SVS Launches 3000 Series 13" Subwoofers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 357Likes

post #61 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
The PB2000 can be had for $1000 including shipping in Canada.

My question would be what happens when you have a warranty issue?

With SVS I contact the Canadian distributor and it gets handled quickly, hassle free, with the same customer service as the home base in the US.

Who pays to have that X12 shipped back to the US? How quick does the problem get fixed and at what cost?

For many like me there is a value to convenience and customer service.
Usually a subwoofer problem is either the amp or the driver, I think any of the ID manufacturers mentioned would quickly ship a driver or amp to you if necessary. Not saying SVS wouldn't be a safer choice in Canada, but I think Rythmik, HSU and PSA would take reasonably good care of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
PSA does NOT have Canadian distributers
No they don't, but Tom gave me a quote for shipping to the Toronto area that was pretty reasonable. Enrico from Rythmik did as well and while it was a tick more, still didn't too bad. Both of them responded within 24 hours. HSU also quoted me shipping north of the border but they were charging a fair bit more for shipping.
drh3b likes this.
post #63 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
In today's world app support for electronic gadgetry is no longer a feature. It is expected.

Peak output has always been the pinnacle of subworthiness around AVSforum, IMO to the detriment of other very important subwoofer qualities. Don't believe me? Head over to the DIY forums where the guy with the greatest number of 18" subs being powered by his own utility company substation is lauded as having the "best" setup. Now, I'm not saying rigs like that are bad...far from it, they are impressive, but measuring a product's value on output and distortion (or even decay, Xmax etc) alone is an injustice to that firm.
There are lots of ID subs that offer low distortion and high output for less money than SVS. I am not saying SVS is a bad subwoofer but the fact is you pay a premium for the performance vs other ID brands. I have owned multiple SVS products along with many other ID brands and have also built 4 DIY subs. Output (and extension) is not the end all be all, but they are important measurements to consider when talking performance. I actually do like my ultra low distortion Monolith 15's right now.

I am interested in some independent tests of the PB3000. The Monolith 15, for example offers less distortion and better extension with similar output as a PB4000. I would guess the PB3000 will be somewhere between the PB2000 and PB4000 in terms of performance.

I like the idea of the SVS apps too. I doubt the average joe home user will ever use it, but for more advanced users it's a bonus. I use a combination of XT32, the Audyssey app, REW+mic and a minDSP. It's not for the faint of heart and I am still learning and tweaking but I view this as a hobby and I like to learn so it is fun. I hope to get into Dirac Live at some point but I have 13 speakers and 2 subs (hopefully 2 more subs on the way) so it gets expensive for Dirac.
ratbuddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Another big +++

Fact is 99% people on this forum don't run their subs close to the edge, so guess what - that 3-8dB difference in output, which is the *only* criteria discussed in 100000s of threads, is completely meaningless.

The subwoofer wars on Avs are insane. It has literally become a 'whos got the biggest' contest. In a blind test no one here can even tell the difference between the usual ID subs, as has been proven in many GtG's.
I can easily tell a difference between a ultra low distortion subwoofer vs a subwoofer with higher distortion. They have a unique sound to them that is different from other subs. I actually do like to really push my subwoofers from time to time. It's like owning a sports car. Yes you may not need it for daily driving in traffic but when you have the opportunity to put the car through it's paces it's very enjoyable.

If you notice many of the folks who attend these get togethers and experience a higher performance subwoofer end up buying them too. There's a reason for that and I suspect if you experienced one you would want one.
post #65 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
WRONG

I live in Canada and i got the X12 shipped for $168 last year.
I grabbed it up when it was on sale for $579, taxes in it cost me $1050 CDN.
that's still $200 cheaper than the PB2000 in Canada.

FYI

PSA ships to Canada (no duties)
HSU ships to Canada
Rythmik ships to Canada (the actually have really good shipping prices to Canada)

i took the time to email/call all these companies and request quotes.
It's less expensive to ship/import a sub into Canada than it is to ship the same one to Hawaii. Sad, but true.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #66 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Quote:
The problem is even in Canada we cannot get a sub like the Oatlaw Ultra-and we are talking about Canada!!

SVS for some, is the only option for this price category...not PSU, not Rythmik, not Outlaw...
WRONG

FYI

HSU ships to Canada
Rythmik ships to Canada (the actually have really good shipping prices to Canada)

How did you go about getting those shipped? I went on google and typed in PSA subs Canada and nothing comes up...any web link?? I live I. Ontario btw

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #67 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
WRONG

FYI

HSU ships to Canada

With SVS I contact the Canadian distributor and it gets handled quickly, hassle free, with the same customer service as the home base in the US.

