these things - it’s fair and responsible to add some objective data to your experiences.
Good point. I actually do have REW and a mic but I never got to the point of measuring my in room response etc due to all the extenuating circumstances. I was going to tackle that down the road when time allowed.

Sadly it was all a series of unfortunate events conspiring against what should have been a very exciting time. Oh well, I'll regroup when things smooth out and see where to go next.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #1009 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys... I want to thank all of you for your support and well wishes. This is why I like AVS so much... because at the end of the day we all love this hobby but we all know that there are far more important things in life.

post #1010 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Hey guys... I want to thank all of you for your support and well wishes. This is why I like AVS so much... because at the end of the day we all love this hobby but we all know that there are far more important things in life.
Hop,

I was really saddened to catch up on this thread. I wish you and the family the best, and for you mom to have a speedy recovery.
Hopinater likes this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #1011 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 3358
Quote:

Since you’ve had a pair of potent subs for a while, I never asked if you had space for placement of four subs, but I’d think a Rhythmic FV18 x 4 would be awesome around your room! Or maybe wait on the possibility of the FV28...if that’s on the horizon. Quite a few good options you’re already aware of.

I hope your mom recovers swiftly for her age. I work in healthcare and know all too well the difficulties that accompany such traumas. Best of luck!
Hopinater likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #1012 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 2775
Quote:

Wishing your moms well Hop and will keep her lifted up in prayer as well as you all who support her.
Hopinater likes this.
post #1013 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
My best guess is the Cap 4000ULF should have a HPF @ 7Hz, or 2/3 octave lower than its port tune. A 20Hz tuned sub would have HPF @ 13Hz or so.

The Lone Survivor - Helicopter scene is so far the most demanding scene for my Cap 4000ULF, due to the hot 6Hz signal.
Chucky I don't think a HPF is that far below a ported subs tune. Using your example that's like saying a sub like the V1801 has a HPF around 13hz. The port compression would be monumental and the driver would unload way before 13hz. Again we're talking about a sub tuned to 10hz. The excursion requirements skyrocket since the octaves are so much smaller so it can be dangerous quick. 6hz is almost 4x the excursion below the subs tune. Any ported ID sub is already suffering from port compression as it has to make some sacrifices and at 6hz would be extreme. I'd bet Jeff will share the info with you though. Like you said that 6hz note in the Chinook scene is extremely hot though so it might play some of it at a much lower level then intended or it's harmonics. Without Speclab it's impossible to say really but I highly doubt it. It's just the physics of ported subs. Though the 4K is not your typical ported sub...
mthomas47 and Hopinater like this.
post #1014 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5314 Post(s)
Liked: 9878
Quote:

Quote:
Chucky I don't think a HPF is that far below a ported subs tune. Using your example that's like saying a sub like the V1801 has a HPF around 13hz. The port compression would be monumental and the driver would unload way before 13hz. Again we're talking about a sub tuned to 10hz. The excursion requirements skyrocket since the octaves are so much smaller so it can be dangerous quick. 6hz is almost 4x the excursion below the subs tune. Any ported ID sub is already suffering from port compression as it has to make some sacrifices and at 6hz would be extreme. I'd bet Jeff will share the info with you though. Like you said that 6hz note in the Chinook scene is extremely hot though so it might play some of it at a much lower level then intended or it's harmonics. Without Speclab it's impossible to say really but I highly doubt it. It's just the physics of ported subs. Though the 4K is not your typical ported sub...

It seems to me that the ratio would not be a constant, to begin with. The difference between 2/3 of an octave with a 20Hz port tune, and 2/3 with a 10Hz port tune, would be substantial. I imagine that designers determine the best location for a HPF through a combination of intuition and trial-and-error. But, if anything, I would expect the HPF to be only a few decibels below the port tune, even with a 20Hz tuning point.

On the other hand, let's say that the HPF for the Cap 4000ULF is at about 8Hz, instead of 7Hz. With enough room gain (which at 6Hz could be substantial) I could see the subwoofer still putting-out some significant SPL with the right material. There is something that I think we may be overlooking anyway, though, when we talk about "hearing" the Chinook at 6Hz. Whales might hear the Chinook (even at very low volume levels) but I don't believe that any humans would, even at very high volume levels. We could feel the tactile energy, though, and we could hear harmonics of that fundamental frequency, with the right subwoofer(s). That would make it seem as if we were hearing 6Hz.

That is a point that I think was lost in an earlier post by @beastaudio . It wasn't just whether the sub was producing meaningful SPL, at a particular frequency, that made the floor buckle upstairs. It was whether the very low-frequency was still making the drivers move rapidly in-and-out, producing particle velocity, which made things shake upstairs, even if there weren't much sound associated with that. Beastaudio was talking about low-frequency tactile response, not low-frequency sound pressure, and they are produced by different mechanisms.

