subwoofer settings for 5.1 and 2-ch stereo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question subwoofer settings for 5.1 and 2-ch stereo

Hello everyone,

Need a bit of help setting up my system. I have:

- Yamaha RX-V381 5.1 amplifier/receiver
- 5 surround speakers incapable of efficient bass
- Stellar Labs subwoofer amplifier model 50-6269 with a subwoofer speaker

The subwoofer amplifier connected to RX-V381 through RCA line input. RX-V381 has a few HDMI sources (TV, Amazon Fire stick) that sometimes output 5.1 and sometimes 2-ch stereo sound. RX-V381 is set to straight audio, I am not interested in any DSP.

Now is my problem. When the sound source is 5.1 everything is perfect. But when it is 2-ch stereo the subwoofer is silent. What should I change in my connections and/or setting so I can have the subwoofer active in all sound modes without manually adjusting anything?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Don't know your receiver but check in your speaker settings if there is something for 2 ch. I know on mine there is and I can change strictly for 2ch .Large/small/sub/no sub etc etc.I would check what settings you have to see if you have something similar.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
SPEAKER menu items are on pg50 of Yamaha RX-V381 Manual. Be sure that Sub-Woofer is set to "USE" and all speakers set to "SMALL" in order to direct Low-Freqs to the Sub-Woofer. My Rule of Thumb to minimize Distortion is to set the CROSSOVER Frequency to TWICE the -3 dB Roll-Off Freq for your L/R Speakers, which is "typically" 40-Hz, hence 80-Hz is the DEFAULT [unfortunately, many mfrs fudge their Low Freq Roll-Off Specs so the actual -3 dB Freq might be a bit HIGHER than Spec]. If your L/R Speakers are smaller than "usual", check the specs to see if you need to select a higher CROSSOVER Frequency. [Sadly, your AVR does NOT allow for selecting different CROSSOVER Freqs for different Speakers....so you MIGHT need to use a higher CROSSOVER Frequency to reduce Mid-Band Bass Frequency Distortion coming from the Surround Speakers:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...al_English.pdf

Note that there is an optional "EXTRA BASS" selection (Default = "OFF"). You should NOT need to turn this "ON", since it directs Low-Freqs to L/R Speakers in addition to the Sub-Woofer, which Increases rather than Decreases Low-Freq Distortion. [As I understand from reading other Manuals, your Manual is Silent wrt WHAT it really does]. After making sure that everything is set-up as it should be, you can turn this feature ON/OFF via the "BASS" button on the Remote Control. You MAY need to do this to hear BASS when playing a 2-Channel Source (whether STEREO Input....or DD2.0 Input).

You should normally be using STRAIGHT mode (w/o DSP Enhancements), although when playing back a STEREO Source Program you might want to ALSO try some of the Synthetic Surround Sound modes....it MIGHT also improve the sound coming out of the Sub-Woofer....

You should enable TEST TONE (Manual pg52) to verify that all Channels, incl. the Sub-Woofer are indeed WORKING and at roughly equal strength. Since it is possible that YPAO has messed up the Sub-Woofer Level Controls you should first DISABLE it [EQUALIZER = OFF, also on pg52]. With EQ disabled, it's a good time to adjust the Sub-Woofer's Level Control to make sure that it is in the right Ballpark, BEFORE you Enable Room EQ and perform YPAO Room Equalization one more time....

Last edited by holl_ands; 11-14-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
SPEAKER menu items are on pg50 of Yamaha RX-V381 Manual. ....
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. Shame on me for missing this in the manual (its length is not an excuse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
2 channel , 5.1 , stereo , subwoofer , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page