Who pays to have that X12 shipped back to the US? How quick does the problem get fixed and at what cost?

Except the Canadian distributed for SVS (electronics for less) has terrible terrible after sales care (well documented)-you might as well deal with a company that is out of the country then try to deal with them once they have your money
BRAC likes this.

Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #68 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How did you go about getting those shipped? I went on google and typed in PSA subs Canada and nothing comes up...any web link?? I live I. Ontario btw
Go to the US site, and deal with them directly.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com
Tom will probably be available for chat, and he can give you an idea how much it will cost to ship to Canada.
iceatola and Pradeep2 like this.
post #69 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 503
The pb2000 is $1079 + taxes(sonicboom and electronicsforless). Which makes is $200+ more expensive

"If" theres a warranty I'll just have then ship me either the driver or amp for next to nothing. Im not worried about at all.
It certainly wont cost $200+

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3

Last edited by macgallant; 11-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.
post #70 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Quote:

Usually a subwoofer problem is either the amp or the driver, I think any of the ID manufacturers mentioned would quickly ship a driver or amp to you if necessary. Not saying SVS wouldn't be a safer choice in Canada, but I think Rythmik, HSU and PSA would take reasonably good care of you.
That sounds like an assumption a bit if there is a problem whereas most people dealing with companies out of the country would want the ease of mind to know FOR SURE how companies would handle claims or from others actual experience not assumptions on what if’s...

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #71 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I look at it differently. It always boils down to price, quality, and service. You get to pick two of the three. I am a dealer for brands like Bryston, Magico, Krell, JLAudio, Arcam, Raihdo, Emotiva and several other premium lines. Many of which are wonderful people to work with. Without question, I find that the customer service of SVS to be #1 out of any brand that I've worked with. I've been doing this for 20 years now. Their incredible corporate culture starts from the top with Gary and it filters down to the rest of their crew. He hires genuinely passionate people and it shows in what they do. What you call "marketing fluff" I call confidence and passion. Back to the topic of service: SVS goes above and beyond in support. Things like trades, fast no-questions-asked repairs, etc. If I made a phone call to anyone of their team on an evening, they would pick up the phone if they are able to. In fact, I wanted to leave a voice mail on Monique's cell about an order change at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night. Much to my surprise, she picked up the phone (I felt bad I was bugging her but I too pick up the phone whenever humanly possible). Their can-do attitude is 2nd to none. No, they are not perfect. But their reputation is often talked about and it has been earned over the years.
Comments like this are gold in the customer service industry. And this is why successful companies can often charge a little bit more if they have a reputation of taking care of the customers with problems. I have an SB13-Ultra that I purchased used and shortly after installing it and during the tweaking process, I couldn't get the rear display to work and the whole sub appeared dead. I called tech support late during Saturday hours and they quickly knew what had happened (bug in processor software) and offered an easy workaround. A few minutes later I was up and running and that's all it took to make a customer happy....good tech support hours (including weekend), knowledgable and patient staff and quick turnaround of equipment when things do fail.
BRAC, iceatola, AmerCa and 1 others like this.
post #72 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
A cylinder is much lighter and takes up less space but is taller, I never understood why its so polarizing and why so many people dislike that shape.

From an engineering perspective, a cylinder is the ideal shape - no joints, much higher strength. The shape is easier to package, costs less to ship etc - its all wins. There are really no downsides except for the looks, which is a strange thing to base decision on for a massive sub.
not that i want to argue... but i don't think it's all wins. it's certainly easier to package and ship cubes than cylinders(less wasted space). this may not be the perfect example, but i've bought and sold quite a few softball bats and they are much cheaper to ship in rectangular boxes than cylinders. i wonder if it's not a lot easier to mass produce a 'box' as well. seems like there'd be more wasted material in the process of creating the tub and circular endcaps. again, i'm not arguing that tubes are terrible, i just think it's more even than you suggested.

i'd say it's polarizing because it's quite unconventional. like, somewhere, deep in my brain, there's something that says 'subwoofers should be boxes'. this is probably the biggest reason people don't like them. like i think for hiding them behind a screen, or something like that, the smaller footprint is nice, but i find them a lot more 'obvious' when placed in a room. and i strongly suspect it's because i 'expect' a short box, but not a tall cylinder.

it's kind of silly how much aesthetics matter for speakers, but it might actually be the second most important thing i consider, after price, when buying these days. subs are a bit different since i usually intend to hide them completely, and can do that, but i've come to the realization that anything 'mid-tier' paired with a decent avr with auto calibration sounds wonderful to my ears. and unless i'm willing to spend a lot more on room treatments, spending more on speakers doesn't give me that 'wow' feeling that makes it all worthwhile.

at the end of the day, the specs seem nearly identical, and the price is the same. so what else COULD you base your decision on if not the way they look?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #73 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
holy cow 15" cube weighs 54.5 lbs!!

that's a pretty tiny space for that much performance!

