Subwoofer comparisons and impressions - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2175Likes

post #1201 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
With a difference like that can you get both subs up front? Assuming that beautiful curve will stay the same and it’s not dependent on the combines responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moving the sub to front give me a lot of gain in Low Frequencies [port tuned to 40hz] but drops from 40-80Hz like around 9dB. Having sub on the back drops 8-9dB below 23Hz but has gain around 30-65Hz. Combining them together gives a much better response. So having 1 sub on front and 1 on back gives the best response.

Now, as I said before, FR is just one part of it. TR is another. Even tough I didn't do a heavy bass listening, I did try out on scenes that have little bit of bass. I'm not talking about explosions but like general scene where they have some music in background with some drum beats. With both subs in the back, these used to resonate in my chest. Not a lot but just a tiny bit and I loved it. Since these scenes don't need much bass, I tried them out and didn't feel it. What I can tell with very little testing is that the Bass SPL has increased. I hear more bass but that resonate part is missing in those scenes now. I think that's why @dominguez1 has a MB module just to provide that impact. I'm assuming that its NF?
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
It's been a while since I last took a FR sweep, but think this was my last one:

So, I'd say I'm running 15-20db hot in the 10-30hz range (blue curve). The red curve is without MBMs.
Well no wonder why i didn't feel anything. I was running only 7dB hot with flat from 20-50 and 3dB lowered at 100 lolllss. There was no way I could feel it . Which MBM are you using and where is it placed? I think I might have to use one too if I want that chest slam I used to get with both subs closer.
post #1203 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Well no wonder why i didn't feel anything. I was running only 7dB hot with flat from 20-50 and 3dB lowered at 100 lolllss. There was no way I could feel it . Which MBM are you using and where is it placed? I think I might have to use one too if I want that chest slam I used to get with both subs closer.
Looks like you may have a slight harmon house curve where your ULF is higher than midbass and xover point? You can do opposite house curve where it rises from ULF to xover point if you want more midbass and less ULF. Just a suggestion.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
lol, yes running hot definitely helps! But, I can feel it running flat as well, I just get more of the goods when I run hot.

I use the Behringer 1200D nearfield. See link below:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post43534946
post #1205 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Looks like you may have a slight harmon house curve where your ULF is higher than midbass and xover point? You can do opposite house curve where it rises from ULF to xover point if you want more midbass and less ULF. Just a suggestion.
If you see my post here, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57785404, it has both curves on top of each other. I used the same custom curve in both cases. There is barely any difference in MidBass area and yet when both subs were closer to MLP, they provided more that chest slam. I think its a TR thing and based on my experience, TR and chest slam can be achieved by having subs closer. I'm not saying NF close but around 60-70" close to MLP. 65" was close enough to get the chest hit and resonance with 7dB. I yet have to test with high volume and see how subs perform now but with previous setup, 7dB was plenty to get a very decent TR and chest slam.
post #1206 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
lol, yes running hot definitely helps! But, I can feel it running flat as well, I just get more of the goods when I run hot.

I use the Behringer 1200D nearfield. See link below:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post43534946
Ah yes. I do have one. I didn't bother to integrate it much because I was already getting good TR/chest slam with my subs but now I think I'll need it if new setup doesn't do it well. I'm very sure you have it placed VNF like right behind the couch?
dominguez1 likes this.
post #1207 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 9822
Quote:
If you see my post here, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57785404, it has both curves on top of each other. I used the same custom curve in both cases. There is barely any difference in MidBass area and yet when both subs were closer to MLP, they provided more that chest slam. I think its a TR thing and based on my experience, TR and chest slam can be achieved by having subs closer. I'm not saying NF close but around 60-70" close to MLP. 65" was close enough to get the chest hit and resonance with 7dB. I yet have to test with high volume and see how subs perform now but with previous setup, 7dB was plenty to get a very decent TR and chest slam.
Quote:
Ah yes. I do have one. I didn't bother to integrate it much because I was already getting good TR/chest slam with my subs but now I think I'll need it if new setup doesn't do it well. I'm very sure you have it placed VNF like right behind the couch?

FWIW, I definitely think you are on the right track now with your current subwoofer arrangement of one in front, and one in back. If you can get that much more low-frequency SPL with your new arrangement, I think that you will be way ahead of the game. Then, as noted, you can just use your B1200D to increase your mid-bass TR (chest punch). And, you can adjust that MBM, in both position and in volume, to give you just the right amount of extra punch.

I think it is far harder to achieve good low-frequency SPL than it is to achieve good mid-bass SPL and TR. And the more that you boost your subwoofers, the more that you will observe the <20Hz differences that Dom has been talking about. Once you have the low-frequency sound and TR you want, I believe it is much easier to augment your mid-bass; especially if you already have a Behringer on hand. The hardest part is to get the low-frequency response to begin with, if that is something you want.