FWIW, I think that under the right conditions, a Cap 4000ULF could produce either meaningful SPL well below 10Hz (with enough room gain), or it could produce significant low-frequency TR, as long as there was still some serious cone excursion occurring.

Regards,
Mike
Hopinater likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #1015 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the HPF is not something that I need to know. I remember Jeff mentioned that the HPF for the 17Hz tuned Cap 1400 is at 13Hz or so... If going with this it would be around half octave below the port tune. Then again this is JTR's choice with its 33mm X-max driver products. I wouldn't be surprised if the V3601's HPF is at 17Hz or so.

post #1016 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
It seems to me that the ratio would not be a constant, to begin with. The difference between 2/3 of an octave with a 20Hz port tune, and 2/3 with a 10Hz port tune, would be substantial. I imagine that designers determine the best location for a HPF through a combination of intuition and trial-and-error. But, if anything, I would expect the HPF to be only a few decibels below the port tune, even with a 20Hz tuning point.

On the other hand, let's say that the HPF for the Cap 4000ULF is at about 8Hz, instead of 7Hz. With enough room gain (which at 6Hz could be substantial) I could see the subwoofer still putting-out some significant SPL with the right material. There is something that I think we may be overlooking anyway, though, when we talk about "hearing" the Chinook at 6Hz. Whales might hear the Chinook (even at very low volume levels) but I don't believe that any humans would, even at very high volume levels. We could feel the tactile energy, though, and we could hear harmonics of that fundamental frequency, with the right subwoofer(s). That would make it seem as if we were hearing 6Hz.

That is a point that I think was lost in an earlier post by @beastaudio . It wasn't just whether the sub was producing meaningful SPL, at a particular frequency, that made the floor buckle upstairs. It was whether the very low-frequency was still making the drivers move rapidly in-and-out, producing particle velocity, which made things shake upstairs, even if there weren't much sound associated with that. Beastaudio was talking about low-frequency tactile response, not low-frequency sound pressure, and they are produced by different mechanisms.

FWIW, I think that under the right conditions, a Cap 4000ULF could produce either meaningful SPL well below 10Hz (with enough room gain), or it could produce significant low-frequency TR, as long as there was still some serious cone excursion occurring.

Regards,
Mike
That's what I guessed as well. I'd imagine most ID, and any commercial sub, is no more than 2hz or so below the subs tune. They have to take into account user error i.e. some guy playing the chinook scenen or EoT intro at reference. Not everyone who buys a sub checks on AVS to see how low and loud a movie goes. So Jeff, Tom, Brian etc have to be careful with the HPF's.

While I agree with most of what you said Mike there's the issue of distortion on frequencies that low that set in very quickly. I know Chucky didn't hear that frequency, I'm not questioning that, but who knows what all was playing in that scene so it's hard to pin point where the TR was coming from. So again that 6hz he thought he felt is purely speculative with no graph.

Beast said the 4K was playing, or reproducing 3-4hz though and idk man.....no way I see that happening. I'd bet that was harmonics. That's over an octave below tune. Again between that the HPF, electronics roll-off, and maybe even another limiter on top of the HPF for the amp itself that would be very hard to do.

Quote:
Well, the HPF is not something that I need to know. I remember Jeff mentioned that the HPF for the 17Hz tuned Cap 1400 is at 13Hz or so... If going with this it would be around half octave below the port tune. Then again this is JTR's choice with its 33mm X-max driver products. I wouldn't be surprised if the V3601's HPF is at 17Hz or so.
Like Mike said that doesn't hold true for every ported sub. I'm sure each company/designer has their formula or reasoning for whatever they choose it to be. What is true is that drivers unload below tune and asking them to play that low below it is dangerous. I can't imagine too many companies setting it that low. You're right though those drivers have some pretty good throw so maybe that's why Jeff has the ability to HP lower than normal? Idk but my point remains if it isn't graphed I'm skeptical.
mthomas47 and Hopinater like this.
post #1017 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3831
Quote:

Hope your mom heals up fast Hop, sorry things didn't go as planned with the new subs. Take some time out to get things sorted with family and come back with a fresh perspective when your ready. You have a lot of experience now of what your preferences are and a lot of great options to choose from when the time is right.
Hopinater likes this.
post #1018 of 1771 Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
Quote:
It's things like this that make me want to stay sealed...it just takes a lot more money to get to the same output levels.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #1019 of 1771 Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Haven’t been here in awhile, so it took me some time to catch upon a few threads. Hop, I hope for a speedy recovery for your mother! 🙏🙏🙏

It’s easy to get caught up in the minutiae of our lives—we must not lose sight of what is truly important. Time with our loved ones is both precious and priceless.
Hopinater likes this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #1020 of 1771 Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
I'll probably order Rythmik and see what their low port tuned sub is like.
Really curious to hear your opinion on the Rythmik FV25 against others. It would be super cool if you can compare the FV25’s pair against the 2400ulf’s pair in your room at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page