Driver Size: 13"
Continuous (RMS) Power: 800W
Frequency Response ±3dB: 18-270Hz

compared to my existing Outlaw LFM-1
Driver Type: 10"
Power Rating (RMS): 225W
Frequency Response +/- 2 dB: 25Hz. -180Hz.

i'd probably hear a difference - eh?

Last edited by Toadster; 11-15-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #74 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
I’ve also wondered how much of a premium to put in an app feature...I am likely getting a NAD 758 that has DIRAC...will I really need the app feature if I saved substantially to get a 2000 series vs a 3000 series if I have a GREAT room correction software with Duel subs Without an app feature??!?!
If you read the last paragraph of the statement of mine you quoted, you'll see how I use the app feature along with and independently of Anthem room correction, which is typically regarded on the same level as Dirac. There's really no downside to the app control, but there are advantages.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #75 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Just call them or send them an email

also there's a chat function on there website! i ended up getting a shipping quote directly from Tom via Chat

*Note: Ben from Outlaw has been very quick to respond from any of my inquiries etc(usually within a few hours). the Outlaw X13 will most likely go on sale next week maybe "$999" making it an amazing value

Enrico from Rythmik was also super responsive. $315 taxes/duties/Shipping to Canada for the FVX15 (quote from last year to ship to country land NB lol)

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #76 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
at the end of the day, the specs seem nearly identical, and the price is the same. so what else COULD you base your decision on if not the way they look?
Well for me weight is a big factor. I cannot move a >100lb beast by myself. I see no reason why a sub should be so heavy when its certainly no demanded by the audio needs.
post #77 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Except the Canadian distributed for SVS (electronics for less) has terrible terrible after sales care (well documented)-you might as well deal with a company that is out of the country then try to deal with them once they have your money
My experience with them has been excellent so far.

I'm not interested in importing from another country. SVS is the only product I will consider at this point. A lot of people feel this way. Which is why the a previous poster was saying SVS does big business outside the US. These other companies that make competitive products don't have much world wide market. Someone from the UK isn't likely to import a PSA sub.

I had my SVS subs on my door step in 72 hours when I ordered them. Quick and painless. If you are comfortable with importing from the US that is fine.
AmerCa likes this.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #78 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The problem is even in Canada we cannot get a sub like the Oatlaw Ultra-and we are talking about Canada!!

SVS for some, is the only option for this price category...not PSU, not Rythmik, not Outlaw...
WRONG

FYI

HSU ships to Canada

Just got a PSA quote to Canada and the prices ARE very reasonable even with shipping.

Since you mentioned...how often do PSA subs go on sale or was it a fluke? Should I look at a certain time and really try to save since I’ll be getting two shipped and they seem better value then SVS by comparison...
iceatola likes this.

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #79 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
My experience with them has been excellent so far.

I'm not interested in importing from another country. SVS is the only product I will consider at this point. A lot of people feel this way. Which is why the a previous poster was saying SVS does big business outside the US. These other companies that make competitive products don't have much world wide market. Someone from the UK isn't likely to import a PSA sub.

I had my SVS subs on my door step in 72 hours when I ordered them. Quick and painless. If you are comfortable with importing from the US that is fine.
Electronics for less PRE-sale service for SVS is excellent.

I was referring to POST sale service (when you have an issue or want a return and exchange)-that aspect of their company is actually HORRENDOUS.

I really hope you DONT have a problem with them as you may find at that point it would be easier dealing with a company from the US even with the shipping etc
BRAC likes this.

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #80 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Yep. My wife will listen to music on her iPhone speaker. It kills me. My 9 yo son comes home from school and puts pandora on the real system. He understands quality sound and bass already.
My twin boys often listen to my dual s3601 at -5 mv...... I could tell when I came home from work the other day and my garage was pressurized
vardo and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #81 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I will say they sound very interesting. I will see how the perform in my theater. I will say still if you are looking for serious thump on the cheap look into the Polk Audio HTS 12 Subwoofer. One of my Top Choice on the list I posted a bit ago.

https://www.avsforum.com/best-subwoo...500-on-amazon/

Chemistry baby!
post #82 of 282 Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are actually PSA distributorships in Britain, The EU, and other places.
They don't need one in Canada, they handle that directly themselves.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/warranty
post #83 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Is it just me or do some sub brands have too many models? Would the price be lower if they had less models.
What is wrong with having one model per driver size with a ported or sealed option.
Bigger market growth = more variety to cater to each level of audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I can't believe you guys are griping over a few hundred bucks. That's not a lot of money these days...certainly not to most people with a hobby like AV. Can we instead say that this is the least costly product in the SVS lineup to feature app based control, and if their marketing is to be noticed also one of the more advanced designs? Really, that's not worth a few hundred bucks over the 2000 line?

