Should I upgrade my subwoofers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By golden78
  • 1 Post By eljaycanuck
  • 1 Post By golden78

post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Should I upgrade my subwoofers?

At first glance, my two Polk PSW10 subs are not great. At 50W RMS, they are low powered compared to other budget subs. However...

My room is 20ft long by 15ft wide. 110" projection with 5.2.4 speaker setup. AVR is Onkyo TX-NR787

Speakers are: 5 Polk OWM5 (FL,C,FR,SL,SR) and 4 Polk OWM3 (Top Front & Top Back). I have the OWM5's set to 100Hz and the OWM3's at 120Hz.

Subwoofer 1 is 12ft in front of the listening position in the corner. Subwoofer 2 is 5ft to the right of the listening position.

I've been thinking of upgrading my subwoofers. Looking to stay budget friendly in the $200-$300 range. My research has landed on the BIC America F12 or the hard to find at a good price Klipsch SUB12hg. My speakers are entry level, so purchasing a high end sub seems silly. However, I've read that even the F12's powered/output could drown out small speakers. My Polk PSW10's chatter at high bass points and can't get very low.

What is the recommended suggestions? Stick with the PSW10's? Replace two entry level subs with one mid range sub? Or buy two BIC F12's? **Main use is for movies...not music***

Gus R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Rodeen View Post
At first glance, my two Polk PSW10 subs are not great. At 50W RMS, they are low powered compared to other budget subs. However...

My room is 20ft long by 15ft wide. 110" projection with 5.2.4 speaker setup. AVR is Onkyo TX-NR787

Speakers are: 5 Polk OWM5 (FL,C,FR,SL,SR) and 4 Polk OWM3 (Top Front & Top Back). I have the OWM5's set to 100Hz and the OWM3's at 120Hz.

Subwoofer 1 is 12ft in front of the listening position in the corner. Subwoofer 2 is 5ft to the right of the listening position.

I've been thinking of upgrading my subwoofers. Looking to stay budget friendly in the $200-$300 range. My research has landed on the BIC America F12 or the hard to find at a good price Klipsch SUB12hg. My speakers are entry level, so purchasing a high end sub seems silly. However, I've read that even the F12's powered/output could drown out small speakers. My Polk PSW10's chatter at high bass points and can't get very low.

What is the recommended suggestions? Stick with the PSW10's? Replace two entry level subs with one mid range sub? Or buy two BIC F12's? **Main use is for movies...not music***
Are you saying budget is 600$ for 2 subs? iF you really want to upgrade my suggestion would be to use money for 2 subs and get 1 really nice sub . Hopefully being almost black friday there will be sales everywhere. I think that would make way more of a impact in upgrading vs 2 cheaper new subs. I got my monolith 12 for 650$ on ebay when had ebay sale and monoprice sale and it made huuuge difference vs the 2 smaller 10" subs i have and my room is 19.5x13 feet. but thats just my opinion
AmerCa likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
Are you saying budget is 600$ for 2 subs? iF you really want to upgrade my suggestion would be to use money for 2 subs and get 1 really nice sub . Hopefully being almost black friday there will be sales everywhere. I think that would make way more of a impact in upgrading vs 2 cheaper new subs. I got my monolith 12 for 650$ on ebay when had ebay sale and monoprice sale and it made huuuge difference vs the 2 smaller 10" subs i have and my room is 19.5x13 feet. but thats just my opinion
Thank you @golden78

I'll keep an eye out for black friday sales... maybe I'll get lucky.

That being said, it sounds like you would suggest 1 GOOD subwoofer over 2 entry level subs... correct?

Thanks

Gus R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Rodeen
... My room is 20ft long by 15ft wide. ... I've been thinking of upgrading my subwoofers. Looking to stay budget friendly in the $200-$300 range. ... My speakers are entry level, so purchasing a high end sub seems silly. What is the recommended suggestions? Stick with the PSW10's? Replace two entry level subs with one mid range sub? Or buy two BIC F12's? **Main use is for movies...not music***
Definitely replace the Polk subs. Even one good mid-range sub will blow them away. Properly integrated into your system, it shouldn't overpower - only complement - your speakers.

A pair of BIC F-12 subs ($220/ea., shipped, at parts-express.com) would be a HUGE step up. If the option exists of getting one of something a bit better now and doubling up when additional funds become available, consider the well-rated RSL Speedwoofer 10S ($399, shipped).
iceatola likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Definitely replace the Polk subs. Even one good mid-range sub will blow them away. Properly integrated into your system, it shouldn't overpower - only complement - your speakers.

A pair of BIC F-12 subs ($220/ea., shipped, at parts-express.com) would be a HUGE step up. If the option exists of getting one of something a bit better now and doubling up when additional funds become available, consider the well-rated RSL Speedwoofer 10S ($399, shipped).
I'm new to the forum and this is the first I've heard of the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. Based on the Sound & Vision and Audioholics reviews, it seems very impressive. That may be the direction I go now. Based on the Sound and Vision review, just one RSL Speedwoofer would be a massive improvement over my two PSW10's.

Any other SINGLE SUBWOOFER options I should look at in the $400 range? The RSL seems tough to beat. I haven't seen a subwoofer below $500 that can get to 20Hz (although the RSL barely does)

Thanks everyone

Gus R
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2612
In the $400-$500 range I'd look at the
- Monoprice Monolith 10" ($499.99, shipped, at monoprice.com)
- SVS PB-1000 ($499.99, shipped, at svsound.com)

The Monolith is the stronger performer, but the PB-1000 is no slouch and SVS has a stellar customer-service reputation.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 11-15-2018 at 11:45 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The newer polk think called hts12 goes for 450 but prob can get cheaper and. There is a nice review on avforums had very good reviews . Rsl speedwoofer doesn't go low at all maybe 30hz? So for mainly movies I would skip it . Also martin logan dynamo 700 because new models are now being discontinued and going for 400-450 new. That is 10 inch sub and tiny and wireless but performs above its size .All rooms are different as far as bass response but I have no issues in my room with my monolith 12 . Maybe can find a used pb2000 or a psa sub local for salw i got
Psa 15v for 550 shipped a while back just have keep checking forum. When you step up to 500$ and up subwoofer you really do start to get a much better sub and sound.it really does make the most noticeable difference when upgrading your subwoofer. But it's your money you could try sell your 2 subs and put towards upgrading also.
AmerCa likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can try the bic acoustech subwoofer. It'll probably be on sale on amazon for black friday. Reading reviews it has dropped to 250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page