Regards,
Mike
dominguez1 likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #1208 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not VNF, just NF. It's about a foot away from the couch due to aesthetic reasons...
post #1209 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Hey Dom , good to see you around a bit. We need Another GTG.
dominguez1 likes this.
post #1210 of 1713 Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
What dimensions are your room? I have a 1430 cubic foot room but on carpet over concrete. I like high excursion drivers much more than 20-23 mm drivers. I would think the floor and response would matter more. What was the response of the 2400 when it sound bad?
Im on suspended floors...my twin 19mm excursion drivers are all around better than my ultra high excursion(HST-18) driver even when it was paired with an HT-18(20+mm?). I'm sure a pair of HST's would have been ridiculous down low, but I love the mid and upper bass performance I'm getting from my 97 dB drivers. It's the right balance for me, likely in part because I have mains with mediocre capability. I'm in the process of upgrading my mains, but I suspect my "hybrid" style drivers are still the best all around solution for my needs. They would probably fall short in your room for what you are looking for.
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #1211 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM

I started with 20mm drivers(DIY). I used to own twin folded horn 18s and Danley DTS-10s and other horn subs. The DTS-10s went to 8hz in my room. I love mid bass but once you have both at the same levels it is hard going back. I had 12 SI 18s and trust me, midbass from that is on par with all subs with 140 dB capable. Suspended floors would make that hard to control though. Just remember guys, without a blind test we have bias kicking in as well.
post #1212 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Dom , good to see you around a bit. We need Another GTG.
That would be cool to check out your new setup. What are you running now?
post #1213 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Re audio XXX 18s with a LT boost. The speakerpower amp handles it much better being more efficient. I built my own speakers featuring dual 10s and dual ring radiators, they sound fantastic!
SuperFist likes this.
post #1214 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, running hotter and lower is the key.

Here is my response. I don't use any EQ and let my placement do it's thing.

Sorry missed this post. Waaiittttt. This 5Hz boost, is it room gain or you are using LS EQ?
post #1215 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I started with 20mm drivers(DIY). I used to own twin folded horn 18s and Danley DTS-10s and other horn subs. The DTS-10s went to 8hz in my room. I love mid bass but once you have both at the same levels it is hard going back. I had 12 SI 18s and trust me, midbass from that is on par with all subs with 140 dB capable. Suspended floors would make that hard to control though. Just remember guys, without a blind test we have bias kicking in as well.
Sorry couldn't tell if you are using DTS-10 or SI 18's??? I love love love MB punch. I made a recent change and still have to test it out. You are 4 hours away from me by driving . Why all the good setups are so far away. I yet have to find some crazy setup in NJ/PA.
post #1216 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked: 4752
Increasing SPL usually increases TR. Achieving more TR at the same [or lower] SPL is what can be elusive.

I thought I had TR perfected (to my liking) with my Funk Audio horns. I removed the MBMs (Turbosound iP12s) and put them up for sale. I actually lent them to a prospective buyer to trial. Then, when I hosted company my wife insisted I decrease volume. At -10dB midbass TR just wasn't the same. I now have the MBMs back to reintegrate.

While I was a little ticked off at the wife at first, I agree with her. Enough TR allows for full enjoyment at lower SPL levels. I have the bedroom dialed in perfectly. She has never complained about the volume being too high. Main subwoofer is a Monolith 10 firing into a front corner. The secret weapons are dual AR FPS-10s under the beds (split king).

The FPS-10s have a port tune ~40Hz and give me much of the TR a B1200d. However the SQ is night & day better than a B1200d when used as the only sub (even when not deployed nearfield). I am hoping to understand why via measurements.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1217 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Increasing SPL usually increases TR. Achieving more TR at the same [or lower] SPL is what can be elusive.

I thought I had TR perfected (to my liking) with my Funk Audio horns. I removed the MBMs (Turbosound iP12s) and put them up for sale. I actually lent them to a prospective buyer to trial. Then, when I hosted company my wife insisted I decrease volume. At -10dB midbass TR just wasn't the same. I now have the MBMs back to reintegrate.

While I was a little ticked off at the wife at first, I agree with her. Enough TR allows for full enjoyment at lower SPL levels. I have the bedroom dialed in perfectly. She has never complained about the volume being too high. Main subwoofer is a Monolith 10 firing into a front corner. The secret weapons are dual AR FPS-10s under the beds (split king).