Also, what HSU is doing is irrelevant because they don't have app based control. Say what you want about making it simple and cheaper, but in advanced systems having not only levels but delay and parametric EQ bands adjustable on the fly from your phone while seated at the MLP is a game changer. For instance, I can run the Anthem correction used as a measurement tool to tweak the SB16s' EQ, then turn the Anthem correction off so as not to molest my full range but still retain flat response under my crossover frequency....all from my phone...on my couch. Really, thats not worth 200 bucks? Give me a break.
It's not a "few hundred bucks" being the issue, don't be so narrow minded.

I could use that "few hundred bucks" and put it into a minidsp, then get a **** ton more control than any phone app ever will be able to achieve. Ever thought about that?

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #84 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Electronics for less PRE-sale service for SVS is excellent.

I was referring to POST sale service (when you have an issue or want a return and exchange)-that aspect of their company is actually HORRENDOUS.

I really hope you DONT have a problem with them as you may find at that point it would be easier dealing with a company from the US even with the shipping etc
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. All I can go by is the one time I had to send back the first svs soundpath wireless adapter because it wasnt able to get a signal for some reason. They helped me out very quickly and even sent out a new unit before even sending me the Return papers for the unit I had. Got it about 5 days later with no real issue. Also as far as quality, I thought I had some how got the one bad one, nope, turns out I'm a complete moron and didnt realize the soundpath was directional. Once I figured that out, its worked 100% . So one point for stupidity lol happy I figured it out, because it sold me on being able to upgrade my subwoofer finally
Sask HT likes this.
post #85 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. All I can go by is the one time I had to send back the first svs soundpath wireless adapter because it wasnt able to get a signal for some reason. They helped me out very quickly and even sent out a new unit before even sending me the Return papers for the unit I had. Got it about 5 days later with no real issue. Also as far as quality, I thought I had some how got the one bad one, nope, turns out I'm a complete moron and didnt realize the soundpath was directional. Once I figured that out, its worked 100% . So one point for stupidity lol happy I figured it out, because it sold me on being able to upgrade my subwoofer finally
There were some bad reports a few months ago, hopefully SVS straightened them out, you know they won't want a distributorship hurting their brand.
post #86 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
I will say they sound very interesting. I will see how the perform in my theater. I will say still if you are looking for serious thump on the cheap look into the Polk Audio HTS 12 Subwoofer. One of my Top Choice on the list I posted a bit ago.

https://www.avsforum.com/best-subwoo...500-on-amazon/
I understand that everyone has a budget. But it lost my interest because it only goes down to 28 Hz (-3db). Even worse, it's a fairly large sub at around 18" cube. See https://www.polkaudio.com/products/hts12 With the pending SB3000, it's a much smaller to the eye 15" cube and it goes down 18 Hz (-3db).

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #87 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I understand that everyone has a budget. But it lost my interest because it only goes down to 28 Hz (-3db). Even worse, it's a fairly large sub at around 18" cube. See https://www.polkaudio.com/products/hts12 With the pending SB3000, it's a much smaller to the eye 15" cube and it goes down 18 Hz (-3db).
Yes I understand that. It depends on what type of budget you have. I think the SVS stuff looks very nice! I cant wait to test it. But most people don't ness. have a cool grand to drop on a sub. That being said 2 subs as you know are always better than one. Which is why I suggest that specific sub.

Chemistry baby!
post #88 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
Yes I understand that. It depends on what type of budget you have. I think the SVS stuff looks very nice! I cant wait to test it. But most people don't ness. have a cool grand to drop on a sub. That being said 2 subs as you know are always better than one. Which is why I suggest that specific sub.
The reason why the SB3000 costs a grand is because of its massive and articulate output relative to its size. It's why SVS designed the SB3000. If someone wanted cheaper woofage, then they should go ported and take the trade-off with having the driver contained in a bigger box. But that wasn't the design objective for the SB3000. They wanted smaller, more output, and for it to go deeper.

