1Likes
  • 1 Post By TStubb

post #1 of 6 Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
2 SB12-NSD vs 1 PB12-NSD

Which one wins SPL? Which one wins depth? Which would you pick if you only have room for one or the other? (I am not subwoofer chart savvy, lol)
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-21-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 969
I owned the PB12-NSD before, great sub for the money.

Your question sounds more like a budget question tho.

And since I was in your shoes literally one year ago, I would say get one PB12-NSD now, then save up for a 2nd one whenever you can.

There's tons of questions we can ask you to help you better, but, I think with your question worded the way it is, the simplest answer is the one I gave you.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
That is part of it. However I simply don't want to spend a grand on subs now or later, so no interest in adding more down the line. Also, the area in my entertainment center where I will place them could house 2 SB12's, or 1 PB12.

So my question is simply as stated, which option would have more output, and which could reach a lower frequency. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
I owned the PB12-NSD before, great sub for the money.

Your question sounds more like a budget question tho.

And since I was in your shoes literally one year ago, I would say get one PB12-NSD now, then save up for a 2nd one whenever you can.

There's tons of questions we can ask you to help you better, but, I think with your question worded the way it is, the simplest answer is the one I gave you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 514
It would take roughly 3x SB12s to match the PB12 in output from 16hz to 30hz. Above that, the SB12 and PB12 are pretty much the same.

The SB12 however will continue to have output down to 12hz where as the PB12 just dies off after its port tune (17hz). So depending on your room size, you may still get some infrasonic benefits due to room gain especially with 2 SB12s over a single PB12.

I'd always take 2 subs over 1 sub to be honest. 2 SB12s while it would not even give you more output than the PB12 below 30hz, you would however benefit from a much better in-room response. That's a lot more important than just output really, unless you're in a 6,000 cu. ft room or even bigger where room modes then start to become less of an issue.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #5 of 6 Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
I'd always take 2 subs over 1 sub to be honest. 2 SB12s while it would not even give you more output than the PB12 below 30hz, you would however benefit from a much better in-room response.
It sounds like OP isn't placing the 2 too far apart to get a good response to make the 2 worth it. I'm all for dual subs but if 2 don't compete with 1 pb12 then he's better off with just the pb12.

To the OP:

I understand not wanting to spend much on subs. I didn't wanna spend more than $300 Black Friday 2017, but then I found that same PB12-NSD for $499, bought it and realized what good bass sounded like and became addicted like many here lol.

So fast forward one year later, it's the present, and now my budget is $6k..... remember, I didn't wanna spend more than $300 originally.....

Get the biggest sub you can fit/afford first, then save up to get the matching pair later.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-22-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 9195
depends on your room size and placement. smallish room, with music as a primary source, dual SB12 will fit the bill as they will have more output then a single PB12 above 30hz. If you are strictly focused on action movie play back in a larger room, the PB12 due to its output advantage in the 16-25hz. Also for the price of dual SB12's you can get a HSU VTF3.5 for a little more(759.00 + shipping) and step up to the big leagues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page