The FPS-10s have a port tune ~40Hz and give me much of the TR a B1200d. However the SQ is night & day better than a B1200d when used as the only sub (even when not deployed nearfield). I am hoping to understand why via measurements.
I'm so glad you shared this Marc. I always wanted to have a sub that I could put under my Futon but didn't know that it was commercially available. I did a quick search but couldn't find their main site. Amazon/Ebay selling them but they are all out . I'd buy one in a heart beat and try it out in my office.
post #1218 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 3021
Quote:
I'm so glad you shared this Marc. I always wanted to have a sub that I could put under my Futon but didn't know that it was commercially available. I did a quick search but couldn't find their main site. Amazon/Ebay selling them but they are all out . I'd buy one in a heart beat and try it out in my office.

I looked for them too. Looks like they are discounted and did not see anything replacing them.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev 2 with Paper cone
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - PSA MT 110sr Surrounds - 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #1219 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I looked for them too. Looks like they are discounted and did not see anything replacing them.

Parts Express has something similar in stock (Dayton Audio SUB-1000L).
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...RoCgGUQAvD_BwE

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #1220 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 3021
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

Thanks man. I wonder though if it is powerful enough and the SQ better than behringer and as good as the AR FPS -10

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev 2 with Paper cone
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - PSA MT 110sr Surrounds - 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #1221 of 1713 Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Thanks man. I wonder though if it is powerful enough and the SQ better than behringer and as good as the AR FPS -10

No idea, but at least the port is facing the right way for TR on the Dayton.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #1222 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Sorry missed this post. Waaiittttt. This 5Hz boost, is it room gain or you are using LS EQ?
It is all the above. My drivers, processor, and amp have less rolloff with my room having lots of gain. I think this is with the LFA at half.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #1223 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
^^ You left out an important part: a tiny room
post #1224 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 AM

17x14. Low ceilings but most importantly mostly all concrete walls surrounding the theater.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1225 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Awesome find! I wonder if these would fit underneath my HT seating...hmmm.

My TR is optimized for my MLP. Side seating could use some boost to match MLP...
post #1226 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Re audio XXX 18s with a LT boost. The speakerpower amp handles it much better being more efficient. I built my own speakers featuring dual 10s and dual ring radiators, they sound fantastic!
How many XXX's?
post #1227 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Just 2 for now. Adding two more. The low end is is amazing on these.
post #1228 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 669 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked: 3159
Quote:
Awesome find! I wonder if these would fit underneath my HT seating...hmmm.

My TR is optimized for my MLP. Side seating could use some boost to match MLP...

Hey Paulo, have you see the BOSS thread? I'm trying it out now on my MLP seat and it's pretty great. Combining BOSS with the Crowson currently, and debating getting rid of the VNF sub.

Post 29 has the details:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56519422
post #1229 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@dominguez1 , @MKtheater , @Marc Alexander + others,

As you guys know, I recently moved one of my sub to the front and wanted to compare what difference it brings. I have a question to confirm my understanding before I post my findings of changes. I'll show two FR here from Dirac that will allow you to see Before/After changes Dirac made in the system for sub. My subs provided very good TR when they were both 65" away from MLP but since the FR wasn't as good, I decided to move one sub to front to get better FR. Have a look at this Dirac correction when subs were 65" away specially below 23Hz.

Dirac applies a max of 10dB boost where needed. I designed the custom curve and based on that it boosted 10dB below 23Hz. Please keep in mind that there is a 10dB gain below 23Hz here.

Now have a look at the new correction where 1 sub is on the front and 1 on back. Notice that its pretty much flat below 23Hz here so it had to apply 5dB of boost to match my curve. Its the same curve but since the front sub is providing a lot of gain below 23Hz, Dirac doesn't have to apply more that 5dB to match the curve.

My question: If I want to compare the TR of the system, should I boost below 23Hz 10dB where sub is on the front? Even though in REW the FR looks much better when sub is on the front,it doesn't provide as much TR. Is it because in first case, I had a 10dB of boost below 23Hz and in 2nd its 5dB of boost. Should I boost low end (below 23Hz) to make it an apple to apple comparison??? I firs thought that if FR is matched then we are good but then I'm realizing may be that 10dB boost even though doesn't provide good FR, it still makes the driver move a lot more and therefore provide more TR. Can you please clarify if my understanding is correct???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac before.PNG
Views:	92
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2543918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac now.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2543920  

Last edited by harrisu; 03-24-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #1230 of 1713 Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Paulo, have you see the BOSS thread? I'm trying it out now on my MLP seat and it's pretty great. Combining BOSS with the Crowson currently, and debating getting rid of the VNF sub.

Post 29 has the details:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56519422
Hey Sheldon. I didn’t realize that you had already tried it. How does the BOSS compare to the Crowsons? Is it as good, difference?Can the BOSS replace the Crowsons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page