As for two subs always better than one. Not when you have a compromise. For instance I'm not willing to give up 10 Hz (28Hz Polk versus 18Hz SVS; -3dB). Other people may not care. Truth be told, 99% of my personal listening time I need a maximum of 2 seats to perform well. A good placement in combo with the SVS app, fixes that problem. So for me, one great sub (the smaller the better) that also plays deep frequencies is what I personally want. Same for a lot of my customers. For my stereo system, I need EQ is so I have the apps works wonders. Barring that, I personally won't own a ported sub (or if I do, it will be plugged). Subjectively speaking, my ears are sensitive to the perceived overhang from ported subs. It's why I've owned JL's, SVS (only sealed), Martin Logan, and way-back-when, the DD series of Velodyne.

Others want even more output and for the frequencies to go even deeper. They take the compromise of putting "caskets" in their home. If it is dedicated and behind a screen, why not? But it's always about trade-offs. Long-gone are the days since SVS catered to the "casket" crowd. Over the past 5+ years, SVS caters to the mainstream passionate subwoofer enthusiasts. People in the DIY crowd or in the "blow your eardrums out" SPL camp need not apply. the sub wasn't designed or marketed for them. SVS isn't shooting for output per dollar folks either. Rather, their value-add is smaller boxes with a plethora of output. Now, with features that a lot of people want. Their model seems to be working rather well for them. Those are the people I sell to.

I'm not taking anything from the Polk especially for the price. I think it looks really nice in the flesh (they were playing them at CEDIA). I'm positive that you are spot-on and it is a amazing sub for the money! But for me personally, give me one SB3000 over a pair of Polk's. I realize there are others that pick two Polk's (for their room and application). I'm right and they are right. Because it's their checkbook. Hence, YMMV.
audiocologne and AmerCa like this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video

Last edited by SteveH; 11-16-2018 at 07:48 AM.
post #89 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The reason why the SB3000 costs a grand is because of its massive and articulate output relative to its size. It's why SVS designed the SB3000. If someone wanted cheaper woofage, then they should go ported and take the trade-off with having the driver contained in a bigger box. But that wasn't the design objective for the SB3000. They wanted smaller, more output, and for it to go deeper.

As for two subs always better than one. Not when you have a compromise. For instance I'm not willing to give up 10 Hz (28Hz Polk versus 18Hz SVS; -3dB). Other people may not care. Truth be told, 99% of my personal listening time I need a maximum of 2 seats to perform well. A good placement in combo with the SVS app, fixes that problem. So for me, one great sub (the smaller the better) that also plays deep frequencies is what I personally want. Same for a lot of my customers. For my stereo system, I need EQ is so I have the apps works wonders. Barring that, I personally won't own a ported sub (or if I do, it will be plugged). Subjectively speaking, my ears are sensitive to the perceived overhang from ported subs. It's why I've owned JL's, SVS (only sealed), Martin Logan, and way-back-when, the DD series of Velodyne.

Others want even more output and for the frequencies to go even deeper. They take the compromise of putting "caskets" in their home. If it is dedicated and behind a screen, why not? But it's always about trade-offs. Long-gone are the days since SVS catered to the "casket" crowd. Over the past 5+ years, SVS caters to the mainstream passionate subwoofer enthusiasts. People in the DIY crowd or in the "blow your eardrums out" SPL camp need not apply. the sub wasn't designed or marketed for them. SVS isn't shooting for output per dollar folks either. Rather, their value-add is smaller boxes with a plethora of output. Now, with features that a lot of people want. Their model seems to be working rather well for them. Those are the people I sell to.

I'm not taking anything from the Polk especially for the price. I think it looks really nice in the flesh (they were playing them at CEDIA). I'm positive that you are spot-on and it is a amazing sub for the money! But for me personally, give me one SB3000 over a pair of Polk's. I realize there are others that pick two Polk's (for their room and application). I'm right and they are right. Because it's their checkbook. Hence, YMMV.
Deff not arguing with you on any of that. I agree, but in the end of day peoples checkbook and wives may not want them to spend 1k on a sub. I had 2 of the SVS SB 4000 in house for testing and I'm sure I will do the same with the 3000. They build incredible products it just depends on the application and check book most have. I have 4 Velodynes in my theater, so trust em I get it
SteveH and AmerCa like this.

Chemistry baby!
post #90 of 282 Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
...Others want even more output and for the frequencies to go even deeper. They take the compromise of putting "caskets" in their home...
Caskets = large subwoofers. LOL. There is a cartoon there somewhere:

First guy: "Is that a funeral?"
Second guy: "Nah. Subwoofer delivery."
SteveH, scottiemon and Pitbull0669 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
3000 series , subwoofer , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page