Subwoofer comparisons and impressions - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2559Likes

post #1921 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i've posted some musings since upgrading to a single jtr captivator 4000ulf last month here on the forum and elsewhere privately (some of which can be found in the official jtr subwoofer thread about a month ago--i still plan on posting something to my youtube channel later). the bottom line is i haven't been chasing "musicality", "tightness" or "mid-bass slam" like some other people prefer here (everyone has their preferences, no judgement on my end). i just wanted the most powerful sub i could fit in my room after finding the limits of the fv25 trio. the single captivator reminds me very much of the tri fv25's, except when those ran out of gas down low this thing just keeps going and starts to scare you when you approach its limits. this is not a slight towards the fv25 as that sub is a beast in its own right, however it's just outclassed with larger & more capable drivers combined with more power & a much larger cabinet--not exactly a fair fight!). i had originally ordered (3) captivators but then life happens and has other plans for you unexpectedly and suddenly you're taking a step back and remembering that this is just a hobby at the end of the day. a second will be added down the road if only to lessen the burden on the single sub and have a higher theoretical ceiling. i've never experienced a sub with this level of brute force, weight, thickness & authority before--it's truly something any basshead needs to experience (especially when the drivers are sitting just a few feet behind the MLP!). it's definitely strange where i'll find myself already satisfied with the output i'm getting and then question if i have the guts to turn it up a tiny bit higher--and then immediately worry about what i'm inevitably breaking elsewhere in the house. i'm in love!
I have compared the JTR Cap 4000ULF and the Rythmik FV25HP extensively, so I know what you were talking about.

Quote:
Oh, and the port wind. Holy mother of god, that port wind.
It's really hard to grasp without experiencing it in person.

This is why I have urged people to have at least a ported JTR pointing at the front of the MLP.
serith likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
Just Another Subwoofer Review and Comparison - Part 2
Quote:
i've posted some musings since upgrading to a single jtr captivator 4000ulf last month here on the forum and elsewhere privately
These reviews are great and are invaluable to new comers/members that are shopping for subs and are not able to audition different subs at home due to return shipping costs. I know measurement graphs are coming with Chucks0, @serith do you think you can provide compression graphs on your 4000 and the FV25's? Reviews and subjective opinions are great but it's greater when there are graphs and measurement to paint the pictures. Thanks.
post #1923 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
These reviews are great and are invaluable to new comers/members that are shopping for subs and are not able to audition different subs at home due to return shipping costs. I know measurement graphs are coming with Chucks0, @serith do you think you can provide compression graphs on your 4000 and the FV25's? Reviews and subjective opinions are great but it's greater when there are graphs and measurement to paint the pictures. Thanks.
Aren't the output compressions for JTR Cap 4000ULF and FV25HP already on Data-Bass?

Not everyone is comfortable doing CS, you know...
serith, MKtheater and rhelliott2 like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
^^ Yeah, but it's still nice to see the in same room CS of the said subs all in one place. Ricci has in room measurements for some subs he tested which I find also beneficial to correlate to outdoor measurements.
post #1925 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked: 4695
@steve1616 here is the link in this thread on the PB16 ultra

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57382636
jamiebosco likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #1926 of 1926 Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks that was a good read. To me it is awesome that you said the PB16 has great TR, and yet the FV18 has even more. Thats exciting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page